"If WWE wants him [Kenny Omega], they will get him" - Dave Meltzer

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah, I wanted to Omega to win but Okada needed to cement himself with that victory. After his comments after the show, though, regarding Omega, Tanahashi, etc., I hope the arrogant, cocky, heelish Okada comes through a bit and it leads to Omega capitalizing in the summer and winning the title.

According to meltzer as of january 31st he's not signed anywhere.

I mentioned that. He said he doesn't know Omega's current contract situation but that his old contract was up on January 31st.

That's the way they do contracts, though. It probably changes after AJ, Karl, Gallows and Shinsuke left last year, but that's how they've normally done contracts.

For all we know, Kenny's re-signed and they're just letting Kenny take some time off and massively working the internet through Twitter as we build up to the Royal Rumble.

Kenny is absolutely in a position to say, in a very Kenny Omega voice, "prove it to you? I don't need to prove it to you. How about you prove it to me? I'm the best wrestler in the world. Put me in the main event, put me in title matches, put me on the marquee, put me on posters, I will make you money, I'll move a ton of merch, I'll do your SNL skits, tell John Cena he can get lost. Roman Reigns sucks. I'll get you into Japan. I'll get Dave Meltzer off your case. Don't give me a script. And don't tell me how to wrestle. " Because he should think that. He definitely should think that after what Finn Balor and AJ have done, that he should be able to walk through the door and immediately be seen as an "A-plus" player, and don't you dare put him in a feud with Jericho just because that's what people do.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They've started handing out longer contract after what happened last year. Both Elgin and Ospreay signed two year deals last year. Young Bucks signed for two years too, but they are a join deal with RoH as well.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Kenny probably signs a two-year deal if he already hasn't.

I don't think someone like Kenny can pass up the creative freedom he gets in Japan compared to what he'd be dealt with in WWE.

Kenny Omega has all the power right now, and likely for the next couple of years. He'll be the biggest name not in WWE. At the very least, if Kenny Omega does end up signing with WWE while his brand is high, the contract would include something like:

- guaranteed no NXT
- main event
- creative freedom
- time off at certain periods for gaming tournaments that Kenny is hot on
- at least $800,000 downside and big merchandise cuts
- an out-clause that he can use at any time

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean.. the guy is so crazy good in the ring. It's not easy watching wrestling in other promotions but has been easier for NJPW. I still would love if he came to WWE. I want to see him wrestle some WWE greats and then just let him be himself. It is easy money.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Kenny probably signs a two-year deal if he already hasn't.

I don't think someone like Kenny can pass up the creative freedom he gets in Japan compared to what he'd be dealt with in WWE.

Kenny Omega has all the power right now, and likely for the next couple of years. He'll be the biggest name not in WWE. At the very least, if Kenny Omega does end up signing with WWE while his brand is high, the contract would include something like:

- guaranteed no NXT
- main event
- creative freedom
- time off at certain periods for gaming tournaments that Kenny is hot on
- at least $800,000 downside and big merchandise cuts
- an out-clause that he can use at any time

The WWE will want to have more control over an out clause. Imagine he sign's tomorrow to debut in Royal Rumble, He'd only get a chance to exercise the out-clause after WM.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Well on the flipside what does Omega have left to do in NJPW? He wrestled most of the top guys there.

How about Styles/Omega? Rollings/Omega? Owens/Omega? I can name a ton of big time match ups he can have in the WWE. People probably thought the same thing for AJ and look what he accomplished.

I think Omega has a lot more to prove and lot more potential to truely become the greatest by wrestling in the WWE. Those Japanese guys are good, but your still missing out on some of the greatest wrestlers in the world by not wrestling in the WWE.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well on the flipside what does Omega have left to do in NJPW? He wrestled most of the top guys there.

How about Styles/Omega? Rollings/Omega? Owens/Omega? I can name a ton of big time match ups he can have in the WWE. People probably thought the same thing for AJ and look what he accomplished.

I think Omega has a lot more to prove and lot more potential to truely become the greatest by wrestling in the WWE. Those Japanese guys are good, but your still missing out on some of the greatest wrestlers in the world by not wrestling in the WWE.

He hasn't won the title. He hasn't been a part of NJPW's major push into North America that's coming aka WWE's turf, which I'm sure he'd love to be a part of.

His merchandise is selling more than any other superstars in WWE minus the top-tier guys and that's just from ROH TV and AXS, which is nuts.

The guy doesn't need WWE and he doesn't "need" to wrestle Cesaro, Rollins, etc. when he can wrestle Naito, Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, etc.

Omega/Styles and Omega/Nakamura would be bad ass, but he doesn't need to do those. It's not about just working with those guys, it's the culture and lifestyle in Japan (which, again, it was his dream to work in Japan, not WWE - this can't be stressed enough when it comes to Kenny Omega) and the creativity he has working in NJPW. His friends, The Young Bucks, signed a two-year deal, so it'll be at least two years before Omega makes the jump.

It will happen, but it won't be before the next two years are up. He will win the title in NJPW, have a run on top and help their expansion into North America. If the expansion is successful he may not even make the jump. He won't need to.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He hasn't won the title. He hasn't been a part of NJPW's major push into North America that's coming aka WWE's turf, which I'm sure he'd love to be a part of.

His merchandise is selling more than any other superstars in WWE minus the top-tier guys and that's just from ROH TV and AXS, which is nuts.

The guy doesn't need WWE and he doesn't "need" to wrestle Cesaro, Rollins, etc. when he can wrestle Naito, Okada, Tanahashi, Ibushi, etc.

Omega/Styles and Omega/Nakamura would be bad ass, but he doesn't need to do those. It's not about just working with those guys, it's the culture and lifestyle in Japan (which, again, it was his dream to work in Japan, not WWE - this can't be stressed enough when it comes to Kenny Omega) and the creativity he has working in NJPW. His friends, The Young Bucks, signed a two-year deal, so it'll be at least two years before Omega makes the jump.

It will happen, but it won't be before the next two years are up. He will win the title in NJPW, have a run on top and help their expansion into North America. If the expansion is successful he may not even make the jump. He won't need to.

Im not saying he needs to, I am saying if he did he would wrestle some of the greatest wrestlers and have the greatest matches available to the largest audience in the world. Him against top Jap and indy stars still leaves out a lot of big time matches he can have with amazing wrestlers.

Its just something I would like to see. I think he could put on amazing matches in the WWE. Its up to him to chose what ever he wants to do with his career. Can't fault a wrestler doing whats best for them and makes them happy whatever he chooses.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We would all love a more easily accessible Kenny Omega, believe me. Hopefully NJPW can get that expansion into North America and get more TV deals.

Maybe in two years he'll make the jump with The Bucks and we'll see The Elite vs. The New Day, The Elite vs. The Shield and The Elite vs. The Club.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Kenny is absolutely in a position to say, in a very Kenny Omega voice, "prove it to you? I don't need to prove it to you. How about you prove it to me? I'm the best wrestler in the world. Put me in the main event, put me in title matches, put me on the marquee, put me on posters, I will make you money, I'll move a ton of merch, I'll do your SNL skits, tell John Cena he can get lost. Roman Reigns sucks. I'll get you into Japan. I'll get Dave Meltzer off your case. Don't give me a script. And don't tell me how to wrestle. " Because he should think that. He definitely should think that after what Finn Balor and AJ have done, that he should be able to walk through the door and immediately be seen as an "A-plus" player, and don't you dare put him in a feud with Jericho just because that's what people do.
That's what I would expect as a negotiaing tone in Omega's case as well. "You're not giving some indy guy who wrestles well in front of 1000 people a contract, you're trying to sign the best wrestler on the planet who just wrestled the best match of all time. If I go to your company, don't tell me what to do and I'll give you the best matches in WWE's history and a great money character". Not some "happy to be here" nonsense. If they want him, he has a lot of leverage.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Im not saying he needs to, I am saying if he did he would wrestle some of the greatest wrestlers and have the greatest matches available to the largest audience in the world. Him against top Jap and indy stars still leaves out a lot of big time matches he can have with amazing wrestlers.

Its just something I would like to see. I think he could put on amazing matches in the WWE. Its up to him to chose what ever he wants to do with his career. Can't fault a wrestler doing whats best for them and makes them happy whatever he chooses.

He can already wrestle some of the greatest wrestlers available and he can put on better matches in Japan than he would be able to in WWE where they'd cut him down. All of these guys in WWE, Styles, Owens, Rollins etc are able to put out better matches than they do in WWE where they are limited. WWE doesn't give Omega the chance for better matches, it would only limit him as an artist. He is already in the place where he can best do his work.

He gets pretty big audiences already and those audiences are much more people who appreciate his work.

You say he can prove something in WWE, what does he have to prove there exactly? He's already arguably the best wrestler in the world, he's already proven that. Just because the people who only live in the "WWE Universe" haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't the case. The proof is all readily available for anyone who wants to see it. It's one thing to want to see him because who wouldn't love to have him on the show they watch, it's another to act like he has something to prove or that he can be better because he goes there that's just WWE fanboy stuff.

Last edited:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I expect him to join the WWE like Sting did at the end of his career and just like Sting he will get burried by a then 70 year old Triple H.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He can already wrestle some of the greatest wrestlers available and he can put on better matches in Japan than he would be able to in WWE where they'd cut him down. All of these guys in WWE, Styles, Owens, Rollins etc are able to put out better matches than they do in WWE where they are limited. WWE doesn't give Omega the chance for better matches, it would only limit him as an artist. He is already in the place where he can best do his work.

He gets pretty big audiences already and those audiences are much more people who appreciate his work.

You say he can prove something in WWE, what does he have to prove there exactly? He's already arguably the best wrestler in the world, he's already proven that. Just because the people who only live in the "WWE Universe" haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't the case. The proof is all readily available for anyone who wants to see it. It's one thing to want to see him because who wouldn't love to have him on the show they watch, it's another to act like he has something to prove or that he can be better because he goes there that's just WWE fanboy stuff.

I think you are underselling the guys in WWE. And no one in WWE is really that limited. Outside of a few safety stuff wrestlers in the WWE are free to wrestle how they want. Some of those head drops are a bit much if you ask me.

There are tons of legendary matches that Kenny can have in the WWE. Styles/Nak/Joe/Rollins/Cesaro/Zayn/Ambros/Cena etc... the list goes on and on. And he can main event a dome show or a Wrestlemania in front of 90000 people. Or win a Royal Rumble.

And WWE fans would be plenty appreciative of his work. Fans appreciate guys like Sytles and Cesaro plenty enough. WWE is basically all indy guys now anyways.

I don't think he has anything to prove or will be "better" in the WWE. I just think he can wrestle some of the best Wrestlers in the world on the biggest stage in front of the largest audience and make memories that will be replayed to the public 20 years from now. He can stay in Japan and forge his legacy there but he is still missing out on wrestling a ton of great guys which would produce instant classics.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Omega isn't going anywhere for at least a year, given he's still under contract, but despite how great he is, I still fear he'd get lost in the shuffle in WWE, despite the success of NJPW stars like Balor and Nakamura (jury's still out on what happens with Gallows and Anderson). Omega had one of the best matches I've ever seen with Okada at WK11, but I just don't see WWE as a great fit for him. Unlike the other gaijin that wrestled for New Japan, Omega actually lives in Japan. It's not like with AJ and guys like that where they come back to their families in the States.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I think you are underselling the guys in WWE. And no one in WWE is really that limited. Outside of a few safety stuff wrestlers in the WWE are free to wrestle how they want. Some of those head drops are a bit much if you ask me.

There are tons of legendary matches that Kenny can have in the WWE. Styles/Nak/Joe/Rollins/Cesaro/Zayn/Ambros/Cena etc... the list goes on and on. And he can main event a dome show or a Wrestlemania in front of 90000 people. Or win a Royal Rumble.

And WWE fans would be plenty appreciative of his work. Fans appreciate guys like Sytles and Cesaro plenty enough. WWE is basically all indy guys now anyways.

I don't think he has anything to prove or will be "better" in the WWE. I just think he can wrestle some of the best Wrestlers in the world on the biggest stage in front of the largest audience and make memories that will be replayed to the public 20 years from now. He can stay in Japan and forge his legacy there but he is still missing out on wrestling a ton of great guys which would produce instant classics.

I'm not underselling those guys at all. I was a fan of all of those guys long before they even hit the WWE. And it's for this very reason that I know they are limited in what they can do in the ring in WWE, because I've seen them do much more outside of WWE rings. They aren't free to wrestle how they want.

Yes there's plenty of great names he can wrestle in WWE, there's plenty he can wrestle outside of WWE also. He's also already worked with for example Tyler Black IIRC and Claudio, and Generico and Steen, before they were Rollins, Cesaro, Zayn, Owens.

You talk about main eventing Mania, or winning a Rumble, these are your values. In Japan he can main event WK, on the indys he can help grow wrestling outside the monopoly, he can win the NJPW title, these are what his values are.

Some WWE fans appreciate that, more so those inclined to post in forums such as this one. But the WWE audience as a whole differs greatly from a Japanese or Indy one where.

You have literally spoke about him proving something multiple times "I think Omega has a lot more to prove and lot more potential to truely become the greatest by wrestling in the WWE". He is producing instant classics right now, and while sure he's missing out wrestling some guys in WWE, by the very same logic if he goes to WWE he's missing out on wrestling guys who aren't there.

Fact is proving you can make it in the WWE is in large part a political game rather than a reflection of talent. He's creating history rather than trying to do things that someone like Roman Reigns has done also.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How long did Karl Andersen and Luke Gallows sign for? Because at this point, I see them bolting back to Japan when they get the chance, and as they should.

I hope NJPW expands into NA, because if they do, WWE has legitimate competition.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They're not going anywhere, especially Anderson. His family probably wouldn't like him to bolt back to Japan.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yo, MCG. I have that T-Shirt in your avatar.

Also, John Cena's last two IG posts had Kenny Omega in them at some capacity.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Cena probably got around to watching WK11.

How long did Karl Andersen and Luke Gallows sign for? Because at this point, I see them bolting back to Japan when they get the chance, and as they should.

I hope NJPW expands into NA, because if they do, WWE has legitimate competition.

Probably three-year deals.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I'm not underselling those guys at all. I was a fan of all of those guys long before they even hit the WWE. And it's for this very reason that I know they are limited in what they can do in the ring in WWE, because I've seen them do much more outside of WWE rings. They aren't free to wrestle how they want.

Outside of some super dangerous moves which I agree shouldn't be done WWE wrestlers wrestle just like indy/japan guys. Kevin Owens does the same moves as Kevin Steen except for the package piledriver (which again I agree due to safety reasons).

Yes there's plenty of great names he can wrestle in WWE, there's plenty he can wrestle outside of WWE also. He's also already worked with for example Tyler Black IIRC and Claudio, and Generico and Steen, before they were Rollins, Cesaro, Zayn, Owens.

There are good names on the indys but very few. Japan has good wrestlers as well. I still say he is missing out on 70-80% of the best wrestlers because he isn't wrestling anyone in the WWE. WWE is the biggest wretling company in the world with the largest roster in one place. Thats a huge group of guys Omega isn't going against. He already werestled some of those guys but barely anyone knows about it. Bigger spotlight for him and every other wrestler now.

You talk about main eventing Mania, or winning a Rumble, these are your values. In Japan he can main event WK, on the indys he can help grow wrestling outside the monopoly, he can win the NJPW title, these are what his values are.

Growing werstling outside the monopoly is a losing battle. There is nothing to grow. The Network killed any chance of a number 2 company. Best he can do is help a small indy have a few good shows or pop a small rating for TNA/LU (and if he went to TNA over WWE LOL). As far as Japan I feel he kinda accomplished almost everything there. He won G1, JR heavyweight title. Had there second belt. Main evented the dome in a 6 star match. What can he do to top that? He can win the heavyweight title but IMHO he is at the top. Yes he can have more great matchs and hold the belt but I don't know if he can top this year.

Some WWE fans appreciate that, more so those inclined to post in forums such as this one. But the WWE audience as a whole differs greatly from a Japanese or Indy one where.

Thats just elitisim. WWE fans are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. Most Indy audiences actually ape WWE audiences with the way and what they react to. And I would say almost every wrestler who has gotten over over the past few years is because of their in ring work now a days. Guys like Bryan/Cesaro/AJ/Rollins etc are all over because of what they do in the ring. Heck even Cena is getting less hate because of the great matches he put on since his US title open.

You have literally spoke about him proving something multiple times "I think Omega has a lot more to prove and lot more potential to truely become the greatest by wrestling in the WWE". He is producing instant classics right now, and while sure he's missing out wrestling some guys in WWE, by the very same logic if he goes to WWE he's missing out on wrestling guys who aren't there.

Well he does have something to prove to an american audience and a mainstream one. He is the man in Japan but in the end that doesn't mean much to joe schmoe wrestling fan. He knows he is the man in Japan but can he do that here? He didn't walk into Japan and was annointed the next one he worked his ass off and became a great wrestler/character and earned his push. Question is can he do that in the WWE on the big stage. Thats what he has to prove. And yes he will miss out on wrestling Japanes guys so its a catch 22. I just think as above he already did a ton in Japan. Whats next a 7 star match with Okada?

Fact is proving you can make it in the WWE is in large part a political game rather than a reflection of talent. He's creating history rather than trying to do things that someone like Roman Reigns has done also.

If he won at the dome he would of really created history, but NJPW decided they didn't want to make history. Politics is part of every fed. You don't think NJPW or ROH have their own politics. And even with politics the cream always rises to the top. And their are plenty of wrestlers outside of Reigns creating history in the WWE. Styles with his historic first year. Rollins being double champ. DBryan winning 2 matches in one night at Wrestlemania.

Look its up to Omega what he wants to do I just think you have bought into this anti-WWE narrative a bit much. All feds are a bunch of carneys looking to take marks for a ride. Wrestling is wrestling. Amazing matches happen in the WWE. If Omega wants to make some nice coin and put his name on the map in NA then go to the WWE and prove you can work your way up.

Personally I actually think he is better off staying in NJPW the more I think about it. Unless he wants to do the NXT thing I don't think he can walk onto the main roster and be a main even player right away like Styles was able to do. So he would have to work hard and work his way up. I don't doubt he could do it, but he is already at the top in NJPW so if he is comfortable there then so be it.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

What more were those guys doing in NJPW? They got lucky to be part of a the BC a big time stable but they were essentially tag team guys. They have been invovled in the tag team title scene almost all year and it wouldn't surprise me to see them hold the gold at some point in time.

Its not like KA/LG were destined to main even the dome against Okada and Tanashi and win the Intercontinental and Heavyweight titles.

If they went back to Japan they would probably just be thrown in a tag team feud not much different then what they are doing now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad