Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Breakdown of above link

Satellite
FS Ohio - Cavaliers
FS Cincinnati - Reds
Alt channel - Blue Jackets

Cable
Columbus

Main channel - Blue Jackets
Alt 1 - Reds
Alt 2 - Cavaliers

Flip the Blue Jackets and Reds in all other markets with the three-way conflict.

Only market to get the Blue Jackets but not the Reds is Cleveland, which has a standard Cavaliers/Blue Jackets conflict.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was listening to 97.1 earlier and Jody was interviewing Brad Shaw and Shaw made a few really good points.

First about Jones. Jody asked about his leadership and Shaw started talking about how some guys are leaders from 17-18 on and how other guys just kinda develop it and he said Jonesy is kind of both. He has almost thrust himself in that role by his play on the ice and that his word is going to carry more weight to his teammates than if Shaw or Torts try to tell a player something.

He talked about Jones for a good chunk and then Shelley asked about Murray and he said Murray came into camp with a chip on his shoulder and he came in with a much more aggressive mindset on the ice and the he and Nutti basically forced themselves back into the 2nd pairing. He also mentioned how huge of a hole there was when he was hurt, especially on the PK and how important he is as he's one of if not our best penalty killers.

He then went on to talk about how Jonesy can just eat minutes in any situation and that they aren't afraid to put Zach out on the ice for the PK, they just have to watch his TOI. He said he knows Zach can handle it, but when he has a guy like Jones who comes off the ice and doesn't even look phased so Shaw knows he can throw him back out on the ice whenever he needs to. He just has to play the numbers game to keep Z fresh.

Also talked about how important Cole is to the D. How he brought his style of play over from Pittsburgh and how he helped give Savy some confidence. They also knew each other from STL and that really helped him adjust right away.

Theres a lot im probably forgetting but I love hearing an interview like that from Shelley who knows exactly what kind of questions to ask to get a good answer from these guys.

Edit

Also I forgot he started talking about how your best players have to be your best players and how Panarin has shown what that really means. And then he went on to talk about how much skill the guys have out there and he put Wennberg in the same group as Panarin and Jones as the most skilled guys on the team.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
For those who have a subscription to the Athletic...
By the numbers: Which teams have the most star power going...

Basically, this is a quick-and-dirty evaluation of a team's "star power", as defined by Game Score - mostly because in the past that sort of thing has been pretty consistently necessary to get anywhere in the playoffs. It comes up, naturally, in the context of whether or not Vegas has a chance.

It's interesting to Jackets fans, tho, because.... well, here's the chart:

Screen-Shot-2018-04-04-at-11.35.54-AM.png

Yes, according to that metric, we're the #2 team in the league in star power behind Nashville, courtesy of being the only one with three Tier 1 stars. (Panarin, Bob, and Jones. Then Werenski in tier 3 and Atkinson in tier 4).

I did not expect that. :amazed: :scared:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
For those who have a subscription to the Athletic...
By the numbers: Which teams have the most star power going...

Basically, this is a quick-and-dirty evaluation of a team's "star power", as defined by Game Score - mostly because in the past that sort of thing has been pretty consistently necessary to get anywhere in the playoffs. It comes up, naturally, in the context of whether or not Vegas has a chance.

It's interesting to Jackets fans, tho, because.... well, here's the chart:

Screen-Shot-2018-04-04-at-11.35.54-AM.png

Yes, according to that metric, we're the #2 team in the league in star power behind Nashville, courtesy of being the only one with three Tier 1 stars. (Panarin, Bob, and Jones. Then Werenski in tier 3 and Atkinson in tier 4).

I did not expect that. :amazed: :scared:

hot damn

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
After languishing near the bottom of the league in goals for throughout much of the season, the CBJ finished 16th in goals scored.
Jackets are a hard team to figure out. They can go months and play cringe worthy, dysfunctional, unwatchable hockey (go back in the archives and read the GDT here on HF) and then all of a sudden, become a dynamic scoring machine and no one knows why. Adding Vanek? Even our PP is threatening now. The year to date PP % will never show it this season, but over the last 20 games, we've been near the top % wise.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Jackets are a hard team to figure out. They can go months and play cringe worthy, dysfunctional, unwatchable hockey (go back in the archives and read the GDT here on HF) and then all of a sudden, become a dynamic scoring machine and no one knows why..

What if the play never WAS "cringe worthy", "dysfunctional" or "unwatchable"? Maybe the GDT's (and the 'chicken little' posters) were the "cringe worthy" and "dysfunctional" ones.

Teams have hot and cold stretches each season. No, the team was not playing that great in the middle of the year, but a huge problem I have is that people seem to ignore or forget the 1st 30 games (more than 1/3) of the year when the team went 19-11. Dubinsky wasn't playing bad and neither was (most of) the team.

The main reason we became a "scoring machine" is because 1 of our 3 best offensive players finally healed up from an injury that had a big affect on him and another 1 simply "matured" in his 1st season.

Another thing conveniently left out (or given FULL credit to Bob) is that the team has been a "top 10" defensive team all year, while also having 2 of the most productive offensive defenseman in the entire league. Many of their points/goals were scored earlier in the year, and it had a negative effect on the perception of the offense (or team in general) and how "good" they were doing offensively.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Jackets are a hard team to figure out. They can go months and play cringe worthy, dysfunctional, unwatchable hockey (go back in the archives and read the GDT here on HF) and then all of a sudden, become a dynamic scoring machine and no one knows why. Adding Vanek? Even our PP is threatening now. The year to date PP % will never show it this season, but over the last 20 games, we've been near the top % wise.

I still think that’s normal when you have youngest team in the league. So easy to forget how young this team is. Eight of the CBJs top 13 point scorers are age 23 or younger: Dubois, Werenski, Jones, Milano, Bjorkstrand, Wennberg, Anderson, Nutivaara. The others are Jenner (24), Panarin(26), Atkinson(28), Calvert(28) and Foligno(30).

Bringing in the veterans at trade deadline helped this team a lot.

Reactions: Sore Loser and Monk
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
After languishing near the bottom of the league in goals for throughout much of the season, the CBJ finished 16th in goals scored.

PLD, Nutivaara and Milano improved, Panarin found chemistry with his line-mates, which helped Atkinson as well. The defense got better at moving the puck up the ice and creating better speed on zone entries. Adding a bit of skill in Vanek at the trade deadline, coupled with a higher face off win % by adding Letestu resulting in better puck possession all added up to better scoring.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hopefully Bob has a "market correction" in this year's playoffs. His playoff stock needs a rally.

I really, really hope he gets it done in this post season. He seems like a great guy and "playoff Bob" is a label he doesn't need to live with-at least with it's current meaning.

Mar 1, 2002
Brilliant article about Zach and Jones

Having each other's back: Dynamic pairing Seth Jones and...

A month ago, Jones sensed his partner struggling with the volume of information coming from Blue Jackets coaches and the tone in which it sometimes was being delivered. It had been a tough stretch for the gifted Werenski, 20, who’s played the majority of the season with an undisclosed upper-body injury.

Jones, 23, asked to meet with Tortorella in his office. It was the first time the defenseman had made such a request since arriving here in a Jan. 6, 2016, blockbuster trade with the Predators.
The Norris Trophy candidate was brief and direct.

“Jonesy sat down and said, 'I have him. He doesn't need a lot more information. He’s my partner and I want to help him.’ ” Tortorella told The Athletic. “It was such a great thing for me because I know the kid is going to be in good hands. As coaches, we over-coach them and give them too much information. Sometimes, we probably hurt the guys.”

Tortorella was impressed with the leadership Jones had exhibited in the five-minute meeting — yet another sign of his growing influence within the organization.

The coach acknowledged he had “leaned too much” on Werenski at a time the second-year player was altering his game to compensate for the injury and he admitted to getting “caught in between” in how to coach last year’s Calder Trophy finalist.

“So when I have a guy like Jonesy come in and say, 'I have my partner's back,' that's good enough for me,” Tortorella recalled. “I said, ‘I’m out.’ ”

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
“Jonesy sat down and said, 'I have him. He doesn't need a lot more information. He’s my partner and I want to help him.’ ” Tortorella told The Athletic. “It was such a great thing for me because I know the kid is going to be in good hands. As coaches, we over-coach them and give them too much information. Sometimes, we probably hurt the guys.”

The coach acknowledged he had “leaned too much” on Werenski at a time the second-year player was altering his game to compensate for the injury and he admitted to getting “caught in between” in how to coach last year’s Calder Trophy finalist.

Torts has a quality that almost zero other coaches have. That is to publicly admit in specifics where he has made mistakes. A very laudable quality. I can't help but think that this is a huge plus with the players he coaches.

Mar 1, 2002
2nd straight day The Athletic with a great piece, this one is the first extended interview I've seen about Panarin and how rough his upbringing was.

An incredible journey: Artemi Panarin's path from poverty to...

Panarin-at-2.jpg

“It was hard for him,” Georgi Belousov, a childhood friend of Panarin's, wrote in an email to The Athletic. “There were kids who had everything handed to them, while Artemi had to borrow things or just have his grandfather ask for help around town. You can't describe it. There are no words in Russian or English to describe how sad and humiliating it was for Artemi.

“But he was such a strong kid that he somehow always managed to deal with everything with the help of his grandparents. Others helped, too, but it was mostly him and his family. It was hard to look (at) sometimes.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->