Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Tavares was a mistake. I think Marleau was a bigger one.
True but...

Tavares contract is over in a year. Posters just need to accept he's here until then - he is not going anywhere.

Marner should have been gone last year - teams would have given up a LOT more for Marner with 2 years left.

do you think the fans are so mean that Marner will grace us by waiving his no trade clause in his contract?

or is he such a child that he'll throw a temper tantrum and vindictively stay out his contract before he is shown the door?

very serious question.
The latter.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Marleau wasn’t that bad, I thought he brought some legitimacy to the team. That group was very likeable and they worked hard. 16/17 & 17/18 were some of the best years. 1 year too much on the contract. Joe Thornton, boy shit started to hit the fan with him. That lockeroom became a disaster

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
do you think the fans are so mean that Marner will grace us by waiving his no trade clause in his contract?

or is he such a child that he'll throw a temper tantrum and vindictively stay out his contract before he is shown the door?

very serious question.

I think there are 30 other reasons he may do either thing, but likely he wants to win here and thinks he can, so he will stay.

You may not agree, but I think his mindset would be closer to that.

Marleau was a good add. The real mistake was bringing in Tavares and giving him the C.

Sarcasm? Marleau was a terrible add.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Also in hindsight Tavares was a mistake. But no one knew Pietrangelo was going to hit the market.

Funniest part is Toronto was still in on Pietrangelo. Looking back, we should have signed Pietrangelo and moved on from Marner while he was an RFA and traded him. Kadri trade probably a little easier to swollow

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marleau wasn’t that bad, I thought he brought some legitimacy to the team. That group was very likeable and they worked hard. 16/17 & 17/18 were some of the best years. 1 year too much on the contract. Joe Thornton, boy shit started to hit the fan with him. That lockeroom became a disaster
That All or Nothing really shows why Jumbo had not won despite being a top player for so long.

Also in hindsight Tavares was a mistake. But no one knew Pietrangelo was going to hit the market.

Funniest part is Toronto was still in on Pietrangelo. Looking back, we should have signed Pietrangelo and moved on from Marner while he was an RFA and traded him. Kadri trade probably a little easier to swollow
Hindsight and what if will only make you feel bad.

No point doing it.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Bringing in Marleau and Thornton were the critical errors. They mentored them alright. Mentored them about how to secure the bag and check out when the cheque stops clearing. I lost all respect I had for Jumbo after watching that Amazon series.
Both serial losers who were stripped of their captaincy at one point in their careers, yeah let's bring them onboard to mentor our next generation. What a brilliant idea that was.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
They needed to bring in a Corry Perry type who will do anything to win.. Not a couple of players who always flopped in the playoffs and had the C removed from their Jerseys.

Watching marners reaction over throwing his gloves when he got yelled at shows you the maturity level of one of our leaders. This should be no shock why the leafs mentally can’t get it done. Last night was finally the point the frustration finally came out with each other.
Look at the Dad and you will understand the son.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Marleau would have been fine as a 1 year deal. Problem he was playing like a 4th liner by the first few weeks of year 2 and things just got worse from there

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marleau would have been fine as a 1 year deal. Problem he was playing like a 4th liner by the first few weeks of year 2 and things just got worse from there

Yeah the 3 year deal never made sense. Then to also trade him with a first instead of just buy him out never made sense too. Would have cost you a Kapanen or Johnsson cause of the cap penalities but better then than a first

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Treliving at the end of season exit meeting with Marner, tells Marner give me 10 teams OR you will be playing with Kampf and Reaves next season on defensive assignments in order to tank your contract value.

If you are Marner, what do you do...you give him 10 teams.
Never mind playing with Kampf and Reaves. I would healthy scratch him every game and tell him to sit his ass in the press box.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah the 3 year deal never made sense. Then to also trade him with a first instead of just buy him out never made sense too. Would have cost you a Kapanen or Johnsson cause of the cap penalities but better then than a first
They can’t buy him out bc he was 36 when he signed the contract

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marleau wasnt here for 2017 season

His first year he was decent but overpaid by 1.5M in 2017/2018

By 2018/2019 he was 4+M overpaid and a 4th liner

2019/2020 he was a non NHLer playing on crap Sharks team chasing the games played record

Marleau is a worse player all time than Kadri. He was just kept around for super long by dumb organizations. Hes a huge reason sharks never won. Always underperformed both in the reg season and playoffs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Buying him out would save 0 dollars, he was a 35+ contract. Carolina carried his full cap hit after the buy out.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner haa to be dealt. Id look at below packages in the summer

Pens: 2025 top 10 protected 1st + Marcus Pettersson + B prospect

Isles: Ilya Sorokin + 2025 1st rounder top 10 protected

Stars: [email protected] for Mavrik Bourque + 2025 top 10 protected 1st + Christan Kyrou

Utah: Keller + 2025 2nd

Preds: B+ Prospect (they have a bunch) + 2025 1st

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he shows up in the playoffs like Rantanen, Drai, Barkov and even Point. His contract would be a bargain.
Problem is he has not done it.
The thing is when you compare MM to those guys, some here thinks it is disrespectful bc MM is clearly a better player.

Some guys thought it was an insult to suggest Marner was in the same class as Aho, Rantanen, Point, Pastrnak as late as last summer. Suggesting that Marner was better than all of them and thus deserving his post ELC contract despite that group having 3 Stanley Cups, multiple 100 point, 50 goal seasons, a 60 goal season etc.

More recent and continual evidence would suggest he’s indeed not in the same class as that group but definitely not the way it was originally meant.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The clip of the glove throwing was.....unfortunate.

It just comes across worse than if he had just slammed his stick once. It's going to follow him around, at minimum for the rest of the offseason and into the next season.

Needs a strong next game to shake it off

Reactions: BallardEra

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

It just comes across worse than if he had just slammed his stick once. It's going to follow him around, at minimum for the rest of the offseason and into the next season.

The thing is, MM scored a great goal afterwards but nobody is talking about it.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

He’s mentally to weak to come out and have a strong game.

Reactions: DueDiligence

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Marner can never wear that jersey again. Its going to be hard to watch him in game 5, I dont care if he nets 5 points. Marner has to go, ive never seen such a pathetic incident on the bench in the playoffs with him throwing his gloves down. Marner also isnt realizing that when he is bitching at the refs for a penalty , its a 5 on 4 until he picks his stick up and goes back to playing hockey. Pathetic and selfish.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Some guys thought it was an insult to suggest Marner was in the same class as Aho, Rantanen, Point, Pastrnak as late as last summer. Suggesting that Marner was better than all of them and thus deserving his post ELC contract despite that group having 3 Stanley Cups, multiple 100 point, 50 goal seasons, a 60 goal season etc.

More recent and continual evidence would suggest he’s indeed not in the same class as that group but definitely not the way it was originally meant.
100% and I will also state AM is not the same tier as Mack, Drai, Makar and Kuch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad