Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Mackinnon is pacing 76 5v5 points, and McDavid is pacing 77 5v5 points.

Those would be the highest totals in a quarter century.

The current record holder, for most 5v5 points in a season in the last quarter century, is some guy named John Gaudreau, in 2021-22.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

The current record holder, for most 5v5 points in a season in the last quarter century, is some guy named John Gaudreau, in 2021-22.
Sounds like a scrub to me.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I believe that his 21-22 performance can safely be placed in the "outlier" camp at this point.

Johnny Hockey will likely never be a PPG player with the CBJ in any season. CBJ bought high on his free agency. Trending toward awful contract status.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Johnny Hockey will likely never be a PPG player with the CBJ in any season. CBJ bought high on his free agency. Trending toward awful contract status.

I would think if we were "buying high" on a guy who just set the highest 5v5 scoring mark in a quarter century, we'd be paying him $13m a year. Instead we somehow got him under $10m.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would think if we were "buying high" on a guy who just set the highest 5v5 scoring mark in a quarter century, we'd be paying him $13m a year. Instead we somehow got him under $10m.
Such a deal!!!!

Paying players who are 29 years old and almost certainly past their peak based on a single season that couldn't be replicated is quite savvy. :thumbu: Best I can recall is that due to cap considerations, only NJ and the CBJ were really in the game for him and Jersey backed off leaving JHockey with one choice.

His contract is already an albatross and it has 5 more years to run. Look for heavy retention and a JHockey blue light sale under the new GM.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Such a deal!!!!

Paying players who are 29 years old and almost certainly past their peak based on a single season that couldn't be replicated is quite savvy.

Again you're just reiterating that you think Johnny was paid based on that one season. He obviously was not, or we'd be paying him $13m a year. We understood and the whole league understood his level.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I believe that his 21-22 performance can safely be placed in the "outlier" camp at this point.

I'm willing to bet Johnny's numbers are mostly because of the organization surrounding him than him under performing. That season was hardly an outlier when he also hit 99 points in 18-19.

How many times has this organization even had someone perform up to the level of his "bad" seasons?

Reactions: CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I mean two years of one of the worst teams in hockey is likely going to make it a challeng to be a PPG player. Just look at the history of the CBJ and their PPG players vs their record. Let's take a look at the storied history of PPG players for the CBJ

1) Artemi Panarin (1.06) - The only player in CBJ history with an average above PPG. Was here for two years and both teams were playoff teams.
2) Ray Whitney (0.93) - never did it (3 assists in 3 games when he got here certainly does not count).
3) Johnny Gaudrea (0.83) - hasn't done it yet (5 more chances)
4) Rick Nash (0.81) - did it twice (54pts in 54 games in 05/06 and 79 in 78 in 08/09 playoff year)
5) Patrik Laine (0.79) - did it once 56pts in 56 games in 21/22
6) Kristian Huselius (0.75) - never did it

The list goes on but only gets lower with no single season outliers. While it isn't 100% true, there is a large correlation between a good team (playoffs) and having a PPG type player. If/When CBJ improves to a playoff club again, I am pretty certain that JG will be PPG player again. His play hasn't necessarily changes but his surrounding team sure has. Let's give it a bit eh?

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I mean two years of one of the worst teams in hockey is likely going to make it a challeng to be a PPG player. Just look at the history of the CBJ and their PPG players vs their record. Let's take a look at the storied history of PPG players for the CBJ

1) Artemi Panarin (1.06) - The only player in CBJ history with an average above PPG. Was here for two years and both teams were playoff teams.
2) Ray Whitney (0.93) - never did it (3 assists in 3 games when he got here certainly does not count).
4) Rick Nash (0.81) - did it twice (54pts in 54 games in 05/06 and 79 in 78 in 08/09 playoff year)

The list goes on but only gets lower with no single season outliers. While it isn't 100% true, there is a large correlation between a good team (playoffs) and having a PPG type player. If/When CBJ improves to a playoff club again, I am pretty certain that JG will be PPG player again. His play hasn't necessarily changes but his surrounding team sure has. Let's give it a bit eh?
Interesting (and depressing) information.

Regardless of which team he'd be playing with, JG certainly peaked in 21-22 with his 115 points. The CBJ signed him when he was turning 29 for his first season in Columbus. Most players peak offensively in their mid to late 20s. JGs outlier season was almost certainly his peak. While the McDavids and Crosbys and Ovechkins tend to produce at high rates in their 30s, they're in the superstar category. JG is not an elite player and can be expected to continue on a flat to downward trend for the remainder of his contact. I am not a fan of signing almost 30 year olds to big money long term deals. JG has further cemented my view on this matter.

He's two years into a seven year deal and his numbers aren't close to supporting an almost $10m/yr deal. He'll be 31 starting next season and if he follows a normal scoring trajectory for most players, he'll never come close to being a PPG player again which makes his deal borderline albatross.

Jarmo signed the shiniest toy available to "prove" that UFAs would come to Columbus. Gaudreau evidently needed better players to play with in Columbus (he never produced at a high level with Laine IIRC) to produce the numbers he produced in Calgary. He's showing himself to be a complementary player rather than a star. The problem is that he makes star money and has star term.

At this point, he's a liability on the balance sheet. His trade value is almost zero save for some heavy duty retention.

I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong next season, but I don't think that's going to happen. Jarmo has saddled the next GM with a very bad contract in JG. In and of itself, not that big of a deal. But when one adds in Severson, Elvis and Laine, the aggregate long term contracts on this team are abysmal and JGs is at the top of the list.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
JG is not an elite player and can be expected to continue on a flat to downward trend for the remainder of his contact.

He's two years into a seven year deal and his numbers aren't close to supporting an almost $10m/yr deal. He'll be 31 starting next season and if he follows a normal scoring trajectory for most players, he'll never come close to being a PPG player again which makes his deal borderline albatross.

At this point, he's a liability on the balance sheet. His trade value is almost zero save for some heavy duty retention.
just gonna drop this here for no particular reason

with one-dimensional players who can score in bunches but are stuck on bad teams, these types of narratives can change at the drop of a hat.

miller and boeser both went from being called immovable assets to being two of the most productive players in hockey from one season to the next. gaudreau and laine seem like pretty straightforward parallels for those two guys.

Reactions: Indy18

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
just gonna drop this here for no particular reason

with one-dimensional players who can score in bunches but are stuck on bad teams, these types of narratives can change at the drop of a hat.

miller and boeser both went from being called immovable assets to being two of the most productive players in hockey from one season to the next. gaudreau and laine seem like pretty straightforward parallels for those two guys.

I'll argue that they're not parallels.

Boeser is 27 on a much smaller deal which expires after next season and isn't viewed as an elite player.

Miller has scored 30+ goals in each of last 3 years (including this season) and has point totals of 99, 82 and stands a good chance of breaking 100 this season. Also, he just signed his new deal and was approaching UFA status based on your time table.

Gaudreau is tracking toward a pathetic 60 points season. Miller never hit that type of low since he's been with the Canucks.

Additionally, neither is a midget.:pickle:

I hope Gaudreau starts living up to his deal. I'm not optimistic regarding this, however.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'll argue that they're not parallels.

Boeser is 27 on a much smaller deal which expires after next season and isn't viewed as an elite player.
boeser is 27 and is on a contract that expires when he's 28. laine is 25 and is on a contract that expires when he's 28.

boeser was seen as a negative-value player last year, coincidentally while dealing with mental health issues. laine was seen as a negative-value player this year, while dealing with his own mental health issues.

neither are "the guy" on their respective clubs, but have the ability to be extremely productive scoring wingers.

it's about as good of a parallel as you are going to see.
Miller has scored 30+ goals in each of last 3 years (including this season) and has point totals of 99, 82 and stands a good chance of breaking 100 this season. Also, he just signed his new deal and was approaching UFA status based on your time table.

Gaudreau is tracking toward a pathetic 60 points season. Miller never hit that type of low since he's been with the Canucks.
they're basically the same age, and both took a step back from their career highs two years ago last year while on bad teams. miller was seen by many (including folks on this board!) as being a net-negative player with empty-calories production.

my point isn't that they are going to have the exact same trajectory but that the canucks were seen as a hopeless team with albatross contracts for top six forwards. then the team turned it around and suddenly those guys were good again.

Additionally, neither is a midget.:pickle:
dawg, it's 2024. let's not.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

to be fair, they had two guys in the top 16 in scoring in 14-15:
  • foligno: 73 points (t-10th)
  • johansen: 71 points (t-16th)
last year, the 10th place scorer (elias pettersson) had 102 points, and 16th place (crosby) had 93. so they did have two elite scorers one year, it just happened to be a year where scoring was way down and the team sucked, lol

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I do sort of buy this, that he didn’t want to coach the team anymore but wanted to stay in the game, but I do think torts always envisioned returning to coaching at some point.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I do sort of buy this, that he didn’t want to coach the team anymore but wanted to stay in the game, but I do think torts always envisioned returning to coaching at some point.

I'm sure Doug's sources will dry up one Rimer is gone.

I don't see how that move would have been successful. Torts can't tell players they are up and down like a toilet seat from an upstairs office as well as he can from the bench.

Last edited:

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've been out of the loop for a while, but can someone give me the skinny on who instigated the Jarmo firing? Did JD go to McConnell and recommend the change or did McConnell go to JD and tell him what he wanted done? Or some other scenario?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've been out of the loop for a while, but can someone give me the skinny on who instigated the Jarmo firing? Did JD go to McConnell and recommend the change or did McConnell go to JD and tell him what he wanted done? Or some other scenario?
Only thing we were told is that JD has had a back problem all year, and finally got it under control. Shortly after he returned to the day to day operations of the team, jarmo was let go.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

This is awesome. I connect with this personally as I have Stage 2 Chronic Renal Insufficiency due to childhood issues with my urinary tract. I effectively have one kidney and, while very healthy, know the future challenges I could face as well. I recently had a radical prostatectomy for Prostate cancer (cancer free) so I've been limited on here the last few months or so but I urge anyone to be an organ donor. I'm happy for AP. Such a good thing to see.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3