Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Don’t mind a short term deal a ton.

Three years sound long to me.

Official confirmation should come on July 1 right? But I don’t think we would have any tampering consideration to make so who knows.

Gorton will have a PC in a few hours right?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Igor Erenko is a credible source BTW. Can of course not vouch for his sources — but he himself is established.
Yes, I saw that with his twitter account, but not well known.
Personally I hope we waited to improve this team, but I saw it coming, because they have no patience for a proper rebuild here in New York, and we won`t bottom out with players like Ilya in 2019. But I mentioned it earlier concerning Gorton - he will try to retool it and see how it goes until they figure out they need to rebuild deeper than a low 1st overall in 2018 draft, and unless we win lottery for those early 3 picks, I don`t see us land anyone who we can build around with elite talent in this summer draft.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Two years would be good. Make it more attractive for our Russian guys to come over. Three years would be a bit much, unless it's for a bargain price... which it won't be.

Reactions: FultonReed

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If they move Zucc in this summer window I can see him sign with the Canucks as depth move to help their rebuild - they have over 14 mil $ cap, and the Sedins are officially retired in NHL. And personally I don`t mind that - they are my x girl friend kind of team - I follow Nucks closely when I was not active here on HF, and they are 3 years into their rebuild already. I still enjoy to watch Canucks playing hockey, and I`ve watched many games this season. :)

Reactions: Ola

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
This doesn't make sense for either side, IMO.

Kovalchuk wants to play in the NHL and loves NYC. Rangers have cap space and still have to ice a team not to mention they’ll be trading off some possible wingers in Spooner, Namestnikov, Zucc, etc. Even though they’re rebuilding, they still have to try and ice a competitive team so why not sign a guy like him who can still clearly play for nothing but cap space?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Kovalchuk wants to play in the NHL and loves NYC. Rangers have cap space and still have to ice a team not to mention they’ll be trading off some possible wingers in Spooner, Namestnikov, Zucc, etc. Even though they’re rebuilding, they still have to try and ice a competitive team so why not sign a guy like him who can still clearly play for nothing but cap space?

Yes a good point, but NYR have much less cap space compare to Vancouver for instant. So if Gorton have plans to resign RFA players like Hayes, Ryan Spooner, Nam, Skjei - they need to move someone for cap. to sign Ilya, so it make sense to move Zucc`s contract consider his age and NYR is rebuilding.

Reactions: Ola

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
2x6 for Kovalchuk seems like a lot at this point in time, no? If anything, he adds another much-needed righty shot to our lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarLionRoar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad