Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
We haven't seen much of him in the last few years because he has a habit of getting injured badly real early in the season, but boy can he fight.

Check out his decimation of Brandon Prust last night:

Prust isn't a huge guy, 6'0, 195... but Rypien? 5'11, 170.

The guy who delivered that beating is 170 friggin' pounds.

So I ask you guys - pound for pound, best fighter in the NHL? Is there anyone else who could challenge Rypien?

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
I look a lot into fights and Rypien is somebody I have really liked. I love that he is such a small guy and he's dishing out the poundings he is. He is an absolute maniac when he drops the gloves. I'd love to have this guy on my team. Lot of heart from him.

Wouldn't call him the best fighter in the NHL, even pound-for-pound though.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I watched that fight live... it got so one sided that I had to turn away.

yeah, I cant think of another guy off the top of my head who is as good a fighter as rypien is in that weight class.

The guy has got to stay healthy though. That's been a major problem for him.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
How would you even determine the best pound-for-pound fighter in hockey? It's not like enforcers lose/gain weight to fight smaller/bigger opponents.

KeanuReeves

Apr 11, 2007
yea how do you determine something like that?... rypien can take on tootoo though no problem

if only he had some reach, he would be lethal

LuigiStone*

Rypien, Reich and Asham are P2P some of the tougher guys in the league.

And Hal Gill :sarcasm:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Here's a couple other Rypien fights. All these guys have several inches and 30 pounds on him.

Carcillo

Cody McLeod

Tollefsen

Don't know if he's the best, but he's good.

KeanuReeves

Apr 11, 2007
really... rypien's technique would beat tootoo if the fight lasts more than 5-10 seconds...

tootoo's fights are quick, throws the jabs and tries to take the guy down, and he's really good at that, but i think if rypien can hold off that first flurry it will be his fight to lose

hopefully, we will see :)

Jose Corvo*

Dear Announcers of the NHL,

Stop calling him Mark Rypien.

Love,
Me

DreamCatcher*

Yes,

he is the only pugilist that has a proper fighting technique, he throw jabs, crosses, and uppercuts in a dash that sets him apart from other fighters and properly blocks at incoming punches. He challenged Phaneuf last night but Phaneuf wanted no part of him.

bretzky29ca*

Rypien may be known for being a tough guy, but he's got Bertuzzi-esque hands.He was a dynamite sniper with the Regina Pats in junior

vcx*

He's a middle-weight, in his class of fighters he could be one of the better ones but the best? No. That's still Laraque overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad