Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Rypien is definitely a good fighter and I love his style. His fights are entertaining and he has some quality wins over guys like Carcillo, Staubitz, Prust (2-1), and Cam Janssen.

With that being said, I'm not even sold on Rypien being the best middleweight in the league. So, I would have to say no to him being the best P4P guy. I like him a lot, though.
I don't think he's the best middleweight either. I think he's the best lightweight though. I don't know how many legitimate fighters are lighter then 180, but he has to be near the low end of the overall scale.

NJDEVILS17*

I'd agree with that. There's some top tier guys in his weight class(Asham and Tootoo spring to mind) I'd love to see Rypien dance with.

Yeah, Tootoo and Rypien would be a great fight. Both guys love going toe to toe. Rypien is a little taller but he outweighs Rypien by at least 20 pounds.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
From the ESPN player poll, results of which were released today:

Who is the best fighter?

Derek Boogaard of the Wild is 6'8" and 257 pounds and has scored two goals in the past five seasons. But he's mustered 500-plus penalty minutes over that span -- and now he has 46 percent of our premier-pugilist vote. "There are a lot of tough guys, but Boogaard is the last one I want to mess with," says one Western defenseman.

The No. 2 recipient, though, doesn't quite fit the profile. Rick Rypien (20 percent) goes 5'11", 190, is the cousin of former NFL QB Mark and once took a leave of absence because he was struggling mentally with the strain of fighting through injuries. Apparently, fighting other guys is less of a problem. "He has boxing skills, quick hands and protects himself well," says a former first-round draft pick. "Pound-for-pound, he's toughest in the NHL."

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=24743680&postcount=14

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
He's probably the best fighter, pound for pound.

In general though he's not a top 10 fighter. Not even close.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
the players disagree with you

The question in the ESPN poll wasn't "PFP" it was "who is the best fighter?" Quite deservedly, Boogaard takes that crown. I hate him, but you can't argue with his natural gifts and just plain mean fighting style.

Rypien at No. 2 is a bit of a pleasant surprise, and that's probably more of a nod to his fighting talent than as a "feared pugilist" IMO.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
What are your qualifications for a top 10 fighter?

Being one of the 10 best fighters? Note, I'm not talking about pound for pound.

Rypien hasn't beat any legit heavyweights, no Stortini is not a heavyweight. He can't even enter the competition. Like how in Sens-Nucks games he fights Neil not Carkner, and still has trouble (losing the first one, draw in the second).

the players disagree with you

You should really re-read that thread. Lots of great users point out why it's laughable to use a poll of 50 players in arguements. Unless you want people to bring it up in every Luongo thread?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd give Rypien the PFP title for sure, and I'm an Oiler fan who hates anyone wearing a Nucks jersey. The dude wastes no time in throwing a barrage of punches and almost always gets the jump on people. Maybe its more a result of catching bigger guys off guard with just how fast he can throw them, but the dude is a giant killer. I can't think of anyone worthy of the PFP title.

Has BUF prospect Tyler Ennis ever fought? He'd be the only guy who'd have a shot at the PFP title given he ways like a buck 40.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Don't forget Hordichuck putting him down in the first game against the leafs this year.

All good points, but Orr delievered a KO in the Carkner rematch, and then handed him his lunch in the next showdown.

He'll probably look to exact revenge on Shelley tonight.

I would like to see him go with Hordi as well.

P4P, Not the best. I agree there. But Heavyest hands he wins hands down. Noone including Boogey has done the same damage as Orr with the big right. The list is growing similar to Kocurs.

JalapenoPeppa*

I'd take Tootoo. I think Rypien has better technique and would land more punches, but Tootoo has much more upper body strength and would but Rick down with 1-2 shots.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Watching the Ripper fight is like watching a Pit Bull Terrier protect its food. He is mean and vicious.

Tootoo is just plain crazy. I was quite dissapointed that Tootoo and Rypien haven't dropped the gloves yet. It would be one for the ages.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Watching the Ripper fight is like watching a Pit Bull Terrier protect its food. He is mean and vicious.

Tootoo is just plain crazy. I was quite dissapointed that Tootoo and Rypien haven't dropped the gloves yet. It would be one for the ages.
Rypien brings more boxing skills to hockey fighting than anyone I've ever seen. He actually puts up a guard in front of his face sometimes.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Being one of the 10 best fighters? Note, I'm not talking about pound for pound.

Rypien hasn't beat any legit heavyweights, no Stortini is not a heavyweight. He can't even enter the competition. Like how in Sens-Nucks games he fights Neil not Carkner, and still has trouble (losing the first one, draw in the second).

You should really re-read that thread. Lots of great users point out why it's laughable to use a poll of 50 players in arguements. Unless you want people to bring it up in every Luongo thread?

Rypein has fought Stortini in fact they had a few last year and id be sure Stortini would say Rypein is no easy task , not sure if any were on Y/T didnt look but i know they have had a few .
RR is smaller than almost everyone he fights and has a no fear atitude about it that im sure other NHL players know about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad