Is it time for a Captaincy change?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
For those who used the Sharks and Pavelski as why we should get rid of the C on Getzlaf wonder what they now would say with Pavelski being terrible in the Stanley Cup finals. Getzlaf never was so terrible especially in such a huge huge series. Sharks had made good trades and signings that helped them that was big Pavelski getting the C was overrated.

I'm not sure I would agree with that. Pavelski was -5 for the entire series sure, but Getzlaf was -4 in games 6 and 7 against Chicago. You know the games where we had a 3-2 series lead and were eliminated. Games don't get much bigger than that. Pavs was getting beat all series, Getzlaf got beat when it mattered the most.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I'm not sure I would agree with that. Pavelski was -5 for the entire series sure, but Getzlaf was -4 in games 6 and 7 against Chicago. You know the games where we had a 3-2 series lead and were eliminated. Games don't get much bigger than that. Pavs was getting beat all series, Getzlaf got beat when it mattered the most.

Getzlaf had 2 bad games not the same as Pavelski having a empty net goal as his only point in the Stanley Cup finals. Pavelski in the Stanley Cup finals was a worse series then Getzlaf or Perry ever had.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Getzlaf had 2 bad games not the same as Pavelski having a empty net goal as his only point in the Stanley Cup finals. Pavelski in the Stanley Cup finals was a worse series then Getzlaf or Perry ever had.

Honestly I didn't watch the series so I don't know how bad Pavelski was. 1 EN goal from you're leading goal scorer is bad. Still better than ours did but that wasn't really my point. Was just pointing out that Getzlaf **** the bed pretty bad in the Chicago series. He might have had an overall better series than Pavs did but its not like Getzlaf hasn't had his own struggles.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
For those who used the Sharks and Pavelski as why we should get rid of the C on Getzlaf wonder what they now would say with Pavelski being terrible in the Stanley Cup finals. Getzlaf never was so terrible especially in such a huge huge series. Sharks had made good trades and signings that helped them that was big Pavelski getting the C was overrated.

Point taken, but I think the idea had less to do with whether Pavelski was a better captain and more to do with Thornton's 82 point season, which could have been a result of the pressure being lifted off of his shoulders, letting him just play. I still think it could have a similar effect on Getzy.

Wasn't Pavelski hurt? I thought I saw a couple times in different games where the trainer was attending to his hand.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Getzlaf has 99 points in 104 career playoff games. You can nitpick and subsample very selective portions of his career all you want (e.g. game 6 and 7 vs x. Game 3 and 6 vs y). It doesn't matter.

Bottom line, he's up there with the top playoff guys ever. Toews has 108 points in 124 games and he's regarded as one of the most clutch players ever. Getzlaf at least in this fan base is for some reason portrayed as a choke.

This is unacceptable. I'm using a 100+ game sample, yet somehow a 4 or 5 game sample of elimination games is more relevant. It isn't.

Getzlaf is a beast. A duck legend. His pitfalls in the playoffs have much more to do with his supporting cast than his ineptitude as a leader or a hockey player. Did I mention he led a cup champion in scoring? Yep. He did.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Getzlaf has 99 points in 104 career playoff games. You can nitpick and subsample very selective portions of his career all you want (e.g. game 6 and 7 vs x. Game 3 and 6 vs y). It doesn't matter.

Bottom line, he's up there with the top playoff guys ever. Toews has 108 points in 124 games and he's regarded as one of the most clutch players ever. Getzlaf at least in this fan base is for some reason portrayed as a choke.

This is unacceptable. I'm using a 100+ game sample, yet somehow a 4 or 5 game sample of elimination games is more relevant. It isn't.

Getzlaf is a beast. A duck legend. His pitfalls in the playoffs have much more to do with his supporting cast than his ineptitude as a leader or a hockey player. Did I mention he led a cup champion in scoring? Yep. He did.

It's because Toews may be a no-show at the start of series, but he comes through at the end of series and closes them out. Look at his production in elimination games (either to close out a team or to not be eliminated), and his record in elimination games. He's the very definition of clutch. His last 4 years: 6G, 15A, 21P, +6 (16 games)

St. Louis 3A, -1 (2 games)
Tampa Bay 0p, even (1 game)
Anaheim 2G, +3 (2 games)
Minnesota 2A, even (1 game)
Nashville 1G 2A, +1 (1 game)
LA 1G, 1A, -1(2 games)
Minnesota 0P, even (1 game)
St. Louis 1G, +1 (1 game)
Boston 1G, 1A, +1 (1 game)
LA 2A, +2 (1 game)
Detroit 2A, -1 (2 games)
Minnesota 2A, +1 (1 game)

Now look at Getzlaf's production in elimination games. It's really the opposite of clutch. He disappears at the end of series.

Nashville 0P, -1 (2 games)
Chicago 1A, -4(2 games)
Calgary 0P, even (1 game)
Winnipeg 0P, even (1 game)
LA 1A, -3 (2 games)
Dallas 0P, even (1 game)
Detroit 1A, -1 (2 games)

It isn't just 4 or 5 games. There are 11 elimination games in the last 4 years alone. Here's what Getzlaf has managed : 11 GP, 0G, 3A, 3P, -9. Compared to 16 GP 6G,15A, 21P, +6.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
It's because Toews may be a no-show at the start of series, but he comes through at the end of series and closes them out. Look at his production in elimination games (either to close out a team or to not be eliminated), and his record in elimination games. He's the very definition of clutch. His last 4 years: 6G, 15A, 21P, +6 (16 games)

Anaheim 2G, +3 (2 games)
LA 1G, 1A, -1(2 games)
LA 2A, +2 (1 game)
Detroit 2A, -1 (2 games)

Now look at Getzlaf's production in elimination games. It's really the opposite of clutch. He disappears at the end of series.

Chicago 1A, -4(2 games)
LA 1A, -3 (2 games)
Dallas 0P, even (1 game)
Detroit 1A, -1 (2 games)

It isn't just 4 or 5 games. There are 11 elimination games in the last 4 years alone. Here's what Getzlaf has managed : 11 GP, 0G, 3A, 3P, -9. Compared to 16 GP 6G,15A, 21P, +6.

God is this depressing.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's why I don't want him to be captain. His numbers were much better when he didn't have any leadership pressures. Under RC as captain, they were just as bad.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Anaheim 2G, +3 (2 games)
LA 1G, 1A, -1(2 games)
LA 2A, +2 (1 game)
Detroit 2A, -1 (2 games)

Chicago 1A, -4(2 games)
LA 1A, -3 (2 games)
Dallas 0P, even (1 game)
Detroit 1A, -1 (2 games)

He's no Toews. But he's far from a Rick Nash or pre 35 Joe Thornton. We could be doing much worse in terms of our best forward.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He's no Toews. But he's far from a Rick Nash or pre 35 Joe Thornton. We could be doing much worse in terms of our best forward.

His production in elimination games is actually worse than Nash the last 4 years (2G 5A). He's scored less, produced points in fewer games (4 vs 3, it's not like Nash is tearing it up outside of one game), and has a far worse +/- (+4 vs -9). Thornton's numbers are significantly better as well, you're going off of his reputation rather than his actual production.

I'm not saying he's a horrible person or player, I was mainly responding to the "he's just as good as Toews" comment - he's not even close as far as "clutch" goes. His numbers would be much better if Perry could be troubled to show up before those games were out of reach as well.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Trade Perry and strip Getty of the "C".

That's sending a clear message that being out of shape and floating through the playoffs isn't acceptable for anyone, especially not our two biggest stars and contracts.

Kesler is the real leader anyway.

Perry traded to Colorado for Landeskog (can play both wings) - which gives us more cap space, 7 year younger two-way stud with excellent leadership and character.

It also enables us to keep Fowler (and buy out Bieksa/Stoner - to also keep him after the expansion.)

God, I'm brilliant.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Trade Perry and strip Getty of the "C".

That's sending a clear message that being out of shape and floating through the playoffs isn't acceptable for anyone, especially not our two biggest stars and contracts.

Kesler is the real leader anyway.

Perry traded to Colorado for Landeskog (can play both wings) - which gives us more cap space, 7 year younger two-way stud with excellent leadership and character.

It also enables us to keep Fowler (and buy out Bieksa/Stoner - to also keep him after the expansion.)

God, I'm brilliant.

Getzlaf didn't float against Nashville. And good to see you're keeping up with your anti Perry agenda, you realise he's the only guy we have on the team who is a threat to hit 30 goals on an annual basis right?

No surprise you want him traded for another Swede. Colorado would never go for that by the way.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
His production in elimination games is actually worse than Nash the last 4 years (2G 5A). He's scored less, produced points in fewer games (4 vs 3, it's not like Nash is tearing it up outside of one game), and has a far worse +/- (+4 vs -9). Thornton's numbers are significantly better as well, you're going off of his reputation rather than his actual production.

I'm not saying he's a horrible person or player, I was mainly responding to the "he's just as good as Toews" comment - he's not even close as far as "clutch" goes. His numbers would be much better if Perry could be troubled to show up before those games were out of reach as well.

His production may be worse than them in elimination games but Nash and Thorntons (until a couple of years ago) overall playoff production is so much worse than their regular season performance that the superior elimination game production doesn't come close to making up the difference between them and Getzlafs playoff performance.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
His production may be worse than them in elimination games but Nash and Thorntons (until a couple of years ago) overall playoff production is so much worse than their regular season performance that the superior elimination game production doesn't come close to making up the difference between them and Getzlafs playoff performance.

Ah, ok, I was just discussing elimination games.

Getzlaf needs to get his head straight or risk becoming the new no-show joe though.

DaDucks*

Anaheim 2G, +3 (2 games)
LA 1G, 1A, -1(2 games)
LA 2A, +2 (1 game)
Detroit 2A, -1 (2 games)

Chicago 1A, -4(2 games)
LA 1A, -3 (2 games)
Dallas 0P, even (1 game)
Detroit 1A, -1 (2 games)

is this real?'

DaDucks*

If my Boss ever questioned my production, I plan on telling him, "well, at least I look good."

Last edited by a moderator:

DaDucks*

I feel 100% certain that this conversation already happened.

Haha. Ive never thought of doing so, until I read your post.

You better let those interns you have go, you're doing them a disservice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3