Prospect Info: In the System Part VI (Preds Prospect/Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
From THN today:

In the Pipeline

Anthony Richard, C (Nashville): So quick and so skilled, Richard has been near the top of the leaderboard in the Quebec League all season. The Val-d’Or sniper is currently on a seven-game point streak for the Foreurs and now has 72 points overall through 46 games.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Kamenev is out of All-Star weekend due to injury which is 1/31-2/1. Luckily there's only three games between now and February 11th, so hopefully he won't miss too much game action.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
A little "news" about two recent 7th round picks...not really news, but not widely reported.

2013 7th rounder Wade Murphy, a forward that was previously playing at North Dakota is sitting out this year. I've been puzzled as to why, but finally found an article stating that he transferred to Arizona State and has to sit out the season due to NCAA transfer rules, but has two years remaining of eligibility. Didn't have a very good freshman year at UND, and likely hoping to get more icetime in the fledgling Sun Devil program. Not likely an NHL prospect, but if he does well at ASU he could potentially get an ECHL or AHL deal out of it.

2015 7th rounder Evan Smith has bounced around quite a bit, starting the season as the backup for Victoria of the WHL. He was loaned to Sioux City of the USHL to get him playing time, and in December had his rights traded to the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL, who recalled him to be their backup. He's made 5 appearances and struggled...4.07 GAA and 87.6 save percentage.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
They asked him if being an unrestricted free agent is tempting, especially since so many 22 year olds never have that opportunity.

He said a lot of people have been asking him about that but he has a great relationship with the Predators. They've worked pretty extensively with him over the 4 years and they've been at a lot of his games giving a lot of feedback. Right now he's focusing on Harvard and once his season ends he'll sit back and see if the Predators are the right fit.

That was the only question about the Predators.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Admirals just killed off nearly two minutes of a 5 on 3 and immediately scored a goal right after. Now up 6-2. Goals for Oligny, Aberg, Arvidsson, Hodgson, Fiala and Pendenza.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Admirals just killed off nearly two minutes of a 5 on 3 and immediately scored a goal right after. Now up 6-2. Goals for Oligny, Aberg, Arvidsson, Hodgson, Fiala and Pendenza.

FYI, Hodgson was part of beating off that 5-on-3 too. Funny what happens when a guy is actually allowed to play. Of course it helps that the coach doesn't ice him with 4th line minutes and still expect he'll produce more than any other 4th liner, so maybe let him stay down there.

Score ended the 2nd period 6-3, btw, I think.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
FYI, Hodgson was part of beating off that 5-on-3 too. Funny what happens when a guy is actually allowed to play. Of course it helps that the coach doesn't ice him with 4th line minutes and still expect he'll produce more than any other 4th liner, so maybe let him stay down there.

Score ended the 2nd period 6-3, btw, I think.

OK, come on now... it also helps a lot that he's a marginal NHL player playing against AHL competition instead of NHL competition

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Admirals won 7-3 over Grand Rapids. It was a team effort, especially since the first period score was 1-0. It was perhaps the Admirals best game at home this season. I have to think that a lot of the crowd of 11K will come back.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
OK, come on now... it also helps a lot that he's a marginal NHL player playing against AHL competition instead of NHL competition

Oh fur sure! Well, except for the "marginal NHL player" part ;) But for sure, I'd expect any guy who has proven to be a top 6 producer in the NHL, such as Hodgson, to do well in the little league. My point was really two-fold, and non-specific in the scheme of things to Hodgson...

Point 1 being that a guy is gonna show what he can do if he's put in a position to show what he can do. Good or bad, productive or not, unless someone is put into a position to show what he's got, you're never gonna know what he's got.

Point 2 being that if a guy, any guy, is plugged into a pre-defined role, any role, don't be surprised if he plays to the role. We talk all the time about X player doing better with better players and getting the better ice time allotments. Well, the same commonly works in the reverse too.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Oh fur sure! Well, except for the "marginal NHL player" part ;) But for sure, I'd expect any guy who has proven to be a top 6 producer in the NHL, such as Hodgson, to do well in the little league. My point was really two-fold, and non-specific in the scheme of things to Hodgson...

Point 1 being that a guy is gonna show what he can do if he's put in a position to show what he can do. Good or bad, productive or not, unless someone is put into a position to show what he's got, you're never gonna know what he's got.

Point 2 being that if a guy, any guy, is plugged into a pre-defined role, any role, don't be surprised if he plays to the role. We talk all the time about X player doing better with better players and getting the better ice time allotments. Well, the same commonly works in the reverse too.

I called him "marginal NHL" because, um, well, he doesn't seem to, you know, be in the NHL and none of the other 29 teams felt he could fill a spot on their team when he was sent down. He may have BEEN an NHL top 6 winger at some point, but he isn't anymore

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I called him "marginal NHL" because, um, well, he doesn't seem to, you know, be in the NHL and none of the other 29 teams felt he could fill a spot on their team when he was sent down. He may have BEEN an NHL top 6 winger at some point, but he isn't anymore

Fair enough. Well, sorta, lol. I mean fair enough cuz like I'm pretty sure he's not presently in the NHL.

But you're sorta off a bit too, see Hodgson was NEVER a top 6 winger in the NHL (or the AHL, for that matter). He has been played as a top 6 center over most of 3 seasons and throughout that stretch produced what you'd expect of a top 6 center. For a very brief period (WHC 2014) he was played on the wing and lead Canada in production, but a] it was very brief and b] he actually a genuine top 6 center as his pivot.

Since then, however, and for two very different reasons, he's been played as a 4th/3rd line grinder (mostly without a quality playmaking center and for a long stretch without even a real center for a pivot) and produced what should be expected of any guy in that role. Thing of it is for Hodgson, the NHL is stock piled with bottom 6 wingers (ala Preds' Wilson, Smith, Jarnkrok, Nystrom, Salomaki, Watson, etc., etc.). I'd guess that for Hodgson to return to being relevant in the NHL he'd need to find a team with an opening for a 3C (where the line was honestly, not just pretending, to be rolled as part of a top 9 offense) or 2C. Shipped out of his natural spot and to wing, the kid at least needs a quality playmaking center to work with (ala the WHC).

All in, he's not much different than the vast majority of NHLers - to be relevant, he's gotta be played in a relevant role. Oh, gee, guess we could say the same for most AHLers too, lol.

Anyway, like Hodgson, Fiala and the other top 6 hopeful in Milk aren't exactly gonna be able to show what they can do at the NHL level if when they get here, they're only getting a sniff of an offensive role at ES and rare deployment on special teams before seeing ice time diminished until another demotion. It's with that mind that I wouldn't be in a rush to rush any of the kids up this year.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Hodgson does have NHL talent. He has been abused for a while. This situation is no different than Dubnyk who was not given a decent shot here. Hodgson was not given talented players on his lines for long enough to make a difference. Moved to wing where I knew the guy was going to fail

It is suprising to me that no one took a chance and picked him up. Hes not going to be a 50 to 65 point guy but he could manage 40 in the right situation. Jarnkrok, Wilson, Smith, Fish are all going to be luck to have 30 to 35 this year and those were the guys Hodgson played with for the most part with a lil ELC guys sprinkled in. Theres just no way to expect more from Cody we knew goin in he needed productive linemates.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hodgson does have NHL talent. He has been abused for a while. This situation is no different than Dubnyk who was not given a decent shot here. Hodgson was not given talented players on his lines for long enough to make a difference. Moved to wing where I knew the guy was going to fail

It is suprising to me that no one took a chance and picked him up. Hes not going to be a 50 to 65 point guy but he could manage 40 in the right situation. Jarnkrok, Wilson, Smith, Fish are all going to be luck to have 30 to 35 this year and those were the guys Hodgson played with for the most part with a lil ELC guys sprinkled in. Theres just no way to expect more from Cody we knew goin in he needed productive linemates.

That's not fair. Dubnyk had 2 games and failed miserably. Even Mitch Korn said he had never seen a goalie as bad as Dubnyk in several areas. For Korn to say that, that's saying something. Dubnyk got better because a few factors:
1) he got out of the Oilers system and away from their goalie coach. The Oilers ruined him both mentally and physically.
2) that offseason he finally took his career seriously and hired a goalie coach to train him properly. It paid off.
3) He started playing for a few teams that were competent on defense and didn't leave everything to him.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
That's not fair. Dubnyk had 2 games and failed miserably. Even Mitch Korn said he had never seen a goalie as bad as Dubnyk in several areas. For Korn to say that, that's saying something. Dubnyk got better because a few factors:
1) he got out of the Oilers system and away from their goalie coach. The Oilers ruined him both mentally and physically.
2) that offseason he finally took his career seriously and hired a goalie coach to train him properly. It paid off.
3) He started playing for a few teams that were competent on defense and didn't leave everything to him.

Exactly he was trashed in Edmonton. If 2 games is a fair amount of time to cut someone loose Why is Jarnkrok still here?

Dubnyk was a project Korn knew that. But the decision was made to bring him in. And further get in his head. Same can be said for Hodgson, he was a project who was never set up to succeed here. Can he recover like Dub did? I hope so but im not sure. I do know this Hodgson has more offensive ability than Hook, Wilson, Smith yet they remain.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Exactly he was trashed in Edmonton. If 2 games is a fair amount of time to cut someone loose Why is Jarnkrok still here?

Dubnyk was a project Korn knew that. But the decision was made to bring him in. And further get in his head. Same can be said for Hodgson, he was a project who was never set up to succeed here. Can he recover like Dub did? I hope so but im not sure. I do know this Hodgson has more offensive ability than Hook, Wilson, Smith yet they remain.

No. Dubnyk was brought in only because we were dumping the cap of Hendricks on Edmonton and that was the tradeoff. Edmonton needed to free up a roster spot.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

I know nuttin' about Dubnyk, but have noted that PL clearly has certain slots for certain players he knows well. With the exception of the new 1C, I can't think of anyone under PL who was brought in or up for a certain role, slotted into it and allowed half a real chance to show what he could do before PL decreased, decreased, decreased and eventually drummed out the ice time. Comparably, guys who PL is familiar with (ala Jarnkrok, Wilson, Smith, Nystrom, and Gaustad in particular) can seemingly do nothing to warrant a decreased role and in fact persistently get shots up when the top 6 goes cold.

Under PL I just don't expect any of the newbs to get a real shot to see what they can do, whether it's a newb ala new signing Hodgson or a newb as in prospects Fiala, Kem, etc. Instead, we'll see Jarnkrok playing above his grade, Nystrom magically turned into a 3rd liner, Gaustad seeing OT (and please, let's not really pretend his faceoff efforts are the deciding game factors, lol), and Smith & Wilson pushed to be more than they are.

And speaking of Wilson, btw, his situation is basically the prime example of my take on PL - Wilson has been gift-wrapped top 6 ice-time and been a lock for the 2nd PP unit but has what, 2 ES goals in nearly 40 regular season games (going back to March 2015) that WAS NOT an empty-netter and only 1 PP goal this season? Comparably, Hodgson averaged 8-10mins a game with barely a sniff of special teams, yet had 3 ES goals and was waived. Hodgson produce more with far less (and far more per minute of course) but gets waived while a kid who the coach is familiar with doesn't skip a beat no matter how long the drought.... Yeah, not seeing any of the prospects getting much of a real chance under PL to show what they've got.

Don't get me wrong either, I don't necessarily fault PL for sticking to what he knows and who he knows. It's just that when the team flounders for long enough doing same old, PL is apparently not the type to use the chance for a real change up. Things are fine right now, everyone's happy with a 4 game win streak, yadda, yadda. But I suspect that'll flip the other way soon enough and rather than shove Fiala (presuming he's recalled) up the line or ever trying to see if former 1st rounder Watson has at least as much in him as Jarnkrok or Smith, PL will just stick to same old. I don't think it's that PL doesn't have the players he needs to run an offensive styled game. I think he's afraid to change things up, take a risk, and so persistently reverts to his familiars.

Going back to Hodgson specifically, I do recall you prediction he'd fail at wing, lol. But I'm still not sold that it's the position (center vs wing), so much as the role and caliber of ice time.

As for needing productive line mates, yup. But then name me a guy who doesn't need productive line mates to be successful and bets we're talking about the true game changers. Most guys are in Hodgson's spot - need quality around him to be at his best. In Hodgson's case though, I think he's kinda worse off than most. I mean, I think he needs to be in an offensive role to be relevant because he's just not go enough of a heavy or speed game to stand out above the Nystroms, Jarnkroks, Smiths, etc. in the bottom 6.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Hodgson didn't do anything above average while he was here. He didn't produce offensively. He didn't contribute defensively in any way shape or form on a special level. He certainly wasn't physical. I can't recall how many times he had the chance to finish a check or go in to a corner and use his body only not to. He isn't a faceoff wiz. So tell me why he deserved any more ice time than he got? It wasn't PL who made that decision, it was PL watching Hodgson play and giving him the minutes he deserved from his efforts. As much as I hate Nystrom, you know the reason he made it to the third line? He hustles out there and tries to play the body. You know why Jarnkrok is out there all the time, because he hustles his butt off for the entire ice surface.

The love fest for Hodgson is ridiculous. If he were so valuable and wanted other teams would've picked him up off of waivers. He has obviously sustained an injury that he is either unable to work through or compromises his once above average skill set that made him a number 1 pick. Sometimes kids make it, sometimes they don't. More often than not it's on the player that they have failed. I watched him and would always want more from him as a player and obviously the coaches saw the same thing and that's why he's in Milwaukee.

If he were that great a player, he should be dominating the AHL, regardless of who his linemates are. Unfortunately, he's not tearing it up down there so that tells me all I need to know about him at this point.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Hodgson has weak shot, little creativity, and isn't a great skater. He is no longer a NHL player.

Salomaki has come up, played hard and has secured his spot for now, so PL does trust kids to come up, Jarnkrok and Forsberg also were rookiestill last season. PL is not the reason Hodgson didn't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad