Is it time for a Captaincy change?

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
I say give Getz one more year with the C, under the new coach. If The team chokes in the playoffs or fails to make it, then give it to change it up I guess. I guess Kesler would be the most likely option.

Oct 18, 2011
The problem is the guy who most posters want to step in and take the C from Getzlaf is an absolute hot head too. Kesler is dirty, runs his mouth and whines a huge amount yet everybody thinks he will be an ideal solution.

the difference is kesler always plays hard and gives it his all so guys will be more likely to follow him, whereas if getzlaf is preaching about effort and cleaning up defensively, it probably falls on deaf ears when he regularly has issues with both

we're not in the room, but i just remember my days on competitive sports teams, nobody wanted to hear the guy like getzlaf talk you would just roll your eyes and say whatever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
the difference is kesler always plays hard and gives it his all so guys will be more likely to follow him, whereas if getzlaf is preaching about effort and cleaning up defensively, it probably falls on deaf ears when he regularly has issues with both

we're not in the room, but i just remember my days on competitive sports teams, nobody wanted to hear the guy like getzlaf talk you would just roll your eyes and say whatever

If leadership was all about perceived effort then you'd get guys like Joel Ward and Carl Hagelin captaining every team.

I also had no issue with Getzlaf's work ethic in the Preds series.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I want to know what the problem was that Bob Murray mentioned in his post season presser when asked about changing captains

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
If leadership was all about perceived effort then you'd get guys like Joel Ward and Carl Hagelin captaining every team.

I also had no issue with Getzlaf's work ethic in the Preds series.

It's not all about effort, but I long for the day when the C wasn't just given to the most skilled player on the team by default, because leadership has even less to do with skill on the ice than perceived effort does.

I agree that Getzlaf was working hard in the Nashville series though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
You can't be serious. Or should captain based on who makes the most money or scores the most points?

No but ideally it's someone who isn't overly likely to be moved. Cogs is awesome but he's not exactly someone who is off limits in very many trades.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No but ideally it's someone who isn't overly likely to be moved. Cogs is awesome but he's not exactly someone who is off limits in very many trades.

Well, at the same time he's not the guy who would be a key acquisition to put a team over the hump. Without someone severely overpaying I don't see Cogs being a guy we would be looking to move.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well, at the same time he's not the guy who would be a key acquisition to put a team over the hump. Without someone severely overpaying I don't see Cogs being a guy we would be looking to move.

I hope he's not moved. But looking at the budget crunch we are in and the unmovable contracts we have (cough Bieksa and Stoner cough) as well as expansion coming up who knows if he's still here a year from now.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I hope he's not moved. But looking at the budget crunch we are in and the unmovable contracts we have (cough Bieksa and Stoner cough) as well as expansion coming up who knows if he's still here a year from now.

I agree that this summer should be interesting relative to Bob's attempt to right the ship. And for sure any expansion confirmation will be a real circus event, especially here on HF. :laugh:

All that said I guess if Bob can be so stupid as to let a guy walk who was a leader as well as a very good player, only to replace him with a worse player, give up a second, and sign him to a NMC, it shouldn't surprise me if Cogs or anybody finds themselves gone.

I really do think this emoji sums up my thoughts going into the summer...:popcorn:

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I say give Getz one more year with the C, under the new coach. If The team chokes in the playoffs or fails to make it, then give it to change it up I guess. I guess Kesler would be the most likely option.

I'm relatively sure that following another early exit or missing of the playoffs, Murray would probably consider going the Richards/Carter route with Getzlaf and Perry let alone there being changes in captaincy.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I love Cogs, but come on.....he's no captain. I say let Getzlaf keep it.

Do you remember in Game 6 or 7 when Pierre was between the benches and talking about what the Ducks need to do to settle down? He said he talked to Boudreau and asked who the team looks to on the bench in a situation like that and he said there's two guys on the team whose voices and play they can look to...

It wasn't Getzlaf and Perry. It was Cogliano and Horcoff. He said Cogliano and Horcoff were the two guys to look for in those dire situations.

Now I don't want either of them dealt and I think you can be a good leader without being very vocal in that same sense as well, but at the same time it is a little bit disheartening yet gratifying to hear that about guys like that.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
He's too laid back and you usually want one of your better players to wear the C. Considering he may be on the block too that can't be too good.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For all I said earlier, I do buy that certain players would struggle with the pressure of wearing the C, and I think Cogs would be one of them. He has confidence issues already, and I think that would multiply if he was seen as the leader on a team.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's too laid back and you usually want one of your better players to wear the C. Considering he may be on the block too that can't be too good.

You mean he doesn't always yell and lose his cool? So we just lucked out in 07 with the wrong guy as C? Being the most talented does not make one worthy of the C unless letters have lost all their previous meaning. Which apparently they seem to have. And if it weren't for the existence of NMCs I'd say everybody could be on the block.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
For all I said earlier, I do buy that certain players would struggle with the pressure of wearing the C, and I think Cogs would be one of them. He has confidence issues already, and I think that would multiply if he was seen as the leader on a team.

Please explain. His talent is limited. He can't finish for ****. But I see no lack of confidence in doing his job in the role he is cut out for. Every game he is out there busting his ass doing his job with the tenacity of hungry dog on a bone. Seems to me you're describing the current C.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
You mean he doesn't always yell and lose his cool? So we just lucked out in 07 with the wrong guy as C? Being the most talented does not make one worthy of the C unless letters have lost all their previous meaning. Which apparently they seem to have. And if it weren't for the existence of NMCs I'd say everybody could be on the block.
The guy in 07 could take over a game when necessary....

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Please explain. His talent is limited. He can't finish for ****. But I see no lack of confidence in doing his job in the role he is cut out for. Every game he is out there busting his ass doing his job with the tenacity of hungry dog on a bone. Seems to me you're describing the current C.

He alluded to it this season and last, I believe. Was a team-wide thing this year, but he also slumped last year, offensively he can be a bit streaky. And if he's wearing the C, I'm guessing he'll put pressure on himself to be a leader offensively. Also be kind of weird to have a captain who would be on the bench with the game on the line.

Like others have said, many teams have guys like Cogs and none of them have the C. It's not a bad thing at all. Marchant never wore a letter either, and he never needed it. Neither does Cogs.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's not a scorer. I never saw him slump at working hard, making hits, forcing turnovers and forechecking non stop. He knows his job. He isn't going to try and be what he isn't. Cogs doesn't need it as much as the team does. But hey, I'm sure Getzlaf will have some great quotes come training camp. Along with a new coach and another catchy slogan, I can hardly wait.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He's not a scorer. I never saw him slump at working hard, making hits, forcing turnovers and forechecking non stop. He knows his job. He isn't going to try and be what he isn't. Cogs doesn't need it as much as the team does. But hey, I'm sure Getzlaf will have some great quotes come training camp. Along with a new coach and another catchy slogan, I can hardly wait.

If he's the leader of the team, you can bet your ass he'll try and be more than a role player. He'll want to lead in every aspect.

But, it's a moot point, I can say with ease that Cogs won't be the captain of this team. Probably time to accept that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad