"If WWE wants him [Kenny Omega], they will get him" - Dave Meltzer

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Posted by Meltzer on his message board.

Pretty much said if WWE wants Kenny, they'll get him unless he doesn't want to work the schedule. Ibushi didn't want to work the schedule, Sabre wasn't offered "monster money".

Omega's value has never been higher and the reason WWE doesn't get some guys is because they believe wrestlers would be willing to work double the dates for the same or less money solely because they're working for WWE.

If WWE put $750,000 on a downside guarantee on a three-year deal, he doesn't see either party turning it down and WWE could easily afford it and they wouldn't be overpaying.

WWE hates someone getting buzz with another company.

He also doesn't know Kenny's current contract situation, but knows the old/current deal is expiring on January 31st.

My own personal opinion is that Kenny has no reason to make the jump this year. He's very likely to get a mega rematch with Okada and win the belt.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
If he was trying to get some sort of mega rematch he wouldn't be leaving to begin with.

He has a ton of friends in WWE seems like a no brainer besides the fact that he just doesn't want to work too many nights.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
"WWE hates someone getting buzz with another company."

Exactly. The best thing for the wrestling business is if Kenny stays as far away from them as possible and elevates NJPW. Being the international mega draw that puts a spotlight on his promotion will do wonders for NJPW as they continue to grow.

In WWE he'll be just another really guy getting lost in the shuffle. They've got warehouses full of these guys that lose the spark that made them special. Stay away, Kenny.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
If he was trying to get some sort of mega rematch he wouldn't be leaving to begin with.

He has a ton of friends in WWE seems like a no brainer besides the fact that he just doesn't want to work too many nights.

Or besides the fact it clashes with basically everything Omega says.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
How come NJPW gets such a break from the "IWC" but WWE doesn't?

Okada/Tanashi rinse and repeat. How is that different then Cena/Reigns over and over again. Sure you can be a mark and say they are better "wrestlers" but in the end its those 2 always with the belts, always at the top of the card.

Even Naito got the belt and dropped it. Omega is built up and can't beat Okada at the dome. Thats like DB losing at WM in NO.

Maybe Omega sees that he won't ever be the "ace" in Japan so better to take a nice pay day, live in his home country and build his brand to an American audience where it can actually pay off for him. If he even becomes a midcarder in the WWE that makes him the biggest star at any Indie or TNA or even in Japan.

Omega doesn't owe indie wrestling or Japan wrestling anything. He owes himself the opportunity to make his brand as big as possible and to make as much money as possible before he is too broken down to wrestle anymore.

Anyways I am sure next years WK will be once again have the 2 featured matches with Tanashi and Okada for like the 4th year in a row. But don't ever say there is a glass ceiling in Japan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How did NJPW not lock Kenny in after what happened last year? LIJ may be bigger than the Bullet Club now, but they kind of pinned everything on Kenny Omega to get the whole company over.

I'm all for WWE getting their best people, but I think this is a case where I don't want that to happen right now because I want to see how far this can go.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Or besides the fact it clashes with basically everything Omega says.

Eh, at the end of the day, it's a business. Sure, he'll probably take less money to stay with NJPW rather than come over to WWE but if the deal is big enough, it doesn't matter what he said before.

I honestly have no idea what contracts look like in the wrestling world. If Meltzer is saying $750k will do it, I'm guessing wrestlers don't make nearly as much as any major sports athletes. If he were to be offered a contract for twice what he's make at NJPW, it's perfectly believe that he would take it regardless of who's offering it (unless I guess it's TNA because he probably wouldn't actually get the money. :sarcasm:)

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Eh, at the end of the day, it's a business. Sure, he'll probably take less money to stay with NJPW rather than come over to WWE but if the deal is big enough, it doesn't matter what he said before.

I honestly have no idea what contracts look like in the wrestling world. If Meltzer is saying $750k will do it, I'm guessing wrestlers don't make nearly as much as any major sports athletes. If he were to be offered a contract for twice what he's make at NJPW, it's perfectly believe that he would take it regardless of who's offering it (unless I guess it's TNA because he probably wouldn't actually get the money. :sarcasm:)

Forbes had a list of highest paid performers. Guys like Ambros and Rollins were pulling in about 1 Million. I think pretty much they get 6 figures but unless you are a top top guy its probably closer to 100,000 than 500,000.

Merch can make a big difference. Wouldn't surprise me if New day were swimming in cash due to all the Merch they have and sell regardless of what there downsides are.

750 000$ downside in WWE would probably put Kenny in the upper echelon of earners. If he can break out with his Merchandise he has a chance to probably double or triple that.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007

It still matters if he prioritises the other things he wants over the additional money. He can make more than he will ever need in Japan, in WWE or on the indys.

One of the things that separates Kenny is his openness about how much he dislikes WWE from a business perspective. He sees himself as someone who can help "save" wrestling from the WWE monopoly, so you then need to start trying to find a dollar value that "buys" that piece of him. What that costs, if there even is a price, is entirely up to him. Then there's the "price" for him giving up other aspects of his life he would prefer. Most guys see WWE as the ultimate goal, Kenny again is different in that he wants to be in Japan he sees that as the grand stage and he sees himself as doing something that others haven't done rather than being another WWE guy.

Wrestlers don't make anywhere near what top athletes make but someone like Kenny is easily making enough that he never needs to worry about money. WWE offering him double what he can make in Japan would be a stretch.

The number of Bullet Club guys going to WWE probably doesn't help either because if he jumped he'd just be seen as another one of them whereas right now he's trying to make history and do things that haven't been done before.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It still matters if he prioritises the other things he wants over the additional money. He can make more than he will ever need in Japan, in WWE or on the indys.

One of the things that separates Kenny is his openness about how much he dislikes WWE from a business perspective. He sees himself as someone who can help "save" wrestling from the WWE monopoly, so you then need to start trying to find a dollar value that "buys" that piece of him. What that costs, if there even is a price, is entirely up to him.

Wrestlers don't make anywhere near what top athletes make. WWE offering him double what he can make in Japan would be a stretch.

I don't know as much of what Omega's plans are in regards to stopping the WWE monopoly. I wonder how much of it is to play to the choir who love to see the "revolutionaries" stand up to the machine?

I don't know if WWE would offer double, but at some point I would think making it and living back in his home country might be more attractive then being an ex-pat in Japan. And has NJPW committed to making Omega a star? He got a big push but still couldn't win the belt. I just don't know if he is their next "Ace".

But hey neither of us are Omega and we don't know what his real priorities in life are. For some money isn't a driving factor. 500,000 here or 750,000 there whatever either way I am making nice bank. IMHO if Omega is as smart as he seems to be he will continue to play the game to get as much money as he can out of the WWE. His value probably tripled since last year when AJ left. Just for him hope he doesn't wait to long and his value drops and then WWE is offering him 250000 downsides and NJPW has him curtain jerking as JR again.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't know as much of what Omega's plans are in regards to stopping the WWE monopoly. I wonder how much of it is to play to the choir who love to see the "revolutionaries" stand up to the machine?

I don't know if WWE would offer double, but at some point I would think making it and living back in his home country might be more attractive then being an ex-pat in Japan. And has NJPW committed to making Omega a star? He got a big push but still couldn't win the belt. I just don't know if he is their next "Ace".

But hey neither of us are Omega and we don't know what his real priorities in life are. For some money isn't a driving factor. 500,000 here or 750,000 there whatever either way I am making nice bank. IMHO if Omega is as smart as he seems to be he will continue to play the game to get as much money as he can out of the WWE. His value probably tripled since last year when AJ left. Just for him hope he doesn't wait to long and his value drops and then WWE is offering him 250000 downsides and NJPW has him curtain jerking as JR again.

Well he's talked the talk and walked the walk so far so I'm not really inclined to start questioning his motives there.

That's assuming he'd rather be in Canada/America. If he wanted that he could be there right now making great money. He isn't. North America doesn't have what he wants or what he dreamed of doing.

Heaven forbid he make 250k a year

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

You're trying to make it sound like his push is over. He did hit a single One Winged Angel in his match with Okada and it took four rainmakers to put Omega away. There will be a rematch and Kenny Omega will absolutely win the title by the summer.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You're trying to make it sound like his push is over. He did hit a single One Winged Angel in his match with Okada and it took four rainmakers to put Omega away. There will be a rematch and Kenny Omega will absolutely win the title by the summer.

I don't follow NJPW, usually just lurk their results but it seems like Okada/Tanashi are always in the main events/holding the big titles. So maybe the plan was for Okada to win and Kenny to go on some sort of soul searching journey to win the belt at a later date. But kinda reminds of the DB story but instead of beating HHH and Orton/Batista DB would of lost and won the title at Summerslam.

NJPW had a chance to make a superstar, a guy they are obvisouly pushing so why stop short? Did they not want a Ganjin to win a the big belt at the dome? If Cena did this it would be oh WWE with the glass cieling, but NJPW gets away with having the same 2 guys at the top over and over again.

Maybe I am missing some nuances of Japanese wrestling since I don't follow it that much but from an outsider perspective thats what it looks like to me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't follow NJPW, usually just lurk their results but it seems like Okada/Tanashi are always in the main events/holding the big titles. So maybe the plan was for Okada to win and Kenny to go on some sort of soul searching journey to win the belt at a later date. But kinda reminds of the DB story but instead of beating HHH and Orton/Batista DB would of lost and won the title at Summerslam.

NJPW had a chance to make a superstar, a guy they are obvisouly pushing so why stop short? Did they not want a Ganjin to win a the big belt at the dome? If Cena did this it would be oh WWE with the glass cieling, but NJPW gets away with having the same 2 guys at the top over and over again.

Maybe I am missing some nuances of Japanese wrestling since I don't follow it that much but from an outsider perspective thats what it looks like to me.

Kenny Omega became a superstar during the year. He had awesome matches, went over Tanahashi to be Intercontinental Champion, became the leader of the Bullet Club (for what that's now worth, it was a huge deal a year ago when it happened) and won G1. No, it wasn't the top title, but they made him a star, the match made him a bigger star, his character is super-over, and they still have a big story for him to play out to not only win the title, but also win in the Wrestle Kingdom main event. It took 4 years for Japan to put over Okada as the #1 star in Japan. Great matches, great characters, sensible storylines and not insulting your audience are the steps to making a new star.

It's not like they're perfect, Naito got the Roman Reigns push, and Gedo was willing to pull the plug on it when he knew that the gig was up. Now Naito is an actual star who some people thought should've been in the main event.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

Because it's the Okada story, not the Omega one.

This match was about Okada being the champion just as much as it was about Omega going on a tear to get the title shot. Okada has only just de-throned Tanahashi as the top guy, so the story has changed from the upstart trying to topple the old guard to the upstart making his stand and the old guard trying to prove they've still got it. Okada needed to win to show that he's the top guy, even against the mighty Omega run.

Just as Cena had to beat people, so does Okada. Winning is important, especially in NJPW (massively more then in WWE).

But this isn't to say they failed to make Omega a bigger star in the match. The match was all about making Omega into a star in defeat, and it certainly worked.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Kenny Omega is a superstar already. He won G1, which is a big freaking deal. He's a big time international draw and sells an insane amount of Bullet Club merch.

The company is heavily invested in him, the title is just a formality at this point. Whether it's in January or June doesn't make a huge difference.

It would have been a cool moment but the show obviously didn't need it and it was a killer match regardless of the finish.

At the same time, as noted above Okada is also getting a massive push as the "traditional" guy who represent's New Japan's values for a new generation.

If they think the Okada/Omega story has some juice left, I'm happy to wait it out. Given NJPW's track record over the past few years I'm not really in a position to question their judgment.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Like I said I probably missed some nuances of the story since I don't follow NJPW that much.

I don't doubt Omega is a star, even HHH seems like he is going after him hard.

Its up to him what he wants to do in his profession. Seems like WWE has some big time interest and are willing to invest. Its up to Omega if he wants to start over and prove he can make it there or if he is happy with NJPW and continuing his legacy there.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Vince "Alright I signed this Kenny Omega kid everyone is talking about"

Creative "Nice, who do you want him to wrestle first?"

Vince "Wrestle? I thought he was some kind of janitor?"

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Like I said I probably missed some nuances of the story since I don't follow NJPW that much.

I don't doubt Omega is a star, even HHH seems like he is going after him hard.

Its up to him what he wants to do in his profession. Seems like WWE has some big time interest and are willing to invest. Its up to Omega if he wants to start over and prove he can make it there or if he is happy with NJPW and continuing his legacy there.

If we are to believe the rumours they've wanted Omega for a long time now.

The problem is this idea you're saying of proving "he can make it there". Making it in WWE is something dozens of people have done, what Kenny is doing is much less chartered territory and is what he aspires to do. The "WWE Universe" won't realise that, but he doesn't give a **** about that because he isn't one of these guys who grew up just dreaming of being a WWE guy. He doesn't need to prove he can make it there because he already believes his matches are better than anyone there puts out and he is right. Going to WWE and successfully wading your way through the politics doesn't really prove anything for the metrics he measures by. He knows that great wrestling can happen anywhere, not just in WWE.

People have this idea that you need to make it in WWE because it's the "big league". Wrestling is not a genuine competitive sport, this isn't like needing to play in the NHL to prove yourself as opposed to playing in the KHL. AJ was one of the best wrestlers in the world before he stepped into a WWE ring and the "universe" realised it, Kenny is one of if not the best wrestlers in the world whether he ever steps foot in a WWE ring or not. Going to the WWE doesn't prove anything for him, it simply exposes him to a fan base who think WWE is everything. Many of the best performers in the world aren't in WWE. He doesn't need to go to the WWE to prove anything, he's already one of the absolute best in the world at what he does and everyone who sees him knows it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kenny is absolutely in a position to say, in a very Kenny Omega voice, "prove it to you? I don't need to prove it to you. How about you prove it to me? I'm the best wrestler in the world. Put me in the main event, put me in title matches, put me on the marquee, put me on posters, I will make you money, I'll move a ton of merch, I'll do your SNL skits, tell John Cena he can get lost. Roman Reigns sucks. I'll get you into Japan. I'll get Dave Meltzer off your case. Don't give me a script. And don't tell me how to wrestle. " Because he should think that. He definitely should think that after what Finn Balor and AJ have done, that he should be able to walk through the door and immediately be seen as an "A-plus" player, and don't you dare put him in a feud with Jericho just because that's what people do.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00