Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This stuff doesn't happen.

Funny if you said this a year and a half ago your head would have been on a stake courtesy of Leafs fans on these boards and their absolute hatred for Babs and his decision to play Hyman on the first line.

Remember when people were unhappy when his contract was announced?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Solid game by the boys. Plek did really good! I declare defeat on that one. Huge game by Gards as well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well, no frigging sweep by Boston!

Thank You Mike Babcock!

Thank You Patrick Marleau!

Thank You Auston Matthews!

Thank You James van Riemsdyk!

Thank You Frederick Andersen!

Thank You Tomáš Plekanec!

Thank You to the rest of the Toronto Maple Leafs!

Back to being a proud Toronto Maple Leafs fan today!

Reactions: willmma

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We still gave up a ton of chances and our PK looked dismal.Need to sort that out and fast because the Bruins will not miss next time.

Yep.

I thought Boston controlled large stretches of the second half of the game. That's going to need to change on Thursday.

I'm quite surprised Babcock went with the same PK group last night. It just doesn't seem to be working - Polak and Hainsey really seem to be struggling to read anything right now.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Yep.

I thought Boston controlled large stretches of the second half of the game. That's going to need to change on Thursday.

I'm quite surprised Babcock went with the same PK group last night. It just doesn't seem to be working - Polak and Hainsey really seem to be struggling to read anything right now.
Does Hiller handle all special teams or only the PP? Is Babcock in charge of PK personnel? What are DJ Smith's duties?

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Yep.

Hainsey looks like a deer in headlights instead of a seasoned pro.Looks like he has no legs left.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Problem with our PK is that Boston makes too many plays along side boards and down low with speed/skill/confidence that neutralizes our aggressive PK, because now the points are open. We play 2 man "punch" in which we want to attack puck carrier and opposite side man cheats in to take away no look/cross ice passes and even create turnovers but if they're moving the puck well and with efficiency down low and on the walls, points are open, leaving aggressive forwards scrambling and tiring themselves out with wide open shooting lanes. Point shots themselves aren't very valuable but open point shots and forwards scrambling to take away the shooting lane are because rebounds or slap passes in wide open lanes create chances. Leafs can still be aggressive but their D really have to get tougher down low. It's hilarious how Polak, Zaitsev and Hainsey haven't been hard on pucks...and they don't really skate well enough (well sometimes Zaitsev can) to keep up with the PP entries. If you're gunna give up the size and strength down low, at least play D men that can skate and negate entries. Chara, Backes, Kreicji should not have free reign.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Hiller = powerplay

DJ Smith = penalty kill and the defense, I believe
Thanks. Yeah man, DJ Smith has to work out the kinks on the PK. It's been bad for too long now. You can definitely survive in the playoffs without a potent PP but it's very hard to survive in the playoffs with a bad PK, imo.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Thanks. Yeah man, DJ Smith has to work out the kinks on the PK. It's been bad for too long now. You can definitely survive in the playoffs without a potent PP but it's very hard to survive in the playoffs with a bad PK, imo.

Agreed.

They gave up one powerplay, and one 5-on-4 with the goalie out, and the only reason they killed that off was because of a few goalposts and Freddy being a wizard.

Give Boston a few more looks on the powerplay in game 4, and they'll light us up.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Good, but frustrating, game last night (from the B's perspective). Great game from all of your perspectives...it's a series. Unreal how quickly the Leafs can get up ice when Hyman or Marner flies the zone.

To win, Bruins need to defend the long pass and capitalize on opportunities, as they had a ton last night.

On the Leafs side, play the game they played last night, AND recognize they just were very effective in frustrating Pastrnak and Marchand...not sure you all saw the body language, but it was evident... and keep doing it.

My two cents. FWIW.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i think these guys just needed to believe they could beat boston, you could see it in the last 4 or so minutes that they were playing not to lose. now that the monkey is off their backs i think you see an even better leafs side on thursday. that 3rd period from andy was huge, up until that point he wasnt looking very sharp (just my opinion) he was making saves but the rebound control was frightening to me. in the 3rd he seemed to get it together, if that andy shows up the rest of the series we have a real chance.

belief is a huge thing and up until last night im not sure they 100% believed they could beat boston, now they know they can...thats yugeeeeeee!

go leafs!

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I will say this. I don't like how the 4th line looked in our own zone. They got caught in there for a long time many times. It's unfortunate as they are great offensively. Maybe having Kadri centre that line in Game #5 will help?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it's so funny how Bruins fans act like every hockey game they watch is their first. Now their excuse is they would have killed us if they scored on 100% of their scoring chances, while totally ignoring that the Leafs still had even more high danger chances

Reactions: CelticDruid

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I will say this. I don't like how the 4th line looked in our own zone. They got caught in there for a long time many times. It's unfortunate as they are great offensively. Maybe having Kadri centre that line in Game #5 will help?
I agree, I think Moore was pretty good on the forecheck throughout the night but defensively it looked like they were overwhelmed.
It's interesting to imagine Kadri on our "4th" line with Johnsson and Kapanen though. What kind of matchup would that make the Bruins use? You look at the regular season numbers and you've almost got a 30 goal forward on each line with that line up.

Hyman(15)-Matthews(34)-Nylander(20)
Marleau(27)-Plekanec(0)-Marner(22)
JVR(36)-Bozak(11)-Brown(14)
Johnsson(2)-Kadri(32)-Kapanen(7)

Every line is a threat and needs to be checked. Might not happen but I think it's a very, very interesting scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loosie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad