Dreger: Islanders 1st round pick to vegas (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yes, keep eating up Staple. He definitely sounds like he knows what the hell he is talking about. He can't even get his players in order. I bet you it's not Grabovski or Kulemin and it's actually 2017 1st + something else to not pick a forward. Seeing how big of a gong show this has been, I don't know how anyone could think Hall for Hamonic was even true...:shakehead

Just awful reporting. Eklund-esque bad. At least PRETEND you heard SOMETHING then say it was nixed...

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Yes, keep eating up Staple. He definitely sounds like he knows what the hell he is talking about. He can't even get his players in order. I bet you it's not Grabovski or Kulemin and it's actually 2017 1st + something else to not pick a forward. Seeing how big of a gong show this has been, I don't know how anyone could think Hall for Hamonic was even true...:shakehead

Just awful reporting. Eklund-esque bad. At least PRETEND you heard SOMETHING then say it was nixed...

you don't even follow the isles but you're furious that our beat writer tried to get information.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This seems to be one of the times where Art is not simply serving as the official "unofficial team leaker" and is actually trying to do some investigating via his contacts. Looks like he's getting the general concept down but having trouble with the details. Not the easiest task considering the team he's dealing with here.

This whole investigative journalism is new to him so we need to cut him some slack.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
How do you correlate what he said with being salty about Reinhart???
how can u say someone is salty when u go there right away??

Anyway, if I'm McPhee I'm not sure how grabo and a first is more valuable that CDH or strome or nelson. Just seems like he's losing value unless he loves draft picks

Simple, bc those players wouldn't be unprotected if Snow didn't have this deal in place.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
Hypothetically if we trade one of De Haan/Hamonic do you want our defense to be

Leddy-Boychuk
Seidenberg-De Haan/Hamonic
Pelech-Pulock
Mayfield

With first call up being Devon Toews?

I would not. I think a depth dman would be availible during free agency for a small price

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Simple, bc those players wouldn't be unprotected if Snow didn't have this deal in place.

Well, can't wait to see what the deal is. I can't believe i'm saying this, but I'm actually excited for the NHL awards show tomorrow :dunno::whatever::skeptic::skeptic:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yup, gotta be Hickey or Halak at this point.

I'm leaning towards Hickey, because unless Vegas already has a buyer lined up for Halak, him backing up Fleury will not likely be a happy marriage.

Plus, Staple named dropped Hickey as a potential captain for Vegas a while back.

If the deal was agreed to before the freeze started I can't imagine any way Vegas would have had a buyer already lined up and agreed to select Halak. It's likely Vegas didn't start agreeing to any pick and flips until after the protection lists were announced.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Staple just happens to be the source when it comes to Islanders information. When he reports something you can basically take it to the bank. We'll know tomorrow for sure, but far more likely this happened...

Probably because Islanderland is up in arms over the protected list and perhaps even threatening to cancel season tickets, Staple is given a scoop which is basically an article perfectly situated to calm fans (customers) fears:

Then McKenzie blows it into the hockey stratosphere...

Almost immediately the NHL offices catch wind of this report and it goes exactly against their desire to have ALL VEGAS DEALS announced Wednesday at the same time. They reach out to Staple/Newsday and order some sort of retraction...

Staple brings up his most recent article on Microsoft Word and makes a few small edits (really just taking any mention of Kulemin out of the article and replacing his photo with one of snow). He is also still allowed to mention Grabovski because everyone knows he's basically retired. He then uploads it to Newsday.com and Tweets...

And just in case anyone stumbled across his first "Kulemin" article, he reposts the new one to fully satisfy the league office...

And of course McKenzie follows suit...

I have no doubt that apologies were issued in private and all very stressful for Staple and thus...

All that said, it doesn't change the fact that Staple's original article is probably accurate and Kulemin and Grabovski are going to Vegas for the 2017 1st rounder and perhaps a 3rd in 2018.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

To his credit, he has admitted and apologized for the shoddy reporting.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
isles should have protected strome/nelson over ladd and how snake would it be if vegas was planning on taking de haan instead of those forwards?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Anyone discuss this tweet response yet? Staple responded to a fan specifically signaling out Strome, Nelson, and CDH as three of the players (among a couple of others) that the Isles are paying Vegas not to take.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Anyone discuss this tweet response yet? Staple responded to a fan specifically signaling out Strome, Nelson, and CDH as three of the players (among a couple of others) that the Isles are paying Vegas not to take.

I'd have to think it would take more than a 1st to protect all 3?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why pay a 1st if it won't protect your good players?

If they want a 1st but still want to take Nelson or De Haan, just let them take one and keep the 1st.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007

And he mentioned they weren't taking Kulemin, right? At that point it could be anyone, you could make a case for Hickey, Cizikas, Halak... prob not Clutterbuck but who knows.

I also still wonder if Pelech was kept because he's the defenseman who has been dangled in a trade. Of course nobody but Isles fans know about him but he does still have some decent upside and he's looked good so far.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Why pay a 1st if it won't protect your good players?

If they want a 1st but still want to take Nelson or De Haan, just let them take one and keep the 1st.

Garth has an elaborate plan and like last year's attempt to sign Stamkos, it might blow up in his face.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Garth has an elaborate plan and like last year's attempt to sign Stamkos, it might blow up in his face.

McPhee and Snow seem to have a great relationship, seems like there's real trust there. I doubt either are there to screw the other over. Gouging for Snow is only reserved for Chiarelli it seems. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad