Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The Jackets are the only team in the NHL with a point total in the 50s currently. Anaheim has 49 for third worst record and Ottawa has 60 for fifth. Just struck me as funny.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wouldn’t bet against it. This team loves in house hires. I don’t care what they say about looking outside the organization. I would bet they hire from within.
I don’t know how many times JD has to say the hire will be external for people to believe it will be external. He didn’t even mention in house candidates would get an interview, although I bet they will.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the name "Rick Nash" and the words "general manager". For a moment I thought that Davidson may have gone completely insane and named Rick as the CBJ GM.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don’t know how many times JD has to say the hire will be external for people to believe it will be external. He didn’t even mention in house candidates would get an interview, although I bet they will.
Has he specifically said external or has he just said they want someone with experience?

I'm all in on going outside the organization because it is the right move. We need to move away from the internal stuff that permeates the entire organization but I'm also convinced Rick Nash will be the next GM after the next guy leaves.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I almost had a heart attack when I saw the name "Rick Nash" and the words "general manager". For a moment I thought that Davidson may have gone completely insane and named Rick as the CBJ GM.
I did the same thing when I saw the notification on my phone earlier and I felt instant relief after I reread it again

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Has he specifically said external or has he just said they want someone with experience?

I'm all in on going outside the organization because it is the right move. We need to move away from the internal stuff that permeates the entire organization but I'm also convinced Rick Nash will be the next GM after the next guy leaves.

He said they were going to be focusing on outside candidates.

Reactions: CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He said they were going to be focusing on outside candidates.
Thats the key. He didn't guarantee an outside hire.

I still think they'll ultimately end up there because it's the right move and he's not possibly stupid enough to make a risky hire at the point.

There will be a day in the future where Rick Nash is GM and/or president of this team. You can probably write that in stone but it shouldn't be now.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Yes he said during the Jarmo firing presser the next GM will be an outside hire

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So you skew the following question but in truth the answer doesn’t matter to you.
I know what I believe the right thing is to do.

I know what this team says they are going to do.

I know this team can and has lied to us. Even if it was out of ignorance and not intentional.

Remember when they told us they did all the proper due diligence before hiring Babcock? Clearly they did not.

Nothing is certain in this life except death, taxes, and maybe the CBJ blowing a 3rd period lead. They can start this process with one intention and the situation can change as they dive into it.

I said it earlier that I do believe they will make an external hire because it makes logical sense to bring in someone from the outside. I also wouldn't be surprised that something changes during the interview process and there is consideration to go to an internal path.

Nothing this organization does will be a surprise to me not matter how normal or far out that decision may be.

Reactions: EspenK and koteka

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know DSL. What I hear Balls saying is he no longer trusts this front office and thinks their words have lost credibility. Correct me if I'm reading too much into that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't know DSL. What I hear Balls saying is he no longer trusts this front office and thinks their words have lost credibility. Correct me if I'm reading too much into that.
So why ask the question? What difference does it make?

IB has a good post right above yours but it doesn’t change that they asked a question, got an answer and was like, yeah whatever.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Nothing this organization does will be a surprise to me not matter how normal or far out that decision may be.

I recognize dysfunction when I see it. This organization has been pretty dysfunctional since about the time they signed Michael Del Zotto. Coincidence?

I am with you. Nothing will surprise me. I am just hoping we stumble into a really good hire.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn’t bet against it. This team loves in house hires. I don’t care what they say about looking outside the organization. I would bet they hire from within.
Rick Nash may be the eventual GM but I would be willing to bet they have their sights on someone from the outside that will eventually slide up to President of Hockey Operations to replace JD in a couple years. At that point, Nash may have multiple people to learn from and possibly be the GM. I don't see any internal candidates on the horizon for this club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad