News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This is the report: https://jenner.com/system/assets/assets/11549/original/Report to the Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Team - October 2021.pdf

Quinnville looks the worst out of all the parties involved other than McDonough and clearly seems evasive in his answers about the meeting during the investigation. There is no way Coach Q should survive this.

Here is Q's account of the meeting between Blackhawks execs and him about the issue:

And here's Chevy's account:
Without following the story very closely from the start, could Chevy's defense be that he thought the matter was going to be dealt with my his superiors (which is much what Bowman said). But if so, isn't he still guilty of lying when he denied any knowledge of the matter?

Again, even if he can get away with passing the buck to the GM and the President and CEO (who is ultimately responsible and should also step down), I don't see how he gets away with his news release that denied any knowledge of the matter.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, that ain't cool. I'm sure Chevy has remorse but he should have been more forthcoming when asked initially.

He is likely gone.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Someone should ask Murat what he thinks about putting a puff piece about culture out today. Almost comes across as Schadenfreude.
Strategic move by Chipman, who had to know what was coming down the pike. Doubt Murat was in on any scheme, probably just saw an opportunity to get an article with the owner.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Here's the irony --- many that are criticizing the Jets / TNSE / Chipman today for appreciating Maurice for his character, despite so-so results, are now after TNSE to dismiss Chevy over issues of character, not performance.

My view is that character is of high importance. I would have no issue with the Jets dismissing Chevy based on these allegations and concerns about how he handled them, just as I have no issue with them retaining Maurice in part because they value his character and professionalism.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The investigation was on going then right?

Perhaps getting ahead of it.

I think the timing of that story and this release are coincidental, but I have no doubt that Chipman knows of the feelings towards Maurice and wanted to get some positive press for him.

As in, I believe the purpose of this was to pump Maurice's tires and was not related to the investigation into Chevy. If Chipman knew at the time that Chevy was going to be implicated he likely would've canned him then rather than now. I don't believe that the owners would be given this report prior to its release as it would negatively impact the report's impartiality.

Even if Chevy did push for all the things he said he did in his interview with the investigators, like it should've been looked at before, the fact that he said he had no knowledge in July and it's come out that he did have knowledge, he has to go.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks bud - unfortunately paywall but I get it now :)

I have a PDF version, but I've also excerpted bits in the coaching thread. Murat throughout the piece is careful to keep the focus on what PoMo brings in terms of culture, interpersonal relationships and building a caring core/corps. He is explicit (Murat) in avoiding questions of tactics, Xs and Os, etc.

I don't see Chevy riding this out. Being complicit (maybe) in taking no action is survivable, maybe, but being disingenuous about his involvement is, IMO, a fireable offence, esp for TNSE. Don't see how the players wouldn't speak out on this if no action was taken.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Without following the story very closely from the start, could Chevy's defense be that he thought the matter was going to be dealt with my his superiors (which is much what Bowman said). But if so, isn't he still guilty of lying when he denied any knowledge of the matter?

Again, even if he can get away with passing the buck to the GM and the President and CEO (who is ultimately responsible and should also step down), I don't see how he gets away with his news release that denied any knowledge of the matter.
Yeah, that is the part that screams guilt to me. As a young assistant GM in a meeting like that with superiors involved, understanding the gravity of the situation, you would expect that they would have the ultimate responsibility of handling it unless you were given specific instructions to act.

However, claiming ignorance is pretty damning in this case. I feel sick to my stomach right now.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
For what it's worth, I believe Murat in this. He's a storyteller, and he saw a good story. I have no fault of him for that. The timing is incredible.

Yeah I believe Murat as well. This being a planned release ahead of this report would mean that Murat would have some knowledge about the contents as well and hid that, I don't see him doing that.

Reactions: JetsFan815 and None

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
At this point it's not a good look for Chevy either way. Either he knew nothing about it even though multiple people lower than him in the pecking order did, which makes him look incredibly stupid or he's lying and he looks a lot worse for not addressing it when it came up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Looking at that news release, it doesn't quite deny any knowledge of the matter. It suggests he knew little detail and thought it was being dealt with.

I don't know if he can maintain that or not.

Reactions: weslox

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the timing of that story and this release are coincidental, but I have no doubt that Chipman knows of the feelings towards Maurice and wanted to get some positive press for him.

As in, I believe the purpose of this was to pump Maurice's tires and was not related to the investigation into Chevy. If Chipman knew at the time that Chevy was going to be implicated he likely would've canned him then rather than now. I don't believe that the owners would be given this report prior to its release as it would negatively impact the report's impartiality.

Even if Chevy did push for all the things he said he did in his interview with the investigators, like it should've been looked at before, the fact that he said he had no knowledge in July and it's come out that he did have knowledge, he has to go.
I think this rings true, for me.

Maurice has been under the gun by fans and the media for the past two seasons. Many have wanted him fired. Chipman evidently supports him. It's a normal thing for the media to try to understand why an organization seems to favour a coach above and beyond recent results.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to have crowned Chevy as the off-season GM champion. There has been absolutely no pressure to fire him recently.

Regarding Chevy, I think his culpability is around what he didn't do at the time, not whether he was accurate in his public statements about the timing of when he heard about things. As I understand it, the difference is about a two-week time period from 10 years ago. So, I'm concerned about Chevy's actions while he was with the Hawks, not what he said to the public this past summer about the timing of when the meeting took place.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If prominent nhl names were being outed, I think they'd be made aware it was coming down the pipe.

Yeah I think it's a coincidence as well. How was Murat/anyone outside the Hawks org supposed to know this was getting released today.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Yeah, that is the part that screams guilt to me. As a young assistant GM in a meeting like that with superiors involved, understanding the gravity of the situation, you would expect that they would have the ultimate responsibility of handling it unless you were given specific instructions to act.

However, claiming ignorance is pretty damning in this case. I feel sick to my stomach right now.

Agree on this. As an assistant or someone lower down in the org, Chevy probably felt it was not in his place to handle the matter or make sure it was handled. And maybe he fully felt that those above him were going to deal with it.. and maybe he thought it was dealt with.. but claiming you were not involved or knew nothing about what had happened... that's an issue.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
If this is true, Cheveldayoff has to go, as does Quenneville.

As far as whether or not it hurts the Jets, we'll never know. Cheveldayoff was a good GM (in my opinion, anyway), but he was hardly the only good GM. We might even have someone in the organization now that's learned all the tricks and can take over.

The thing is, though, that if this story is true and Cheveldayoff goes, it will reflect positively on the Jets organization, and that will be remembered going forward. If the Jets don't do the right thing, that will also reflect on the organization going forward, and that's what will be remembered in the future when people look back.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Brand is everything. I don't see how Chipman keeps Chevy around.

As far as whether or not it hurts the Jets, we'll never know. Cheveldayoff was a good GM (in my opinion, anyway), but he was hardly the only good GM. We might even have someone in the organization now that's learned all the tricks and can take over.

The thing is, though, that if this story is true and Cheveldayoff goes, it will reflect positively on the Jets organization, and that will be remembered going forward. If the Jets don't do the right thing, that will also reflect on the organization going forward, and that's what will be remembered in the future when people look back.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think this rings true, for me.

Maurice has been under the gun by fans and the media for the past two seasons. Many have wanted him fired. Chipman evidently supports him. It's a normal thing for the media to try to understand why an organization seems to favour a coach above and beyond recent results.

Meanwhile, everyone seems to have crowned Chevy as the off-season GM champion. There has been absolutely no pressure to fire him recently.

Regarding Chevy, I think his culpability is around what he didn't do at the time, not whether he was accurate in his public statements about the timing of when he heard about things. As I understand it, the difference is about a two-week time period from 10 years ago. So, I'm concerned about Chevy's actions while he was with the Hawks, not what he said to the public this past summer about the timing of when the meeting took place.

We're talking about public perception here, rather than actual liability. I don't know about his legal exposure or anything as it relates to any lawsuits and the contents of this report, but I don't think the NHL will stand for anyone associated with this to continue to be employed in their league. The NHL has a big new shiny TV deal with Turner and ESPN and I don't think they want the coverage of "men who had knowledge of sexual abuse but didn't speak up about it still have jobs". Can you imagine the press the Panthers would get on national TV when they get a game or two?

Reactions: JetsUK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad