Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CBJ now rank 20th in the NHL in three categories. Goal For, Goals Against, and Goals Differential.

Current second place standing in the division is basically a stroke of luck and not sustainable based on their season long play. The 11-3 OT/SO record is the only reason that they're in second place.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
"I don't know what to do, only that if I complain more and scream DO SOMETHING more, maybe that'll fix it."

Given the past record of this same team core, calling this a structural issue makes about as much sense as presuming that the 16-game win streak of last year was indicative of this team's newfound mega-elite status.
Different team. Ask Seth Jones.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Different team. Ask Seth Jones.
Some people are in severe denial about the decline of Dubinsky, Jack Johnson and Foligno, the mediocrity of Alexander Wennberg and Boone Jenner, the poor play of Savard and Atkinson and the fact the Ryan Murray just ain't that much (in addition to the fact that he don't play 2 much).

They tend to idealize players because of the uniform they wear and management because of the address of their offices. Pointing out deficiencies in players, coaches or management can make them very irrational and angry.

So it goes.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think a better question is how teams have won a Cup without any offensive stars? Maybe the Devils?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
"I don't know what to do, only that if I complain more and scream DO SOMETHING more, maybe that'll fix it."

Given the past record of this same team core, calling this a structural issue makes about as much sense as presuming that the 16-game win streak of last year was indicative of this team's newfound mega-elite status.

So the only reason one might advocate for corrective action is because they're an irrational hater?

Some people are in severe denial about the decline of Dubinsky, Jack Johnson and Foligno, the mediocrity of Alexander Wennberg and Boone Jenner, the poor play of Savard and Atkinson and the fact the Ryan Murray just ain't that much (in addition to the fact that he don't play 2 much).

They tend to idealize players because of the uniform they wear and management because of the address of their offices. Pointing out deficiencies in players, coaches or management can make them very irrational and angry.

So it goes.

So the only reason one might have a differing opinion is because they're a fanboy/girl?

Yes, it's much easier to dismiss differing opinion that it is to accept that there are multiple ways to look at the same scenario. I have no doubt I've been accused of the same myself, and probably it's been true a time or two.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
So the only reason one might advocate for corrective action is because they're an irrational hater?

So the only reason one might have a differing opinion is because they're a fanboy/girl?

Yes, it's much easier to dismiss differing opinion that it is to accept that there are multiple ways to look at the same scenario. I have no doubt I've been accused of the same myself, and probably it's been true a time or two.

I'll hold to my assessment There is a strong tendency to wildly overvalue one's own players among fan bases. There are a few that do on this board. That's fine. There's room for debate on player quality/performance and there's nothing wrong with having affections for players and teams could be called looking at one's players/team through "rose colored glasses". If it weren't for passion about hockey and the CBJ, we wouldn't be on this message board. Nothing wrong with strong loyalties.

But, there are a few who get completely bent out of shape over any criticism of players or management. Yes, those are clearly irrational fanboys.

So, Dad, your attempt to play the "both sides are wrong and the truth is in the middle" game doesn't fit this one.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'll hold to my assessment There is a strong tendency to wildly overvalue one's own players among fan bases. There are a few that do on this board. That's fine. There's room for debate on player quality/performance.

But, there are a few who get completely bent out of shape over any criticism of players or management. Yes, those are clearly irrational fanboys.

So, Dad, your attempt to play the "both sides are wrong and the truth is in the middle" game doesn't fit this one.

Yes it does, because I say it does, and because anyone who disagrees with me does so only because they're irrational. That's just a lesson you'll need to learn, son.

shadowsonic1998

Dec 6, 2017
Saw that Heatherington got called up to Dallas. Stats have been pretty good since joining the Texas Stars.

Made me curious about what happened to Korpikoski. He now plays for Zurich in the Swiss league.
Lauri Korpikoski

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Something doesn't seem quite right with the chemistry of the team. Torts seems to almost be fearful of losing the room. The total seems to be less than the sum of its parts.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Something doesn't seem quite right with the chemistry of the team. Torts seems to almost be fearful of losing the room. The total seems to be less than the sum of its parts.

I Jarmo may be thinking the same thing. If he isn't, then he (Jarmo) might be the problem. Which, of course, can't be the case.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The CBJ are 14-16 in games which have ended in regulation this season.

Goals differenial is 0 which is T17 in the NHL. 121 goals rank 19th in the NHL. 121 goals against ranks T11th.

Leading scorer Panarin's 36 points place him in a T42nd among all NHL scorers. Second leading CBJ scorer Jones' 28 points ranks T94th in the NHL.

The CBJ 53 points are T7th in the NHL.
Finally an optimistic post from you. Thank you. I was getting worried you weren't a fan. Hopefully everyone else can now see that the CBJ is under performing beyond expectation and still in a position to make the playoffs and make some noise. You see, there is hope.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Youngest team means just that. It doesn't mean that it's most likely to improve. Let's see some correlations from youngest teams of the past 20 years and what they accomplished over the next 5 years.

Dubinsky, Foligno, Savard, Atkinson, Calvert, Jenner, Wennberg, Bobrovski, Johnson, Murray and Pararin aren't going to improve. Many of these are declining right now.

Jones, Werenski, and Anderson may improve a slight bit.

Dalpe, Shroeder, Motte, Sedlack, Harrington and Hannikainen are borderline NHLers. Should any of them improve, it won't be relevant.

So the major improvement possibilities are: Bjorkstrand, PLD, Milano and Nutivaara. Maybe Korpisalo. At least one of these, maybe all 5 won't improve dramatically.

Pushing "youth" is a cover for a bubble playoff team which has collectively peaked.

It's good PR cover to an unsophisticated fan base.
I'm not sure I see pushing youth as an excuse. This team simply hasn't performed top to bottom (aside from Jones in my opinion). Dalpe, Hannikainen and Schroeder are not NHL players and wouldn't be on the roster with Dubi and Atkinson back (and either Milano or Jokinen) Harrington wouldn't be playing if Murray could stay healthy (unfortunately always a huge if). Sedlak is a fine 4th line guy . The others in the body have primarily under performed - youth or not. I disagree that Werenski, Jones, Anderson and Wennberg have little to no room for growth. Just my opinion though. Panarin may "improve" but only as part of the team structure. His defense has shown growth and his offense a little less than expected - which the entire has struggled with all year.

I don't see youth as an excuse or as a cover. This team is under performing and had some injuries. Bottom line for me.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Since their 9-4 (beginning of season-11/2) start, the CBJ have won 9 games in regulation.

That's out of 33 games.

That's terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad