Post-Game Talk: IS THIS A GOOD ENOUGH PGT THREAD FOR YA BRUINS?! LEAFS WIN 4-2!

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I think he should be taking care of Bergeron line at home while Kadri and Plekanec share that responsibility away from home.

The fact the Plekanec showed up last night gives us a lot of options.

I think whoever wins Game 4 wins the series. If we win, Boston won't have a win in Toronto for 2 years and we get a motivated Kadri back in Game 5. We could finish this series at home in 6.

If we lose Game 4, suddenly it's 3-1 and even if we win Game 5, it's an uphill task to come back from 3-1. Big game on Thursday, Leafs need to be even better than they were last night. No more freebies and unforced errors.

I'm hoping whatever lens the refs have been encouraged to use is tossed for Game #4. Ice seems to slant depending on the side Boston takes, period to period.

Game #5...We add momentum with a (Please God!) second game with Plekanec suited up and ready to roll in G4, and then we get a motivated Kadri? Yes please.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
;)

Damn, why did i read all the posts that analyzed the game. We won nuff said.

Win another and go to Boston and win game 5 there. Then we can wrap it up in game 6 at home.

Last edited:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
From watching that 3rd period, I thought we were lucky to win in the end. They missed more than a few Grade A chances (including the Andersen robbery at the end) that could have easily tipped the game in their favour.

The Leafs played much better than the first two games, but luck was definitely on our side in that game too. Without it, we definitely could have lost.
Luck is one of those things, like good Goaltending, that I feel gets belittled by some fans when experienced by their own team, but yet is either ignored, or considered a side-effect - if not almost a prerequisite - of/for being good, when looking at other teams.

Luck and Goaltending, one way or another, are going to play a role in every game of every series - If you're gonna win it all, chances are you need both of them on your side on more than one occasion. It's nothing new, and it's nothing to be ashamed of when it ends up in your favour.

I'm one of the people who believe that some 'luck' is created as a byproduct of being good and confident, and would argue that if the better team hadn't been the better team in any of these 3 games so far, they wouldn't have created the luck they did, and definitely could have lost. At the end of the day, though, the series is still 2-1.

Reactions: NiftyMits

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Nice to get a win, but I'm not going to count us back in until after another one. We need another step up. Most of all, we need to keep at it. In the third they started to take over. We need to keep the initiative.
Yeah, I agree, we definitely need to see a full 60 minutes each game the rest of the way. Can't afford to give them life.

Personally, I won't feel comfortable until we're up 4-1 with, like, 10 minutes to go :sarcasm:

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nice to get a win, but I'm not going to count us back in until after another one. We need another step up. Most of all, we need to keep at it. In the third they started to take over. We need to keep the initiative.

It may sound defeatist but i look small for now. I was just hoping we weren’t getting swept we ticked that box. Now let’s not lose our home games if we tick that box, move on to a road win and then hope for the series. That’s how I look at it, Boston have been better than us for sure even last night really but that doesn’t mean they are guaranteed the series.

Honestly the team that scared me the most in the east was the bruins. We can run and gun with Tampa and Pittsburgh no guarantee of a win obviously but they play more into our game plan for sure. The other playoff teams aren’t really that close to as good as the leafs.

Actually Columbus seem to have our number and dial up physically against us too now I think about it

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We definitely need everyone to kick it up another notch if we hope to extend the series.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
From watching that 3rd period, I thought we were lucky to win in the end. They missed more than a few Grade A chances (including the Andersen robbery at the end) that could have easily tipped the game in their favour.

The Leafs played much better than the first two games, but luck was definitely on our side in that game too. Without it, we definitely could have lost.
Exactly, nice to see someone with a clear perspective. Leafs were severely outshot in the third and the Bruins were getting grade A chances. If Freddy doesn't make the save of the season I'm not feeling as confident. Taking the whole game into account I still think the Leafs played better than Boston, but that's only by a slim margin. Still, I'll take 4 slim margin victories this series any day of the week.

Perhaps the Bruins were missing some of those chances because they were gripping their sticks a little tighter than usual?

Either way, Boston wasn't the only team with missed chances and unfortunate breaks - Last night, or any other night this series. Game 2 was a lot closer than the score indicated, and while I wouldn't say last night was a blowout by any means, the Leafs were the better team.

That's all I'm saying. The better team won, but let's not act like we gave Boston the beatdown.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Thursday is going to be a rough game. We need to be even better than we were tonight. By lots.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I can remember things for a couple days, so when I read that Babs "needed to step up" this game, I feel it is noteworthy that he was strong on the boards last night, good on the cycle and his back checking was sublime.

Reactions: Liminality

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Thursday is going to be a rough game. We need to be even better than we were tonight. By lots.
We didn't play our best hockey yet, particularly turnovers, PK and rebound control. That's the good news.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
I love how Bruins fans are saying "that was their Stanley Cup"
Newsflash guys: The Leafs can play A LOT better than they did last night

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Late to the party but yes!!!! That was so needed. Freddy let in a couple of softies but redeemed himself late in the game. Thursday is going to be a battle. If we manage to tie it up, Kadri comes back and we've got a series on our hands!

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The series is 2-1, and we have played nowhere near our best hockey yet.

Think we are in for a long series gents..

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have a good feeling about Game 4.

For some reason I’m not worried. I think that’s going to be the game.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If we win Thursday, the first four games meant nothing and we get our second line center back fresh.

He will likely be targeted by bruins quickly also. Thats a great opportunity to suck them innto some disciplinary issues.

Pheww, one game at a time.

The question is who is going to be given the assignment to shut down their big line!! So does Babs throw another curve ball at them and go away from the player matchup he used in game three and go to a complete shut down line centered by Pleks?

Pleks can win the faceoffs with the best of them, kappy is as fast as anyone and Johnsson is a hound on the puck.

I think the Bruins might see a little different look again next game.

Last edited:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Yup. Although we won I don't feel confident going into game 4

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I love how Bruins fans are saying "that was their Stanley Cup"
Newsflash guys: The Leafs can play A LOT better than they did last night

Not sure why they are so arrogant either. Game 1 was a mess but Game 2 was winnable, goaltending just took us right out of it- words echoed by the microstats + Babcock himself (though Babcock didn't call out Andy specifically, just said he didn't think we were bad in game 2 at all). Series have been a lot closer than some of those extremists suggest, but certainly, we still need to win 1 game comfortably to ease that anxiety. Bruins are a tough out.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Confidence is contagious. I hope that the team feels good about the win. Not the pretties but keep moving in the right direction.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not sure why they are so arrogant either. Game 1 was a mess but Game 2 was winnable, goaltending just took us right out of it- words echoed by the microstats + Babcock himself (though Babcock didn't call out Andy specifically, just said he didn't think we were bad in game 2 at all). Series have been a lot closer than some of those extremists suggest, but certainly, we still need to win 1 game comfortably to ease that anxiety. Bruins are a tough out.

He may not have thought they were bad but they weren't very good in game 2 either. Game 3 could even be improved on for sure.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Dermott didn't play much in the third. I don't know if that is the right call. We barely held on in the third. Andersen and the post came up big for us.

I would like to see the Leafs push the pace a bit with the lead.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Great win! The crowd was great and the Leafs had tons of energy to start the game. I liked that they responded physically and hopefully that can continue in the next game. And actually capitalizing on chances.

Yeah, I agree, we definitely need to see a full 60 minutes each game the rest of the way. Can't afford to give them life.

I think that's pretty natural in hockey though. The team that's behind almost always turns it up and puts the heat on. Even in a blowout. Like in game 2, there was a fair bit of time where we looked like the better team but unfortunately the score was already out of hand at that point.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I still believe that there was some conspiracy for Komorov after that hit to go down and act out his injury to Save Babcock his pride. But ahem...excuse my tinfoil hat.
This stuff doesn't happen.
Babs fetish for Hyman is well deserved, he is using his body and is full on intensity every game, and his skill is decent enough as a threat. Not a big threat, but enough that 29 and 34 still look good.

Somehow babs is blind to how Komorov is nowhere near Hyman who is one of the best players in these playoffs, and pretty good all season long.
Funny if you said this a year and a half ago your head would have been on a stake courtesy of Leafs fans on these boards and their absolute hatred for Babs and his decision to play Hyman on the first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad