News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
If prominent nhl names were being outed, I think they'd be made aware it was coming down the pipe.
Nobody was outed, Chevy was interviewed by the investigative team about the meeting being discussed today. He knew he was going to be mentioned in the report as soon as he agreed to talk to the investigators. There is very little chance that the Blackhawks called the Jets or Chevy and said they would be releasing this today, it was an internal investigation not a league one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Chevy admitted to knowing about it but wasn't so forthcoming in what his exact involvement was in it?

It seems like he did go to batt for individual in the meeting.

I guess I have a hard time determining whether he should be fired or not over it. It seems he pushed for all the right things to happen but was ultimately overruled by people higher up. Should he lose his job for not whistle blowing and toeing the line?

I think you have to send a strong message here and Chevy may have to fall as part of collateral damage.

I think Q absolutely needs to get axed though based on what the report said. Winning being more important then the incident absolute garbage.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
If this is true, Cheveldayoff has to go, as does Quenneville.

As far as whether or not it hurts the Jets, we'll never know. Cheveldayoff was a good GM (in my opinion, anyway), but he was hardly the only good GM. We might even have someone in the organization now that's learned all the tricks and can take over.

The thing is, though, that if this story is true and Cheveldayoff goes, it will reflect positively on the Jets organization, and that will be remembered going forward. If the Jets don't do the right thing, that will also reflect on the organization going forward, and that's what will be remembered in the future when people look back.

These are excellent points.

I can also imagine that some players and player agents are going to be chary about coming to an org and a GM who was (maybe, allegedly) involved in a cover-up of this magnitude. There have already been a few agents weighing on this, and the ripple effects are (and should) be deep and far-reaching.

Some reporters are weighing in. Nothing yet from Wiebe et al.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan403

None

Feb 22, 2012
Why exactly is Maurice addressing this tho?

Is he addressing it? I'm assuming because he was asked if so. I'm not sure the briefing timing was actually known by the media until a few hours before it was shown and released. I'm guessing that he's just the first person with media availability related more towards the Ducks game and not any of this (if he is talking about it).

Reactions: surixon

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Some toxic stuff from the players towards John Doe quoted in there. Just so sad. Players are lucky this doesn't reach them.

Yeah they are extremely lucky. How good does it feel to know that you made fun of someone going through this and the person that did it went on to do what he did and you basically helped in enabling that by not standing up for your teammate in that instance? Any captains worth their weight should have been standing up for their teammate and demanding that the perpetrator be fired and charged with sexual assault.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup coach q needs to go. Just appalling.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Chevy admitted to knowing about it but wasn't so forthcoming in what his exact involvement was in it?

I guess I have a hard time determining whether he should be fired or not over it. It seems he pushed for all the right things to happen but was ultimately overruled by people higher up. Should he lose his job for not whistle blowing and toeing the line?

I think you have to send a strong message here and Chevy may have to fall as part of collateral damage.

I think Q absolutely needs to get axed though based on what the report said. Winning being more important then the incident absolute garbage.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Sounds like Bowman is dropping this directly on McDonough......but still, not looking good for all involved.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup coach q needs to go. Just appalling.

All fans seem to be in agreement here that Chevy and Q need to be let go. Over on the Panthers board there isn't a single poster who doesn't think that Q should be fired. You got a team that is off to the best start in franchise history with Q behind the bench and not a single fan wants the coach to remain with the team. That tells you a lot about the severity of this issue. Everyone is just disgusted with these people for all doing nothing and enabling this piece of shit to keep doing what he did.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

If you are in a position of leadership and someone comes to you with this you need to step up and do something about it. No one over there did that. I don't think Chevy can sit back and wash his hands of this.

Too many times people have done nothing and allowed someone to get away with something like this. Its funny I was watching the Sandusky HBO movie with Al Pacino playing Joe Paterno and it came across as pathetic how they let him continue to do what they did to "protect" the image.

Chevy is a father of a young woman and I could only imagine how devastated he would be if he found out something similar happened to his daughter and they could have prevented if they acted the first time it came forward.

But because it happens to a "man" they just try to move on from it. Rape is rape as far as I am concerned.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Sounds like Bowman is dropping this directly on McDonough......but still, not looking good for all involved.
Based on the report and what was said in the meeting, it seems that the decision was made that McDonough would handle it. So if that was decided and he chose to do nothing then most of the blame does rest with him, but the rest of them should have done something when they realized McDonough wasn't going to handle it and they all chose to do nothing.

The report indicates that the coach went on to sexually harass an intern after this meeting occurred and everyone in this meeting is responsible for that because they chose to do nothing to stop it.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Yeah for Chcvy it's not justifiable but I can imagine him thinking that this is above his paygrade and "higher ups like the GM/HR are dealing with it". But Q's behavior according to the testimony in that report is appalling, multiple people saying that he was worried about the cup and team chemistry combined with his own evasive answers are a bad look. As a coach he needed to have his players back. Him and that McDonough guy def come across the worst from the accounts of that meeting.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
All fans seem to be in agreement here that Chevy and Q need to be let go. Over on the Panthers board there isn't a single poster who doesn't think that Q should be fired. You got a team that is off to the best start in franchise history with Q behind the bench and not a single fan wants the coach to remain with the team. That tells you a lot about the severity of this issue. Everyone is just disgusted with these people for all doing nothing and enabling this piece of shit to keep doing what he did.

Ironically, that's exactly what Quenneville allegedly said to management - that Chicago may never get that far into the playoffs again and dealing with the issue at that point would negatively impact team chemistry.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Thats the weird part. Why not "out" this guy and be done with it?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If you are in a position of leadership and someone comes to you with this you need to step up and do something about it. No one over there did that. I don't think Chevy can sit back and wash his hands of this.

Too many times people have done nothing and allowed someone to get away with something like this. Its funny I was watching the Sandusky HBO movie with Al Pacino playing Joe Paterno and it came across as pathetic how they let him continue to do what they did to "protect" the image.

Chevy is a father of a young woman and I could only imagine how devastated he would be if he found out something similar happened to his daughter and they could have prevented if they acted the first time it came forward.

But because it happens to a "man" they just try to move on from it. Rape is rape as far as I am concerned.

I definitely agree and suspect he's gone by the end of the week. I blame the culture more so then the individual here and if people need to be made example to force positive change then I'm all for it.

My only point was it sounds like he wanted stuff done but was overruled. He probably should have then gone to the police himself if he believed as he said in the meeting but as a young exec just cutting his teeth in the league I can understand why he may have been afraid to go over his bosses heads.

It's that fear of repercussions for doing the right thing that needs to be eliminated from not just hockey but most the corporate world before we get positive changes.

As long as people and corporations are only concerned with looking after themselves first then more of this disgusting crap will occur and be covered up...

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah when people say toxic masculinity this is what they mean. It's just a dude making sexual advances on another dude. Let's all point and laugh. It's hilarious until it happens to a minor and then we rage? We should be raging the moment it happens to anyone. Man, women, senior, minor. Anyone who enables the sexual assault of another person is no better than the person committing the crime IMO. If you don't do something about it eventually it's your son/daughter or wife/husband or mother/father and then it won't be so funny.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
For the love of God can we keep the Maurice shit out of this thread? Just this ONE thread? This is a serious and sickening situation and people in here are so f***ing insensitive that they care more about Paul Maurice being the GM. FFS.

Reactions: Jaytee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad