Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
1647722359819.jpeg

Last edited:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Forepaw said “Hosting an outdoor game in Cleveland would be an absolute blow to Columbus and the CBJ fanbase. Nothing against Cleveland; great sports town. And yes, an outdoor game in Cleveland on the shores of Lake Erie in the middle of winter would be a sight. But CBJ is a COLUMBUS team. And Columbus has a great potential venue.”
Dark and Stormy “Hell, do an OSU-UofM game beforehand and then do CBJ-Detroit (would be funny for the red vs blue in college being flipped by the NHL teams).
OSU is a bunch of morons coming up with excuses about "winterizing." They host football games in <30 degree weather and snow.”

CBJ is not playing in the shoe. This is known. And a game in Cleveland should not involve OSU.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Anything that grows the sport and the fan base is good. If that means a quintuple header at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course featuring the Jackets playing outdoors plus a UFC fight, a high school lacrosse game, a lumberjack competition, and a NASCAR truck race, I’d be for it.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Forepaw said “Hosting an outdoor game in Cleveland would be an absolute blow to Columbus and the CBJ fanbase. Nothing against Cleveland; great sports town. And yes, an outdoor game in Cleveland on the shores of Lake Erie in the middle of winter would be a sight. But CBJ is a COLUMBUS team. And Columbus has a great potential venue.”
Dark and Stormy “Hell, do an OSU-UofM game beforehand and then do CBJ-Detroit (would be funny for the red vs blue in college being flipped by the NHL teams).
OSU is a bunch of morons coming up with excuses about "winterizing." They host football games in <30 degree weather and snow.”

CBJ is not playing in the shoe. This is known. And a game in Cleveland should not involve OSU.
There’s a lot more in that Forepar post that makes it clear what DS was replying to. See where it says ‘expand’ in your screenshot?

Reactions: Viqsi

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
The outdoor game should not be in Cleveland. I'll go even further than I did in the last thread and say I'd prefer we not play an outdoor home game at all than play it in Cleveland. If they can't get the Shoe to work out, and Lower.com/Huntington Park/anywhere else in Cbus isn't big enough/not possible, then don't play one at all at "home" (e.g., Cleveland, Cincinnati).

ETA: I like the Cleveland-Columbus partnership/support with the Monsters and Clippers. I wouldn't even mind playing one regular season CBJ game per season in the Q (or whatever it's called now), ideally with the Cavs also playing one regular season game per season in NWA. But the outdoor spectacle should be in Columbus. Period.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The outdoor game should not be in Cleveland. I'll go even further than I did in the last thread and say I'd prefer we not play an outdoor home game at all than play it in Cleveland. If they can't get the Shoe to work out, and Lower.com/Huntington Park/anywhere else in Cbus isn't big enough/not possible, then don't play one at all at "home" (e.g., Cleveland, Cincinnati).

ETA: I like the Cleveland-Columbus partnership/support with the Monsters and Clippers. I wouldn't even mind playing one regular season CBJ game per season in the Q (or whatever it's called now), ideally with the Cavs also playing one regular season game per season in NWA. But the outdoor spectacle should be in Columbus. Period.

Agreed and allow me to reiterate my distaste for the notion of UM-OSU pre-game for CBJ at Shoe. I guess if that’s what it takes, or if the powers that be decide it’s make it more of a draw or an ‘event’ but CBJ as a standalone sports entity is something I’m on board with.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Agreed and allow me to reiterate my distaste for the notion of UM-OSU pre-game for CBJ at Shoe. I guess if that’s what it takes, or if the powers that be decide it’s make it more of a draw or an ‘event’ but CBJ as a standalone sports entity is something I’m on board with.

I agree. My order of preference is:

1) Only CBJ in Columbus (don't particularly care where), no OSU game
2) OSU then CBJ as part of a double-header in Cbus
3) No outdoor home game (would be fine playing in one as the road team)
4) Outdoor "home" game in Cleveland/Cincy (don't really care if OSU is involved or not at that point).

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I agree. My order of preference is:

1) Only CBJ in Columbus (don't particularly care where), no OSU game
2) OSU then CBJ as part of a double-header in Cbus
3) No outdoor home game (would be fine playing in one as the road team)
4) Outdoor "home" game in Cleveland/Cincy (don't really care if OSU is involved or not at that point).
15 years ago or so (whenever the Outdoor Classic started), I was very gung ho about getting one in Ohio Stadium or at least playing in one on the road. I thought the game was so cool on New Year's Day. Now it's ho hum to me. I've probably watched a grand total of 15 minutes combined of all Outdoor Classics in the last decade.

I don't care if we ever play in one home or away because it's really not that cool anymore. If we got a game in Ohio Stadium vs. Detroit or Pittsburgh, I'm fairly certain the visitors fans would dominate The Shoe and that would be a bad look. It would be even worse in Cleveland. I would probably go if I got free Suite tickets, but I wouldn't pay to go sit outside. I'm too old for that now, I'm 46.

Reactions: majormajor

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I like the idea of a Cavs/Jackets swap of a home game. Seems like it would be a good way for both teams to add market share. I'm not sure how it would work in principle though. Would season ticket holders of both teams be charged for the other game? If you didn't charge season ticket holders at all, could either team sell enough tickets to make it worth while? I don't know, but it's an interesting idea.

Reactions: LJ7

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I like the idea of a Cavs/Jackets swap of a home game. Seems like it would be a good way for both teams to add market share. I'm not sure how it would work in principle though. Would season ticket holders of both teams be charged for the other game? If you didn't charge season ticket holders at all, could either team sell enough tickets to make it worth while? I don't know, but it's an interesting idea.
No offense but basketball could never be played again and I wouldn’t miss it. I grew up playing hockey and basketball season runs at the same time. So no I would not give up a home game to have the Cavs play here.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wouldn’t mind having the jackets play a preseason game up there in Cleveland, but not a regular season one. The Cavs used to do this in Columbus too. It can be one of the last ones where it’s pretty much NHLer on NHLer rosters.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
four jerseys next year

I wonder if the reverse retro will be the same as last season?
I did find it interesting they said that but didn’t show them. They showed the other three. But not the reverse retro’s

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I believe I had read somewhere a couple of months ago that the reverse retro is returning but they will NOT be the same jerseys. As I understand it, they are being redesigned for everyone.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

Just charge STH for 40 games instead of 41. I'd assume there are enough fans of each respective team in each of the other cities (Cavs as the long-time established Ohio NBA team, CBJ as Ohio's only NHL team and the connection to the Monsters) that tickets would be fine/enough people would be excited to go watch a Big 4 sport not normally in their hometown without having to drive 2+ hours each way. I'd guess CBJ would probably sell more tickets/get more revenue on a Tuesday night against Ottawa in Cleveland than Columbus (assuming only one game in Cleveland per year). I'd guess Cavs would probably sell more tickets/get more revenue on a Wednesday night against Orlando in Columbus than Cleveland (assuming only one game in Columbus per year).

And I would do regular season because I think you're more likely to get a buzz/grow the fanbase/increase market share/hype in each city for a regular season game than preseason game. As I alluded above, I think you can do it on a weeknight, ideally against a non-marquee opponent. There are usually 3 or 4 4+ game homestands in a season that each last a week or more. Pick a bad weeknight game from one of the 3-4 long homestands. An example this year:

Sunday, February 27 against Pittsburgh
Tuesday, March 1 against New Jersey
Friday, March 4 against LA
Saturday, March 5 against Boston (Nash jersey retirement/Foligno return)
Monday, March 7 against Toronto

Listed attendance was 13,678 (75%) for the New Jersey game. I feel that could/would be topped in a Cleveland game that occurs only once per season. Team could head up there Monday, bus/fly back right after the game on Tuesday, day off Wednesday, practice Thursday, etc. Even if tickets sold would be slightly less than 13,678, it'd be a (very, very slight) short-term loss of revenue, with potential big long-term gain for the popularity of the team. The Pens have a decent chunk of the Cleveland NHL market share; this could/would help cut into that.

Last edited:
Reactions: koteka

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

The big announcement everyone

I have no issue with this. It's tasteful, revenue and a local company. I don't think they overhyped it and I think what they did was support something really was truly significant from a partnership. It was probably more to show safelight the CBJ commitment to them as it was to drive the fans wild with enthusiasm. Good job and good for the team. it won't be the last add on the jersey. Horse is out of the barn.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As for the outdoor game option... I know the NHL likes big crowds for these but I would absolutely love it if they played in Lowerdotcom field. Given what the Crew played in in February, it would be something if they could pull off a Crew game and CBJ game in the same stadium in the same weekend. Crew first, set up with rink and then CBJ on a Sunday night? With the added seats you could exceed that of Nationwide and other outdoor games have had attendance in the 22,000 range.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I for one want any outdoor game to be tied in with OSU for a show of unity (and also for the cross-marketing opportunities, which will motivate the bottom line types). I just have visions of the same venue on the same day featuring Script Ohio on ice followed by cannon shots after each goal. A statement of "yes, we're together, and this town is big enough for both of us, enjoy."

Reactions: CBJ goalie

puckfan64

May 4, 2007
C-bus
For quite a while, I was in the "OSU vs. Michigan, then CBJ vs. Detroit" camp when it came to discussing an outdoor game in The Shoe. Given recent events, I have changed my opinion:

OSU Women's Buckeyes in a National Championship rematch with Minnesota-Duluth, with the goal to set an all-time NCAA single-game attendance record for women's hockey while showcasing the program on a national stage

Then

The Class of 2000 Winter Classic, featuring CBJ vs. Minnesota

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Jeff Baur spent years shepherding complicated mixed-use developments in central city neighborhoods through what could be very lengthy approval processes. First with Borror Properties, then later with Connect Realty, Baur was involved in getting projects like The Castle and 303 South Front Street off the ground.

Now, Baur has started a new company that will focus on building housing in farther-flung locations. His partners in the endeavor – called JBM Development – are former Columbus Blue Jacket Brandon Dubinsky, and Dubinsky’s childhood friend from Alaska, Moises Gutierrez, who brings experience in the construction industry to the partnership.

The first project for the trio is a 288-unit apartment complex at the southeast corner of Lockbourne and Rathmell Roads in Obetz. Work is scheduled to start this summer on the development, which will feature a mix of one, two and three-bedroom units.

....looks to be right across the street from a high school. Good location

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For quite a while, I was in the "OSU vs. Michigan, then CBJ vs. Detroit" camp when it came to discussing an outdoor game in The Shoe. Given recent events, I have changed my opinion:

OSU Women's Buckeyes in a National Championship rematch with Minnesota-Duluth, with the goal to set an all-time NCAA single-game attendance record for women's hockey while showcasing the program on a national stage

Then

The Class of 2000 Winter Classic, featuring CBJ vs. Minnesota
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad