Is Makar the second best player in the league?

Is Makar the second best player in the league?

• Yes, right behind McDavid

Votes: 169 42.1%
  • No. There are better players than him

Votes: 188 46.9%
  • The BEST player... who is better?

Votes: 44 11.0%

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Top 5 for sure not sure if he is hands down 2nd. Draisaitl, Matthews, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Vasilevsky and Hedman all can make the argument.

Reactions: Duke74

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
It really is. Josi had an amazing career jewel season. Makar will do that his entire career.

So you're projecting it will be "AINEC", doesn't mean it's not close today.

Like Karlsson he's very dependent on his skating so I'd be careful with making projections about a players career. Injuries are difficult to avoid in hockey.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Like Karlsson he's very dependent on his skating so I'd be careful with making projections about a players career. Injuries are difficult to avoid in hockey.
I get what you’re saying I just think Cale has another level of skill that will lead him to be excessively elite year in and year out. Like he’s legit the best defensemen since Orr IMO.

Cale is different than Karlsson because he’s able to control both ends of the rink. EK always gave up a little too much.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don’t think the poster is suggesting that it’s projection as much as being so good he can do this every year, while for others it would be a peak season. Players have had close or better seasons than McDavid the past 6 years, but he gets seen in his own class due to playing at that level consistently. Josi was close this year, but Makar was much better the year before.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I don’t think the poster is suggesting that it’s projection as much as being so good he can do this every year, while for others it would be a peak season. Players have had close or better seasons than McDavid the past 6 years, but he gets seen in his own class due to playing at that level consistently. Josi was close this year, but Makar was much better the year before.

The problem for me is the use of "AINEC" after winning one Norris (and that was a close race). It clearly has been close.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I would take him 2nd, behind McDavid, if I was building a team. Several others (Matthews, MacKinnon, Kucherov, etc.) are in the same tier but, feet to the fire, I'm picking Makar.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think there is a clear cut #1 much less #2. I value d-men less than centers but acknowledging Makar's accomplishments thus far you can put him as a top six or seven player in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The problem for me is the use of "AINEC" after winning one Norris (and that was a close race). It clearly has been close.

Fair enough. Though I think people here tend to use it pretty indiscriminately to mean they believe the player is definitely better in their eyes, not necessarily really far ahead as the term implies

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Is say he has a seat at the 2nd tier table with his recent performance putting him up their. I'm not sure I'd say it's cut and dried enough to be clear cut #2.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I get what you’re saying I just think Cale has another level of skill that will lead him to be excessively elite year in and year out. Like he’s legit the best defensemen since Orr IMO.

Cale is different than Karlsson because he’s able to control both ends of the rink. EK always gave up a little too much.
LMFAO Nick Lidstrom exists man

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Those God damn Avs and Lightning, man

12.gif

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
This is... A bit much. He barely squeezed a Norris in and then had an amazing playoffs. Give the guy a chance to dominate for at least a few years before putting him in contention with guys like Lidstrom, Bourque, Potvin, and others.

Barely squeezed a Norris in? He's been in the league 3 years and has been nominated for the Norris 2 of those and won it once....If he hadn't missed time, he would have beaten Josi outright in points. Not to mention his miles better defensive metrics.

I get it's early to be anointing him anything with his young career, but it is absolutely stacked with accolades and there's no reason to believe it's going to slow down anytime soon. Hobey Baker, Calder Trophy, 2 Norris nominations, 1 Norris win, Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe....in 3 years.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Barely squeezed a Norris in?

Yes, he barely squeezed it in. Didn't have the most first place votes and won by a hair. That's what I call barely at least. When he repeats being a Norris finalist for another 6-7 years or separates himself by a lot from his peers we can start talking about comparisons with Orr and other all-time greats.

And that's not taking away anything from how good he is. He's just becoming one of the most overrated players in years, while still being the consensus best D in the league!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad