Prospect Info: In the System Part VI (Preds Prospect/Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Drew LeBlanc, Jack Conolly, Andy Miele and Ryan Duncan all won the award in the last 10 years and none of them were drafted.

yeah, NCAA hockey is kind of weird. It's far more common for "late bloomers" to emerge at age 20 or 21...2 or 3 years after they were drafted, and even then there may not be much NHL potential in those guys.

Miele was signed after a huge year at Miami Ohio, but realistically no one thought he would be more than a good AHLer, despite dominating the NCAA that year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Here's an article about him, Vecchione and Aston-Reese.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/3/10/13463788/nhl-prospects-top-free-agents-hockey-east-ecac-hockey-zach-aston-reese-mike-vecchione-tyler-kelleher

He's tiny. And by tiny I mean he'd make Arvidsson look like a giant.

There's a few NCAA UFA d-men I wouldn't mind taking a look at to fill out a thin stable. With SLU's Bayreuther apparently signing with Dallas, I also really like Josh Healey from Ohio State. He's an old school bruiser.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Kelleher is an intriguing prospect that was reportedly garnering some NHL interest. Will be interesting to see if he has a good spring and turns it into a deal with the Preds this summer.

I thought he was a leprechuan signed for St Patrick's Day. I look big compared to him.
He has some speed, but can't turn the corner in the AHL, based on one game. He also doubled back on the half wall and took a big hit from two Wild players. My guess is that he won't do that again.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
5'6", 154 pounds?

Sounds like a specimen.

I want to make a joke about giving doctors larger 'specimens' but if he can play and produce, good. I'm just hesitant about UNH players. I was born in NH, I watched UNH games for years and it was slow play. VERY slow play. If he's small and speedy awesome. But he played at UNH for 4 years. I'm not a fan of Coach Umile's system. I hope he plays well but I'm buffering my expectations.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I want to make a joke about giving doctors larger 'specimens' but if he can play and produce, good. I'm just hesitant about UNH players. I was born in NH, I watched UNH games for years and it was slow play. VERY slow play. If he's small and speedy awesome. But he played at UNH for 4 years. I'm not a fan of Coach Umile's system. I hope he plays well but I'm buffering my expectations.

Did you read my comment that is above yours?

He wasn't speedy enough to go around AHL players last night. The Iowa Wild is in 4th place behind the Admirals. They aren't a world beating team and Kelleher could not go around their players.

Based on a one game sample, I don't see this working out. Maybe he needs to play in Cincinnati if he can't do better than what I saw. I will wait another game or two (next home game is Sunday) to make a final judgement. I can't believe that he was a Hobey Baker candidate. I remember Tony Hrkac; he could play from day one.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Did not, my bad. Multitasking studying and taking care of my family.

But was it a desperate slow where there was no chance of him catching up or just a slow 1/2 slower?

Being a student with a family is hard to do, having done some of that myself.

Kelleher is faster than Ribeiro. If he works on his skating, he could be faster. He doesn't have much mass to push across the ice. I will be paying close attention to him at today's game against a fast skating Grand Rapids team.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Ads won 6-3 tonight against first place Grand Rapids. Kelleher sat out.

Richard had a break through game. Perfetto looked good and fast tonight. Ribs had the assists on goals 4 and 5. The third Ads goal by Richard would have never happened without the Bobby Orr like rush up the ice by O'Brien. Where did THAT come from?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Being a student with a family is hard to do, having done some of that myself.

Kelleher is faster than Ribeiro. If he works on his skating, he could be faster. He doesn't have much mass to push across the ice. I will be paying close attention to him at today's game against a fast skating Grand Rapids team.

I'd rather he have lots of skills and work on his skating. You can teach skating.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
The Ads won 6-3 tonight against first place Grand Rapids. Kelleher sat out.

Richard had a break through game. Perfetto looked good and fast tonight. Ribs had the assists on goals 4 and 5. The third Ads goal by Richard would have never happened without the Bobby Orr like rush up the ice by O'Brien. Where did THAT come from?

Richard with a Gordie Howe hat trick. Not the first guy you'd think would drop the gloves judging by his size, but looks like the mean streets of Trois-Rivieres, QC have taught him a thing or two about fighting

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008

Kelleher was outskated in a straight line by a Wild defenseman, who was a foot taller and had puck possession... he looks slower than molasses.

That was the one useful take-away from a 5 hour drive to watch a bunch of crap.

Richard moves a mile a minute, if/when he can finally slow his game down mentally, he'll be great. Right now, it seems like he thinks he "has" to do something immediately and 9 out of 10 times, it doesn't turn out.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Wade Murphy, who was a late pick in 2013 out of the BCHL, has signed an ATO with the Manchester Monarchs of the ECHL, which says to me that he must have done so with the Predators' blessing, since they technically own his rights until August and seem unlikely to sign him.

He was originally committed to UND, where he played for a year. He lost his ability to play there due to academic reasons and transferred to Arizona State, where he has played since.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Ads won 6-2 tonight at Manitoba. Kelleher sat out.

Ribs with 2 G and 2 A, Aberg 1 G and 1 A, Perfetto 2 G, giving him 3 goals and 2 assists in 9 games.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Ads won 3-1 tonight at Manitoba. Kelleher sat out.

Four fights in the game. Goals by Smith (13), Florek (10) and Gaudreau (23).

Ads in third place in their division, but right behind 1 and 2!

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
the QMJHL playoffs have started, and Gatineau (Trenin), Chicoutimi (Allard) and Shawinigan (Girard) all made it in.

Chicoutimi won their first game 4-3, but sadly Shawinigan and Gatineau lost 5-2 and 1-0. They all play their second game of the series today.

Individually, Girard is currently 1+1, Allard 0+4 and Trenin 0+0.

As for NCAA, BU (Harper & Fabbro) won their first game in 2 OT. Harper had two assists including the secondary assist on the OT winning goal. Harvard (Moy) beat Providence in a 3-0 game where Moy had 2 goals. Minnesota (Pitlick & Novak) will have their first game today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad