Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
That was a classy move by Simmonds taking off the visor. He's a great player. Tough, talented, and respectful.

Don't like the way Rypien got the jump, but what can you do.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
I haven't seen Rypien fight much but beating Clune isn't something to brag about. Especially when Clune wasn't even hurt other than re-aggrevating an old shoulder injury. I don't think Clune was expecting Rypien to turn and get the quick jump. Fighters usually square off...

It's quite funny, because in the other thread there were Kings fans stating he has held his own against some heavyweights earlier in the season.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That was a classy move by Simmonds taking off the visor. He's a great player. Tough, talented, and respectful.

it was clune who started the fight, even the announcer said it.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I've only seen Rypien get beat a few times - Murray, dude on the Islanders in the pre-season, and Prust squeaked out a win against him, once.

I hate the Canucks, they boil my blood, to the point where I wish bad things about players on their team. I hate their fans - every single one of them - most obnoxious, ignorant fans in all of hockey, especially for a team who hasn't won anything - ever.

And even through all that clouded judgement, I will still admit Rypien is the best pound for pound fighter in the league, and I wish he was a Blackhawk.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC

Not really sure that you should comment on something you obviously didn't see, even though the first half of your post makes it seem like you did.

Not only did Clune instigate the fight by spearing(hooking/poking him with his stick) Rypien from behind, but he threw the first punch with his glove on.

As seen here at the 0:42 second mark.

After that Rypien is just quicker and gets his gloves of first.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Not really sure that you should comment on something you obviously didn't see, even though the first half of your post makes it seem like you did.

I certainly did see it, gotta love youtube.

Calm down, not saying Rypien would have lost the fight, he definitely would have. I just wish he would have squared off, which he certainly didn't.

Canucks fans make it impossible to like Rypien.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Oh please that fight between Simmonds and O'Brien didn't even see one punch land from either. Major homer alert.

Actually O'Brien won. He landed more punches and got the take down. Also, Simmonds was sporting a black eye after the fight.

You know SOB won the fight because you've got Kings fans claiming it was a "draw" LMAO that's very generous when he clearly lost.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We don't give a rats ass.

Basically Imo, it does not matter what we think, you guys think, except the players themselves.

and the Players picked him as the second best fighter in the NHL behind boogyman, and voted him the best pound for pound fighter.

simple as that

FiveAndGame

Apr 29, 2009
I hate the Canucks, they boil my blood, to the point where I wish bad things about players on their team. I hate their fans - every single one of them - most obnoxious, ignorant fans in all of hockey, especially for a team who hasn't won anything - ever.

Please, there are just as many ignorant fans who cheer for every sports team, including your own. Proof: the Chicago Blackhawks last won the cup in 1961, almost 10 years before the Canucks entered the NHL and, the Vancouver Millionaires won the Stanley Cup in the 1914-1915 season.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I've only seen Rypien get beat a few times - Murray, dude on the Islanders in the pre-season, and Prust squeaked out a win against him, once.

And even through all that clouded judgement, I will still admit Rypien is the best pound for pound fighter in the league, and I wish he was a Blackhawk.

A Blackhawks fan harping on teams for not winning the Cup? :laugh:

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Rypien has actually been pretty valuable for us in the playoffs. He's not the most talented player, but there aren't any other teams who have someone like Rypien who they can insert into the line-up without hurting the team.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Didn't Laraque say that Cote was the best pound for pound? I may be misremembering.

he said it.
cote is 6'2 and 216pds while Rypien is 5'11 and 185pds ... so he may have said that because he had a tough fight with cote and perhaps hasn't tasted Rypien

whatever ... i have little respect for this NA hockey fights that is a type formalized fight (BS for me!).

but this Rypien is a good fighter. (i have 25years of experience in fighting sport)
As fighters, i like Tootoo and Rypien. and have no idea who would win. But rypien has a sense of fight that few other hockey playes have. for sure. Respect !

feasey123

Aug 24, 2011
Grande Prairie Alber
hope hes resting peacefully. Honoured to watch him as a Moose and even cheered for him on the nucks (hate them). Wish he would have been able to make his return to Winnipeg. Pure gold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad