News Article: Is it time for us to discuss Chevy's place in the Hawks mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If Chevy HAD actually said anything and blown the whistle on this in 2010, he would never have worked in the NHL again.

Time to see just how deep TNSE loyalty is. Do they suspend him while they "conduct their own investigation" and clear him? Is he gone before the end of the day?
TNSE is also highly sensitive to perception of their brand. It may very well be curtains for Chevy. If that's the case, I'm afraid the Jets franchise will suffer as well.

Sure, we haven't won a Cup yet, but the way the Chevy-led management team replaced the absolute mess we bought from Atlanta to a contending team today (or at the very least a solid playoff team) and the way they consistently reload with top prospects...well, there's no guarantee that continues. We may do even better than we've been doing during the last decade, or we may do a lot worse.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd say unfortunately for the Jets, but if he was indeed privy and did nothing, then f*** him. (I know semantically your sentence is correct, I'm just really pissed off about it atm)

Don't disagree. I'm trying to keep an open mind until the truth is finalized. But I am not the least optimistic.

He was not the man in charge in 2010. Still, not speaking up when it was mishandled was a big mistake, a failure in judgement. But I think I could forgive the mistake if he had owned it. Lying about it 11 years later makes that very difficult.

Honestly, I am more sad than angry. Not that these incidents don't justify anger. More that I am past anger. So many men behaving so badly and so many other men covering it up/enabling it. It really strains my faith in human nature and especially manliness.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
It is time to promote an interim GM for the remainder of the season. I am trying to find empathy for Cheveldayoff but then I am reminded the real problem is he never showed any for the victim. Because if he did he could have defined his career right then and there. A very hard decision for a young person in management to make, but a 100% necessary one to make.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
TNSE is also highly sensitive to perception of their brand. It may very well be curtains for Chevy. If that's the case, I'm afraid the Jets franchise will suffer as well.

Sure, we haven't won a Cup yet, but the way the Chevy-led management team replaced the absolute mess we bought from Atlanta to a contending team today (or at the very least a solid playoff team) and the way they consistently reload with top prospects...well, there's no guarantee that continues. We may do even better than we've been doing during the last decade, or we may do a lot worse.

TNSE have to separate the job and results of Chevy with the incident in Chicago. No matter what you think of the job Chevy has done, TNSE is going to have to look at the person and if keeping him negatively affects their brand and bottom line. And sure, replacing Chevy could hurt this franchise, but does TNSE have a choice?

The really sad part of all this is, what happened in Chicago is just what has been found out. There is a lot more that has gone on in all sports .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wish it wasn't so as I like what he does for the franchise but that is a fire worthy offense and should have consequences.

Agree - but more than what he has done for the franchise, he seems like such an honest, honourable man. But even the best of us can make these kinds of moral mistakes. Those mistakes have consequences.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
TNSE have to separate the job and results of Chevy with the incident in Chicago. No matter what you think of the job Chevy has done, TNSE is going to have to look at the person and if keeping him negatively affects their brand and bottom line. And sure, replacing Chevy could hurt this franchise, but does TNSE have a choice?

The really sad part of all this is, what happened in Chicago is just what has been found out. There is a lot more that has gone on in all sports .
I agree, justice should be served (but we must first put down the torches and pitchforks and await due process). My gut says that this will end badly for Chevy, but I don't know what he has to say in his defense (if he has one).

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
After reading the full report I'm sick to my stomach. I can't envision myself being able to deal with the Jets keeping Chevy at this point. I really hope they do the right thing and fire him. It's absolutely nauseating. I think I have to skip the game tonight.

I recommend anyone who's ever dealt with sexual abuse to be very cautious reading the jener report. It's graphic, detailed, and describes the worst in human behaviour.

I can't stress how disturbed I am

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is the report: https://jenner.com/system/assets/as...ago Blackhawks Hockey Team - October 2021.pdf

Quinnville looks the worst out of all the parties involved other than McDonough and clearly seems evasive in his answers about the meeting during the investigation. There is no way Coach Q should survive this.

Here is Q's account of the meeting between Blackhawks execs and him about the issue:

During his interview, Quenneville generally recalled a meeting in
McDonough’s office after Game 4 of the San Jose series with members of the
Blackhawks’ senior management.439 Other participants in the meeting
recalled that Quenneville was not present for the first portion of the meeting
and was called upstairs to the Front Office to join the meeting after it had
started.440 Quenneville recalled others in the meeting stating that “an event
happened without saying what happened” and that “something may have
happened.”441 When interviewed, Quenneville stated that he believed that the
issue being discussed involved a coach doing something improper and that the
group was meeting to decide whether to “make it public.”442 Quenneville also
stated that he did not believe that John Doe’s name was referenced and, after
multiple interviews, Quenneville was unclear whether Aldrich’s name was
referenced.443
Quenneville also said when interviewed that he did not recall anyone saying it
was hard for the team to get where they were in the playoffs, but recalled that
his focus was on winning and this meeting was unexpected.444 He said that
there was no resolution of the situation at the meeting.445
Otherwise, Quenneville recalled nothing else regarding the meeting or the
events more broadly.

And here's Chevy's account:

Kevin Cheveldayoff, then the Assistant General Manager, recalled that there
was a meeting in McDonough’s office before a home game during the
Philadelphia series (the Stanley Cup Finals), and not the San Jose series.446
Regardless of when Cheveldayoff believed the meeting occurred, Cheveldayoff
recalled being in a meeting in McDonough’s office regarding Aldrich with
others in senior management, including McDonough, Bowman, MacIsaac, and
Quenneville.447 He recalled the group was told that there were allegations that
Aldrich was socializing with players outside the arena, Aldrich sent
inappropriate texts to players, and Aldrich made unwanted advances on
players.448 Cheveldayoff recalled that John Doe and Black Ace 1 were
specifically referenced during the meeting.449 Cheveldayoff also recalled that
he felt shocked at the time because it was not common for coaches and players
to socialize, and he believed at the time that the allegations were serious.450
He further recalled someone stating that the allegations needed to be
investigated and that someone would make sure the two players and Aldrich
would be kept separate.451 Cheveldayoff recalled no other substantive details
from the meeting.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Someone should ask Murat what he thinks about putting a puff piece about culture out today. Almost comes across as Schadenfreude.

The investigation was on going then right?

Perhaps getting ahead of it.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
We no longer have plausible deniability that Chevy wasn't aware of these allegations when they happened. The knee-jerk reaction is that everyone involved in this cover-up must be removed. They can't remain.

Someone should ask Murat what he thinks about putting a puff piece about culture out today. Almost comes across as Schadenfreude.

I did that already on twitter.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I have asked him this very thing. Not sure I'll be able to post the reply, but Murat is a good dude and I just don't see him colluding with a Jets PR move on this of all issues. I'm gonna go with coincidence, but it doesn't look great.

None

Feb 22, 2012

The investigation was on going then right?

Perhaps getting ahead of it.

You can see the date of the interview with Cheveldayoff in the investigation's citations. Kevin Cheveldayoff was interviewed on July 5th I believe.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You are not wrong, but what happens today in Chicago and across the league may change how this works going forward.

And that would be a very good thing. When people are afraid about their livelihoods it can make them not do the right thing.

We need to completely change the culture on how bog business operates with regards to whistle blowers and how they treat these types of allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad