Is Makar the second best player in the league?

Is Makar the second best player in the league?

• Yes, right behind McDavid

Votes: 169 42.1%
  • No. There are better players than him

Votes: 188 46.9%
  • The BEST player... who is better?

Votes: 44 11.0%

• Total voters

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I doubt it. He's probably the best defenceman but I wouldn't put him second overall at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's got a fair case.

I have it as

1. McDavid
2. Makar

3/4/5 is a toss up between Matthews, Draisaitl, MacKinnon

6. Josi
7. Kucherov
8. Vasilevsky
9. Shesterkin
10. Gaudreau

Reactions: Coffey

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They're the same tier and you can argue for either

Matthews has 2 rockets, 1 hart, 1 Ted Lindsay, 2 All-NHL team selections. He's scoring at a 62 goal, 106 point pace since Makar came into the league

The only player in the world you can "easily" argue over Matthews is McDavid. The rest have similar, or inferior trophy case and production
List the trophy case all you want. Makar dominates the game in a way Auston Matthews is simply incapable of doing on both ends of the ice.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Why is he overrated?

I mean, have you looked at his point per game rates in the regular season and playoffs and where they stack up? He’d be sitting on two Norris’s in his first three years had he not been hurt in his second season.

I think it goes without saying that he has to achieve more and keep piling up the numbers, but he certainly has the potential to be one of the best defenceman of all-time.

Because not everyone does what you do. You're view of Makar seems sober enough where you recognize his potential to hang with the big boys one day. Some people go to great lenghts to claim he's the best D since Orr though, that's what makes him overrated in my book.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
But if Makar has more individual awards than any other defenseman in the history of the league through a players age 23 season, sans Orr, how exactly is he overrated if he is being compared to the all time greats. Obviously, there is still hopefully a long career to go, but when a player has a start to a career like this, they are going to be compared to the best. Happened with Crosby, and happened with McDavid.

Because his resume is tiny in comparison. Sure, he's done a lot at a young age, but who knows how well he holds up? Will he be in the race at 35+? He shouldn't be compared to players with 7 Norris Trophies, or players who were top 4 Norris candidates 17 years in a row until he's got some more hardware to his name. No one dispute that he's excellent, but one Norris is not enough for all time great status.

Bobby Orr played in a semi professional era that also had expansion so a bunch of minor league level goalies entering the league. Ran up stats in an era where the NHL wasn’t exactly a legit/pro league.

So now Makar is even better than Orr?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Josi had the most #1 votes for the Norris and would've won it if some voters didn't purposely leave him out of it entirely.

It's fine if you think he's the best but I don't know how this is "AINEC" :laugh:
Josi also plays rover quite often. Makar is a better defenseman.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I wish we could see Makar on some shit team, it might give us a better feel for his dominance. He's grown up on a contender.

In a vaccuum, I think I would take him over Matthews. I know his contract doesn't play into this, but this man should fire his agent. Likely the most team-friendly contract in the league over the next 6 years.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I get what you’re saying I just think Cale has another level of skill that will lead him to be excessively elite year in and year out. Like he’s legit the best defensemen since Orr IMO.

Cale is different than Karlsson because he’s able to control both ends of the rink. EK always gave up a little too much.
Let’s settle down a bit. Way too early to have him above Bourque and Lidstrom

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
List the trophy case all you want. Makar dominates the game in a way Auston Matthews is simply incapable of doing on both ends of the ice.
I mean, that's just not true lol. How do you think Matthews got those trophies? He dominates the game on a level that only a handful of players can match

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm taking him 2nd in league quite easily. He's like a unicorn do everything 1D that's right handed and still hasn't even hit his prime defensively. I mean what more does someone need to do to be considered number 2 behind McDavid?

Reactions: McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad