Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Nationwide Arena gets millions for upgrades, but official suggests 'major facelift' needed

“The Columbus City Council on Monday approved the distribution of $2.4 million in ticket tax proceeds for Nationwide Arena improvements that will go toward $13.1 million in work including locker room, elevator and lighting upgrades.

But Don Brown, executive director of the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority, which owns the facility, said the arena is going to need more work — and much more money — to stay competitive in luring sports, concerts and other events.”

The Columbus Dispatch

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Weird. In response to CharlotteJacket's post I just looked up Nationwide Arena's ownership situation and this was in the wikipedia entry in the ownership section (about the 2012 deal):

"In addition, the Ohio Department of Development agreed to a 10-year, $10 million loan to the FCCFA to assist with the facilities purchase. If the Blue Jackets meet annual roster payroll requirement, $500,000 of this loan per year will be forgiven."

What's the annual roster payroll requirement?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Weird. In response to CharlotteJacket's post I just looked up Nationwide Arena's ownership situation and this was in the wikipedia entry in the ownership section (about the 2012 deal):

"In addition, the Ohio Department of Development agreed to a 10-year, $10 million loan to the FCCFA to assist with the facilities purchase. If the Blue Jackets meet annual roster payroll requirement, $500,000 of this loan per year will be forgiven."

What's the annual roster payroll requirement?

Tree-FIddy.jpg

I have no idea but I bet is an easily achievable number that might even be below the salary cap floor by now.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I saw Scheig tweeted this:

Got kinda curious why he decided now was the time to touch his account, so I poked around a bit then found this :laugh:

Guess the 30 signature petition got to his desk :laugh:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

This is great stuff. I really wish I had something like this in my town when I was growing up. Obviously a rink would have been even better but I would have absolutely loved even a place to play street or roller hockey. I wanted to play hockey so bad as a kid:laugh:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

This is great stuff. I really wish I had something like this in my town when I was growing up. Obviously a rink would have been even better but I would have absolutely loved even a place to play street or roller hockey. I wanted to play hockey so bad as a kid:laugh:

There are a few roller rinks in town. Glad to see another is coming. I don’t know why roller hockey isn’t bigger in Columbus. I think more people play in Cincinnati.

There is the Thomas Knox rink, Sunny 95 Park rink, Tuttle Park rink, and Dodge Park rink. There is a rink at OSU, too.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
There are a few roller rinks in town. Glad to see another is coming. I don’t know why roller hockey isn’t bigger in Columbus. I think more people play in Cincinnati.

There is the Thomas Knox rink, Sunny 95 Park rink, Tuttle Park rink, and Dodge Park rink. There is a rink at OSU, too.

A roller rink in Whitehall will be used for everything BUT hockey.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I have the Bally Sports app on my FireTV. This means I don't have to have a cable login?

I will say the app always works on my phone but rarely works on either of our TVs. It's pretty damned frustrating.

The most frustrating aspect of that is how well the free option works :)

Reactions: Hello Johnny

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
It's like $2/game if you only use it for Jackets games (and, obviously, don't go to any games in person).
The point was adding $20 a month in addition to $65 or so for Hulu/YTTV and ESPN+, Paramount+, etc for sports, which is over $100 a month, which is more than I pay for cable.

Also, ESPN+ is $6/month and you get every single non-nationally televised out of market NHL game. Paying $20/month to watch only the CBJ seems like it would only appeal to serious sadomasochists.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The point was adding $20 a month in addition to $65 or so for Hulu/YTTV and ESPN+, Paramount+, etc for sports, which is over $100 a month, which is more than I pay for cable.

Also, ESPN+ is $6/month and you get every single non-nationally televised out of market NHL game. Paying $20/month to watch only the CBJ seems like it would only appeal to serious sadomasochists.

It's bad when I long for just getting an NHL.tv subscription

Ugh that service sucked

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And how much of that fee is going to the sports teams themselves? It is getting to the point that tv and online streaming deals are going to be so lucrative for sports teams that they don't need butts in seats anymore. If it is 20 bucks a month to only receive local market stuff, does that mean the CBJ, Reds, Crew, Guardians, and Cavaliers are splitting 1/2 of that fee while Sinclair pockets the rest in comparison to the 1.00 or so per subscriber that Sinclair gets paid for Directv to have access to the service?

I can only assume that once this launches they'll negotiate their way out of being affiliated with cable services completely to force people to pay it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As I look at the past decade, it seems like Sinclair was worse than FoxSportsOhio and Bally is worse than Sinclair.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
So Pascal Vincent's name has come up as potential head coach for the Jets....if he goes, what does everyone think about CBJ trying to lure Jukka Jalonen?
Would he accept an assistant job?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad