Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
So Pascal Vincent's name has come up as potential head coach for the Jets....if he goes, what does everyone think about CBJ trying to lure Jukka Jalonen?
Would he accept an assistant job?
I think it would be great to add a coach with Jalonen's resume. Especially since he has so much experience coaching International players.

Not sure if he's interested, but the timing might be especially good this year since he just won the Olympic and IIHF gold medals. I would assume he had already committed to coaching those last year at this time.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
So Pascal Vincent's name has come up as potential head coach for the Jets....if he goes, what does everyone think about CBJ trying to lure Jukka Jalonen?
Would he accept an assistant job?
It's an interesting thought. I know he has had his name floated around as a potential head coach in the NHL but it seems teams may be apprehensive due to him not having any NHL experience.

I wonder how seriously he would consider an assistant position (anywhere, not just here) or if he's content to wait it out as a HC in Europe.

I personally would love to snag him as an assistant.

Reactions: Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Each year The Athletic publishes readers survey results ranking the TV broadcast for each team. Disappointing, but maybe not surprising, were the Jackets ranking at 29. I’ve excerpted the write up and included below. Similar to the feedback,i like and respect Rimer but…….
I’m also including the Kracken summary, not because of my positive feelings for John Forslund, rather because of the comments regarding Alison Lukan whose analytics and podcast contributions I sorely miss.

29. Columbus Blue Jackets

The broadcast: Bally Sports Ohio carries Blue Jackets games, with Jeff Rimer on play-by-play and Jody Shelley doing color.

Local ranking: 28

National: 26

Last season: 29

The results: Rimer’s career is well-respected by Blue Jackets fans but the barrage of comments about his play-by-play work slipping as he gets older was overwhelming.

“He’s a legend, the only play-by-play guy in franchise history, but his calls have continued to slip each season,” said a Columbus fan. “Misidentifying players, exaggerating plays, missing key game action, and slow calls during fast moments have become common on broadcasts. He rarely has massive failures in his calls, but after 20+ years, his style has gotten a little grating as opposed to endearing.”

Some fans also complained that the production quality in terms of audio and sync hasn’t been as consistent since the Bally rebrand last year.

Shelley is a bright spot in the color position, drawing rave reviews for the work he does when he’s between the benches, but that alone can’t save this broadcast.

The bottom line: Columbus’ play-by-play call is one of the most poorly rated in the league, something that strong color commentary can’t save.

T-2. Seattle Kraken

The broadcast: ROOT Sports carries Kraken games, with John Forslund on play-by-play and J.T. Brown doing color.

Local ranking: 8

National: 2

Last season: n/a

The results: ROOT Sports showed it was serious about serving new Kraken fans, making a big splash by scooping up Forslund. As expected, the reviews were fantastic.

“John Forslund is exceptional and has made Kraken games a joy to watch, which is saying a lot given how bad the team has been,” said one Seattle fan. “He’s done a great job explaining the game to new fans while keeping existing hockey fans like myself engaged.”

Seattle’s sky-high ranking, tied for second in the league, is a lot more than just the Forslund effect though. Alison Lukan is viewed as a star for her studio work where she’s often shared analytics-based content in a digestible way. It’s a big edge in a world where a lack of insightful analysis taints many other broadcasts.

“More Alison Lukan!” exclaimed another Kraken fan. “Alison has been the shining star of the Root Sports NW broadcast team, brilliantly combining data-driven analytics with on-ice storytelling.”

Brown was also popular. Fans explained that he was able to draw experiences from his playing career without resorting to the cliches that many other former players fall victim to.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
How do the rights to undrafted players work? For example, the Hamilton Bulldogs have a 19 year old named Avery Hayes that I think might be worth taking a flyer on. Would he have to be drafted? Or could we invite him to the prospect camp?

Highlights:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
How do the rights to undrafted players work? For example, the Hamilton Bulldogs have a 19 year old named Avery Hayes that I think might be worth taking a flyer on. Would he have to be drafted? Or could we invite him to the prospect camp?

Highlights:

If he went undrafted the first time around then he could have been signed in the off-season, but at a certain date (I'm not sure if it's the same as the December RFA deadline or what) then the player re-enters the draft pool.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If he went undrafted the first time around then he could have been signed in the off-season, but at a certain date (I'm not sure if it's the same as the December RFA deadline or what) then the player re-enters the draft pool.
Yes, there is a window after the draft that opens to sign those that weren't drafted after first year eligibility has passed. That's how CBJ signed Jake Christensen I believe and there have been others. They could have signed Sokolov after development camp but chose not to, he went on to have a big Draft +1 year and I think was a 2nd round pick of Ottawa the year after.

I don't know the dates but I'm pretty certain it needs to be before the CHL league starts. I think the same is true for Euros but not positive.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Something was definitely odd with JD not being around for the biggest UFA signing in CBJ history. Portzline had this nugget in his Sunday gathering:

Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson and former Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock are among this year’s inductees into the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame. The banquet is being held Sunday, but Davidson is under the weather and unable to attend. Davidson, 69, became a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2009, winning the Foster Hewitt Award for excellence in broadcasting.

Hope Covid hasn’t struck him and he gets better soon.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

I very well could be misinterpreting this, but I think this means that our xGF should have been higher and our xGA higher too? In other words our offense wasn't carried by finishing exactly as hard as xG and actual GF suggested, and our defense was worse than our xGA showed and our goalies' goals saved above expected were worse than they should have actually been?

That's partially based on a reply in the thread by that guy but it does check out according to how I felt watching the team.

Also helps to explain the Hurricanes strange xGA numbers that made their goalies seem elite in goals saved above expected.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I very well could be misinterpreting this, but I think this means that our xGF should have been higher and our xGA higher too? In other words our offense wasn't carried by finishing exactly as hard as xG and actual GF suggested, and our defense was worse than our xGA showed and our goalies' goals saved above expected were worse than they should have actually been?

That's partially based on a reply in the thread by that guy but it does check out according to how I felt watching the team.

Also helps to explain the Hurricanes strange xGA numbers that made their goalies seem elite in goals saved above expected.

I couldn't tell, is this just looking at xG for the home team or is it also looking at xGA for the home team?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I couldn't tell, is this just looking at xG for the home team or is it also looking at xGA for the home team?
I'm not exactly sure but context clues in the replies led me to think it's xG + xGA.

Do you (or anyone else here) know what SVA stands for?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I believe score and venue adjusted?

Yeah you're right. I was searching "SVA xG" and found nothing but just searching "SVA" found the article I linked which explains the principles of it. Interesting stuff but it's beside the original point I was curious about.

I'm really led to believe our rink under-tracks chances. I need to find some independently tracked team data (if that even exists at a large enough sample) to really be sure but it tracks so well with what I thought watching the team vs looking at xG for the team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kadri is said to have eliminated all teams from his list he didn’t feel were championship contenders. Kadri might have picked up the phone but he wouldn’t have signed here

Reactions: DJA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad