Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
But I'm sure the Jarmo inaction apologists will say that "all is well" and "stay the course" .

I will be the first to say I'm not an advanced stats guy. I don't even know what these numbers mean. I go by the eye test and my eyes probably see some of the same things I'm sure you're concerned with in your numbers.

My question when reading this debate with a few posters is the same every time in my head. Well ok then, what can be done?

In most of your posts you state the above, the metrics are bad and Jarmo has done nothing to improve the team. I can support your opinion on this. But the picture that is painted here, not just by you, is that we don't have many good assets to trade. So unless they trade future picks, which are important, or players that are deemed valuable what do you expect Jarmo to do right now to make this team better. Or are you taking addition by subtraction.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I will be the first to say I'm not an advanced stats guy. I don't even know what these numbers mean. I go by the eye test and my eyes probably see some of the same things I'm sure you're concerned with in your numbers.

My question when reading this debate with a few posters is the same every time in my head. Well ok then, what can be done?

In most of your posts you state the above, the metrics are bad and Jarmo has done nothing to improve the team. I can support your opinion on this. But the picture that is painted here, not just by you, is that we don't have many good assets to trade. So unless they trade future picks, which are important, or players that are deemed valuable what do you expect Jarmo to do right now to make this team better. Or are you taking addition by subtraction.

Just FYI....Corsi % =shots on goal for + shots blocked for + shots missed for/(shots on goal for + shots blocked for + shots missed for+shots on goal against+shots blocked against +shots missed against).

JJs and Savards numbers basically show that a whole lot more offensive activity is going against the CBJ rather than for the CBJ while they're on the ice. a 50% rating is just that-even offensive activity for or against.
The -11.7/60 means that 11.7 more shots of all types are going on against the Jackets than for them while this dman is on the ice. This stat is per 60 minutes 5 vs 5.

Werenski is at 58.3% and +21.5/60 minutes. That's outstanding.
Zach Werenski NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

I'd recommend reading up a little on the advanced stats and playing around with them and gaining a basic understanding. Players are being evaluated on these more and more, so it's important to know something about them if you seriously follow the game. I'm sure that you'll pick up on them pretty quickly if you give it a hour or two of time at some point. Here's a quick starter guide if you're interested:

SI.com's Fancy Stats primer: A guide by @samtpage

I like JJ. He came to the CBJ and embraced the trade. I think his attitude was a seminal moment in changing the culture. He's a good egg. Just not a very effective defenseman.

With respect to what Jarmo should do, I don't know if there's too much to do on the dman front this season. I'd think that hope in Hannikainen, Carlsson and Harrington improving a bit, along with better play from JJ and Savard is about all one can hope for. The CBJ are blessed with a great goaltender and a dynamic #1 defensive pairing, so it's not as if it's a completely grim picture. I admit to not knowing much about who's in the pipeline in terms of draft picks who are in juniors or in the minor league system. Ideally there's a realistic middle pairing dman or two in the mix, but I don't know. I do think that signing JJ to anything more than a one year stop gap deal would be a mistake-so that would be "addition by subtraction".

With respect to the forwards, Jarmo's going to have to make a trade or he's really rolling the dice. He may have to pay a premium for a #2C, but you have to do what you have to do. I think standing pat on offense is irresponsible given that the Jackets only have one forward line which has been consistent in their scoring. Our defense (all things considered) isn't near good enough to make up for a bottom power play and mediocre forward output.

If the CBJ are content with being a playoff bubble team for the next few years, then they probably don't have to do much to their roster. If they want to be a real contender, they're going to have to tweak the current roster.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just FYI....Corsi % =shots on goal for + shots blocked for + shots missed for/(shots on goal for + shots blocked for + shots missed for+shots on goal against+shots blocked against +shots missed against).

JJs and Savards numbers basically show that a whole lot more offensive activity is going against the CBJ rather than for the CBJ while they're on the ice. a 50% rating is just that-even offensive activity for or against.
The -11.7/60 means that 11.7 more shots of all types are going on against the Jackets than for them while this dman is on the ice. This stat is per 60 minutes 5 vs 5.

I'd recommend reading up a little on the advanced stats and playing around with them and gaining a basic understanding. Players are being evaluated on these more and more, so it's important to know something about them if you seriously follow the game. I'm sure that you'll pick up on them pretty quickly if you give it a hour or two of time at some point. Here's a quick starter guide if you're interested:

I like JJ. He came to the CBJ and embraced the trade. I think his attitude was a seminal moment in changing the culture. He's a good egg. Just not a very effective defenseman.

With respect to what Jarmo should do, I don't know if there's too much to do on the dman front this season. I'd think that hope in Hannikainen, Carlsson and Harrington improving a bit, along with better play from JJ and Savard is about all one can hope for. The CBJ are blessed with a great goaltender and a dynamic #1 defensive pairing, so it's not as if it's a completely grim picture. I admit to not knowing much about who's in the pipeline in terms of draft picks who are in juniors or in the minor league system. Ideally there's a realistic middle pairing dman or two in the mix, but I don't know. I do think that signing JJ to anything more than a one year stop gap deal would be a mistake-so that would be "addition by subtraction".

With respect to the forwards, Jarmo's going to have to make a trade or he's really rolling the dice. He may have to pay a premium for a #2C, but you have to do what you have to do. I think standing pat on offense is irresponsible given that the Jackets only have one forward line which has been consistent in their scoring. Our defense (all things considered) isn't near good enough to make up for a bottom power play and mediocre forward output.

If the CBJ are content with being a playoff bubble team for the next few years, then they probably don't have to do much to their roster. If they want to be a real contender, they're going to have to tweak the current roster.
Hannikainen is a winger.

But I think Jarmo is fine being a "bubble team" for another season or so. Once his core is solidified and he's more sure of what he has(Nuttivara is looking like the real deal, a full season of this PLD, Savard and Johnson have gone back to looking useless, Werenski repeating his play of last season) then he'll make a bigger move. But I don't expect any big moves until next season at the earliest.

They need depth, the bottom 6 has been questionable due to injury in the top 6 and the 4th line not finding any consistency and the entire line is basically just a revolving door of players in Cleveland.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hannikainen is a winger.

But I think Jarmo is fine being a "bubble team" for another season or so. Once his core is solidified and he's more sure of what he has(Nuttivara is looking like the real deal, a full season of this PLD, Savard and Johnson have gone back to looking useless, Werenski repeating his play of last season) then he'll make a bigger move. But I don't expect any big moves until next season at the earliest.

They need depth, the bottom 6 has been questionable due to injury and the 4th line not finding any consistency and the entire line is basically just a revolving door of players in Cleveland.

Multitasking miscue. LOL

Well if he's ok with that, he's being foolish.

This team had 108 points last season. That will likely be its peak. In two years (if they're still here), Bob, Z and Panarin will all be $8 million players. Dubinsky and Foligno aren't getting younger. Cam and Wennberg have some legitimate question marks surround ing them. Cam's season last year will likely be his high water mark and who knows about Wennberg.

The only players who can be counted on for improvement are Borkstrand, PLD and perhaps Milano (though I think he has a low ceiling). Also, the younger dmen.

I believe that last year, this year and next year are the peak years for this roster. Z and Jones may improve, but it will be marginally. Panarin is about as good as he's going to get. Anderson is probably producing as much as he will. Bob has probably had his best years.

The time is now. It's not 4 years from now. Sure, some of the players will be better, but most won't be. If Jarmo's laying in wait for the 202-21 or 2020-21 season for the big "push", he's whistling Dixie.

May hay while the sun shines. The future is always brighter. Ask any Browns (or Bengals) fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I almost agree with this assessment, except that I think the expected tweaks are to come via the kids growing up and other folks (like JJ) moving on.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

That's a good post. I think it's important to recognize that while important advanced stats are not the end-all be-all. As an example, Corsi and Fenwick track shot attempts neither track the quality of those shots nor have a way to track "high danger" opportunities. Recently the CBJ had several games with high shot counts and strong advanced stats BUT a lot of the shots were perimeter shots and thus low quality. PDO is a good way to determine "puck luck" BUT a goaltender like Bob, Price or Holton will usually have a higher save percentage and the other side of it, shooting percentage is affected by skill. I expect a Panarin, Matthews or Laine to have a higher shooting percentage than the average guy, thus if a team is highly skilled like Tampa this year and has a great goalie like Vasilevky they probably should have a high PDO. It isn't all luck.

As far as what Jarmo should do, I believe it depends on the FO's perspective. Do they see this as a team ready to challenge for a Cup? If so, they better trade some futures for some high skill down the middle. If they don't see this team as ready to challenge, then perhaps they should continue to build until they reach that point.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That's a good post. I think it's important to recognize that while important advanced stats are not the end-all be-all. As an example, Corsi and Fenwick track shot attempts neither track the quality of those shots nor have a way to track "high danger" opportunities. Recently the CBJ had several games with high shot counts and strong advanced stats BUT a lot of the shots were perimeter shots and thus low quality. PDO is a good way to determine "puck luck" BUT a goaltender like Bob, Price or Holton will usually have a higher save percentage and the other side of it, shooting percentage is affected by skill. I expect a Panarin, Matthews or Laine to have a higher shooting percentage than the average guy, thus if a team is highly skilled like Tampa this year and has a great goalie like Vasilevky they probably should have a high PDO. It isn't all luck.

As far as what Jarmo should do, I believe it depends on the FO's perspective. Do they see this as a team ready to challenge for a Cup? If so, they better trade some futures for some high skill down the middle. If they don't see this team as ready to challenge, then perhaps they should continue to build until they reach that point.

Lots of good stuff in here.

It is very important not to get myopic about the advanced stats. It's but one way of measuring a player's performance.

Good point on PDO as well. Bob has a career PDO of 101.6 while Curtis McIlhenny has a 99.3.

Last season Savard was 103.4 vs a career 101.1 and JJ was 102.0 vs career 99.9. The dynamic duos PDOs last season translates to roughly a 20-30 goal difference (positive) over their long term norms. They have, as they say, "regressed to the norm" this season. However, it's not fair to dismiss their play last season. It was good. To call it lucky is unfair and a lazy analysis. What PDO analysis of last year would have suggested is that it wasn't sustainable. Which in fact it proved to be.

The dangerous scoring chances are a stat which warrants attention. I don't have a source for this stat. If you have one, let me know.

For those unfamiliar with Corsi/Fenwick:

Corsis and Fenwicks are a "proxy" for possession. It is assumed that shot chances have a direct correlation with "time of possession". I think that this is a valid assumption-but it still is an assumption. Some day there probably will be a more direct measure of possession than there is now. But, the best players seem to have the best Corsis and Fenwicks, so I don't know if the next generation of possession metrics will add a whole lot more than the current, but they will no doubt be at least a somewhat more accurate appraisal of real possession time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Youngest team means just that. It doesn't mean that it's most likely to improve. Let's see some correlations from youngest teams of the past 20 years and what they accomplished over the next 5 years.

Dubinsky, Foligno, Savard, Atkinson, Calvert, Jenner, Wennberg, Bobrovski, Johnson, Murray and Pararin aren't going to improve. Many of these are declining right now.

Jones, Werenski, and Anderson may improve a slight bit.

Dalpe, Shroeder, Motte, Sedlack, Harrington and Hannikainen are borderline NHLers. Should any of them improve, it won't be relevant.

So the major improvement possibilities are: Bjorkstrand, PLD, Milano and Nutivaara. Maybe Korpisalo. At least one of these, maybe all 5 won't improve dramatically.

Pushing "youth" is a cover for a bubble playoff team which has collectively peaked.

It's good PR cover to an unsophisticated fan base.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

A good, meaningful stat. To be this young and been competitive is a real positive. The current game more and more favors youth, especially at the expense of aging players who either lack speed and skating ability or had it but are losing it. The game is simply faster. Just ask Savard and Jack.

From my own perspective as pseudo-GM for a day ----

I don't like the Foligno and Dubi contracts. And despite him being one of my all time fav Jackets, I would not resign JJ. I'd like to see Nick and Dubi regain some of their form to help us for the balance of the year to help us down the stretch and then to trade them in the off-season. Both will likely continue to be contracts of declining value. Jenner is up for renewal and I would offer him bottom 6 money, lower 3rd line/high 4th line

If I could bank on Carlsson - I'm not but many are - I'd trade Savard in the off-season. But that's would require another DMan in the pipeline.

You may think I don't like Cam's contract, but while I think the term is a bit long, the dollars are fair assuming he returns to form. I tend to believe he will if it does, the team can continue to benefit from the production and that production and avg . annual cap hit will be remain tradable if need be.

Bread is 26 and ideally we should find a way to extend him. Bob's tougher because of age. But his value to the team is huge. I'm not sure on that one.

I also think teams need to rethink their outlook on bridge deals, they are one reason teams find themselves with lengthy deals with remaining years for guys past their prime I'd be willing to accept some misses along the way on five year deals in lieu of bridge deals for younger guys.

Along these lines, the trading of 1st round picks are off limits unless it were to bring a game changer (Think Tavares, not Duchene).

Yes, teams will always need veteran leadership but it's available in the Seth Jones of the world. My focus has turned more than ever to youth and speed......Just my take and sure many will disagree, thinking I'm rebuilding the team when in fact I'm just trying to add speed (and skill).

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Youngest team means just that. It doesn't mean that it's most likely to improve. Let's see some correlations from youngest teams of the past 20 years and what they accomplished over the next 5 years.

Dubinsky, Foligno, Savard, Atkinson, Calvert, Jenner, Bobrovski, Johnson, Murray and Pararin aren't going to improve. Agree except I think Panarin will improve to the extent that he meshes better with teammates as they get better

Jones, Werenski, and Anderson may improve a slight bit. I think they all have more upside than you do.

Dalpe, Shroeder, Motte, Sedlack, Harrington and Hannikainen are borderline NHLers. Should any of them improve, it won't be relevant. Agree.

So the major improvement possibilities are: Bjorkstrand, PLD, Milano and Nutivaara. Maybe Korpisalo. At least one of these, maybe all 5 won't improve dramatically. Agree.

Pushing "youth" is a cover for a bubble playoff team which has collectively peaked. Except for the Bob Dylan teams that are forever young and never improve.

See above.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Dubinsky, Foligno, Savard, Atkinson, Calvert, Jenner, Wennberg, Bobrovski, Johnson, Murray and Pararin aren't going to improve. Many of these are declining right now.

Jones, Werenski, and Anderson may improve a slight bit.

Dalpe, Shroeder, Motte, Sedlack, Harrington and Hannikainen are borderline NHLers. Should any of them improve, it won't be relevant.

So the major improvement possibilities are: Bjorkstrand, PLD, Milano and Nutivaara. Maybe Korpisalo. At least one of these, maybe all 5 won't improve dramatically.

Pushing "youth" is a cover for a bubble playoff team which has collectively peaked.

Jenner, Murray and Wennberg definitely still have room for improvement. They all are around 250-300 gp at 24 or under and while they won't be making any major improvements, they all have time to improve their play.

Another season or two and I'd agree. But we don't even know what Wennberg's peak is yet. He's been battling an injury all season and had a slow finish to last season. He might have peaked, or he could have an entirely new level to reach.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see 23/24 year olds as reaching their peak. There's a reason most of the teams at the top of the league average 26/27 yo. They are at their prime as a whole, where as our best players are almost all under 24 or 25, Bobrovsky being the only exception.

This team still has long ways to go. Being the youngest team(also most likely means the least amount of games played collectively as team) means less experience and more mistakes throughout the season. Torts knew this was gonna happen, he was preaching it at the beginning of the season.

The team is young and they are going to make mistakes. The only way to get better is to put them through it. Some of them will get better, some of them won't. It's just how it is.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Blue Jackets' Brandon Dubinsky feels lucky to have his sight, will return to the game wearing a visor

Brandon Dubinsky is among the Blue Jackets’ toughest players. He’s also the team’s most stubborn member, a hardheaded veteran whose mind and worldview can rarely be changed.

So it’s no small concession the center says he will wear a visor attached to his helmet once he returns to action from a broken orbital bone sustained in a Dec. 12 fight. Dubinsky began the season as the last Blue Jacket and one of just 34 NHL players not to wear a shield.

But after having his vision blurred and plates inserted into his face to hold bones together, the 13-year NHL veteran realizes he must relent for the sake of safety. Dubinsky wore one Wednesday as he practiced with the team for the first time since the fight against Edmonton’s Zack Kassian.

“It’s probably going to stay,” Dubinsky said of the shield. “Doctor’s orders to put it on and I’ve got a couple of plates in my face now. I can’t risk another injury to the eye. It’s not something I am terribly happy about, but it’s the right thing for me to do.”

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ are 14-16 in games which have ended in regulation this season.

Goals differenial is 0 which is T17 in the NHL. 121 goals rank 19th in the NHL. 121 goals against ranks T11th.

Leading scorer Panarin's 36 points place him in a T42nd among all NHL scorers. Second leading CBJ scorer Jones' 28 points ranks T94th in the NHL.

The CBJ 53 points are T7th in the NHL.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Youngest team means just that. It doesn't mean that it's most likely to improve.

(snip)

Unlikely to improve at what? I'll grant you that many players have their offensive peaks at young ages. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.

I see two spectra that could be utilized in analyzing play:
1. Physical tools
2. Mental tools

I'll argue that for almost all players, that physical tools start to decline, whether due to injury or age, by their late 20s.

However, the players that last in the league also have the mental tools to adapt their games to overcome the decline in physical tools at least until a very severe injury happens. The mental game is also somewhat experience based - hence it should improve with age.

I think one of the biggest improvements over time for the CBJ has been a reduction in the number of idiots being drafted. McLean went for the shiny physical tool guys, Howson started going after more mental tools, and I think Jarmo has continued with Howson's trend.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
After a 9-4-0 start, the CBJ are 16-13-3.

Through the first 13 games the CBJ had a +11 goals differential (44-33). Since then, they have been outscored 91-78 (-13). Six of the CBJ 78 goals in that stretch have come in OT or SO. So they have scored 72 goals in regulation-an average of 2.25 per game. This pace is almost exactly the same as the Arizona Coyotes, who are last in the NHL in scoring, have scored on average in regulation all season.

This is not a short term issue. It's a structural problem. But, dammit, as Jarmo likes to say, there's just nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
After a 9-4-0 start, the CBJ are 16-13-3.

Through the first 13 games the CBJ had a +11 goals differential (44-33). Since then, they have been outscored 91-78 (-13). Six of the CBJ 78 goals in that stretch have come in OT or SO. So they have scored 72 goals in regulation-an average of 2.25 per game. This pace is almost exactly the same as the Arizona Coyotes, who are last in the NHL in scoring, have scored on average in regulation all season.

This is not a short term issue. It's a structural problem. But, dammit, as Jarmo likes to say, there's just nothing you can do about it.

Nothing to see here. It will all change once offensive powers Dubinsky and Atkinson return. Especially Dubinsky.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Nothing to see here. It will all change once offensive powers Dubinsky and Atkinson return. Especially Dubinsky.

Well, Dubi's gonna help big time, but it's Ryan Murray who really drives the offense of this team. His return will be the game changer for the CBJ.

Everybody knows that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"I don't know what to do, only that if I complain more and scream DO SOMETHING more, maybe that'll fix it."

Given the past record of this same team core, calling this a structural issue makes about as much sense as presuming that the 16-game win streak of last year was indicative of this team's newfound mega-elite status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad