Is it time for a Captaincy change?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Getzlaf led the team in points and PPG, while being ill with and then missing games for surgery for appendicitis. Brown had 28 points.

There are legitimate reasons to discuss Getzlaf and the C, Dustin Brown is not one of them.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Getzlaf shouldn't be captain not because he isn't a good captain as much as I don't think the pressure of being the captain is necessarily good for him. Give him an A and just let him play hockey.

Spot on. He tries but is just not cut out for the role, and IMO it is impacting his actual play. Just let him play hockey.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Kesler "C"
Getzlaf "A"
Cogliano "A"

That's how I'd do it. I agree with DVM that being the captain is a negative pressure on Getzlaf. Where a guy like Kesler could probably thrive in the role of Captain. Getzlaf in my opinion is still a good leader, he just would probably benefit from not being THE leader. Then Cogliano over Perry to me makes sense because Cogliano is the kind of guy who would do anything for his team. We saw that kind of drive from Perry once. In 2011 when he carried the team on his back. Otherwise we only really see Perry play intense when someone pisses him off and even then it's not a guarantee. There's no way to slice it. The guy gets paid 8 million dollars and is looked upon to be a team leader and a difference maker. But he didn't play like it until the last 5 minutes of the Nashville series. And while I'm glad that he felt bad about his performance, because it shows he's self aware, a message needs to be sent to the players that they are going to start being held accountable. And I think this would be a good way to send that message. Reward the guy that busts his ass every night, and hopefully light a fire under the guy that needs a lit fire to be his best.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
My concern would be one of ego. Would Getzlaf take it personally, if he were stripped? Would that impact his performance?

Not really an argument for him to be Captain, I admit.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't like Kesler as the C because he's a hot head and has a very intense personality. He also whines just as much as Getzlaf and has done his fair share of diving and cheap shotting. Say what you will about Getzlaf but he's a very clean player for someone as physical as he is.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't like Kesler as the C because he's a hot head and has a very intense personality. He also whines just as much as Getzlaf and has done his fair share of diving and cheap shotting. Say what you will about Getzlaf but he's a very clean player for someone as physical as he is.

He's also known for sulking in the locker room. I'm not really sure that's the kind of personality we want trying to lead when things aren't going well.

Getzlaf strikes me more as the kind of player who talks, even when you're frustrated that he's the one contributing to the team letdown.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Kind of sucks the way things turned out, since if we wanted to make a change, Beauch would have been the perfect choice to wear the C.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's also known for sulking in the locker room. I'm not really sure that's the kind of personality we want trying to lead when things aren't going well.

Getzlaf strikes me more as the kind of player who talks, even when you're frustrated that he's the one contributing to the team letdown.

Not that I support him for captain (because I don't) but my understanding is that he isn't sulking, he's just very intense before games, in a zone, and isn't really about anything else. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a few more of the players take that approach. Maybe the last four years would have turned out different.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Kesler "C"
Getzlaf "A"
Cogliano "A"

That's how I'd do it. I agree with DVM that being the captain is a negative pressure on Getzlaf. Where a guy like Kesler could probably thrive in the role of Captain. Getzlaf in my opinion is still a good leader, he just would probably benefit from not being THE leader. Then Cogliano over Perry to me makes sense because Cogliano is the kind of guy who would do anything for his team. We saw that kind of drive from Perry once. In 2011 when he carried the team on his back. Otherwise we only really see Perry play intense when someone pisses him off and even then it's not a guarantee. There's no way to slice it. The guy gets paid 8 million dollars and is looked upon to be a team leader and a difference maker. But he didn't play like it until the last 5 minutes of the Nashville series. And while I'm glad that he felt bad about his performance, because it shows he's self aware, a message needs to be sent to the players that they are going to start being held accountable. And I think this would be a good way to send that message. Reward the guy that busts his ass every night, and hopefully light a fire under the guy that needs a lit fire to be his best.

Yes lets give the C to someone who has been part of the team for 2 years and has told his previous team trade me and only listing 2 teams when he didn't think he could win with them. If he thinks he can't win wth the Ducks wouldn't be surprised if he would want to be traded again. Giving a C to someone like that :badidea:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yes lets give the C to someone who has been part of the team for 2 years and has told his previous team trade me and only listing 2 teams when he didn't think he could win with them. If he thinks he can't win wth the Ducks wouldn't be surprised if he would want to be traded again. Giving a C to someone like that :badidea:

Actually I'd rather just switch Cogliano for Perry. I just posted a scenario where we do switch the captain out. Kesler would be my first choice. I don't like any other ones. Not Perry. Not Fowler. Not Cogliano...seriously no one. Getzlaf or Kesler.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

He didn't want to stick around through a rebuild at his age. I'm not sure I see that as a negative.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He didn't want to stick around through a rebuild at his age. I'm not sure I see that as a negative.

Canucks are not rebuilding even with most people knowing they should. He didn't want to stick with a team that he didn't feel could win with for whatever reason and wouldn't even except being traded to anyone but the Ducks and Blackhawks who he felt had best chance to win. If he thinks Ducks won't be able to win or might rebuild he will probably want to be traded. Shouldn't give a C to someone who has done that before and will probably do it again.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Canucks are not rebuilding even with most people knowing they should. He didn't want to stick with a team that he didn't feel could win with for whatever reason and wouldn't even except being traded to anyone but the Ducks and Blackhawks who he felt had best chance to win. If he thinks Ducks won't be able to win or might rebuild he will probably want to be traded. Shouldn't give a C to someone who has done that before and will probably do it again.

Kesler absolutely does not agree with you.

Kesler met with Canucks general manager Jim Benning after the season and came away with the feeling the team was not going to be in position to win the Stanley Cup in the near future. That did not sit well with him, so he told Benning he'd be willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to either the Ducks or the Chicago Blackhawks.

"I'm turning 30 [on Aug. 31] and not only do I want to win the Stanley Cup, I want to be a big part of winning the Stanley Cup," Kesler said. "I'm not getting any younger. I want to win a championship. With the direction [Vancouver] is going, I think us and management just made a decision that it was time to move on."

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-get-kesler-in-trade-from-canucks/c-724128

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

What if he doesn't like the direction the Ducks are going sometime in the future? Don't give a C to someone who will want to be traded if he doesn't like the direction his team is going which is not winning. It is obvious he didn't think they would win for whatever reason. If Getzlaf and Perry slow down and Ducks start to have trouble making the playoffs or keep choking he will eventually not like the direction the team is headed.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
For those who used the Sharks and Pavelski as why we should get rid of the C on Getzlaf wonder what they now would say with Pavelski being terrible in the Stanley Cup finals. Getzlaf never was so terrible especially in such a huge huge series. Sharks had made good trades and signings that helped them that was big Pavelski getting the C was overrated.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For those who used the Sharks and Pavelski as why we should get rid of the C on Getzlaf wonder what they now would say with Pavelski being terrible in the Stanley Cup finals. Getzlaf never was so terrible especially in such a huge huge series. Sharks had made good trades and signings that helped them that was big Pavelski getting the C was overrated.

Who wears the C is no where near as important as people think.

And yeah Pavelski didn't show up when it mattered. Couture and Ward were the only forwards that had a good series.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3