Dreger: Islanders 1st round pick to vegas (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Or he does a deal to protect the forwards and then trades CDH. Vegas doesn't get CDH.

Vegas has to negotiate knowing teams will trade players if they are pushed too hard. Vegas did very well to get a mid-1st. NYI did well to lose some salary.

It's win-win and far better than forcing a scenario where they both lose.

Snow and McPhee are friends with a history together. Having another GM as a friend is an invaluable asset, for McPhee to break or weaken that bond before the puck drops on Vegas first game of hockey wouldn't be very smart.

It's not like Vegas gets entirely ripped off. 15th overall is nothing to sneeze at, and McPhee has gone on record as wanting draft picks to build his team with youth.

Does McPhee perhaps owe Snow a gentlemen's favor somewhere down the line? Probably.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Grabo is on the injured list and cannot be taken. I can see Kulemin going, but I hope Hickey is the guy!

There is no off-season IR, and in any case an injury wouldn't prevent Vegas from taking the player. You are confusing the expansion draft with a buy out. You can't buy out an injured player but expansion draft is different.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Kulemin is a good player with a contract that soon ends and Las Vegas needs to get over the floor in some way or another. It's probably smart to have some Russian veterans in the team as Shipayov will join without any prior experience of the NHL or North America.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
You're wrong, just look at the 1st page on the Islanders Expansion thread. Most of the posters on your board were perplexed when the protection list was first announced which is natural in the heat of the moment. Most Oiler fans were perplexed by the Hall trade when it was first announced and most love it now so it happens.

In any event, Vegas taking Kulemin makes sense and benefits both teams. They get the 15th pick+Kulemin instead of just De Haan, Nelson or Strome and they get a veteran Russian teammate for Shipachyov to ease his transition. The Isles get to keep their more important players and clear cap space to add a top 6 forward.

yes, most of the posters were perplexed, a few were hysterical, but many others were silent. in no way does the posting of a few dozen, represent the majority.

the best scenario is that the Isles gave the 1st, and get to choose who LV gets. someone like Bernier. this is awfully optimistic, i agree. another scenario, is that we give LV our 1st, they get to choose a player (Cizikas?) and we get to throw in a dump, like Grabovski. so many possibilities.

i like Kulemin. and Hickey too, but believe it or not, at forward, where his size is less of an issue. but i am neutral about them both. given their bloated contracts, i could take them or leave them.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Last edited:

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Newsday Sports:
Isles have deal with Vegas, likely will lose Nikolay Kulemin in expansion draft | @StapeNewsday http://nwsdy.li/2sQCJqG
https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/876935524266725376

Elliotte Friedman:
Isles likely trading Mikhail Grabovski to Vegas along with first-round pick in expansion deal, sources say: http://nwsdy.li/2skkxEZ
https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/876958109016743936

That would be a good haul for Vegas

IMHO, the deal is Isles send 15th overall + Grabo and Vegas select Kuli. Good deal for BOTH teams.

After Staple posted that article, the NHL and Snow reamed him out and told him to take out Kuli's name as per NHL wanting no leaks.

And again, for those saying, "why doesn't vegas just take CDH or Nelson," the Isles protected list and current roster would have looked VERY different if Snow and GMGM didn't make this deal. For example, CDH would have been protected and perhaps Nelson/Strome traded weeks ago.

In sum, the trade shaped the Isles protected list.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
IMHO, the deal is Isles send 15th overall + Grabo and Vegas select Kuli. Good deal for BOTH teams.

After Staple posted that article, the NHL and Snow reamed him out and told him to take out Kuli's name as per NHL wanting no leaks.

And again, for those saying, "why doesn't vegas just take CDH or Nelson," the Isles protected list and current roster would have looked VERY different if Snow and GMGM didn't make this deal. For example, CDH would have been protected and perhaps Nelson/Strome traded weeks ago.

In sum, the trade shaped the Isles protected list.
So you mean to tell me people vastly over reacted about the protection list?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There is no off-season IR, and in any case an injury wouldn't prevent Vegas from taking the player. You are confusing the expansion draft with a buy out. You can't buy out an injured player but expansion draft is different.

Grabovski is not eligible to be taken in the expansion draft due to injury, so he's not on this list. He could be traded, though.

https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-list-for-vegas-golden-knights-nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722

Available players
Josh Bailey (F)
Steve Bernier (F)
Eric Boulton (F)
Jason Chimera (F)
Casey Cizikas (F)
Cal Clutterbuck (F)
Stephen Gionta (F)
Ben Holmstrom (F)
Bracken Kearns (F)
Nikolay Kulemin (F)
Brock Nelson (F)
Shane Prince (F)
Alan Quine (F)
Ryan Strome (F)
Johan Sundstrom (F)
Calvin de Haan (D)
Matthew Finn (D)
Jesse Graham (D)
Thomas Hickey (D)
Loic Leduc (D)
Scott Mayfield (D)
Dennis Seidenberg (D)
Jean-Francois Berube (G)
Christopher Gibson (G)
Jaroslav Halak (G)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-issues-list-of-expansion-exempt-players-1.741493

The National Hockey League has designated a list of injured players who will be exempt from the upcoming expansion selection for the Vegas Golden Knights.

In a memo sent out to all 31 teams on Tuesday, the NHL - in agreement with the NHL Players' Association - says the players cannot be used to meet the minimum criteria for their protected lists nor are they forced to use a protected list spot on them.

The players include forwards David Bolland and Craig Cunningham and defenceman Chris Pronger of the Arizona Coyotes, Buffalo Sabres forward Cody McCormick, winger David Clarkson of the Columbus Blue Jackets, winger Johan Franzen and centre Joe Vitale of the Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Devils winger Ryane Clowe, New York Islanders centre Mikhail Grabovski, Pascal Dupuis of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and winger Nathan Horton and blueliner Stephane Robidas of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Has it been confirmed that the 1st round pick is this year?

No. Just a first round pick. I would assume it's this years as GMGM is aware that Snow is trying to land multiple top 6 forwards and if that's the case, the Isles would be picking higher than 15 next year.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Has it been confirmed that the 1st round pick is this year?

Nothing has been officially confirmed. Between the reports and the Islanders otherwise bizarre protected list, you would think that the trade is indeed happening, but we really don't know anything for sure.

Considering the perceived weakness of this draft (perhaps GMs have a different view), its possible they'd rather part with a '17 pick vs. an '18 pick. Of course, with Snow's delusions of greatness, he probably thinks the Isles are picking 30/31 next year so maybe he'll push it off til then.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
No. Just a first round pick. I would assume it's this years as GMGM is aware that Snow is trying to land multiple top 6 forwards and if that's the case, the Isles would be picking higher than 15 next year.

Yeah but '18 is also supposed to be a better draft crop, so the two picks might have equal value.

In any case, this is a great move by Snow imo. Losing both Kulemin and Grabovski, basically undoing a bad decision to sign both, helps the franchise immensely. Well worth surrendering a first, imo.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

This is why I'm asking. I'm looking at Snow's side of it instead of GM. I think it's crazy enough that Snow is giving a 1st. So I'm questioning if maybe he's confident in the moves he's making this offseason that he'll build a much better team and the pick next year won't be nearly as valuable.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
So say Vegas picked Dehaan instead, they couldn't have gotten better than a 1st, Grabovski and Kulemin if they decided to flip him ?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Staple just tweeted that he doesn't think Kulemin is the player being selected.

He also just responded to a tweet I sent him asking about the year of the draft pick. He said it's the 2017 1st.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
So say Vegas picked Dehaan instead, they couldn't have gotten better than a 1st, Grabovski and Kulemin if they decided to flip him ?

De Haan would have been protected without a deal already worked out. Same scenario as the Ducks. Neither team will lose anything they don't want to.

I

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
This is why I'm asking. I'm looking at Snow's side of it instead of GM. I think it's crazy enough that Snow is giving a 1st. So I'm questioning if maybe he's confident in the moves he's making this offseason that he'll build a much better team and the pick next year won't be nearly as valuable.

Staple just confirmed that it's this year's pick and the Isles roster player that isn't being moved to Vegas is NOT Kuli. Perhaps it's Hickey or Halak.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

AGAIN. If Snow did not have this deal in place, CDH would have been protected. Vegas was never going to be able to pick him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple just tweeted that he doesn't think Kulemin is the player being selected.

He also just responded to a tweet I sent him asking about the year of the draft pick. He said it's the 2017 1st.

Yup, gotta be Hickey or Halak at this point.

I'm leaning towards Hickey, because unless Vegas already has a buyer lined up for Halak, him backing up Fleury will not likely be a happy marriage.

Plus, Staple named dropped Hickey as a potential captain for Vegas a while back.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Yup, gotta be Hickey or Halak at this point.

I'm leaning towards Hickey, because unless Vegas already has a buyer lined up for Halak, him backing up Fleury will not likely be a happy marriage.

Plus, Staple named dropped Hickey as a potential captain for Vegas a while back.

See thats more likely to me than a retraction based on not allowing certain names to leak.

Might have just gotten some wires crossed.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Sounds like he's just covering his ass now. Like when you watch a movie with someone where you know the ending but they don't.

"Does he die? I bet he dies."

"No, no, he doesn't die I promise."

"Dammit I knew he was going to die."

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
Sounds like he's just covering his ass now. Like when you watch a movie with someone where you know the ending but they don't.

"Does he die? I bet he dies."

"No, no, he doesn't die I promise."

"Dammit I knew he was going to die."

LOL!

Probably true. It's either Kuli/Halak/Hickey + 2017 1st + Grabo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad