Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The plan should be to put a competitive team on the ice at the same time as we accrue more younger assets. Not all of our kids are going to be ready next year and holes are going to be need to be filled. Kovalchuk on a shorter term deal should be a big help to us. I don't have any problem with that. Adding to that it smoothes the path for Shesterkin to come over in 19-20 and Rykov to come over whenever....with the added bonus that Ilya is a former teammate of Buch which might just help him take the next step.

The Rangers are going to be in the free agent market. When haven't they been and why wouldn't they? As long as we don't give 3-4 year + contracts to 33 year old 2nd liners--2nd pairing d-men it's not really a problem. If the team collapses again those players can be moved again for more assets.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pionk was better than Gilmour and better than DeAngelo. Gilmour did play better than I expected he would and I would probably re-sign him....though he's probably a real reach to make the team out of training camp.

I really don't know how people can complain about Pionk. 1st year pro---got thrown to the wolves (Gilmour and O'Gara did too) for a third part of the season---ended up with a 22 minute + time on ice average--playing in all situations and against the toughest matchups and was only a -1 over 28 games when all is said and done which is kind of a minor miracle for someone of his size and (in)experience against other teams top lines.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kovalchuk firing bullets from the Ovi spit on the power play is an exciting prospect. Sign me up. 2/12 or 3/16. Whatever. Hopefully if he gets three years the cap hit is lower. Anyhow if this happens, I’m happy. Fwiw.

This “rebuild” is all about execution. No major bad free agent deals (meaning no lonnnng deals for non-superstars). Draft well. Don’t let any assets go for free. Get a good coach/system/leadership. Prosper.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Don’t we already have Zibanejad for that though? We’re giving his pp spot away to a 35 year old? How does that help us long term

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Don’t we already have Zibanejad for that though? We’re giving his pp spot away to a 35 year old? How does that help us long term

It doesn't.
If it were for $3M or so then it might make some sense but this is just idiotic.
It also takes $6M out of the equation and limits you when it comes to trades for actual long term pieces during the season..

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Well no **** has many connotations

“You know we hanging out and ****” more of a general hanging out and other stuff

“I’ll take spaghetti and ****” this would indicate that it is together.

It’s really a murky area in this sense.

It really doesn't in this instance .
It was used in one, singular context.
Get it together already man! Lol

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Do you know what takes you out of getting long-term assets to sign here? Putting together a really bad team and showing no concern for the present.

Reactions: RGY

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Do you know what takes you out of getting long-term assets to sign here? Putting together a really bad team and showing no concern for the present.

Kovalchuk will bring all the boys to the yard.
Gotcha :sarcasm:

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
The plan should be to put a competitive team on the ice at the same time as we accrue more younger assets. Not all of our kids are going to be ready next year and holes are going to be need to be filled. Kovalchuk on a shorter term deal should be a big help to us. I don't have any problem with that. Adding to that it smoothes the path for Shesterkin to come over in 19-20 and Rykov to come over whenever....with the added bonus that Ilya is a former teammate of Buch which might just help him take the next step.

The Rangers are going to be in the free agent market. When haven't they been and why wouldn't they? As long as we don't give 3-4 year + contracts to 33 year old 2nd liners--2nd pairing d-men it's not really a problem. If the team collapses again those players can be moved again for more assets.

Thanks for typing this. Saved me 5 minutes of my life trying to explain to all the "experts" on this frum why signing Kovy isnt all that bad of an idea.

He's needed to help us ice a team...... as well as get us a pick or two when he gets dealt to a contender in his second or third year. This is pretty simple math, but most here dont seem to get it.

Also, if Ranger management wants to sign some free agents to help this team turn it around quick, having a few half way descent players on the roster are needed. I'm not saying it would happpen, but you dont sign guys like JT or Karlson on a bottom of the barell team who has so few established NHL'ers on your roster.

This move could be good in so many ways.

Last edited:

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
So people say they’re ok with 2 but 3 is a disaster? Lol he’s 34 we have young Russians coming up in the system now he’s an asset on and off the ice and can be a nice piece to bring other free agents here. People seem to forget how filthy this guy was with Atlanta and in New Jersey, he’s always wanted to play in New York it’s been rumored since he was in Atlanta. Sign kovalchuk Tavares grabner and trade for karlsson and boom we’re back :popcorn:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'd sign JT at 7 x 7 (he's only 27) and build around that every time before I'd sign a 35+ Kovalchuk to a 3 x 6

oh man, i just puked in my mouth a bit there. You would have probably been ok with Callahan's 6 year $34.8 million contract too then? JT is doing great in Tampa but I'd agree Jesper Fast could do just as well playing with Stamkos & Kucherov. I suppose we'll just resign Fast to a 7 x 7 (he's only 26!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad