In Defense of Chiarelli

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The trouble with this is it misses that Hall really worked well with Draisaitl and I don't see anybody, certainly not Lucic, doing that much with Drais game. Drai Hall worked so well because Hall could front run and Drai could hit him with stuff. Drai is going to be waiting for heavy ol Lucic to lumber up the ice. I don't see that working the same way.

Realistically we lost Hall and Drai production here in one deal. Hall was near perfect for Drai.

It's funny to hear this from you. You go to hell and back for Yakupov but you've already given up on Drai?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's funny to hear this from you. You go to hell and back for Yakupov but you've already given up on Drai?

I'm not "giving up" on Drai, Drai is dependent on breaking down D through puck and player movment. Hall, with his speed and passing ability (underrated) excelled at this and Hall was able to play a lot more cerebral game with Drai than people give Hall credit for. Most of the year that was the best duo on the ice for the Oilers. We've traded the key player on that line. Without him Drai cycles the puck with who?

Next, what do you think Drai thinks about a move like this other than its a clownshow? Guy busts his ass with Hall being the best duo on the club and then watches the team trade hall because, well, nobobody matters. reset. to perpetuity.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm not "giving up" on Drai, Drai is dependent on breaking down D through puck and player movment. Hall, with his speed and passing ability (underrated) excelled at this and Hall was able to play a lot more cerebral game with Drai than people give Hall credit for. Most of the year that was the best duo on the ice for the Oilers. We've traded the key player on that line. Without him Drai cycles the puck with who?

Next, what do you think Drai thinks about a move like this other than its a clownshow? Guy busts his ass with Hall being the best duo on the club and then watches the team trade hall because, well, nobobody matters. reset. to perpetuity.

I wonder what Drai thinks about the worst defense in the league and never exiting his zone? Doesn't matter who he's got for a winger if the D can't get the puck out properly.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
We could easily get worse with Larsson. Hall was the second best player on the Oilers after McDavid.

I was fine losing value, but this was horrific. The fact that another GM said he would've offered more is just more proof.

more value, what does this value consist of? prospects/picks/mediocre dman

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You know what will help Drai and everyone's game? Being able to break out of the D zone.

Its a myth that we didn't. The Oilers score a higher proportion of goals off the rush then most teams do. its trying to sustain puck possession and pressure that is a problem for this club. Trading Hall, who along with Drai executed some of the best cycle work this team saw last season is hardly a way to address that.

Larsson isn't even legitimately a PMD. I'm not sure what he is great at exactly.

Last time we were having this discussion with how much Chia improved the D with an acquisition it was Sekera. At least we got him without pain. Not a great player but has probably shown more than Larsson has.

You know I doubt theres 5 comments here all year before this deal saying, hey, lets get that Larsson kid.

But oh well, Chia likes him.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its a myth that we didn't. The Oilers score a higher proportion of goals off the rush then most teams do. its trying to sustain puck possession and pressure that is a problem for this club. Trading Hall, who along with Drai executed some of the best cycle work this team saw last season is hardly a way to address that.

Larsson isn't even legitimately a PMD. I'm not sure what he is great at exactly.

Last time we were having this discussion with how much Chia improved the D with an acquisition it was Sekera. At least we got him without pain. Not a great player but has probably shown more than Larsson has.

You know I doubt theres 5 comments here all year before this deal saying, hey, lets get that Larsson kid.

What? The Oilers very rarely score off the rush. More often than not it's about a minute of cycling before someone decides to actually shoot the puck.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What? The Oilers very rarely score off the rush. More often than not it's about a minute of cycling before someone decides to actually shoot the puck.

Oilers rarely scored off the rush because they rarely got the oppurtunity to even get a good rush going. When they did though, you could tell they had the talent to put away chances on the rush. It's just that we barely can get the puck off the oppositions stick while they cycle in our zone. And when we do, we don't get a quick or accurate enough pass to send us rushing.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I hate this because I liked Hall a lot, more than what his value was as a player.

But a trade like this had to happen. We simply could not stay the course any longer.

To all the trade-proposal lovers who think trades are simply about adding up each side and getting "fair value" - welcome to the real world. Supply and demand matters. The need for a team to make a trade matters. Maybe you're mad because you thought the valuations you read in these forums actually had meaning - well, you were wrong.

To those that cheered for the team to finish lower in the standings, year after year, because we "aren't making the playoffs anyway" - this is the result. This is what trading from a position of weakness looks like. We need something and have to take what's available even if it's "unfair". Everyone knows we are desperate. We are the ones that had to make a trade, not them.

The fact is, failing to improve our defense would have been the most unacceptable result of this offseason. Less acceptable than making an unfair trade to do so.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The Oilers generate scoring chances and goals off the rush. They have the entire time Hall has been here. Not sure what you've been watching.

This team has trouble maintaining and respecting possession play. The team is perhaps overly reliant on goals off the rush.

We've just traded arguably the most offensively confident player on the team. Good work oilers..:sarcasm:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
The trouble with this is it misses that Hall really worked well with Draisaitl and I don't see anybody, certainly not Lucic, doing that much with Drais game. Drai Hall worked so well because Hall could front run and Drai could hit him with stuff. Drai is going to be waiting for heavy ol Lucic to lumber up the ice. I don't see that working the same way.

Realistically we lost Hall and Drai production here in one deal. Hall was near perfect for Drai.

Second half of the season they both sucked. Hall the veteran I expect a whole lot more from.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers generate scoring chances and goals off the rush. They have the entire time Hall has been here. Not sure what you've been watching.

This team has trouble maintaining and respecting possession play. The team is overly reliant on goals off the rush.

But other than Eberle they don't have any guys who can score on a single shot. They always had to dig deep or set up the perfect play.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Second half of the season they both sucked. Hall the veteran I expect a whole lot more from.

Well you don't have to expect anything from him now, you got your wish.

I daresay trading a player because he had some off games at end of year where nothing mattered is odd rationale for you to justify this.

Fact. Taylor Hall has been the best player on this team his whole time here and even this season considering McDavid missed 35games.

Guess it wasn't enough, trade his ass.:sarcasm:

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well you don't have to expect anything from him now, you got your wish.

I daresay trading a player because he had some off games at end of year where nothing mattered is odd rationale for you to justify this.

Fact. Taylor Hall has been the best player on this team his whole time here and even this season considering McDavid missed 35games.

Guess it wasn't enough, trade his ass.:sarcasm:

Considering where the Oilers finished this year with a full year of Taylor Hall... That's not a great indictment of him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hate this because I liked Hall a lot, more than what his value was as a player.

But a trade like this had to happen. We simply could not stay the course any longer.

To all the trade-proposal lovers who think trades are simply about adding up each side and getting "fair value" - welcome to the real world. Supply and demand matters. The need for a team to make a trade matters. Maybe you're mad because you thought the valuations you read in these forums actually had meaning - well, you were wrong.

To those that cheered for the team to finish lower in the standings, year after year, because we "aren't making the playoffs anyway" - this is the result. This is what trading from a position of weakness looks like. We need something and have to take what's available even if it's "unfair". Everyone knows we are desperate. We are the ones that had to make a trade, not them.

The fact is, failing to improve our defense would have been the most unacceptable result of this offseason. Less acceptable than making an unfair trade to do so.

Hall is among a handful of likeable, marketable players on this team. He's the 2nd best player on the team and nobody else even close.

We get to continue with guys like RNH, Yak, Poo, that have shown very little, and Eberle, with a limited one sided game, but Hall, the best of all of them gets punted. Because he had value.

As fans we're stuck with the lesserlights. RNH doesn't get traded because he's not good enough to get traded. Ditto Yak. Not much justice in the world. :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Considering where the Oilers finished this year with a full year of Taylor Hall... That's not a great indictment of him.

You're right that Hall consistently leading the club in points every and being its best player every year is not a great indictment of him..;)

How hilarious that this org parlayed PMD like Gilbert (45pt season) for N Schultz, gave Petry away for a bag of pucks, failed to develop Schultz, gave him away, now we need a PMD and give Hall away for one.

This is comedy channel stuff. you can't make it up. It would only be funnier if Larsson was one of the D they had discarded. he may as well be.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're right that Hall consistently leading the club in points every and being its best player every year is not a great indictment of him..;)

How hilarious that this org parlayed PMD like Gilbert (45pt season) for N Schultz, gave Petry away for a bag of pucks, failed to develop Schultz, gave him away, now we need a PMD and give Hall away for one.

This is comedy channel stuff. you can't make it up. It would only be funnier if Larsson was one of the D they had discarded. he may as well be.

Hall was a great player but he never dragged the Oilers out of the basement. I was really hoping he would do what Tavares did for the Isles or Perry did for the Ducks about 4-5 years ago. I think he could've but he completely went to sleep when McDavid returned.

DustinPenner

Mar 22, 2016

omg come on. u have to give up something to get a young def with nr1 upside on a good contract. Drai knew that as the other players 2. edm was worst in defense over a lot of years. if u expected a hall for faulk trade u should play nhl 16. it sucks to lose him but im sure it was the only possibility to get a rhd with that upside back

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Hall was a great player but he never dragged the Oilers out of the basement. I was really hoping he would do what Tavares did for the Isles or Perry did for the Ducks about 4-5 years ago. I think he could've but he completely went to sleep when McDavid returned.

Last I looked hockey was a team sport. No one player carries the team to the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will say the one thing that did bother the hell out of me this season was that Hall went AWOL when McDavid came back.

Like I don't know if he wasn't able to deal with not being the "go to" guy anymore or what, but he was bad after that All-Star break.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
CmLTQmhWMAMPTOa.jpg

Looks like Chia needs a copy for pointers.

Planisphaerium

Jan 27, 2011
I will say the one thing that did bother the hell out of me this season was that Hall went AWOL when McDavid came back.

Like I don't know if he wasn't able to deal with not being the "go to" guy anymore or what, but he was bad after that All-Star break.

I personally dont think he can handle not being ''the guy''

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
I hate having moved Hall. I believe he's shown guts and drive while here, and has been committed to winning, albeit somewhat immature and mercurial at times. You know, like teenagers/early 20ers are inclined to be. lol

Larsson isn't enough. Simply isn't. And I fail to see how the market can dictate that this is the best that can be done. Things might have shifted later in the summer, had Chia had the 'nads to hold out 'til then to check it out.

But I'll be reserving judgment until the roster is set for October. There's lots more work that can still be done.

But I know one thing: I wouldnt' have been a fan of same old, same old. Let's not underestimate the defensive improvement that Larsson will bring, and the first pass he apparently possesses despite not being an "offensive defenseman".

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

While I agree that Hall was a good match for Draisaitl, if he was that dependent on Hall then he should have been traded away. I personally think Drai will be fine figuring it out without Hall once he gets his consistency in order.

As for a Hall replacement for Draisaitl I think that could easily be Pool Party in the future. He has a lot of the same attributes that Hall does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad