Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Watching that pairing while I know Jones is supposed to be the #1, I can't tell who is the #1 and who is the #2. I guess since Jones ATOI is 24 minutes to Werenski's 23 minutes he is the #1, but watching them it's hard for me to tell.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Even though Jones still has some "hiccups" sometimes, I don't think its very close defensively.

And other than his actual release being quite a bit quicker/better, Werenski isn't much better than Jones offensively. His puck handling and wrist shot is not much better than Jones. And while I don't normally like to hype guys simply for size, the offensive abilities that Jones has, along with his speed and size/wingspan is unique.

Its interesting to me that people don't seem to relate how offensive Werenski/Jones/the D in general play, to how many good chances and odd man breaks other teams get. Or how many times "Vezina Bob" has to "win" games for the team.

Or with our D depth do we call Carlsson up and try Werenski at center? Better than Jojo.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Even though Jones still has some "hiccups" sometimes, I don't think its very close defensively.

And other than his actual release being quite a bit quicker/better, Werenski isn't much better than Jones offensively. His puck handling and wrist shot is not much better than Jones. And while I don't normally like to hype guys simply for size, the offensive abilities that Jones has, along with his speed and size/wingspan is unique.

Its interesting to me that people don't seem to relate how offensive Werenski/Jones/the D in general play, to how many good chances and odd man breaks other teams get. Or how many times "Vezina Bob" has to "win" games for the team.

Or with our D depth do we call Carlsson up and try Werenski at center? Better than Jojo.

As long as our D can contribute offensively and we can see more of what we saw last night from the offense I think the jackets will be alright. Jenner is more than capable of playing center, we just need some consistency from Wennberg.

I mentioned that awhile ago as a joke, but it's not needed right now.

But really, you're still bringing up Johansen, just let it die. We can all agree we're a better team for the trade, there's no need to bring it up every damn post.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Call me crazy but what if we split up Jones and Werenski. Johnson with Jones and Savard with Z.
I’m calling you crazy!

If the defensively responsible Savard and Johnson both returned your idea might make sense. I personally would pair one of Z or Jones with Murray upon his return.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Or explain to Werenski that he is a defenseman and his primary job on the ice is to defend, especially when the other team has the puck in the defensive zone.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Today's random fun fact:

As of right now per hockeydb, players drafted in 2015 in rounds 3 through 7 have played a grand total of 189 games in the NHL.

95 of those games - just over half - were from Markus Nutivaara.
(Then 64 from Denis Malgin, and a few handfuls here and there elsewhere.)

My interpretation -- the Blue Jackets are so BAD they are the only team to have to play a player from rounds 3-7 of the no good, terrible 2015 draft.

Fire Jarmo

Reactions: thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
...and the Jackets will be awarded a 3:00 PP to start the game Wed night because the call on Jenner was horse ****.
Most likely we will be awarded a Tim Pheel for this game.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If games were allowed to remain tied at the end of regulation, then the Jackets record would be 13-13-11---30% ties.

That is why overtime and shootouts exist.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Atkinson has scored 2 goals (both in the same game) in the 17 games since he signed his $41.125 million contract extension. He has 2 goals and 5 assists in those 17 games. That's a goal scoring rate of 9 goals per 82 games.

In his last 13 games he has no goals and 4 assists.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Today's random fun fact:

As of right now per hockeydb, players drafted in 2015 in rounds 3 through 7 have played a grand total of 189 games in the NHL.

95 of those games - just over half - were from Markus Nutivaara.
(Then 64 from Denis Malgin, and a few handfuls here and there elsewhere.)
He's 3 years older than most of the players chosen in the 7th round.

It's still rare that a 7th rounder becomes an NHL regular. Jarmo's Finnish connections came up big on this pick.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Savard's and Johnson's Corsi ratings are in plain scary territory.

Jack Johnson NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

Johnson is at 43.3% and -11.7/60.

David Savard NHL Advanced Statistics (All) | Hockey-Reference.com

Savard is at 42.5% and -11.3/60.

Last season was a mirage. Both had PDOs which were off-the-charts lucky.

Other than Z, Jones and Nutivaara, the CBJ defensive corps ranges from barely adequate to putrid.

The luck of the 8-1 OT & SO streak (8-3 after last night) is now gone. With the injuries, lack of scoring and center depth, lame power play, and number of weak defensemen, the Jackets will be very lucky to make the playoffs. I'm not even sure Bob at his best can carry this team to the playoffs.

Perhaps the return of the magnificent Murray will be the tonic which cures all the ailments.

But I'm sure the Jarmo inaction apologists will say that "all is well" and "stay the course" .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad