Is it time for a Captaincy change?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
For those who suggest Cogliano should get the "C", are you prepared to protect him in next summer's expansion draft ? I don't believe he makes the protected list for most fans using the 8 skater/1 goalie model. :dunno:

I think an "A" would be a safer route if we are changing up the team leadership. Certainly his on ice effort and professional focus would be deserving.

It's a fair question but as a Cogs supporter I'd say we should trying fix the problem now and deal with the future later. There is a whole lot of uncertainty about expansion, the roster, the coach, and how next year will even play out. Make the move now if management thinks it will help.

Last edited:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Now I would be happy to protect Cogliano, but also consider that you don't have to protect everyone you want to keep. The point of expansion is that teams will be forced to leave good players unprotected.

How likely would it be that Cogliano would be picked if he were left available?

I would assume they would try to maneuver down to 3 defensemen so they do the 7-3 thing instead of 8 anyways.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I think the Captain thing is totally overrated on here. In San Jose's case Joe had a weight lifted off his shoulders. Getzlaf actually played pretty well in game 7, but the Ducks didn't get their breaks after going down. However, they did stop the bleeding after two goals and made a game of it, unlike the last two game 7's previous. This is Getzlafs team, take that C away from him and we will certainly never see a cup while he's here, IMO.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
The Sharks are playing great but who is leading the playoffs in goals? Their C.

So if you feel like you're at a dead end in your job and you want to move on, that makes you a bad person? :shakehead I have no problems giving the C to Kesler, someone who plays his heart out and leaves everything on the ice for the Ducks the past two years. Someone similar to what Pavelski is to the Sharks. Getzlaf is a decent C but I think it will be good to take some pressure off of him and just let him play his game.

Yes they are playing great but it has nothing to do with him wearing a C. He has been good for a while now but if Sharks didn't make all those moves they wouldn't be as good a team and all this hearing about Pavelski wearing the C has change things wouldn't be said by anyone.

Kesler has been a Duck for 2 years the C should be with someone who has been part of the team longer. Kesler didn't think he could win in Vancouver. What if we give him the C and the same thing happens?

Pavelski is better and has been a Shark his entire NHL career never asking to be traded because he didn't think his team could win despite a lot of people not thinking they could. He is much better material for wearing a C for the Sharks then Kesler is for the Ducks.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Getzlaf was selected as a captain by the locker room. Locker room which consisted of Selanne and Koivu.

Why are we certain next coach will be better than BB?

To be honest, I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone they bring in will be "better" than BB. There's a reason that Calgary dumped Hartley like a hot potato as soon as he became available, and everyone else went bananas to get an interview. He was hands down the best available coach at this time. Not to say that I don't think a coaching change would be good for ANA, but I do think it could have waited until there was a clear upgrade available.

Back to the topic at hand, voted yes. While you can never really tell how "captainly" they may be in the room.... it just seems like someone like Kes or Cogs that visibly gives so much each and every game would be a better role model for the rest of the team.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Being a captain is more than just stats or even intensity. A good captain can keep the team focused despite the coach. I'm sure Scotty's leadership had a lot to do with 2007.

As for Thornton, I hope no one forgot 2009 when the Duck's ushered out the then President Trophy winners in the first round. Jumbo Joe's famous statement about the other teams that wished they had done so well to finish first in the league. When I heard that I thought... the Sharks will never win a SC with Thornton as the captain. Where's the anger at losing?

I see some of the same traits in Getzlaf. If your captain isn't going to show any emotion and accepts losing, why would anyone else be upset. At least Cogs was ticked at the outcome and the Boudreau firing.

John

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Leadership is Scotty refusing to let the team go off the rails when Alfredsson pulled his stupid stunt in the 07 finals. We don't currently have that level of leadership. Our leaders loose their cool and their focus when things don't go their way. Over and over again.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Leadership is Scotty refusing to let the team go off the rails when Alfredsson pulled his stupid stunt in the 07 finals. We don't currently have that level of leadership. Our leaders loose their cool and their focus when things don't go their way. Over and over again.

Getzlaf would chase him into the locker room or throw his stick lol

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

The problem is the guy who most posters want to step in and take the C from Getzlaf is an absolute hot head too. Kesler is dirty, runs his mouth and whines a huge amount yet everybody thinks he will be an ideal solution.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The problem is the guy who most posters want to step in and take the C from Getzlaf is an absolute hot head too. Kesler is dirty, runs his mouth and whines a huge amount yet everybody thinks he will be an ideal solution.

there's no way kesler whines as much as getzlaf does. i cringe everytime there's a penalty called on getzlaf because he just starts yapping away at the refs

but the bottom line is that kesler brings it night in and night out, something getzlaf doesn't do

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed. Also why I'm on the Cogs bandwagon.

Think about the pesty things Kesler does to the other team. Do you think that will get respect from the refs?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
there's no way kesler whines as much as getzlaf does. i cringe everytime there's a penalty called on getzlaf because he just starts yapping away at the refs

but the bottom line is that kesler brings it night in and night out, something getzlaf doesn't do

He might not whine at the refs as much but you can see him on the bench whining at the opposition and sometimes even his own guys. He's got an attitude that I think would wear thin on his team-mates.

And yeah his work ethic is better than Getzlaf's. But having good work ethic doesn't necessarily mean he would be a great leader.

Agreed. Also why I'm on the Cogs bandwagon.

Think about the pesty things Kesler does to the other team. Do you think that will get respect from the refs?

Yeah I wouldn't mind Cogs. Beauchemin would be great to still have. He was a hard worker and kept a level head the majority of the time. We don't really have anyone on the blueline I would be comfortable putting a letter on at the moment as ~80% of our D are 24 or under.

Ultimately I would keep it on Getzlaf for a year under a new coach and see how we do.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA

Comparing Getzlaf to Scotty in terms of leadership is a bit unfair. Almost everyone would look ****** next to him. The first round loss was not on him IMO. I would look to see the C stripped and have somebody emerge that proves he can be the leader this team needs. Hell, it could still be Getzlaf but a reevaluation of this team's leadership is necessary, I think.

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
It needs another year before re-evaluation. Getz played fine in the series vs. Nashville overall. He had 1 or 2 bad games in the series, but that is where the team also had bad games. I think some of the comments here are a bit arbitrary and generic, a lot of finger pointing that it was his responsibility as a captain that the team lost. He had injured and useless linemates for most of the series to be honest.

We should be really targetting Perry as the one who gets the A removed as he has consistently (over the last 4-5 playoffs) stunk it up. His inability to perform consistently in the playoffs should be more of a concern than Getz. 0 goals seeing 20+ minutes a night is pretty terrible offensive production for our only pure goal scorer on this team.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It needs another year before re-evaluation. Getz played fine in the series vs. Nashville overall. He had 1 or 2 bad games in the series, but that is where the team also had bad games. I think some of the comments here are a bit arbitrary and generic, a lot of finger pointing that it was his responsibility as a captain that the team lost. He had injured and useless linemates for most of the series to be honest.

We should be really targetting Perry as the one who gets the A removed as he has consistently (over the last 4-5 playoffs) stunk it up. His inability to perform consistently in the playoffs should be more of a concern than Getz. 0 goals seeing 20+ minutes a night is pretty terrible offensive production for our only pure goal scorer on this team.

Perry played with linemates just like that in this playoffs. Perry has had 2 bad playoffs since breaking out into a top player and this year he had a solid excuse for not being that good. Now he could of been better but it wasn't easy for him. He hasn't stunk it up constantly.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Perry should have the A removed only because he seems like exactly the type of player who gets a letter for the sole reason he's one of the team's top players. He doesn't strike me as a natural leader on or off the ice.

As for Getz, I don't know if anyone is blaming him for losing the Nashville series (maybe some are, I'm not reading every single post in every single thread). I think the general consensus is maybe removing the C would allow him to focus more on his own game without the added stress/responsibilities of being captain, not only in the locker room but with the media.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I did have the word fairly in there. And I'm honestly becoming less and less convinced that they mean anything significant. Or, that their greatest significance is who can talk to the refs in a game.

Then I'd ask how well you remember Chris Pronger in 2007-2008, when he was wearing the C. It clearly distracted him. Or if you remember the Ottawa series, when Niedermayer had Alfredsson shoot the puck at him, and he went into the locker room to settle the team down and get them to focus on the game.

Or how about anytime Getzlaf loses his cool, and you can see that frustration mirrored by the rest of the team.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Then I'd ask how well you remember Chris Pronger in 2007-2008, when he was wearing the C. It clearly distracted him. Or if you remember the Ottawa series, when Niedermayer had Alfredsson shoot the puck at him, and he went into the locker room to settle the team down and get them to focus on the game.

Or how about anytime Getzlaf loses his cool, and you can see that frustration mirrored by the rest of the team.

I think those are all wonderful examples. Of confirmation bias. I remember all of those things, just not like you do.

The Alfredsson example is truly a bizarre one. Does the team ignore him if he's trying to calm everyone down but isn't wearing the C?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think those are all wonderful examples. Of confirmation bias. I remember all of those things, just not like you do.

The Alfredsson example is truly a bizarre one. Does the team ignore him if he's trying to calm everyone down but isn't wearing the C?

No, but maybe he doesn't try to calm them down to begin with. Maybe the player wearing the C has another message.

And really? Just how do you remember those things?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
No, but maybe he doesn't try to calm them down to begin with. Maybe the player wearing the C has another message.

And really? Just how do you remember those things?

And maybe someone with an A or maybe no letter at all, be it Nieds, Teemu, Marchant or whoever says the obvious.

As for how I remember things, I remember most of the team struggling in 08, and Pronger still had a pretty good year. He also won the freaking Hart trophy with the C on his chest, so your narrative of him feeling the pressure or whatever really doesn't hold up.

I could question how you remember things if you're using Niedermayer's "calming influence" in 2007 as an example of letters being meaningful. That was a very undisciplined team that racked up suspensions in 60% of their playoff losses. They lost their cool a hell of a lot more than any Getzlaf teams ever have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad