Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
For quite a while, I was in the "OSU vs. Michigan, then CBJ vs. Detroit" camp when it came to discussing an outdoor game in The Shoe. Given recent events, I have changed my opinion:

OSU Women's Buckeyes in a National Championship rematch with Minnesota-Duluth, with the goal to set an all-time NCAA single-game attendance record for women's hockey while showcasing the program on a national stage

Then

The Class of 2000 Winter Classic, featuring CBJ vs. Minnesota
UnsustainaBowl II

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Nash will make his international management debut at the 2022 IIHF World Championship. He currently serves as the director of player development with the Columbus Blue Jackets, and previously spent two seasons (2019-21) as the team’s special assistant to the general manager. As a player, he represented Canada at the Olympic Winter Games in 2006, 2010 and 2014, winning gold in 2010 and 2014. He also wore the Maple Leaf at four IIHF World Championships, winning one gold medal (2007) and two silver (2005, 2008), and won a silver medal at the 2002 IIHF World Junior Championship. Professionally, he played in 1,060 NHL games over 15 seasons with the Blue Jackets, New York Rangers and Boston Bruins, amassing 805 career points (437 goals, 368 assists).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Eight years ago today Matty effing Calvert banged home a rebound in the second overtime period and the Jackets defeated the Penguins in Game 2 of their first round playoff series, earning the club their first ever playoff game win.
I was a freshman at college watching with my buddies. My god I’m getting old

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I keep reading that Bjorkstrand is in the running for winning “the Masters” (i.e. largest minus in +\-across the NHL).

Then I catch this from LJ7’s post yesterday in the Kent Johnson thread:

Also another qualifier is him [Johnson] being with Bjorkstrand helps pump those on ice shot share and xGF% numbers up. Bjorkstrand leads the team in on ice CF%, FF%, and xGF%. But again nice that KJ doesn't tank it.

Those two “stats” seem completely out of whack as to Bjorkstrand. I know that some feel +\- is antiquated stat, but CF% and FF% are tracking 5-on-5 (or at least even strength) play; as is +\-. I think all the stats have some relevance, in context, but the above would tell me Bjorky (and those on the ice with him) cannot bury the puck at even strength at generationally low levels!!!! But not sure that PDO supports that conclusion.

And the proverbial eye test tells me Bjorky has been ok, but not as great as expected.

So not sure what to think…I generallytend to think of Bjorky as a stalwart. But how do you get to -35 with best CF and FF? It’s not like his +\- is in line with others’ on CBJ…
Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I keep reading that Bjorkstrand is in the running for winning “the Masters” (i.e. largest minus in +\-across the NHL).

Then I catch this from LJ7’s post yesterday in the Kent Johnson thread:

Also another qualifier is him [Johnson] being with Bjorkstrand helps pump those on ice shot share and xGF% numbers up. Bjorkstrand leads the team in on ice CF%, FF%, and xGF%. But again nice that KJ doesn't tank it.

Those two “stats” seem completely out of whack as to Bjorkstrand. I know that some feel +\- is antiquated stat, but CF% and FF% are tracking 5-on-5 (or at least even strength) play; as is +\-. I think all the stats have some relevance, in context, but the above would tell me Bjorky (and those on the ice with him) cannot bury the puck at even strength at generationally low levels!!!! But not sure that PDO supports that conclusion.

And the proverbial eye test tells me Bjorky has been ok, but not as great as expected.

So not sure what to think…I generallytend to think of Bjorky as a stalwart. But how do you get to -35 with best CF and FF? It’s not like his +\- is in line with others’ on CBJ…
Asking for a friend.

Bjorky and his linemates are indeed having a bit of a finishing issue. It does seem obvious to the eye test, especially relative to his normally excellent finishing ability. He's been ripping pucks wide and is 5th in the league in posts hit. His 5v5 on ice shooting percentage is down to a career low of 7.18%.

Bjorky and linemates are on for a team leading 2.55 xGF / 60, and only get 2.21 actual goals per 60.

But you don't get a green jacket for that, it's the smaller part of the problem.

The bigger part is that he's on for a 2.58 xGA/60 and 3.37 actual goals against per 60. That's a huge difference. 2.58 xGA/60 is close to the lowest on the team and yet the actual goals against results are in the bad half. Goalies are only stopping 89.9% of shots with Bjorkstrand on the ice, which is by far a career low. There's nothing to suggest Bjorkstrand is responsible for that. Wingers generally have little to no influence on save percentage. And Bjorkstrand is still doing smart Bjorkstrand things when he doesn't have the puck - this is the Blue Jackets best takeaway player and he is only middle of the pack in giveaways.

------------------------------​

Another thing to consider with all this "Green Jacket" talk is that plus minus is not only random, it's just kind of a convoluted hideous stat. For instance it counts shorthanded goals for as a plus and SHG against as a minus, but not PP goals. So PP players tend to have worse +/- than PKers. Guys like Kuraly who close out games also get extra pluses from empty net goals and guys who play 6v5 like Laine get extra minuses.

If you actually just look at 5v5 +/-, Bjorkstrand is -20, Nyquist is -18, Sillinger is -23, and Chinakhov also somehow -23 in limited minutes. For the rookies, their minuses are a tiny bit more deserved, they both have bad xG%.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bjorky and his linemates are indeed having a bit of a finishing issue. It does seem obvious to the eye test, especially relative to his normally excellent finishing ability. He's been ripping pucks wide and is 5th in the league in posts hit. His 5v5 on ice shooting percentage is down to a career low of 7.18%.

Bjorky and linemates are on for a team leading 2.55 xGF / 60, and only get 2.21 actual goals per 60.

But you don't get a green jacket for that, it's the smaller part of the problem.

The bigger part is that he's on for a 2.58 xGA/60 and 3.37 actual goals against per 60. That's a huge difference. 2.58 xGA/60 is close to the lowest on the team and yet the actual goals against results are in the bad half. Goalies are only stopping 89.9% of shots with Bjorkstrand on the ice, which is by far a career low. There's nothing to suggest Bjorkstrand is responsible for that. Wingers generally have little to no influence on save percentage. And Bjorkstrand is still doing smart Bjorkstrand things when he doesn't have the puck - this is the Blue Jackets best takeaway player and he is only middle of the pack in giveaways.

Another thing to consider with all this "Green Jacket" talk is that plus minus is not only random, it's just kind of a convoluted hideous stat. For instance it counts shorthanded goals for as a plus and SHG against as a minus, but not PP goals. So PP players tend to have worse +/- than PKers. Guys like Kuraly who close out games also get extra pluses from empty net goals and guys who play 6v5 like Laine get extra minuses.

If you actually just look at 5v5 +/-, Bjorkstrand is -20, Nyquist is -18, Sillinger is -23, and Chinakhov also somehow -23 in limited minutes. For the rookies, their minuses are a tiny bit more deserved, they both have bad xG%.
Gave a “like” but have to add this is an excellent assessment.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

Agree with MoeB; great post. While I understand the weakness of the general +/- stat, trying to make that figure congruent with the CF and FF stats (and with eye test) was impossible without some additional stats. I know that you and some other posters have better access (or knowledge of where to look) to some of the advanced stat data, so not only great answer but thank you for sharing the info.

Limiting the analysis to only 5v5 gets Bjorkstrand to "only" -20 - and that figure is much more in line with some other CBJ players -- that explains a big piece of my confusion. The last I looked Bjorkstrand's +/- was -35, so that means he was -15 in other +/- measured situations (4v4, shorthanded goals for, power play goals against, 6x5 EN goals against). That -15 for those "other" situations, at first blush seems crazy too, but that may be more of an indictment of certain special teams play generally and of the fact that CBJ has had to pull the G because behind more often than not - and Bjorkstrand tends to be on the ice in those circumstances.

In other words, don't worry too much about Bjorkstrand!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree with MoeB; great post. While I understand the weakness of the general +/- stat, trying to make that figure congruent with the CF and FF stats (and with eye test) was impossible without some additional stats. I know that you and some other posters have better access (or knowledge of where to look) to some of the advanced stat data, so not only great answer but thank you for sharing the info.

Limiting the analysis to only 5v5 gets Bjorkstrand to "only" -20 - and that figure is much more in line with some other CBJ players -- that explains a big piece of my confusion. The last I looked Bjorkstrand's +/- was -35, so that means he was -15 in other +/- measured situations (4v4, shorthanded goals for, power play goals against, 6x5 EN goals against). That -15 for those "other" situations, at first blush seems crazy too, but that may be more of an indictment of certain special teams play generally and of the fact that CBJ has had to pull the G because behind more often than not - and Bjorkstrand tends to be on the ice in those circumstances.

In other words, don't worry too much about Bjorkstrand!
Don't worry about Bjorkstrand, that he's leading the club in xGF% is the best indicator that he'll get better results next year.

That and +/- needs to get shot out of a cannon to never return. Mo Seider is -19 with the goalie pulled, a +7 in other situations, and a -12 overall. Do you think this stat is fair to him at all?

Reactions: Xoggz22

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Don't worry about Bjorkstrand, that he's leading the club in xGF% is the best indicator that he'll get better results next year.

That and +/- needs to get shot out of a cannon to never return. Mo Seider is -19 with the goalie pulled, a +7 in other situations, and a -12 overall. Do you think this stat is fair to him at all?

Seider needs to be scoring more with the goalie pulled.

:naughty:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020

"That and +/- needs to get shot out of a cannon to never return."

Wordsmithing award of the week goes to majormajor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad