News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
You are discounting the possibility that what he said in his statement is true.

I dont know if it is. But if it is, he has no more knowledge of the situation. So how could he answer other questions that would require more knowledge of the situation? He couldnt.

I am not defending Chevy with post. Just pointing out a possibility here.
Yes this is true. But what was missing for me was some humbleness and acknowledgment of the impact to Kyle.

He can’t be just concerned about himself

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yes this is true. But what was missing for me was some humbleness and acknowledgment of the impact to Kyle.

He can’t be just concerned about himself

Agreed. Chevy will probably wait to be asked about it before addressing it. Or at the very least be a footnote in his statement to the press

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Based upon what is on line and being reported by media outlets. It looks like Tim knew as much as Quenville who walked the plank yesterday.
I think what is really damning about Quennville is that he actively tried to persuade the decision makers not to do anything until after the playoffs. I think knowledge of the event is not what forced his resignation.

Last edited:

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Agreed. Chevy will probably wait to be asked about it before addressing it. Or at the very least be a footnote in his statement to the press
Yes. The skeptical side of me says this is the most likely outcome but again I pray he gets a head of it and shows compassion. That will hopefully align with TNSE values and mine.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yes. The skeptical side of me says this is the most likely outcome but again I pray he gets a head of it and shows compassion. That will hopefully align with TNSE values and mine.
I’m sorry, but for me, compassion and contrition after the fact is empty and irrelevant.
What matters is what you do before your caught and forced to apologize.
Had Chevy owned up and apologized when the investigation was going on and the news was picking up, (ie; during summer), then it would have been different, but now it’s only because he has to, not because he thinks it’s right, and that’s a big difference.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I’m sorry, but for me, compassion and contrition after the fact is empty and irrelevant.
Had Chevy owned up and apologized when the investigation was going on and the news was picking up, (ie; during summer), then it would have been different, but now it’s only because he has to, not because he thinks it’s right, and that’s a big difference.
If you were Chevy back in 2010, what would you have done? Just curious. I'm just wondering why some people think that the blame is all equal between the people in that meeting.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg

Point taken. I’m trying to look for the best result as of today. To me I want to see change and forgiveness

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If you were Chevy back in 2010, what would you have done? Just curious. I'm just wondering why some people think that the blame is all equal between the people in that meeting.
What he did back then isn’t my issue… I don’t know his job role, responsibilities, and expectations and I don’t know what he knew or didn’t at the time.
If he thought his superiors were going to take care of the issue and deal with it appropriately, then I’m fine with it…he had a job to do and expected others to do their jobs as well.
My issue is now and him continuing to cover up when asked about the issue

Reactions: slurpee addict

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Goodluck today Chevy! Thank you for all the amazing work you did for the players and staff in the Jets organization the last 10 years. You went above and beyond and supported people hundreds of times through all sorts of personal, and criminal issues, even finding them a new place to be employed when they turned on our city. And I'm sorry that the inaction of your bosses boss 10 years ago has cost you your career and reputation. You did a great job here!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think that Chevy is gone, especially with the way things were worded with the Q statement. I agree that optically it would look bad if Chevy was the only guy to survive from the management team.

I actually feel bad for Cheveldayoff when you consider the time this happened (lots has changed in 10 years) his position and real involvment. I think he is a good man, and is an unfortunate casualty of this disgusting mess.

However, I feel like it needs to happen because the mindset in hockey at all levels has to shift from 'my career will be over if I don't go along with this' to 'my career will be over if I don't step up'. That is the transformational change that will lead to the hopefully eventual end of sexual abuse in hockey (which is a LOT bigger than I think people here even realize). I have a lot of friends who went through high level organized hockey and the stories are pretty gross.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
What he did back then isn’t my issue… I don’t know his job role, responsibilities, and expectations and I don’t know what he knew or didn’t at the time.
If he thought his superiors were going to take care of the issue and deal with it appropriately, then I’m fine with it…he had a job to do and expected others to do their jobs as well.

It would be nice if it were as simple as saying sorry. It's not. Things Chevy might say now could have a big impact on him in a personal/legal sense. He's getting advice from lawyers I'm sure.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Okay, if that's the case I don't think it's a firing offense. I also think that Chevy has never been forthright ever, even in the most banal and innocent of interviews. Whenever I hear that Chevy is being interviewed on the radio or between periods I change the station. It's the way he is. If you asked him if the sky was blue he would say ..."Well, you see, it depends on your angle and the sightlines... maybe it's blue, or maybe it's a shade of a different colour... it's hard to say."

Add to that the very real probability that he is being coached/directed/consulted by team lawyers, I'm not surprised at all by the content of his comments.

Reactions: Gm0ney

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It would be nice if it were as simple as saying sorry. It's not. Things Chevy might say now could have a big impact on him in a personal/legal sense. He's getting advice from lawyers I'm sure.
Maybe if he says he's sorry it's an admission of some sort of guilt.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Agreed. If Chevy was out to lie, he would of put out a statement that would of protected him from ridicule. I don't he'd be that stupid. His attorney likely wanted the statement to be lawyer proof.

BigHulkingThickV

Jan 13, 2021
I hope we receive some closure on this situation today. I see this story, particularly Chevy's involvement, has dominated some of your lives.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think that Chevy is gone, especially with the way things were worded with the Q statement. I agree that optically it would look bad if Chevy was the only guy to survive from the management team.

I actually feel bad for Cheveldayoff when you consider the time this happened (lots has changed in 10 years) his position and real involvment. I think he is a good man, and is an unfortunate casualty of this disgusting mess.

However, I feel like it needs to happen because the mindset in hockey at all levels has to shift from 'my career will be over if I don't go along with this' to 'my career will be over if I don't step up'. That is the transformational change that will lead to the hopefully eventual end of sexual abuse in hockey (which is a LOT bigger than I think people here even realize). I have a lot of friends who went through high level organized hockey and the stories are pretty gross.
I think there are other ways to handle it (league ombudsmen, newer updated policies, language written into all contracts and collective agreements demanding that anybody with such knowledge is required to contact the league, etc.)

While Chicago has been justifiably punished with the exit of some of their current brass, innocent parties like the Jets and the Panthers will (in Florida's case) and may (in the Jets' case) suffer through no fault of their own.

I sincerely think that what Q did was a fireable offense. I don't think, in my heart, that what Chevy did (or didn't do, actually) is worth ending his career over. At worse, perhaps a six-figure fine to go either to the victim or a similar charity.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The NHL has to set an example here. I think about that coach in Winnipeg that was abusing his players. None of them came forward for years and why would they? Think about how grown men reacted to Blackhawks situation. If those boys knew they wouldn't be ridiculed maybe the come forward. Maybe that guy wouldn't be allowed to do that again.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Outsider here...A question if I may?

With him being the Blackhawks Assist GM back then and having attended the meeting with the other execs - other than guilt by association - was there anything he did that was deemed active in trying to sweep things under the rug?

My guess is he was present, learned of what went down, and agreed to keep his mouth shut.

Reactions: Cypruss

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
So it’s ok to cover up because your lawyer tells you too, but not if your boss tells you to?

First of all, who said anything about "OK?"

Secondly, if he's being truthful about his knowledge and involvement at the time he's not really covering anything up as far as his situation is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad