Dreger: Islanders 1st round pick to vegas (per source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Staples is the same level as a reporter as Snow is a GM. Loved the posts last night of Snow being a genius of shedding both Kulimen and Grabovski while keeping all his top forwards and Defence. Now we know the Isle turning doen Hall for Hamonic Bs as well.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
McPhee and Snow seem to have a great relationship, seems like there's real trust there. I doubt either are there to screw the other over. Gouging for Snow is only reserved for Chiarelli it seems. :sarcasm:

The Oilers winning the McDavid sweepstakes is literally going to keep Chiarelli in a job for years.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd have to think it would take more than a 1st to protect all 3?

"I think Vegas should ask for more than a 1st for that" is kind of just an opinion. An opinion that goes against what our one insider is saying.

Why pay a 1st if it won't protect your good players?

If they want a 1st but still want to take Nelson or De Haan, just let them take one and keep the 1st.

Exactly. This is a trade between two friends where both sides get what they want - Islanders get cap relief and retention of all their key assets, Vegas gets a nice pick and I still believe Snow owes McPhee a favor.

What's the other scenario? Snow or McPhee play hardball, no agreement, Snow panics and trades CDH for ED-exempt assets but loses the trade on value. Snow loses, McPhee doesn't get his 1st and settles for a worse player from NYI, but meanwhile the Sabres win because they were able to snag a top-4 defenseman for cheap. Snow/McPhee's GM relationship also dwindles.

And he mentioned they weren't taking Kulemin, right? At that point it could be anyone, you could make a case for Hickey, Cizikas, Halak... prob not Clutterbuck but who knows.

I also still wonder if Pelech was kept because he's the defenseman who has been dangled in a trade. Of course nobody but Isles fans know about him but he does still have some decent upside and he's looked good so far.

Really don't think it's Halak from a pure Vegas perspective. After Fleury there are plenty of interesting names - Mrazek, Grabauer, Subban, Raanta, to give Fleury a solid backup.

Right now, I'd bet it's either going to be Kulemin (meaning Staple had to panic and retract the story), Cizikas (which is what the Islanders board on reddit seems convinced of) or Hickey (who is expendable from an Isles POV with plenty of other guys to fill the role he plays).

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The Oilers winning the McDavid sweepstakes is literally going to keep Chiarelli in a job for years.
Chiarelli was hired after we won the sweepstakes. Building an eastern conference power house secured him a job for years.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Sure. Anything to justify your ignorance.
Why would Vegas take on a bunch of horrible contracts and a 1st when Nelson and DeHaan are worth a 1st alone. Also if Vegas just takes the BPA form all the teams list they get to 72 million in cap . Them reaching cap floor will be a non issue no reasons to take any teams compost

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
There is a pretty good case for Cizikas: he's a heart-and-soul player, is under contract for four years, and could easily be traded to a team who needs an elite bottom six center if it came down to it.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is a pretty good case for Cizikas: he's a heart-and-soul player, is under contract for four years, and could easily be traded to a team who needs an elite bottom six center if it came down to it.

I would be sad to see Zeeker go, but he is replaceable for his cap hit. I think Beauvillier would be an upgrade at the #3C spot that CC currently occupies.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
I'm not mad, I say this because Isles fans swear by this guy for everything Isles news, and I get that, but to say he is 100% informed is waaaay out to lunch.

he's the first to get informed about anything isles, it's reasonable to rely on him for our news.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Why would Vegas take on a bunch of horrible contracts and a 1st when Nelson and DeHaan are worth a 1st alone. Also if Vegas just takes the BPA form all the teams list they get to 72 million in cap . Them reaching cap floor will be a non issue no reasons to take any teams compost

Because McPhee and Snow have a long history. Snow did McPhee a huge solid giving him a job with the Islanders as a Sr. Advisor/Scout after he got fired as GM of the Caps, then he landed the Vegas GM job. Snow was also one of McPhee's first clients when he was a player agent.

McPhee is doing Snow a solid and I'm sure Snow owes McPhee something in the future.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Chiarelli was hired after we won the sweepstakes. Building an eastern conference power house secured him a job for years.

Oh Chia's resume in Boston might have gotten him the EDM job, but my point is that McDavid (combined with pieces that were in place prior to Chia coming on board), is going to make EDM a perennial playoff team and probable contender. As a result of that, it's also going to give Chia a long leash.

Edm fans are in heaven right now given where this team was pre-McDavid and one can't help feel like when you have a generational talent like that you're Cup bound at some point. If in 3-5 years it feels like EDM has peaked and haven't won the Cup yet maybe then EDM fans will get grumpy and call for Chia's outster, but right now everyone around Edmonton is in the "McDavid honeymoon phase" of life.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

You just aren't getting it.If Snow didn't have a deal in place, CDH would hVe been protected and Nelson could have been traded. The deal made Isles protected list irrelevant.

You are obsessed with the Isles and their moves.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Because McPhee and Snow have a long history. Snow did McPhee a huge solid giving him a job with the Islanders as a Sr. Advisor/Scout after he got fired as GM of the Caps, then he landed the Vegas GM job. Snow was also one of McPhee's first clients when he was a player agent.

McPhee is doing Snow a solid and I'm sure Snow owes McPhee something in the future.

I don't buy into that idea heavily. McPhee may "owe" Snow something, but that's different then Vegas owing Snow/Islanders something.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I don't get this for VGK, I know we don't know details, but to pass up:

Nelson
De haan
Hickey
Bailey
Cizikas
Clutterbuck
Strome

To take Kulemin and Grabovski...that's gotta be worth way more than a 1st. I would think Nelson & De Haan are both worth a 1st on their own. Hickey, Bailey are close. I just don't understand.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005

Nelson
De haan
Hickey
Bailey
Cizikas
Clutterbuck
Strome

To take Kulemin and Grabovski...that's gotta be worth way more than a 1st. I would think Nelson & De Haan are both worth a 1st on their own. Hickey, Bailey are close. I just don't understand.

Another guys who doesn't get it. If Snow did NOt have a deal in place with vegas, CDH would have been protected and Strome / Nelson could have been dealt.

We don't know all the details of the trade. Isles could be sending another pick or prospect.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Nelson
De haan
Hickey
Bailey
Cizikas
Clutterbuck
Strome

I think the combination of perhaps McPhee loving one player in particular and not knowing if he'd be exposed along with the fact that he and snow have an excellent relationship led to get an (in the ballpark of) fair deal done.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Nelson
De haan
Hickey
Bailey
Cizikas
Clutterbuck
Strome

Scenario 1: Isles & Vegas agree to deal

- Vegas wins, getting a key draft pick which is what they covet. 15th overall absolutely is a valuable pick.
- Islanders win, keeping their core players and shedding salary.

Scenario 2: Isles or Vegas play hardball, nobody agrees to deal

- Vegas loses, not getting 15th overall and instead have to try and flip yet another asset for their best return.
- Islanders lose, likely having to deal CDH, Strome, or Nelson away for underwhelming returns to teams who can protect them.
- *Third team* wins, getting CDH, Strome or Nelson for an underwhelming return.

Can you see why it would make more sense to come to a win-win arrangement? Why it would make sense for them to come to similar win-win arrangements with Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago, etc?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
he's the first to get informed about anything isles, it's reasonable to rely on him for our news.

But that's what I am saying. Isles news, sure. Oilers fans rely on Stauffer, Gregor, and MAYBE Rishaug. But if you think any of those 3 say stuff like "Shero offered Larsson for Hall" or "Rutherford is asking McDavid in return for Crosby" (Saying stuff from other teams) is usually out of the question. Only guys that say stuff like that are guys not connected to any team (Mackenzie, Dreger, Lebrun, Friedman, etc). That's why I don't trust Staple with Oilers rumors or any other teams rumors except Isles rumors. You'd feel the same way if Stauffer threw out stuff like "Snow offered Tavares for Eberle, RNH, and Oilers 1st Round Pick" because you know that wouldn't be true.

That's my point.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
But that's what I am saying. Isles news, sure. Oilers fans rely on Stauffer, Gregor, and MAYBE Rishaug. But if you think any of those 3 say stuff like "Shero offered Larsson for Hall" or "Rutherford is asking McDavid in return for Crosby" (Saying stuff from other teams) is usually out of the question. Only guys that say stuff like that are guys not connected to any team (Mackenzie, Dreger, Lebrun, Friedman, etc). That's why I don't trust Staple with Oilers rumors or any other teams rumors except Isles rumors. You'd feel the same way if Stauffer threw out stuff like "Snow offered Tavares for Eberle, RNH, and Oilers 1st Round Pick" because you know that wouldn't be true.

That's my point.

staple said the isles didn't offer what the oilers wanted.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
staple said the isles didn't offer what the oilers wanted.

It's quite amusing how 99.9% of anything Isles-Oiler trade related is coming from the Edmonton Media. As if those guys have a freaking clue what Snow is going to do and what he's thinking. No one knows that, not even Staple. The Isles are as tight lipped as they come in the NHL.

Isles fans roll their eyes with the **** these guys throw at the wall hoping something will stick and they run with it. So Arthur Staple (the only credible source) is a hack while those clowns aren't when it comes to the Isles? Please.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

That's my point.

Are you referring to some other report by Staple? Because this current report (LV trade) IS Isles related. So I guess I'm confused...

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
It's quite amusing how 99.9% of anything Isles-Oiler trade related is coming from the Edmonton Media. As if those guys have a freaking clue what Snow is going to do and what he's thinking. No one knows that, not even Staple. The Isles are as tight lipped as they come in the NHL.

Isles fans roll their eyes with the **** these guys throw at the wall hoping something will stick and they run with it. So Arthur Staple (the only credible source) is a hack while those clowns aren't when it comes to the Isles? Please.

it's quite amusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad