News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Outsider here...A question if I may?

With him being the Blackhawks Assist GM back then and having attended the meeting with the other execs - other than guilt by association - was there anything he did that was deemed active in trying to sweep things under the rug?

My guess is he was present, learned of what went down, and agreed to keep his mouth shut.
There is nothing indicating that Chevy had any type of Quenneville push for covering it up for the sake of winning, no.

Your guess is, based on the reports, likely correct.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

With him being the Blackhawks Assist GM back then and having attended the meeting with the other execs - other than guilt by association - was there anything he did that was deemed active in trying to sweep things under the rug?

My guess is he was present, learned of what went down, and agreed to keep his mouth shut.

Yeah, I think opinions differ about what Chevy should've done but I don't think anyone thinks Chevy was actively involved in covering anything up, just that he was passive and ignored it. The debate is whether he should've done more.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
There is nothing indicating that Chevy had any type of Quenneville push for covering it up for the sake of winning, no.

Your guess is, based on the reports, likely correct.
Yeah, I think opinions differ about what Chevy should've done but I don't think anyone thinks Chevy was actively involved in covering anything up, just that he was passive and ignored it. The debate is whether he should've done more.
That said - I feel bad for Chevy...Gotta figure with the Pres/VP/GM/Head Coach all out ranking you in this meeting - all you do is sit in the corner, nod politely, and keep your opinions on the matter to yourself.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I want give a shout out to the Mods for letting us have a discussion about this topic and the way it's been handled/monitored till this point

Shout out to the entire community as well. It's been a good discussion.

I was 10 pages behind this morning. The only noteworthy development was Q "resigning". If I was to bet, based on where this is going, Chevy will be suspended for the rest of the year.

Reactions: scelaton

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I read his meeting with Bettman was moved up from Monday to today. I think he is gone for sure, a “resignation”. I don’t think Bettman has any choice, everyone involved has to go whether they were the ringleader or an underling.

Reactions: FMichael

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

One side of the argument is that the president said he would handle the situation (which was described as sexual harassment in the meeting) and that the most junior executive, Chevy, would assume his further involvement in the matter was not necessary.

The other side of the argument is that the group decided to bury it during the Stanley Cup series so it's not a distraction and thus, everyone in the meeting would be complicit.

The difficult thing for us, as outsiders, is not knowing how that meeting actually went and what, exactly was said.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I read his meeting with Bettman was moved up from Monday to today. I think he is gone for sure, a “resignation”. I don’t think Bettman has any choice, everyone involved has to go whether they were the ringleader or an underling.
If they think that's the only way out (which is the safest and easiest way for the league, but still not entirely fair), then I think both Florida and Winnipeg should be compensated. How about Chicago's next two first round picks go to the Panthers and Jets (let a coin toss or something decide who gets first choice).

Reactions: Cypruss

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
One side of the argument is that the president said he would handle the situation (which was described as sexual harassment in the meeting) and that the most junior executive, Chevy, would assume his further involvement in the matter was not necessary.

The other side of the argument is that the group decided to bury it during the Stanley Cup series so it's not a distraction and thus, everyone in the meeting would be complicit.

The difficult thing for us, as outsiders, is not knowing how that meeting actually went and what, exactly was said.
That exactly it, we don't know. Presumably Chevaldayoff and Bettman will get it all straight today and we will have our decision.

Sammy225

Aug 9, 2011
That exactly it, we don't know. Presumably Chevaldayoff and Bettman will get it all straight today and we will have our decision.

I think a decision will be made today which is why the meeting was moved up. My guess is Chevy is gone today, and they didn't want to prolong it over the weekend.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
I still think Chevy is toast. I also think the NHL are having legal talks behind closed doors how to skid the Hawks ownership as well. Many more people are getting canceled by the NHL in the coming weeks imho. Maybe even some players if other players speak up and confirm some abuses...beyond any doubt.

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
I’m sorry, but for me, compassion and contrition after the fact is empty and irrelevant.
What matters is what you do before your caught and forced to apologize.
Had Chevy owned up and apologized when the investigation was going on and the news was picking up, (ie; during summer), then it would have been different, but now it’s only because he has to, not because he thinks it’s right, and that’s a big difference.
What exactly is he owning up to or what did he sweep under the rug? You are basing your comments on your own assumptions.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think a decision will be made today which is why the meeting was moved up. My guess is Chevy is gone today, and they didn't want to prolong it over the weekend.
I'm starting to think so too. Even if Chevy is "innocent" (whatever that means) the process has become quite clear.

.....and then he becomes a member of the litigation set and sues people for a living

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I'm really not sure Chevy should fired I do not envy the people who have to make this decision.

But from a PR standpoint doesn't he have to go ? Do you really want this following the team and league.

Also if the league wants him gone and TNSE doesn't that a concern for me that they had to be forced.

The whole +×÷=ing mess is awful.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm really not sure Chevy should fired I do not envy the people who have to make this decision.

But from a PR standpoint doesn't he have to go ? Do you really want this following the team and league.

Also if the league wants him gone and TNSE doesn't that a concern for me that they had to be forced.

I've wondered this myself, and it seems to me that the majority of people are with him. The polls I've seen support this. I don't really think it would stick to him in the same way as Quenville. Obviously the witchhunt crowd will be on him for a while initially.

Reactions: Jetland162702

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'm starting to think so too. Even if Chevy is "innocent" (whatever that means) the process has become quite clear.

.....and then he becomes a member of the litigation set and sues people for a living

The way this is trending... the powerful Kyle Beach interview and media reaction to it and Q also getting axed... there is no doubt that there will be some sort of sanction on Chevy.

I don't think the penalty will be as severe as it was for Q. Like I said earlier, I think Chevy eats a suspension for this year. I really don't think Chevy gets axed outright.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've wondered this myself, and it seems to me that the majority of people are with him. The polls I've seen support this. I don't really think it would stick to him in the same way as Quenville. Obviously the witchhunt crowd will be on him for a while initially.

It seems the NHL doesn't view his participation in it as serious as the others so I am not sure what that will mean in terms of discipline. Maybe he's just suspended the rest of the year and has to do some courses before getting reinstated.

I'm not sure what is going to happen.

Reactions: Jetland162702

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011

Yup. Which is why I’ve been told that the Jets are basically leaving this choice up to the league. For Chevy to remain with the team, they need Bettman and the league to clear him of any wrong-doing and they must do it in a very public fashion. If there are any doubts about his involvement, then he is gone unfortunately.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

...and as I recently posted, what about the Panther and Jet franchises? They didn't do anything wrong, yet they are both being heavily penalized. That should be worth an extra first round pick for both franchises (at Chicago's expense).

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The way this is trending... the powerful Kyle Beach interview and media reaction to it and Q also getting axed... there is no doubt that there will be some sort of sanction on Chevy.

I don't think the penalty will be as severe as it was for Q. Like I said early, I think Chevy eats a suspension for this year. I really don't think Chevy gets axed outright.
That would be interesting. I don't think we have seen suspensions in these sorts of cases ( I could be wrong). That being said all indications from the insiders seem to be suggesting that Chevy is looked at a small fish here, so some sort of a lesser punishment seems possible.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
If they think that's the only way out (which is the safest and easiest way for the league, but still not entirely fair), then I think both Florida and Winnipeg should be compensated. How about Chicago's next two first round picks go to the Panthers and Jets (let a coin toss or something decide who gets first choice).
NHL would be far more likely to just strip Chicago of the draft picks instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad