Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Rypein has fought Stortini in fact they had a few last year and id be sure Stortini would say Rypein is no easy task , not sure if any were on Y/T didnt look but i know they have had a few .
RR is smaller than almost everyone he fights and has a no fear atitude about it that im sure other NHL players know about.

He knows Rypien fought Stortini. He was just saying that Stortini is not a heavyweight.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
who the hell is clune, and why in the world would he try to fight rypien.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I haven't seen Rypien fight much but beating Clune isn't something to brag about. Especially when Clune wasn't even hurt other than re-aggrevating an old shoulder injury. I don't think Clune was expecting Rypien to turn and get the quick jump. Fighters usually square off...

Last edited:

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
I haven't seen Rypien fight much but beating Clune isn't something to brag about. Especially when Clune wasn't even hurt other than re-aggrevating an old shoulder injury. I don't think Clune was expecting Rypien to turn and get the quick jump. Fighters usually square off...

No one is bragging about it. This thread was created a while back. And its not like alot of players are dropping the gloves in the playoffs.

I agree Clune didn't seem to be expecting it. But had they squared off it would not be any different. And Clune got what was coming to him after all his trash talking and crashing our goalie like that. Rypien did land a few good punches in the fight, it wasn't only the shoulder injury. Rypien is doing his job and he's very good at it.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC

I agree. Clune is nothing to brag about. Most Canucks fans are shocked he even dropped them with Rypien.

FruityPants3*

I'd be impressed if Rypien squared off and won the fight. Dropping your gloves with your side turned and punching all in one motion is kind of chicken ****.

No one really cares what would make you impressed. Rypien would beat him down squared off or with one arm tied behind his back, but Clune came looking for him and should be prepared for what comes back at him.

Pandemic

Apr 9, 2009
Vancouver. BC
I'd be impressed if Rypien squared off and won the fight. Dropping your gloves with your side turned and punching all in one motion is kind of chicken ****.

I suggest you go youtube Rypien's fights. If they squared off evening, he'd probably have beaten up Clune even worse than he did last night.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
We haven't seen much of him in the last few years because he has a habit of getting injured badly real early in the season, but boy can he fight.

Check out his decimation of Brandon Prust last night:

Prust isn't a huge guy, 6'0, 195... but Rypien? 5'11, 170.

The guy who delivered that beating is 170 friggin' pounds.

So I ask you guys - pound for pound, best fighter in the NHL? Is there anyone else who could challenge Rypien?

Yes, that is a supportable position.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I think pound for pound he is, now that's not saying rypien would beat chara, or other HUGE heavyweights but rypien's fighting skillset is better than most in the NHL. Could you imaging if rypien weighed what those heavyweights weigh? could you imagine a rypien at 6'4 235lbs or someting. the dude would be KO'ing guys left right and centre

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
a rypien at 6'4 235 pds, doesnt get any fights lol. Who would fight Rypien with his fighting skills, if he weighed 70 pds more and was 5 inches taller? Not I

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I think pound for pound he is, now that's not saying rypien would beat chara, or other HUGE heavyweights but rypien's fighting skillset is better than most in the NHL. Could you imaging if rypien weighed what those heavyweights weigh? could you imagine a rypien at 6'4 235lbs or someting. the dude would be KO'ing guys left right and centre

Except then he'd be a 'heavyweight' and no one would ever challenge him. At least now people look at him and think 'oh I could take this guy'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad