News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I read the report pretty late last night so hopefully my impressions are accurate. Was it not stated that John Doe seemed satisfied with the results that Aldrich was removed from the organization. According to Gary I believe. So why wouldn’t Chevy think that everything was handled as it should have been considering he might not have been privy to the gory details. Just that Aldrich tried to “get John Doe under the sheets”

For all the, you would think differently if it was your child accusations floating through the thread. It seems according to the interview that the parents were made aware of the terrible details, and while devastated they did not pursue it with the police. Hardly spoke of it again with Beach. So I’ll assume a good portion of posters here would consider them pure evil too, and partially responsible for Aldrich future transgressions.

I just think that 20 year Kyle Beach was somewhat satisfied with Aldrichs removal at the time and wanted to move on. And after 11 years of bullying and burying it and it festering, he’s not satisfied with how it played out. Understandable to say the least. But I don’t think you can bury everyone involved.

As far as I can tell from what I've read/watched/listened to Kyle Beach wasn't happy with the resolution after he learned that Aldrich had gotten employment with USA hockey. Beach contacted Stan Bowman and/or Al MacIsaac through a confidant in relation to Aldrich working for USA hockey because of concern it could happen to minors. The same confidant contacted Donald Fehr for the same reason, though Fehr wasn't sworn in as NHLPA director at the time if I remember the timeline correctly.

And someone can quote me if this is incorrect, but I recall the entire reason this is being brought to light is because Kyle Beach (I don't know how to phrase this eloquently) feeling guilt because his abuser ended up assaulting someone else.

And as an aside it's completely reprehensible that the only apology we've heard so far has been from Kyle Beach himself.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
I empathize as well, but I have to say, it's not the same situation. Way too many difference to draw any kind of close comparison.

ff3ba4e8c09e09970e718b95c7610486.gif

why are you writing that message to me in reply to my message to another poster? I never came close to typing that the situations were "the same," nor did I attempt to "draw any kind of close comparison" as you wrote.

This is the second message from you that consists of non sequitur and a strawman fallacy.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
"Complicit" as in to purposely cover this up? If that's the case, I'm confident that Chevy is not involved.
If you mean "complicit" as in not directly and immediately taking action, then again, that seems to fall on those who said they would do it and whose job it was to do it. I also think that coach Q took a specific step towards suggesting that the team bury it until after the finals. I don't see the same level of culpability for Chevy.

eh, I think that there was an attempt to avoid action, how ever that may be termed such as "sweeping it under the rug, feigned ignorance, cover up, dismissal" and/or a similar action, but that's not the main point.

the problem still remains that if there was a meeting in which people, who were working in the blackhawks organization as a coach and/or manager (such as quenneville and/or cheveldayoff,) were there and learned enough info about the sexual allegations of aldrich, yet they consciously chose to not act immediately, that consists of complicity of which is inexcusable and should serve as just termination of employment.

the attempt to hide behind a defense of "oh, I was told such and such and thought that someone else would handle it" is a poor, indefensible attempt at a defense. whoever was there consciously chose to not act and wait almost one month later to let the organization allow aldrich resign and join the parade (even his name on the trophy, maybe); that is the problem (if the info on the meeting is accurate.)

Think what you choose; I respect that and shall do the same. I disagree.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
ff3ba4e8c09e09970e718b95c7610486.gif

why are you writing that message to me in reply to my message to another poster? I never came close to typing that the situations were "the same," nor did I attempt to "draw any kind of close comparison" as you wrote.

This is the second message from you that consists of non sequitur and a strawman fallacy.
You’re right, I should have responded to him directly.

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
By the end of tonight, Chevy might be the only guy still employed of those who were at that meeting in May of 2010.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
With Q gone, all the attention is going to be on the Jets tomorrow. If TNSE sticks with Chevy this is going to hang over the team's head like a huge cloud all season.

I wonder if Bettman insisted on Q getting fired or if it was Florida's decision.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds like Q is done in Florida. So much for the NHL not having teeth if all the reports are accurate.
Not sure what will happen with Chevy but we know the NHL needs to now present the appearance of being on top of the issue so no way anything happens before Chevy’s meeting with Bettman.

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
The details of what was said in that meeting differ by who was asked. The point form of the attendees.

Grays version: coach pressuring John Doe for sex, doe says he’s “not into that”. Coach Threatens him.

bowman’s version: coach tried to climb into bed with Doe. Doe didn’t want to talk about it with gray.

Macissac version: coach tried to climb under the sheets with Doe

mcdonauhh version: no details other than something inappropriate happened that player was embarrassed about.

Quenville version: something inappropriate happened with but zero details as to what we’re given.

Chevy: inappropriate advances and texts.

Blunk: coach propositioned player.

Whats true and what’s not? No one claims that what was shared was a sexual assault. Majority are of the belief that some sort of unwanted sexual advance is propositioned. Two mention the coach trying to get into the bed.

Given this was ten years ago I think those who met mutltiple times on this are more likely to not know when what was said when.

In terms of chevy being complacent. I don’t think so. Inappropriate conduct is alleged. His boss says he would look into it. The employee is no longer working there. What should chevy have done more? There was no mention of a sexual assault. His boss looked into it and dealt with it as far as he can tell. And now we’re talking about not even firing him from that job but his next job. He should never work again because he didn’t assume there was more to the story than what was presented to him? It’s harsh imo.

yeah, some people might be misremembering, lying and/or other actions.

again, "sexual assault" is not the main focus. also, again, I disagree with your assertion about "no mention of sexual assault" after reading multiple definitions of "sexual assault" and reading parts of the report pertaining to what was said in the meeting. you will find most of my replies in the previous pages relating to what you wrote.

the issue is that in the meeting, those, who were there, were told info that consisted of sexual misconduct, yet they consciously chose to not act (immediately.) that lack of action is an instance of complicity. you might disagree; so be it. the act of complicity in this context warrants just termination of employment because it is inexcusable, horrendous and ten years with hardly any penalities.

The organization did not act until one month later. They even allowed aldrich to resign, join the parade and, maybe, even have his name on the cup; that is hardly reprimanding him to any extents.

if you intended to use the word, "complacent," I am not debating that as I wrote, "complicit," but perhaps, your usage is a typo.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Q gone, all the attention is going to be on the Jets tomorrow. If TNSE sticks with Chevy this is going to hang over the team's head like a huge cloud all season.

I wonder if Bettman insisted on Q getting fired or if it was Florida's decision.

I think it was clearly Bettman's and I would expect whatever happens to Chevy will also be Gary's decision.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I don’t see how Chevy continues on in his role as Jets GM after his meeting tomorrow with Bettman. I would have to think that the optics of him being the only member from that Chicago management team to keep his job would be brutal for the league, Jets, etc. The spin needed to keep Chevy employed as Jets GM would be… interesting to say the least, and I’m not sure I can see it happening at this point.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
And someone can quote me if this is incorrect, but I recall the entire reason this is being brought to light is because Kyle Beach (I don't know how to phrase this eloquently) feeling guilt because his abuser ended up assaulting someone else.

He probably does feel bad for that on a personal level like any decent person would feel. However, he is also doing a sexual assault lawsuit. There is no way something like that could be kept quiet.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
what is more important.....chevy keep his position regardless of his involvement limited as some have stated or.....do what is better for the game/individuals who have been subjected to this type of behaviour .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t see how Chevy continues on in his role as Jets GM after his meeting tomorrow with Bettman. I would have to think that the optics of him being the only member from that Chicago management team to keep his job would be brutal for the league, Jets, etc. The spin needed to keep Chevy employed as Jets GM would be… interesting to say the least, and I’m not sure I can see it happening at this point.

I have said that I expect him to be given at minimum a 1 year suspension but with everyone else either out of the league or rumored to be out of the league its looking more likely that Chevy will share the same fate.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Okay, I don't know what happened to my original response to this. Essentially, I said that this whole farm team argument is based on conjecture and guesses, not facts. It reads like a bad Columbo epilogue.

We’re all just trying to piece the story together. With everyone finally in agreement that rape occurred, the focus is on the aftermath and the coverup so understanding who was in charge of the IceHogs is very relevant, particularly if that person was Chevy already aware of exactly what occurred.

Last edited:
Reactions: rkp

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think it ultimately will come down to why Quenneville lost his job.

Neither Quenneville nor Chevy stood up and protested against the decision to punt the obvious action of firing Aldrich until after the playoffs. If this is why Q was fired, then Chevy is obviously gone.

According to the report, Quenneville was instrumental in pushing for waiting until after the playoffs to do anything. That was not the case for Chevy.

According to Beach, Quenneville lied about not knowing about the reports, as he met with Doctor Gary in his office to discuss it after Beach talked to Gary. Chevy has, at most, been deliberately unclear about how long before Aldrich's resignation/dismissal he knew about the allegations.

Depending on which one of the above weighted most heavily in Q's dismissal, Chevy could face termination, suspension, or nothing at all. If I were to guess, I would lean toward one of the first two happening.

Edit: This is assuming Q didn't resign. If he resigned on his own volition (even if that's just publicly), who knows.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Based on the details as they’ve been presented I don’t think chevy should lose his job. While the majority of people on this board are probably well versed in the details, and opinions while may differ than mine, are at least from a place of more fully understanding. I’d say the majority of fans haven’t bothered to read the report, are outraged at half truths and misinformation, and in todays cancel culture world I fully expect chevy to be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad