Is it time for a Captaincy change?

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
Trade Perry and strip Getty of the "C".

That's sending a clear message that being out of shape and floating through the playoffs isn't acceptable for anyone, especially not our two biggest stars and contracts.

Kesler is the real leader anyway.

Perry traded to Colorado for Landeskog (can play both wings) - which gives us more cap space, 7 year younger two-way stud with excellent leadership and character.

It also enables us to keep Fowler (and buy out Bieksa/Stoner - to also keep him after the expansion.)

God, I'm brilliant.

I don't know about that last part, but I'm totally with you on shaking this franchise up. I'm afraid we've possibly taken a HUGE step backward with going back to RC.

As far as I'm concerned, trade Boiler Boy as well as Perry. Those two are on cruise control, conducting themselves like pro athlete fatcats that are comfortable right where they are, including one SC ring.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
No surprise you want him traded for another Swede. Colorado would never go for that by the way.

Which other young winger with great leadership, character and two-way game, holding about the same value as Perry, on a good contract - would you rather have coming in then?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Which other young winger with great leadership, character and two-way game, holding about the same value as Perry, on a good contract - would you rather have coming in then?

If dreams are free and I could just pick a random "young" winger to trade Perry for, Landeskog wouldn't be the guy I would go for. And for next season when we're still trying to win I'd rather keep Perry, he's still a significantly better player and is the only guy on our roster who is a guarantee to hit 30 goals.

Also Colorado isn't trading a 23 year old for a 31 year old. Why would they do that?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
If dreams are free and I could just pick a random "young" winger to trade Perry for, Landeskog wouldn't be the guy I would go for.

Not at all dishonest of you to leave several variables out, that I used in my description. The perhaps most important one being "similar value".

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not at all dishonest of you to leave several variables out, that I used in my description. The perhaps most important one being "similar value".

They don't have close to similar value from the viewpoint of Colorado. Colorado would never trade a 23 year old first line winger for 31 year old first line winger who earns $3M more even if Perry is still the much better player. They're not in a contend for a cup now position, they've got a lot of young pieces in place for a window to open up but they're not at that point yet.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
From Colorado's perspective, it makes zero sense to move Landeskog for Perry, and a whole lot of sense not to. A move like that makes sense within a very narrow window, which is Colorado pushing for a Cup. That's pretty much it.

Unless there is some underlying reason that pushes them to move Landeskog, they aren't going to move him for a player that much older, even if Perry is the better player. And if there is a reason for them to move Landeskog, they would almost certainly be in a position to find a player that fits their current needs much better.

Oct 18, 2011
if murray got his **** together and added some actual players to this team the ducks could still win. but if he's going to allow us to keep losing talent and bringing in trash like boll regression can and will happen unless some young forwards are ready to step up. No excuses for Noesen or Kerdiles, this is their best shot to make it. i don't think blowing up the team is necessary

i had a dream we traded for landeskog tho

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Trade Perry and strip Getty of the "C".

That's sending a clear message that being out of shape and floating through the playoffs isn't acceptable for anyone, especially not our two biggest stars and contracts.

Kesler is the real leader anyway.

Perry traded to Colorado for Landeskog (can play both wings) - which gives us more cap space, 7 year younger two-way stud with excellent leadership and character.

It also enables us to keep Fowler (and buy out Bieksa/Stoner - to also keep him after the expansion.)

God, I'm brilliant.

Avalanche are not trading a younger cheaper player who is their Captain for Perry even with Perry being the better player at present. If we trade Perry we ain't going to be getting the pieces that make us a better team and our cup hopes are truly gone so might as well trade Kesler too because he won't be happy like he wasn't in Vancouver when he knew they wouldn't be winning.

Stripping our best player of the C to give it to Kesler ain't the way to go. Give it to someone who has been part of the team longer and didn't say trade me from another team.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Stripping our best player of the C to give it to Kesler ain't the way to go. Give it to someone who has been part of the team longer and didn't say trade me from another team.

In my eyes, Kesler is the real leader on the ice. He never takes any shifts off and plays with alot of heart and character. The same can not be said for Getzlaf.

The options aside from Kesler aren't great. Long time Ducks with leadership skills anywhere close to Kesler - do not exist.

Closest one might be Fowler, but he's probably on his way out. Lindholm plays with a lot of heart, but I don't see him as a leader of this team. Perhaps in 2-3 years, but not now.

Cogliano is the heart and soul of this team, but also lacks the leadership to become a captain.

The options aren't many.. Kesler is my choice in any case. Let's agree to disagree.

Hopefully Getzlaf has a season of the ages and puts the team on his shoulders to shut me up, but as it stands now - he isn't the best choice. If he plays better without those responsibilities, go for it.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
In my eyes, Kesler is the real leader on the ice. He never takes any shifts off and plays with alot of heart and character. The same can not be said for Getzlaf.

The options aside from Kesler aren't great. Long time Ducks with leadership skills anywhere close to Kesler - do not exist.

Closest one might be Fowler, but he's probably on his way out. Lindholm plays with a lot of heart, but I don't see him as a leader of this team. Perhaps in 2-3 years, but not now.

Cogliano is the heart and soul of this team, but also lacks the leadership to become a captain.

The options aren't many.. Kesler is my choice in any case. Let's agree to disagree.

Hopefully Getzlaf has a season of the ages and puts the team on his shoulders to shut me up, but as it stands now - he isn't the best choice. If he plays better without those responsibilities, go for it.

How does anyone not in that room or part of the team know this?

I'm not saying the Ducks should or should not change the captain but statements like this bug me. There is no way a fan could know what type of leader Cogs is inside the Ducks locker room.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Have we really had a problem with Getzlaf's "effort" the past two seasons? I could be remembering them wrong, but it was more his production and not his effort that we've had a problem with. IIRC, we were all fine with his effort this past postseason, just disappointed in his production almost in a "trying too hard" type of scenario. It could just be me, but lack of effort and Getzlaf haven't been synonymous for quite a while, I do love the jokes regarding it though! Perry on the other hand...

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
How does anyone not in that room or part of the team know this?

I'm not saying the Ducks should or should not change the captain but statements like this bug me. There is no way a fan could know what type of leader Cogs is inside the Ducks locker room.

Locker room?

A real leader leads on the ice, that's where the games are played.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Not Taking shifts off and working hard on the ice does not equal captain material leadership. Kesler has a very intense, grating personality that I don't think would make a great captain. He does lead by example in terms of work ethic but I imagine he would rub a lot of people up the wrong way in the locker room if he had the C.

Kind of like when Pronger was the captain for the year Nieds almost retired. It just didn't work and Pronger basically admitted as much. Those two have similar personalities.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Locker room?

A real leader leads on the ice, that's where the games are played.

You have no idea if Cogs lacks leadership qualities. None of us can. We are not with the team. And if you're claim a leader leads on the ice is all there is to leadership, Cogs would be a great leader because he busts his ass and plays with more desire then probably anyone on the team during games. You obviously have not been part of many teams or know what makes a good team leader. A lot of leadership type of things happen inside the locker room and these things affect how the team does on the field / ice / court.

You're statement about him was pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3