Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
@eco's bones @GAGLine

I must've given like 20 reasons why against this signing.
Some of the main ones being,
He's 35 years old.
He hasn't been in the league in 5 years and the game has changed quite considerably since then.
Add to that the smaller rink size.
It's tying up $6M for x amount of years where that money could be used to sign long term pieces obtained via trades/UFA signing -2019.
It's also a contact that's going to have a NTC attached to it.
Quite honestly, I'd rather just play a kid in that spot if a long term winger isn't available via trade at the moment.
These type of moves just always seem to come back and bite this team in the ass..Redden, Boyle..etc, etc..
And while you can change the description to this transaction and call it a stop gap, at the end of the day, it's exactly the same type deal the above players got.
A retirement contract.
Did I mention he's 35 years old?
Sign him for one year and cut him lose before next year's UFA and I'm on board.
Anything more than that is a bit crazy IMO
You don't have to agree but those are a few of my reasons.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
@eco's bones @GAGLine

He's 35 years old.
He hasn't been in the league in 5 years and the game has changed quite considerably since then.
It's tying up $6M for x amount of years where that money could be used to sign long term pieces obtained via trades/UFA signing -2019.
Quite honestly, I'd rather just play a kid in that spot if a long term winger isn't available via trade at the moment.
These type of moves just always seem to come back and bite this team in the ass..Redden, Boyle..etc, etc..
And while you can change the description to this transaction and call it a stop gap, at the end of the day, it's exactly the same type deal the above players got.
A retirement contract.

Two year deals do not usually come back to bite team's in the ass. If this is reminiscent of anything it's of Jagr coming out of the lockout with us. The fact that he hasn't been in the NHL in 5 years does not concern me a lot of either. He's been a top scorer in the KHL--which is the best European league. Larger ice surfaces--his skating is still there---which to me is a most important factor. The Rangers need help and IMO one player in particular he might help take the next step is Buchnevich.

The Rangers as is going in to next season will spend towards their cap--they'll either do some of that with free agents here or free agents from somewhere else. You go where the best deal is. If the Rangers did nothing and went pretty much with the team they have now they will have plenty of cap space and a really bad team......which won't necessarily advance our younger player's development either so.....and you know Henrik thinks the team is going to be better and that's because it's not going to be the same.

Free agents in any case (depending on trade clauses) can always be used to attain other assets.

Any case who else is available that would fit your idea of a legit scoring winger? and how much are you willing to give up for him in terms of cap and whatever other assets would be required to acquire him? It's a legit question. One thing with Kovalchuk is he's not going to cost us anything as far as players/prospects. He's kind of like found money--we can decide to leave it where it is and not pick it up but that doesn't solve the problem of a legit scoring winger either. For a two year contract if that's what it comes to I would take the risk and IMO it's not much of a gamble because standing pat and staying where we are isn't going to take us anywhere---it will leave us pretty much where we are already. It's like a batter looking at a third strike instead of swinging.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The biggest and most concerning issue for me is his back but it seems that he is not struggling yet. If they limit his minutes to something reasonable everything will be fine.

Fun fact: I am wearing a Kazan AK BARS Kovy jersey today at work.

Reactions: Bozle

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Of course he’s denying it. They’ll get charged for tampering if they don’t

And isn’t the Aivis guy the one who was saying the KHL was fixed this year? If so he’s not exactly credible

Reactions: EdJovanovski

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Two year deals do not usually come back to bite team's in the ass. If this is reminiscent of anything it's of Jagr coming out of the lockout with us. The fact that he hasn't been in the NHL in 5 years does not concern me a lot of either. He's been a top scorer in the KHL--which is the best European league. Larger ice surfaces--his skating is still there---which to me is a most important factor. The Rangers need help and IMO one player in particular he might help take the next step is Buchnevich.

The Rangers as is going in to next season will spend towards their cap--they'll either do some of that with free agents here or free agents from somewhere else. You go where the best deal is. If the Rangers did nothing and went pretty much with the team they have now they will have plenty of cap space and a really bad team......which won't necessarily advance our younger player's development either so.....and you know Henrik thinks the team is going to be better and that's because it's not going to be the same.

Free agents in any case (depending on trade clauses) can always be used to attain other assets.

Any case who else is available that would fit your idea of a legit scoring winger? and how much are you willing to give up for him in terms of cap and whatever other assets would be required to acquire him? It's a legit question. One thing with Kovalchuk is he's not going to cost us anything as far as players/prospects. He's kind of like found money--we can decide to leave it where it is and not pick it up but that doesn't solve the problem of a legit scoring winger either. For a two year contract if that's what it comes to I would take the risk and IMO it's not much of a gamble because standing pat and staying where we are isn't going to take us anywhere---it will leave us pretty much where we are already. It's like a batter looking at a third strike instead of swinging.

I don't see the point in just throwing out names and proposed trade scenarios because more often than not they're usually a long way off from what becomes reality.

While I'm not looking to beat a dead horse or look back, if you need a name, I'll give you one..
JTM
We wouldn't be in this position in the first place if he wasn't traded and that's all I'm going to say about that.

Agree to disagree on Kovalchuk.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

I agree except your point about Hank. He doesn't know jack shyte but just runs his mouth.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Other pending UFAs

Riley Nash
Matt Calvert
Blake Comeau
Patrick Maroon
Derek Ryan
Kyle Brodziak

If they become UFAs and if they wanted to sign with the Rangers I'd think it plausible 2 of them could be signed for a combined 6M cap hit without full clauses, for only 2 or 3 years. It's not sexy but those are players that would be more likely to still be movable for picks/prospects after year 1 or 2 and none of them would need plus 35 contracts. They are not going to do much on the PP most likely, they may not be as good offensively but as far as being in the mix to shelter/mentor the kids here and there while not overshadowing them.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Doesn’t seem all that likely that he is coming here.

Should we change the title — “Kovalchuk has not talked with the Rangers”? ;)

On the other ha d — if Gorts haven’t talked with Kova or had no indication whatsoever that he might consider coming here, claiming that talks about him signing here was ‘premature’ is a little weak denial.

Reactions: Ori

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“I don’t see the New York Rangers giving him that third year because what if things don’t go well for Ilya Kovalchuk. I mean, he hasn’t been in the NHL for what, seven years? It’s been a long time. The game has changed. He’s still an elite talent at the level he’s playing in the KHL, but what if he’s not that in the NHL and he decides after a year he doesn’t want to do it anymore and he wants to go back to Russia. Then you’re stuck with that deal on your books.

“I think that there’ll be a team like the Rangers that’ll give him a year or two, but beyond that it gets sketchy.”

The Rangers are the only team interested in Kovalchuk. One year. Take it or leave it.

Reactions: Off Sides

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
“I don’t see the New York Rangers giving him that third year because what if things don’t go well for Ilya Kovalchuk. I mean, he hasn’t been in the NHL for what, seven years? It’s been a long time. The game has changed. He’s still an elite talent at the level he’s playing in the KHL, but what if he’s not that in the NHL and he decides after a year he doesn’t want to do it anymore and he wants to go back to Russia. Then you’re stuck with that deal on your books.

“I think that there’ll be a team like the Rangers that’ll give him a year or two, but beyond that it gets sketchy.”

The Rangers are the only team interested in Kovalchuk. One year. Take it or leave it.

I thought Bobby Mac was unreliable now b/c he's stuck in the old rangers rumor world where they go for Tavares and EK?

Amazing how you just parse sources and interviews, only posting what supports your positions. the rest is FAKE NEWS

Reactions: JohnC and Bozle

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
@eco's bones @GAGLine

He's 35 years old.
A retirement contract.
Agree with EVERY SINGLE POINT. Play a kid. Don’t need this guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad