In Defense of Chiarelli

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
So in your opinion Larsson is a top RHD?

Oh, you mean the position he just filled excellently, becoming part of one of the best defensive duos in the league, while getting glowing reviews from fans, his coach, and the media? Yeah, I'd say so.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Wasn't Larsson playing that exact role in NJ? I am not thrilled with the cost but Larsson is exactly what we needed to target.

Am I off about this? The limited number of NJD games I caught showed me Larsson was doing the heavy lifting with Andy Greene. If I am wrong someone clear that up for me.

No you are correct.

Hes a #2 RHD with #1 potential. Big D seem to take longer to develop.

Look at how long people crapped on Hedman for.

I'll be patient with Larsson but I hope he understands the environment hes coming to

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I would agree.............if we add those other players on Friday.......if not........all those Lowe and MacT haters better come out and include Chiarelli on the list of least desired GMs' in Oiler history.

Thanks for that.

It stings to lose a player like Hall. We lost the trade. I get it, it is maddening. But we had to do something. As a fan sitting in Rexall watching the Oilers fumble around their own zone it was so obvious that having a Hall was almost a waste at one point, before McDavid, because no one could get him the puck. It was embarrassing.

If you really look at it, why is our offense (at EV, agreed the PP is another matter) so poor when we have all these stud offensive guys? No one to a) prevent them from wasting most of their shift in the d-zone and b) no one to make a slick outlet pass. Anyone who watches the team can in no way dispute that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was always high on Larsson

But it stings to know we barely missed on on RNH for Jones and ended up trading Hall for Larsson

are we really going to judge this Larsson trade based on fan and pundit fantasies?

I doubt there was every an RNH trade like that.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The biggest defence of Chia is that these moves make our team BETTER. I truly beleive this.

Lucic can bring about 80% of Halls offense. But brings grit, intimidation, fighting, hitting, better cycling, and a better compliment to McDavid. So how I see it very SLIGHT downgrade from Hall to Lucic.

Larsson automatically becomes are best 1st pass defencemen and probably our most solid shut down defenceman. BOTH are qualities we haven't had. Larsson becomes a 30 point defencemen on this team automatically with our forwards and has the potential to be a true #1 D. HUGE upgrade because we had NOTHING on the Right Side last year.

Puljujarvi steps in next year on RW. A top 3 talent probably on the same level as Hall but with a higher upside is ready to play right away and contribute. Wouldn't be surprised to see Puljujarvi be the better player than Hall and sooner rather than later.

Player for player it was just awful, but if Chiarelli can add more (IE Lucic more defense which I think he will), it'll def soften the blow of losing Hall. The thing is we all knew Hall would net the most and if this is what he could get, just imagine what Ebs or RNH would get us? :(

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/748319505181339648

"The ask from MTL for Subban was astronomical to Oil. Draisaitl, #4, Klefbom or Nurse and more."

Feel how you want, but you NEED a top pairing right D, and Hall was simply the price for it. Here are two scenarios, which one leaves us better off?

Out:
Drat
Klefbom
Pulju
++

In:
Subban

OR

Out:
Hall

In:
Larsson

Chiarelli got fleeced, but he knew he wasn't going to get equal value back no matter what top D he brought in. The fact of the matter is, gutting out forward depth and sending back a Lindros type package to get a true #1 would have created just as many holes as it patched.

I don't know if Larsson is going to pan out, but in the 2016 offseason, he was the best man available at an attainable price.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Good post.

This is Chiarelli's first big move and it certainly has both positives and negatives.

If Chiarelli manages to get a Lucic or Eriksson there is no doubt that this is a good move. A good solid team move.

In his interview he outlines exactly why this is such an important move and I agree 100% with his assessment.

A move for a minute munching defenseman was a must.

Hall was my favorite Oiler but I can easily see why he was traded and who he was traded for.

Larson is a very cost effective defenseman that is a top 3 defender currently and still has a bit more upside.

One of my biggest concerns was that Chiarelli would not consider the cap implications and spend too much. It looks like he is doing well with this move.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/748319505181339648

"The ask from MTL for Subban was astronomical to Oil. Draisaitl, #4, Klefbom or Nurse and more."

Feel how you want, but you NEED a top pairing right D, and Hall was simply the price for it. Here are two scenarios, which one leaves us better off?

Out:
Drat
Klefbom
Pulju
++

In:
Subban

OR

Out:
Hall

In:
Larsson

Chiarelli got fleeced, but he knew he wasn't going to get equal value back no matter what top D he brought in. The fact of the matter is, gutting out forward depth and sending back a Lindros type package to get a true #1 would have created just as many holes as it patched.

I don't know if Larsson is going to pan out, but in the 2016 offseason, he was the best man available at an attainable price.

Well said indeed.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Hall tilts the ice every time he is out there. D-man or not, he could do it alone. Hall is an all-star.

When you trade an all star expect to get one in return; Chia got us the next Tom Poti. Fire Chia before he trades McDavid for pieces.

then why didnt he carry us to the playoffs all alone?

he's a great player but we need defense

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
If he signs Lucic at a value deal, this trade will look better.

I think we all need to wait until July 2nd and see what this team looks like going in to the 2016-17 season before we judge.

Chiarelli's job is to ice the best team possible going in to next season, and player for player value aside, that's exactly what he's going to do.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Chiarelli mentioned about the contract and how that helps going forward.

Klefbom ~4.15m thru 22-23
Larsson ~4.15m thru 20-21
Sekera 5.5m thru 20-21
Demers ~5m thru 21-22

That would be capable top4. Add cheap 3rd pairing and you have over 50mil to spend for forwards. Should be no problem extending McD and Drai!

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Good post.

This is Chiarelli's first big move and it certainly has both positives and negatives.

If Chiarelli manages to get a Lucic or Eriksson there is no doubt that this is a good move. A good solid team move.

In his interview he outlines exactly why this is such an important move and I agree 100% with his assessment.

A move for a minute munching defenseman was a must.

Hall was my favorite Oiler but I can easily see why he was traded and who he was traded for.

Larson is a very cost effective defenseman that is a top 3 defender currently and still has a bit more upside.

One of my biggest concerns was that Chiarelli would not consider the cap implications and spend too much. It looks like he is doing well with this move.

Chia has some BALLS! Wow imagine being in his shoes knowing the backlash he would initially take. I really like this move I thought that the window to acquire Larrson was over. Overpaying for Larsson was the only way a team could get him and that's what he had to do. I'm surprised that there aren't more posters excited about a possible D of:
Klefbom-Larsson
Several-Demers
Davidson-Fayne

I don't even mind Fayne in that Lineup, I can't believe I'm saying that! I'm a huge fan of teams with good D though so I'm a biased but this is a solid move forward in my eyes.

This won't be the end either, after the expansion draft there will be more bodies moved out once they have heightened their value. I'm actually surprised that there aren't more posters that liked the move.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
This is going to...............???

then why didnt he carry us to the playoffs all alone?

he's a great player but we need defense

This is going to prove out the theory that a good defence is better than a good offense...........Hall was (is) a good offensive player but was (is) weak defensively.

So, basically........Chiarelli traded offence for defense........I agree the trade looks lopsided in favor of NJ........the next season will prove who is right.....Chiarelli or us fans.

spoutbec

Jun 27, 2015
Subtract Hall and add Lucic, Larsson, and Demers and we are a better hockey team.

Some may argur subtracting Hall loses offense, the reality was we were well below average offensively because our D cannot get out of their own zone or move the puck. Larsson addresses that and Lucic will surely help with his board play.

I feel we are a better club *if* those other two moves happen also.

Yeah, but a big part of that is adding Lucic and Demers which do not require subtracting Hall.

Try this one: Subtract Hall and add Larsson and we are a better hockey team. - I'm not buying it.

Or how about: Add Lucic and Demers and subtract no one and we are a better hockey team - I like this one better.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hall is overrated by us anyways. I was livid with the way he disappeared this season when McDavid was healthy and he wasn't the guy. He looked like he had lost a step and wasn't playing with the same passion. He was still a turnover machine. Amongst the worst in the NHL. I bet Chiarelli felt the same about his disappearing act. We won the first two games on mcdavids back and could have made a serious run but Hall chose then to fall off. I'm happy with this move because it's a culture change and I believe Larsson is a top pairing D who still has room to grow. When we sign Demers and Lucic we will be a playoff team and everyone will have forgotten about Taylor Hall.

This is how I saw things as well. Hall needed a change of scenery and NJ was not going to deal their young top pairing D for cheap. All that I know is that if all that RNH can fetch was Dumba and Hall Larsson, we need to draft only D over the next 2-3 drafts because it is clear that their trade value is by far the highest on a positional basis.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Oilers have finished 30th, 29th, 25th, 28th, and 29th with Taylor Hall in the lineup. Ask yourselves, can this trade make us any worse?

Looking at the trade in a 1v1 perspective, we obviously lost but the trade opens up so much more opportunities for us to improve. We finally get a young stud dman, we're probably gonna get Lucic, and another dman. We badly needed to shakeup the culture of the team and this move did it. Chia has some balls. Something Tambo and MacT did not have before him.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Subtract Hall and add Lucic, Larsson, and Demers and we are a better hockey team.

Some may argur subtracting Hall loses offense, the reality was we were well below average offensively because our D cannot get out of their own zone or move the puck. Larsson addresses that and Lucic will surely help with his board play.

I feel we are a better club *if* those other two moves happen also.

Except this trade was Hall for Larsson. The 1.8m cap space isn't the difference between Lucic + Demers and nothing.

We were an imbalanced team but I feel that we gave up far too much.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Einstein never made that quote, its a fiction, like this thread.

I thought I saw everything on hf. But now people defending a Taylor Hall for Beans thread.

Is Klowe still managing the club? Tambo? This is the worst Oilers trade in decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00