News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The NHL has no say in what happens to Fehr. That is a player decision.

I realize that. But from a fan's/justice perspective, does it makes sense for Fehr to keep his job if Chevy is gone? I'm using "justice" colloquially ofcouse as this is not a legal matter.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I always pictured the hearing as a disciplinary one. They will likely give Chevy the opportunity to resign or be fired.

I'm not sure if that is right or not but the NHL is clearly in damage control mode after they themselves bungled it as well.
The NHL is so hypocritical in this thing. They tried to sweep it under the rug for a decade. Now that everything is public they all of a suddenly care and will take charge.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Bettman is going to want to protect his ass and image as well, and look like the hero that cleaned up this whole mess. For all we know, Bettman could have known of this a long time ago ? maybe, maybe not ?

Either which way, it looks like Bettman is moving forward with eliminating anyone that was involved in this Chicago situation, and that's likely the safest way to go, to preserve the image of the NHL.

Although I think Chevy is a good honest man, unfortunately he was put in a spot by his superiors where he really had to tow the line, and follow club policy, and if he didn't, he'd lose his job.

If Chevy does get fired, I think we're losing one of the best GM's in all of the NHL. Too bad this situation had to happen.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The NHL is so hypocritical in this thing. They tried to sweep it under the rug for a decade. Now that everything is public they all of a suddenly care and will take charge.

The big fish will keep sacrificing as many little fish as it takes till the pressure subsides…. It’s the way this F ed up world works
And yes those little fish should be taken to task… but so should the big fish!

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Fehr his head of the PA and was hired and paid by the NHLPA membership which is NHL players. The NHL can't interfere with the workings of the PA. Fehr leaves when the players kick him out.

For sure and I think that'll come where he is out. I could be wrong but it seems like when stuff like this happens everyone involved gets axed and it's usually due to public outcry. If there was no outcry, I really doubt any of these resignations would have happened.

Reactions: stlwahoo and GNP

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The media's kind of just said that he was there on May 23rd 2010 when it was initially brought to the attention of management. It doesn't sound like he was involved past that point and that's kind of the sticking point for most people I think; that he should have done more and pressed the issue.
I think everyone feels that way about each person involved. Sad to see how many valued winning over a 20 year olds well being

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
100% agree. If you’re going to clean house clean out all the guilty parties. But as we will see the ones with true power will walk away without a scratch.

Yup if you want to burn it to the ground then burn it right to the ground.

How can we expect real change and leadership when the two biggest players dropped the ball as hard as they did.

I almost spit out my coffee when I read the league memo saying all potential allegations must now go to the league head office. Yeah like they have proven they can appropriately handle this stuff..

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Fehr his head of the PA and was hired and paid by the NHLPA membership which is NHL players. The NHL can't interfere with the workings of the PA. Fehr leaves when the players kick him out.

I don’t think they will kick Fehr out. Why? Because IMO the majority of the players don’t care that one of their own was assaulted. IMO a young professional athlete sees a player being sexually assaulted as a sign of weakness. That the player let themselves have this happen to them. Look no further to the comments that this player had to endure from his own teammates.

how many random current NHLers have come to this players defence. Some player , on their own, saying what happened was wrong and they wants steps taken so it never happens again. I know a few have, but it seems like these are the older players.

maybe I’m reading this wrong, but in no way do I expect a bunch of rich 20 year olds to do what’s right and remove Fehr.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t think they will kick Fehr out. Why? Because IMO the majority of the players don’t care that one of their own was assaulted. IMO a young professional athlete sees a player being sexually assaulted as a sign of weakness. That the player let themselves have this happen to them. Look no further to the comments that this player had to endure from his own teammates.

how many random current NHLers have come to this players defence. Some player , on their own, saying what happened was wrong and they wants steps taken so it never happens again. I know a few have, but it seems like these are the older players.

maybe I’m reading this wrong, but in no way do I expect a bunch of rich 20 year olds to do what’s right and remove Fehr.

I have been incredibly disappointed in the reaction of almost every player I've heard on this. Given how no player is seemingly at risk 0f discipline here I am sure status quo will continue.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011

so very sadly in KB's case

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
I have been incredibly disappointed in the reaction of almost every player I've heard on this. Given how no player is seemingly at risk 0f discipline here I am sure status quo will continue.

Hence why it's a mistake for people to look up to athletes as role models. They aren't. Skill wise? Sure why not? Look up to them to be who they are off the ice though? No thanks.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
100% agree. If you’re going to clean house clean out all the guilty parties. But as we will see the ones with true power will walk away without a scratch.

So very true here - are we supposed to believe the owner of the Hawks, Bill Wirtz, I believe his name is, did not know about this ?? Give me a break, as I'm sure he knew as well.

He and Bettman should go as well, but as Bogo points out, the rich and powerful will walk out of this without a scratch, and the small guys like Chevy, go to the gallows.

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
On a slightly unrelated note, I just thought of something that perhaps the NHL could do, as a way to reach out to Kyle Beach and help the start of his healing, and also maybe to help the NHL right a terrible wrong. The NHL brand has taken a massive hit with this whole tragedy and Coach Q resigning (with Chevy possibly next) isn't going to immediately repair the league's reputation, nor will it immediately fix the overall problem of sexual harassment/abuse in our society. But it could perhaps help in a small way. I know I don't post here often, but please hear me out.

The Stanley Cup has been altered and fixed many times. They remove rings featuring the teams/names of past winners and add new rings to accommodate today's (and future) winners. It'd be like 10+ feet tall, otherwise. They also have fixed it after the many times it's been damaged by celebrating victors. The old rings are on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame, if I'm not mistaken. So, if fixes and alterations are possible, then they should entirely RE-DO the entire section that contains the names of the 2009-10 Blackhawks championship team, which would include ELIMINATING the name of that POS Aldrich and putting Kyle Beach's name on there instead, and maybe even give Kyle his day with the Cup, i.e. take it to his home town, etcetera, that is, if Kyle wishes. Yes, it's only a symbolic gesture, but it would (at least a bit) help the NHL repair its badly tarnished reputation, in regards to this situation, as the inaction by all involved towards the horrific assault on Kyle most likely derailed his career and denied him a possible chance to actually play (i.e. actual playoff ice time) on a Stanley Cup championship team.

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was one of the Black Aces and they traditionally don't get their names on the Cup, and it would break precedent, yadda yadda yadda. But Aldrich definitely does NOT DESERVE his name on the Cup, and I think few would disagree. Kyle Beach stood tall yesterday, with honour, dignity and courage, unlike those who didn't stand tall back in 2010. Kyle Beach IS a champion, any way you slice it. Put Kyle Beach's name on the Stanley Cup. I think it would be the right thing to do. Thoughts?

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL

DugSmail

Oct 12, 2015
On a slightly unrelated note, I just thought of something that perhaps the NHL could do, as a way to reach out to Kyle Beach and help the start of his healing, and also maybe to help the NHL right a terrible wrong. The NHL brand has taken a massive hit with this whole tragedy and Coach Q resigning (with Chevy possibly next) isn't going to immediately repair the league's reputation, nor will it immediately fix the overall problem of sexual harassment/abuse in our society. But it could perhaps help in a small way. I know I don't post here often, but please hear me out.

The Stanley Cup has been altered and fixed many times. They remove rings featuring the teams/names of past winners and add new rings to accommodate today's (and future) winners. It'd be like 10+ feet tall, otherwise. They also have fixed it after the many times it's been damaged by celebrating victors. The old rings are on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame, if I'm not mistaken. So, if fixes and alterations are possible, then they should entirely RE-DO the entire section that contains the names of the 2009-10 Blackhawks championship team, which would include ELIMINATING the name of that POS Aldrich and putting Kyle Beach's name on there instead, and maybe even give Kyle his day with the Cup, i.e. take it to his home town, etcetera, that is, if Kyle wishes. Yes, it's only a symbolic gesture, but it would (at least a bit) help the NHL repair its badly tarnished reputation, in regards to this situation, as the inaction by all involved towards the horrific assault on Kyle most likely derailed his career and denied him a possible chance to actually play (i.e. actual playoff ice time) on a Stanley Cup championship team.

Yeah, yeah, I know, he was one of the Black Aces and they traditionally don't get their names on the Cup, and it would break precedent, yadda yadda yadda. But Aldrich definitely does NOT DESERVE his name on the Cup, and I think few would disagree. Kyle Beach stood tall yesterday, with honour, dignity and courage, unlike those who didn't stand tall back in 2010. Kyle Beach IS a champion, any way you slice it. Put Kyle Beach's name on the Stanley Cup. I think it would be the right thing to do. Thoughts?

XXXXX over Aldrich's name, the rest of this is silly imo. No offense.

Reactions: Iwuwd

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yup if you want to burn it to the ground then burn it right to the ground.

How can we expect real change and leadership when the two biggest players dropped the ball as hard as they did.

I almost spit out my coffee when I read the league memo saying all potential allegations must now go to the league head office. Yeah like they have proven they can appropriately handle this stuff..
They might have to develop an app for Evander Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad