Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieRed

Good job. Good work. Good goal next!
Jan 6, 2015
Milford Center, OH
DQzgX-OXUAI7MMS.jpg

Idk about you guys, but CBJ holiday parties seem like a hoot.

Hmmm...Cam with "Fragile" on his sweater???

Does look like a fun time...I wish I played on a hockey team and got to go to sweet Christmas parties!

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I'm going to posit the EdwardG Rule and you tell me what you think. Here it is: Do not give a low-to-moderate skilled guy over the age of 25 a long-term deal based on the production of one (to-date) fluke season. See Umberger, RJ and Foligno, Nick (also Dubinsky, Brandon). Let them walk.

Once a deal is handed out, you can't get that cap space back easily.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Looks like Dubinsky is on IR, hopefully Jenner will move over to the center spot while he's gone

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That job belonged to Boll or Dorsett.

To rekindle this a bit. No, It wasn't the smartest thing for Brassard to do at the time, especially because we had guys on the team to handle that type of situation. Its more about just him having the willingness to "show" he "cares" about his teammates. Very unfortunate it turned out like that along with most of Brassard's time with the CBJ.

Whose job was it last night?

Dubinsky, Foligno and Anderson don't need to be fighting guys like Kassian, Lucic, etc.

Its not "wasting" a roster spot.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
To rekindle this a bit. No, It wasn't the smartest thing for Brassard to do at the time, especially because we had guys on the team to handle that type of situation. Its more about just him having the willingness to "show" he "cares" about his teammates. Very unfortunate it turned out like that along with most of Brassard's time with the CBJ.

Whose job was it last night?

Dubinsky, Foligno and Anderson don't need to be fighting guys like Kassian, Lucic, etc.

Its not "wasting" a roster spot.

What are the other examples from this year where you think a roster spot would have been better filled by a Boll, Shelley, Prout?

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What are the other examples from this year where you think a roster spot would have been better filled by a Boll, Shelley, Prout?

The injury to Dubinsky is the most negative thing to happen to the CBJ this year. It could have literally been avoided by having Prout on the team. I'm not talking about an aged Boll or Jody Shelley at all. You can't argue that a younger Boll and Dorsett weren't a positive impact on the CBJ. We didn't lose games back then because we played too aggressive, the same way we didn't lose to PIT in the playoffs because of it. And I'm also not talking about dressing Prout 60 games a year/15 min a night. He seemed more than liked by him teammates and showed on "many" occasions the positive impact he could have on the team. Just having him around as the #7-8 guy and able to jump in when needed (25-30 games, 12 min/night, net front PK time) is worth the 1-2 mil a year. The CBJ also showed the willingness to go with 7D for a time. The single digit ice time and sheltered ice time Carlsson got for a bit would be perfect for Prout and perfect for the CBJ. You may not realize his importance when nothing "bad" happens when he is around, but you cant ignore that we have now lost our most important center for an extended time and just how much NOT having Prout around affected that.

You people can say that Prout has no negative/intimidation affect on the other team, but its not true. Not only by holding other teams accountable by a fight or able to protect our other players, but also allowing them to feel safe playing an aggressive style. Along with the idea that I guarantee you, guys KNOW that he is out there on the ice against them. Thats "impact" in itself. I know people also just wanna jump in and say how bad he is and that's why he's "no good" to the team or in the NHL, well the NHL disagrees with you. And all of the reasons I've listed above are why.

He's not Zack Werenski, and will never play that way. But he has a skillset that is still valuable in the NHL and WOULD BE valuable to the CBJ.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The injury to Dubinsky is the most negative thing to happen to the CBJ this year. It could have literally been avoided by having Prout on the team. I'm not talking about an aged Boll or Jody Shelley at all. You can't argue that a younger Boll and Dorsett weren't a positive impact on the CBJ. We didn't lose games back then because we played too aggressive, the same way we didn't lose to PIT in the playoffs because of it. And I'm also not talking about dressing Prout 60 games a year/15 min a night. He seemed more than liked by him teammates and showed on "many" occasions the positive impact he could have on the team. Just having him around as the #7-8 guy and able to jump in when needed (25-30 games, 12 min/night, net front PK time) is worth the 1-2 mil a year. The CBJ also showed the willingness to go with 7D for a time. The single digit ice time and sheltered ice time Carlsson got for a bit would be perfect for Prout and perfect for the CBJ. You may not realize his importance when nothing "bad" happens when he is around, but you cant ignore that we have now lost our most important center for an extended time and just how much NOT having Prout around affected that.

You people can say that Prout has no negative/intimidation affect on the other team, but its not true. Not only by holding other teams accountable by a fight or able to protect our other players, but also allowing them to feel safe playing an aggressive style. Along with the idea that I guarantee you, guys KNOW that he is out there on the ice against them. Thats "impact" in itself. I know people also just wanna jump in and say how bad he is and that's why he's "no good" to the team or in the NHL, well the NHL disagrees with you. And all of the reasons I've listed above are why.

He's not Zack Werenski, and will never play that way. But he has a skillset that is still valuable in the NHL and WOULD BE valuable to the CBJ.

I'm not one who thinks Prout is completely worthless, but to suggest that Dubinsky isn't going to get into scraps and possibly get hurt like he did is, well, fallacious reasoning to say the least.

Try again. On second thought, don't.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Yeah, I just don't buy it. You're assuming 2 huge things:

1. Prout would have even played in this game. You yourself said he wouldn't dress for every game.
2. His being on the bench/ice would have prevented Dubinsky from getting injured. He probably would have fought in the game, sure, but I still think exactly what happened would have happened.

Dalton Prout has played 4 games this season. How does that reflect the "NHL agreeing with you?"

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm not one who thinks Prout is completely worthless, but to suggest that Dubinsky isn't going to get into scraps and possibly get hurt like he did is, well, fallacious reasoning to say the least.

Try again. On second thought, don't.

If Bjorkstrand gets "ran" into the boards, or he feels the team needs some sort of boost down 2 in the 2nd, then yeah, I have no "problem" with Dubi dropping them, and him getting significantly hurt.

I'm suggesting that Dubinsky shouldn't feel the need to fight Zack Kassian, down 5 goals, in mid December, with 1:30 left in the game. I also disagree completely with people who think Dubi "wanted" that fight and also the idea that him and Kassian are in the same "weight class".

Kassian clearly went directly to the faceoff dot IMMEDIATELY to get shit started with Dubi.

Does he do that with Prout out there? And if so, does Dubi drop them with him if Prout is out there? Its clear to me what the answer is to both.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If Bjorkstrand gets "ran" into the boards, or he feels the team needs some sort of boost down 2 in the 2nd, then yeah, I have no "problem" with Dubi dropping them, and him getting significantly hurt.

I'm suggesting that Dubinsky shouldn't feel the need to fight Zack Kassian, down 5 goals, in mid December, with 1:30 left in the game. I also disagree completely with people who think Dubi "wanted" that fight and also the idea that him and Kassian are in the same "weight class".

Kassian clearly went directly to the faceoff dot IMMEDIATELY to get **** started with Dubi.

Does he do that with Prout out there? And if so, does Dubi drop them with him if Prout is out there? Its clear to me what the answer is to both.

If your answer to those 2 questions is yes, then we agree. But I know it's not. So I guess we'll just have to disagree. But the NHL is trending in a direction that conflicts directly with everything you're saying, like it or not.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, I just don't buy it. You're assuming 2 huge things:

1. Prout would have even played in this game. You yourself said he wouldn't dress for every game.
2. His being on the bench/ice would have prevented Dubinsky from getting injured. He probably would have fought in the game, sure, but I still think exactly what happened would have happened.

Dalton Prout has played 4 games this season. How does that reflect the "NHL agreeing with you?"

With the potential "issues" Lucic and Kassian alone could have with the team, he would have played. Or I would have played him.

This fight happened with 1:30 to go in a 5 goal game.

Why was Kassian out there? You think Kassian does exactly what he did if Prout is out there?

So what I'm doing is "assuming", but, "He probably would have fought in the game, sure, but I still think exactly what happened would have happened.".....is what exactly?

Prout is on a NHL roster for a reason.

If he was on the CBJ, he's on the ice with Kassian, for a faceoff with 1:30 to go in a 7-2 game. Kassian either wouldn't have started shit with Dubi, or Prout wouldn't have allowed it to "start". Period.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
They sure do. Hard to miss the guy who skates with lead in his pants and handles the puck like a grenade.

He's on a NHL roster, in the best hockey league for a reason.

What is the reason a professional hockey team would have him on their team?

Hint: Its not for his skating and puckhandling

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

"He's in the best hockey league in the world, and not because he's good at the things hockey players are usually good at"

Guy has played in 4 games this year and will be playing in Switzerland this time next year.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"He's in the best hockey league in the world, and not because he's good at the things hockey players are usually good at"

As much as people don't like it, hockey is still a contact sport....

Last edited by a moderator:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
With the potential "issues" Lucic and Kassian alone could have with the team, he would have played. Or I would have played him.

This fight happened with 1:30 to go in a 5 goal game.

Why was Kassian out there? You think Kassian does exactly what he did if Prout is out there?

So what I'm doing is "assuming", but, "He probably would have fought in the game, sure, but I still think exactly what happened would have happened.".....is what exactly?

Prout is on a NHL roster for a reason.

If he was on the CBJ, he's on the ice with Kassian, for a faceoff with 1:30 to go in a 7-2 game. Kassian either wouldn't have started **** with Dubi, or Prout wouldn't have allowed it to "start". Period.

If you're implying that I'm also assuming things about the hypothetical scenario you created, then yes, I did. We sort of have to do that with stuff that isn't real. But you also haven't yet refuted any of the actual facts people are presenting. You just keep definitively saying things that would or wouldn't happen in your own hypothetical. I remain unconvinced.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The only reason Dalton prout is still in the league is because but he's contractually obligated to. His cap hit isn't significant enough to waive, but he also doesn't belong in the lineup. New Jersey doesnt even play him.

This time next year Prout will either be in the minors or overseas.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Oh hell, I found you really want a goon, we can ask Jarmo to get back Tommy Sestito and take a real step back into Neanderthal hockey. :loony:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Oh hell, I found you really want a goon, we can ask Jarmo to get back Tommy Sestito and take a real step back into Neanderthal hockey. :loony:

I'd take Svitov back tho. He'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

Are you serious here? I mean really? We don’t have him on our team for a reason and that’s because we want to f***ing win games. Dalton Prout will not lead to wins. You said it yourself. He is not a good player, defensively or offensively. And he would not dress for games except maybe 5-10% of the season. It’d be tough for him to intimidate players from the press box wearing a suit. And the reason he wouldn’t be playing games is because he sucks. On our team, a team that wants to win, there is no room for a player that can’t add anything except his fists. I mean come on.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Travis Yost from TSN did an AMA today. Travis is TSN's resident hockey advanced stats guru. When asked if Werenski would get any Norris mention this year, he said he didn't think so, but that Jones-Werenski is one of the top three defensive pairings in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->