"If WWE wants him [Kenny Omega], they will get him" - Dave Meltzer

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Omega and NJPW benefit a lot from getting limited exposure. It's like NXT from 3 years ago, everything was fresh and exciting and new with completely different presentation. But then the novelty wore off, and NXT isn't special anymore. There were like 3-4 takeovers a year but now I feel like we get one every 6-8 weeks.

When you only watch something a few times a year and it's good every time, people love it. Especially when they're the brilliant main event climax season-finale kind of shows like Takeover and WrestleKingdom. But when you see it every week it quickly becomes stale. You get bogged down with filler and suddenly the average quality gets deflated.

Part of the appeal of Smackdown Live right now is that we don't see Styles wrestle every week. He's an attraction and it feels special to watch him. Look at Rollins last year, guy was in like 6 segments every week. Guys that are as talented as him or Orton get boring when we get oversaturated with them, I don't want the same to happen to Omega.

Let Kenny be the guy we keep hearing about but only see a few times a year, and when we do see him it's a big deal because he delivers every time.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Outside of some super dangerous moves which I agree shouldn't be done WWE wrestlers wrestle just like indy/japan guys. Kevin Owens does the same moves as Kevin Steen except for the package piledriver (which again I agree due to safety reasons).

I don't think this is accurate at all, it isn't simply "super dangerous moves", the WWE limits all kinds of moves that were commonplace years ago that weren't that bad.

There are good names on the indys but very few. Japan has good wrestlers as well. I still say he is missing out on 70-80% of the best wrestlers because he isn't wrestling anyone in the WWE. WWE is the biggest wretling company in the world with the largest roster in one place. Thats a huge group of guys Omega isn't going against. He already werestled some of those guys but barely anyone knows about it. Bigger spotlight for him and every other wrestler now.

No, it isn't "very few" there's dozens of great wrestlers out there. Barely anyone knows about it doesn't mean it didn't happen, it just means the "WWE Universe" wasn't exposed to it. Just like Danielson was the best in the world long before WWE fans saw him

Growing werstling outside the monopoly is a losing battle. There is nothing to grow. The Network killed any chance of a number 2 company. Best he can do is help a small indy have a few good shows or pop a small rating for TNA/LU (and if he went to TNA over WWE LOL). As far as Japan I feel he kinda accomplished almost everything there. He won G1, JR heavyweight title. Had there second belt. Main evented the dome in a 6 star match. What can he do to top that? He can win the heavyweight title but IMHO he is at the top. Yes he can have more great matchs and hold the belt but I don't know if he can top this year.

Losing battle for you, fortunately we do have some people who don't buy into that and aren't happy with WWE being everything. There's plenty of wrestling happening outside of WWE, you're just stuck in the bubble. You already answered your own question, he can win the title. Further to that, he can continue to help expand the audience which seems to be one of his missions.

Thats just elitisim. WWE fans are a lot smarter than you give them credit for. Most Indy audiences actually ape WWE audiences with the way and what they react to. And I would say almost every wrestler who has gotten over over the past few years is because of their in ring work now a days. Guys like Bryan/Cesaro/AJ/Rollins etc are all over because of what they do in the ring. Heck even Cena is getting less hate because of the great matches he put on since his US title open.

It isn't really. You blatantly ignore that a large part of that audience is children it's simply a commentary on the facts. Much of the WWE fan base is "joe schmoe" as you put it, who don't know much beyond what WWE gives them. That's fine, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it means they are not as exposed to what is available.

Well he does have something to prove to an american audience and a mainstream one. He is the man in Japan but in the end that doesn't mean much to joe schmoe wrestling fan. He knows he is the man in Japan but can he do that here? He didn't walk into Japan and was annointed the next one he worked his ass off and became a great wrestler/character and earned his push. Question is can he do that in the WWE on the big stage. Thats what he has to prove. And yes he will miss out on wrestling Japanes guys so its a catch 22. I just think as above he already did a ton in Japan. Whats next a 7 star match with Okada?

Why do you think he cares about Joe Schmoe wrestling fan? that's the problem, you continuously push our values. Oh no, he hasn't proven anything to the American mainstream audience, so what? that means those people are missing out. Just like they missed out on plenty of other great wrestling because they only watch WWE. Again, that's fine to be that person we're all free to watch and enjoy what we want, but there's a bigger world out there than just WWE for those who want to enjoy it. WWE is not everything. That's part of what Omega wants to show.

If he won at the dome he would of really created history, but NJPW decided they didn't want to make history. Politics is part of every fed. You don't think NJPW or ROH have their own politics. And even with politics the cream always rises to the top. And their are plenty of wrestlers outside of Reigns creating history in the WWE. Styles with his historic first year. Rollins being double champ. DBryan winning 2 matches in one night at Wrestlemania.

He already created history win or not, you're saying there's not much more he can achieve there, but then you're questioning if he's creating history. Doesn't add up. Of course they have their own politics, but it doesn't appear as blatant as WWE. Saying the cream always rises isn't really true because hello Bray Wyatt. A world where someone as talented as Wyatt isn't treated as better than Reigns says everything. Cool, they all made their own history, Omega is creating the history he wants. Some people grow up dreaming of working at Mania, he didn't. Bryan the crowd had to force them to do something with, remember when he was being treated like crap on NXT? when he was the best in ring talent in the world? exactly.

Look its up to Omega what he wants to do I just think you have bought into this anti-WWE narrative a bit much. All feds are a bunch of carneys looking to take marks for a ride. Wrestling is wrestling. Amazing matches happen in the WWE. If Omega wants to make some nice coin and put his name on the map in NA then go to the WWE and prove you can work your way up.

I'm not even anti-WWE, I'm pro-choice, pro-options, pro-wrestling. WWE has its place, so do these other options. WWE is what it is, and it obviously appeals to many, but I've long seen better in ring wrestling elsewhere. WWE has their things that they are the best in the world at too, the presentation etc. A lot of people want and need that and that's fine, different strokes for different folks. Yes WWE has had some great matches, often with people who were putting on fantastic matches before they got there. He's already making some "nice coin" and for wrestling fans in NA he's firmly entrenched on the map. Yes, there's a difference between "WWE fans" and "wrestling fans", and yes some people are both. Again there's no issue with that, some people watch WWE because it is WWE, it's what they grew up on, it's what most "wrestling fans" started with. Some people watch wrestling.

Personally I actually think he is better off staying in NJPW the more I think about it. Unless he wants to do the NXT thing I don't think he can walk onto the main roster and be a main even player right away like Styles was able to do. So he would have to work hard and work his way up. I don't doubt he could do it, but he is already at the top in NJPW so if he is comfortable there then so be it.

The only reason he wouldn't be able to go straight to the top of the WWE ladder is if the WWE didn't let him.

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Omega and NJPW benefit a lot from getting limited exposure. It's like NXT from 3 years ago, everything was fresh and exciting and new with completely different presentation. But then the novelty wore off, and NXT isn't special anymore. There were like 3-4 takeovers a year but now I feel like we get one every 6-8 weeks.

When you only watch something a few times a year and it's good every time, people love it. Especially when they're the brilliant main event climax season-finale kind of shows like Takeover and WrestleKingdom. But when you see it every week it quickly becomes stale. You get bogged down with filler and suddenly the average quality gets deflated.

man don't compare NXT to NJPW again, ok

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The only reason he wouldn't be able to go straight to the top of the WWE ladder is if the WWE didn't let him.

I don't disagree with all your points but to say there is wrestling and WWE ? Wrestling is Wrestling. WWE guys have all come from that indy background and wrestle the same matches and style now. If there is a slight difference in style its because the WWE didn't catch up just yet but they will.

As far as moves, outside of piledrivers (which is a safety issue) and the curb stomp (which is associated with NAZI's) which moves are banned? Watch Cena vs Owens/Styles to see all the MOVEZ in the match.

And WWE is working hard to bring attention to wrestling with things like the CWC and UK title tournament. Seems like WWE has some sort of relationship with Evolve and some UK indys too. I would say WWE is doing a lot more than NJPW to shine a spotlight on the larger wrestling world and I expect that to continue as the network is a great platform.

And the WWE did kill any chance of competition. Look at NJPW they started their own streaming service, they aren't trying to sell 40$ PPV's to the American audience. Even if Omega became Austin like with ROH they still wouldn't be able to compete with WWE because no one will pay 40$ for a PPV anymore. So unless another org can match the WWE network there will never be another war like we saw with WCW vs WWE. Maybe NJPWworld can become a huge sucsess and get 1 million subscribers. But thats the only way a company can "beat" the WWE monopoly.

As far as Omega making it in the WWE. Lets not forget that he had to toil in NJPW for a while as a JR and wasn't pushed straight to the top either. Or its ok for NJPW to not push their guys right away and to job them out at the biggest show of the year?

Good for Omega let him work Japan he is comfortable there and its always been his dream. If he wants to help NJPW expand then more power to him. I wish him the best.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I don't disagree with all your points but to say there is wrestling and WWE ? Wrestling is Wrestling. WWE guys have all come from that indy background and wrestle the same matches and style now. If there is a slight difference in style its because the WWE didn't catch up just yet but they will.

As far as moves, outside of piledrivers (which is a safety issue) and the curb stomp (which is associated with NAZI's) which moves are banned? Watch Cena vs Owens/Styles to see all the MOVEZ in the match.

And WWE is working hard to bring attention to wrestling with things like the CWC and UK title tournament. Seems like WWE has some sort of relationship with Evolve and some UK indys too. I would say WWE is doing a lot more than NJPW to shine a spotlight on the larger wrestling world and I expect that to continue as the network is a great platform.

And the WWE did kill any chance of competition. Look at NJPW they started their own streaming service, they aren't trying to sell 40$ PPV's to the American audience. Even if Omega became Austin like with ROH they still wouldn't be able to compete with WWE because no one will pay 40$ for a PPV anymore. So unless another org can match the WWE network there will never be another war like we saw with WCW vs WWE. Maybe NJPWworld can become a huge sucsess and get 1 million subscribers. But thats the only way a company can "beat" the WWE monopoly.

As far as Omega making it in the WWE. Lets not forget that he had to toil in NJPW for a while as a JR and wasn't pushed straight to the top either. Or its ok for NJPW to not push their guys right away and to job them out at the biggest show of the year?

Good for Omega let him work Japan he is comfortable there and its always been his dream. If he wants to help NJPW expand then more power to him. I wish him the best.

I said there's "wrestling fans" and there's "WWE fans" so you've clearly missed the point there. A number of people just watch WWE, they have no interest in anything else, that's fine each to their own. Then you have people who are wrestling fans, they'll watch a variety of things, there's very much a distinction there. The WWE brand is responsible for a lot of viewers spanning multiple generations. There's nothing insulting about this differentiation, don't get cut up over it.

It isn't even a case of being "banned", we barely even see suplexes nowadays in WWE without Brock. You see more technical moves outside the WWE, you see much more aerial stuff outside WWE. You can't even really get a powerbomb in WWE. Go watch some of these other shows and see the difference. The chains and sequences you see out of WWE are much better. That's just not the product they put out. Which again is fine, I don't slight WWE for that, they have their own approach, but from a strictly in ring perspective, removing all other factors, the best wrestling does not happen there. Conversely, in aspects like presentation they are completely on their own level.

It isn't about shining a light on the entire wrestling world, it's about creating a wrestling world beyond the WWE universe. Surprise, WWE reaching it's tentacles out further does not help with that.

It doesn't have to be WCW level "competition" it's about wrestling fans having choices, you're missing the point again.

He isn't a junior now is he so that seems a pretty silly statement. We are talking about Omega now and the idea of that Omega in WWE today where he is every bit the established proven commodity. Trying to slight NJPW by saying they jobbed him out at WK is a really desperate shot. He was in the biggest match on the giant card, only one guy can win, it's not something at all to try call NJPW out on.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I said there's "wrestling fans" and there's "WWE fans" so you've clearly missed the point there. A number of people just watch WWE, they have no interest in anything else, that's fine each to their own. Then you have people who are wrestling fans, they'll watch a variety of things, there's very much a distinction there. The WWE brand is responsible for a lot of viewers spanning multiple generations. There's nothing insulting about this differentiation, don't get cut up over it.

It isn't even a case of being "banned", we barely even see suplexes nowadays in WWE without Brock. You see more technical moves outside the WWE, you see much more aerial stuff outside WWE. You can't even really get a powerbomb in WWE. Go watch some of these other shows and see the difference. The chains and sequences you see out of WWE are much better. That's just not the product they put out. Which again is fine, I don't slight WWE for that, they have their own approach, but from a strictly in ring perspective, removing all other factors, the best wrestling does not happen there. Conversely, in aspects like presentation they are completely on their own level.

It isn't about shining a light on the entire wrestling world, it's about creating a wrestling world beyond the WWE universe. Surprise, WWE reaching it's tentacles out further does not help with that.

It doesn't have to be WCW level "competition" it's about wrestling fans having choices, you're missing the point again.

He isn't a junior now is he so that seems a pretty silly statement. We are talking about Omega now and the idea of that Omega in WWE today where he is every bit the established proven commodity. Trying to slight NJPW by saying they jobbed him out at WK is a really desperate shot. He was in the biggest match on the giant card, only one guy can win, it's not something at all to try call NJPW out on.

This got off topic LOL.

Look all I am saying is WWE isn't this restrictive evil company that holds down talent. Pretty much 90% of WWE talent are these indy guys and they do all their indy moves. I just saw a power bomb last night. I saw a german suplex last week on 205 live. WWE right now wrestles ROH style matches from 5/10 years ago because the talent is from there. The more diverse talent they bring in the more the style will change. Thats why the CWC and UK tournament are good things as that is going to open the WWE to different styles that end up being incorporated into the ring work.

And there will always be choices, but its impossible for a true competitor to arise because no one is paying 40 bucks for a PPV when you can get one for 9.99. With no PPV revenu you cannot compete directly with the E.

And I don't know what NJPW's plan is with Omega, but they could of topped of the story and made him the man by having him win at the Dome. If DB lost at Mania you wouldn't say one man has to lose. If NJPW wants to do all that stuff that Omega is talking about then they should of put the title on him and let him run wild in leading the expansion. Okada has been in tons of main events already him losing wouldn't hurt. But again this could be part of their long storyline but I just feel it will lessen the impact when Omega does win. No one is hotter than him outside WWE right now, wouldn't it be better to have him be the champ rather than this "I need to reasses my career" storyline?

Anyways good for Omega. He can do his thing. As long as he is making money and happy its whats best for him. Not everyone is about the WWE and what that brings along with it. Travel, apperances, corporate attitudes etc...

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
This got off topic LOL.

Look all I am saying is WWE isn't this restrictive evil company that holds down talent. Pretty much 90% of WWE talent are these indy guys and they do all their indy moves. I just saw a power bomb last night. I saw a german suplex last week on 205 live. WWE right now wrestles ROH style matches from 5/10 years ago because the talent is from there. The more diverse talent they bring in the more the style will change. Thats why the CWC and UK tournament are good things as that is going to open the WWE to different styles that end up being incorporated into the ring work.

And there will always be choices, but its impossible for a true competitor to arise because no one is paying 40 bucks for a PPV when you can get one for 9.99. With no PPV revenu you cannot compete directly with the E.

And I don't know what NJPW's plan is with Omega, but they could of topped of the story and made him the man by having him win at the Dome. If DB lost at Mania you wouldn't say one man has to lose. If NJPW wants to do all that stuff that Omega is talking about then they should of put the title on him and let him run wild in leading the expansion. Okada has been in tons of main events already him losing wouldn't hurt. But again this could be part of their long storyline but I just feel it will lessen the impact when Omega does win. No one is hotter than him outside WWE right now, wouldn't it be better to have him be the champ rather than this "I need to reasses my career" storyline?

Anyways good for Omega. He can do his thing. As long as he is making money and happy its whats best for him. Not everyone is about the WWE and what that brings along with it. Travel, apperances, corporate attitudes etc...

It simply isn't true that the same moves and types of matches are happening no matter how many times you try to say so. The CWC and UK tournament are great, but they aren't a solution to what is being discussed.

Again it isn't about a true WCW level competitor it's about fans having choices and options and different things to see. People trying to produce and help these things is positive for wrestling and wrestlers, the only people who wouldn't want to embrace that are those weird portion of WWE fans who actively hate on anything not WWE

Again it's pretty weak to try slight NJPW for not having him win that match. The fact he was there to begin with is a huge deal.

Indeed.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It simply isn't true that the same moves and types of matches are happening no matter how many times you try to say so. The CWC and UK tournament are great, but they aren't a solution to what is being discussed.

If there are moves not being performed (that aren't head drops/piledriver varations) then its because those type of wrestlers haven't made it to the WWE yet. If Ricochet and Osprey signed with WWE I bet they would still do all their same spots.

Again it isn't about a true WCW level competitor it's about fans having choices and options and different things to see. People trying to produce and help these things is positive for wrestling and wrestlers, the only people who wouldn't want to embrace that are those weird portion of WWE fans who actively hate on anything not WWE

Fans have plenty of choices right now. IPPV's, local wrestling feds, flowsports OTT service, LU/TNA. The options are there. None of those options has a chance of being as big as the WWE because PPV business doesn't exsist anymore. No PPV mean no big money means no big bucks to sign top talents. So unless another organization can create a OTT service for 9.99 or better its impossible for an incumbent to come in and challenge the WWE. Choice will always be there as indies will never go away. 50-500 people in an armory or high school gym isn't WWE's audience.

Again it's pretty weak to try slight NJPW for not having him win that match. The fact he was there to begin with is a huge deal.

Indeed.

Well its just my opinion. NJPW blew a chance to create a star by putting the title on Omega and riding him as their new Ace. Okada has had plenty of shine already. IMHO its no different than DB jobbing at mania instead of winning the title. If Cena was champ and he beat Omega at next years mania after Omega won the IC and Rumble I think you would be singing a different tune than one guy has to lose etc..

Anyways I am convinced that Omega isn't coming over. Its up to him to do what he wants in the business. Let him continue to grow his brand. For his sake lets hope that he doesn't blow his chance at making big time money and in a year or two from now his popularity cooled down and WWE isn't offering 2.25 Million anymore. A guy like AJ Styles left TNA went to Japan and new the right time to cash in.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
If there are moves not being performed (that aren't head drops/piledriver varations) then its because those type of wrestlers haven't made it to the WWE yet. If Ricochet and Osprey signed with WWE I bet they would still do all their same spots.

Fans have plenty of choices right now. IPPV's, local wrestling feds, flowsports OTT service, LU/TNA. The options are there. None of those options has a chance of being as big as the WWE because PPV business doesn't exsist anymore. No PPV mean no big money means no big bucks to sign top talents. So unless another organization can create a OTT service for 9.99 or better its impossible for an incumbent to come in and challenge the WWE. Choice will always be there as indies will never go away. 50-500 people in an armory or high school gym isn't WWE's audience.

Well its just my opinion. NJPW blew a chance to create a star by putting the title on Omega and riding him as their new Ace. Okada has had plenty of shine already. IMHO its no different than DB jobbing at mania instead of winning the title. If Cena was champ and he beat Omega at next years mania after Omega won the IC and Rumble I think you would be singing a different tune than one guy has to lose etc..

Anyways I am convinced that Omega isn't coming over. Its up to him to do what he wants in the business. Let him continue to grow his brand. For his sake lets hope that he doesn't blow his chance at making big time money and in a year or two from now his popularity cooled down and WWE isn't offering 2.25 Million anymore. A guy like AJ Styles left TNA went to Japan and new the right time to cash in.

Again that simply isn't true. You think we see all of AJs repertoire? You think we saw all of DB? Just no.

And Omega is trying to strengthen one of those choices. What point are you trying to make? We all know WWE is the powerhouse brand, nobody is arguing that. You don't seem to understand the point here and why people may not just be resigned to defeat.

They already have created a star....

He already is making big time money....

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'm not the only one who thinks it's insane to say WWE doesn't restrict talent and the moves they do..right?

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The proof is readily available in their matches pre WWE.

WWE restricts them for multiple reasons and it's all understandable. The first is safety, there's a much bigger spotlight on WWE, concussion lawsuits, and a big injury is much more damaging to them and their image.

Second, WWE's style loves to be focused around those "signature moves". They're marketable, they're identifiable, they're easy to follow. Much of the WWE audience couldn't care less if someone like Malenko could do a hundred submissions for many people that isn't entertaining. Just like when I, as someone who only sporadically watches the UFC, don't really enjoy many of the intricacies or technicalities of it. I simply want to see big flashy moves to entertain me when I watch it, I don't care about the more technical elements, but I know many UFC fans who are much more into the sport enjoy watching those elements.

Thirdly, it's much easier on the bodies of guys who are working and on the road as much as they do to work a more limited style.

WWE tries to "tell a story" in its matches, whereas elsewhere matches are more focused on it being portrayed as a sport. WWE in its history has had numerous big name talents who used few moves because it wasn't the moves that mattered. So instead of Bryan the crazy ringmaster who knows a million moves and counters and combinations, it's more about Bryan being hearty, overcoming adversity etc. We don't hear about Cena's moves or technical prowess, we hear about Cena "overcoming the odds", because that's the focus, not the wrestling but the story.

Even Mr "five moves of doom" John Cena, if you turned him loose somewhere else he'd show that he can do much more than what he shows. I'm not saying he'd be Bryan like, but he's certainly got more up his sleeve.

There's also issues with size and who they are working with e.g. Jericho not doing the Lion tamer because it's just not practical to do so on many of the guys he worked with. Not everyone is capable of performing some of the spots that some members of the roster can do.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
As they've signed more guys who made their name on the indies and put them in prominent positions, they seem to have become more lenient on moves they allow and moves they don't, but there are definitely still restrictions.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
As they've signed more guys who made their name on the indies and put them in prominent positions, they seem to have become more lenient on moves they allow and moves they don't, but there are definitely still restrictions.

Thats what I am saying. If there are moves you don't see in the WWE now its because the talent isn't their to do the moves, but eventually they will be. Outside of safety reasons (things like piledrivers) there isn't a limit on moves.

WWE guys essentially wrestle indy/ROH style from a few years ago because thats where most WWE guys came from. In a few years the WWE style will evolve as different talents come in. There isn't some gulf between WWE and everything else where WWE isn't wrestling anymore.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Again that simply isn't true. You think we see all of AJs repertoire? You think we saw all of DB? Just no.

I just don't see a big difference in WWE wrestling and other wrestling. Yes Lucha has its own thing and Japan is a bit more strong style but in the end its wrestling. WWE guys can get all their spots in as long as its not neck/head dropping variant. Flips, dives, power bombs, suplex's, germans, dragons, top rope, tower of doom spots, etc... all these moves are done in WWE. AJ/Nak could wrestle the exact same match they wrestled last year in the dome in the WWE at mania if WWE booked it tomorrow outside of anything super neck dangerous.

And Omega is trying to strengthen one of those choices. What point are you trying to make? We all know WWE is the powerhouse brand, nobody is arguing that. You don't seem to understand the point here and why people may not just be resigned to defeat.

My only point is that with the network there is no way for another company to compete with the WWE because PPV is dead. Without PPV another fed cannot make big money. Can NJPW with its OTT service be enough to take on WWE, maybe I don't know. If another fed wants to have a chance to take on the WWE they don't need Omega or even the Rock or Austin in their prime. They need an OTT service and TV company to give them 100 Million dollars. Like I said though if Omega wants to try and raise the profile of NJPW good for him maybe they can make more inroads in NA then the past couple of years they were partnered with the biggest indie fed in NA. Working a bunch of NA indies is not going to change their fate outside of maybe drawing a decent crowd.

They already have created a star....

He already is making big time money....

He is a star in NJPW but could have been put over the top. I am sure he makes decent money, but is he making Cena/Rollins/Ambrose money? Well I don't have his tax returns so I don't know.

Just seems a double standard. Can't wait for when AJ loses to Cena at the rumble and all the talk about holding him down and what not. Yet when Omega jobs out at the biggest show of the year its "well one guy has to lose". So I guess Owens and AJ will be one guy has to lose right?

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Thats what I am saying. If there are moves you don't see in the WWE now its because the talent isn't their to do the moves, but eventually they will be. Outside of safety reasons (things like piledrivers) there isn't a limit on moves.

WWE guys essentially wrestle indy/ROH style from a few years ago because thats where most WWE guys came from. In a few years the WWE style will evolve as different talents come in. There isn't some gulf between WWE and everything else where WWE isn't wrestling anymore.

Except there clearly still is, or do you actually believe we are seeing the full arsenal of these guys? If you do, go watch more of them.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I just don't see a big difference in WWE wrestling and other wrestling. Yes Lucha has its own thing and Japan is a bit more strong style but in the end its wrestling. WWE guys can get all their spots in as long as its not neck/head dropping variant. Flips, dives, power bombs, suplex's, germans, dragons, top rope, tower of doom spots, etc... all these moves are done in WWE. AJ/Nak could wrestle the exact same match they wrestled last year in the dome in the WWE at mania if WWE booked it tomorrow outside of anything super neck dangerous.

My only point is that with the network there is no way for another company to compete with the WWE because PPV is dead. Without PPV another fed cannot make big money. Can NJPW with its OTT service be enough to take on WWE, maybe I don't know. If another fed wants to have a chance to take on the WWE they don't need Omega or even the Rock or Austin in their prime. They need an OTT service and TV company to give them 100 Million dollars. Like I said though if Omega wants to try and raise the profile of NJPW good for him maybe they can make more inroads in NA then the past couple of years they were partnered with the biggest indie fed in NA. Working a bunch of NA indies is not going to change their fate outside of maybe drawing a decent crowd.

He is a star in NJPW but could have been put over the top. I am sure he makes decent money, but is he making Cena/Rollins/Ambrose money? Well I don't have his tax returns so I don't know.

Just seems a double standard. Can't wait for when AJ loses to Cena at the rumble and all the talk about holding him down and what not. Yet when Omega jobs out at the biggest show of the year its "well one guy has to lose". So I guess Owens and AJ will be one guy has to lose right?

Except they don't. Further to that, look up the top ranked PWI matches each year or over the past decade, WWE doesn't exactly dominate it.

You're the one who keeps pumping up the nobody can compete with WWE line, nobody is debating that with you and saying somebody can beat them. The point, once again, is to have options for fans. That doesn't mean they have to beat WWE or even compete at a WCW level, it means strengthening and reinforcing the alternatives for those who want more or want something different.

He's already huge, NJPW have given him plenty in a short stretch of time and no doubt more will come.

Well Cena is on the verge of having the most titles ever and people have been crying exhaustion for years so a bit different. I don't view losing on a giant show in the main event as such a bad thing, even calling it jobbing is a bit rich really. People use jobbing in a negative context, but again someone has to win or lose. Omega will have his time, I think all Omega fans believe that, WWE fans don't quite have those beliefs because they've been force fed guys like Cena and Reigns despite how vocal they may be that they don't want them. Who is rolling their eyes that Omega lost exactly? There's a big difference between being disappointed your favourite lost and being dismayed that you keep getting fed things you don't want as a fan of the product.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

What are you talking about? You think we want these guys to be champion indefinitely? I just want good booking that doesn't insult my intelligence

Obviously, I wish we didn't waste 2 months with that Ellsworth stuff, but AJ has had one of the best first years in WWE history. Cena winning title 16 and tying Flair at Wrestlemania is great story, no matter who the current champion is.

Quite frankly Cena deserves it after all the work he's put in for the company. This current incarnation of Cena is the best one we've seen since Thuganomics, even the most bitter of internet smarks will tell you this Cena is more tolerable than anything we saw out of him 2006-2013.

Owens, again, has had the title for 6 months. And, again, I wish they didn't make him look like such a chump against Reigns. But he's been one of the only bright spots on a pretty bad Raw program for some time now.

Let Owens drop the title to Rollins, Balor, Jericho, Strowman, I don't care as long as it makes sense. Having Roman hulk up and no sell everything FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW doesn't make sense, it's dumb and insults my intelligence as a fan. Titles come and go, we all know how this business works. Just give me something to care about.

Omega and Okada, like has been mentioned before, the book isn't written on these guys left. There's still more story to tell. Omega is already a mega star for that company. The title is a formality for him at this point. Why not make Okada look more credible? The fact he got a successful baby face title defense in the main event of WK on a card that saw Tanahashi lose is an enormous vote of confidence in Okada. His place as the top baby face in this company is secure for another 10 years, if that's the direction they choose to go in. And Kenny didn't look any worse.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
LOL @ the notion that WWE can just go shopping for talent whenever they want, and everyone is just lining up to work that insane schedule.

Omega's already a superstar in Japan, why would he give that up?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
LOL @ the notion that WWE can just go shopping for talent whenever they want, and everyone is just lining up to work that insane schedule.

Omega's already a superstar in Japan, why would he give that up?
'Cos WWE can give him a **** ton more money. NJPW have no money at all, they can't even pretend to be able to compete. WWE is on such a different level they're not even playing the same game as NJPW.

If WWE will offer it off the bat is a different question. But even if they don't, the potential money from WWE is very much a real thing. It's not some "maybe you'll make it someday if you try really really hard" kind of thing, it's a "it's right there on the table, go be a star and we'll give you it" kind of thing.

The difference is enough to make people think about it. As much as fans will champion the idea of staying in Japan doing what he's doing, once you're talking in the seven digits in what is a short career things do change. Money does talk, even if you don't want it to.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They definitely line up. If WWE can pull in Omega with all the things he has said about then, that will only confirm it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Seth Rollins casually mentioned Kenny Omega like it was nothing in a WWE.com video "Pop Question" about who they want to see as a surprise entrant in the Rumble lmao.

Stop teasing me with the idea of being able to watch Omega easily every week, WWE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad