If the Dorion trades Karlsson what should fans do?

What should they do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ek is my favorite player, but I'm okay with trading Karl if the deal makes sense. Sens are my favourite team and I wont disrespect the franchise. I want a balanced team that can compete, not a 12m hall of famer surrounded by million dollar scrubs.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Ek is my favorite player, but I'm okay with trading Karl if the deal makes sense. Sens are my favourite team and I wont disrespect the franchise. I want a balanced team that can compete, not a 12m hall of famer surrounded by million dollar scrubs.
If trading Karlsson was entirely management’s decision and made sense, that’s a different story. If they didn’t want to re-sign him, it would suck but ok at least there is a plan or something.

That’s not happening right now.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think people should sell out the CTC for the rest of the season to show that we still support the players. Fans shouldn't buy food, Drinks, buy Sens Merch, They should car pool to the max, not go to Bert's bar or buy concert tickets. Melnyk won't be able to cry about not enough ticket sales but the message by not spending anymore money will have a bigger impact. Having 18000 fans chanting Melnyk sucks would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Sens fan before Melnyk, Sens fan after. Just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Buckle up.
we're all SENS fans...I just can't take this mediocrity any longer...Trading our Captain and best player...no free agent will ever want to come to this team...it has become a joke organization.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
we're all SENS fans...I just can't take this mediocrity any longer...Trading our Captain and best player...no free agent will ever want to come to this team...it has become a joke organization.

we haven't traded anyone yet. more importantly though this year and this year alone Karlsson is part of the problem and not our best player and here's that hoards thing...AINEC.

I don't know what happened with the room incident...if Karlsson was involved does that change things? I've been thinking about that for a bit...not sure what I think

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
we haven't traded anyone yet. more importantly though this year and this year alone Karlsson is part of the problem and not our best player and here's that hoards thing...AINEC.

I don't know what happened with the room incident...if Karlsson was involved does that change things? I've been thinking about that for a bit...not sure what I think
the guy played with one leg in the playoffs, and realistically should have won another Norris. The guy has serious surgery and doesn't skate all summer...I think I'll give the guy a pass this year...

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Tampa fan coming in peace.

"The Dorion" cracked me up.

If he trades Karlsson, no one will blame you if you wash yourselves from the franchise. Ownership has torn the team apart in less than a year through outright incompetence and insane moves (Duchene acquisition no doubt started this).

If Karlsson is moved to TB, hop on the TB bandwagon and cheer your boy on to win a cup or two.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Just a hunch, but I think EK is fine, but fed up.

He was simply dominant in the big event outdoor game and in Sweden.

I know it makes it more difficult to assess the risk of signing him long-term, but my guess is he goes off once freed from Melnyk.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the guy played with one leg in the playoffs, and realistically should have won another Norris. The guy has serious surgery and doesn't skate all summer...I think I'll give the guy a pass this year...

definitely he gets a pass...not saying otherwise

but I'm not sure I'd give him an 80 M contract without him demonstrating he is who he was

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Go to bars to watch the games, support the team, not the business. The money you would have put in Melnyk's pocket goes into some else's. This shows potential buyers that there is still money to be made in the team, and pushes Melnyk closer to selling.

This is a good idea.
Not on board with jersey burning. That stuff is polyester man, you'll likely turn into a living torch, plus it's terrible for the environment.
We declined to renew our package and will wait and see if Karlsson is back to make further decisions.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I wanted two things to happen this year.
Trade Dion and Ryan.

We're half way there!

If EK wants 11/12M a year, let someone else pay it. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Are we seeing the new EK because of the injuries, or is he so unhappy that it's affecting his play? Either way no team should pay 12M to one player.

Regardless of what EM says, we're not a budget team. Not on salaries. They spend enough, just not in the right places.
Getting rid of Dion and Ryan allows the team to spend 14.5m properly.

What EM has too do to have a chance in hell of turning this around is:
1. Start with goodwill. Bring back Lydon for the last game, and announce he's back.
Sprinkle in Mary Jane everyone once in while. She's easy on the eyes and a great singer.

2. Bring parking and concessions down to reasonable levels. Traffic in this city over the last couple of years has been a nightmare on weekdays.
Make it a little easier to bring people out.

3. Have family packages. Real family packages. Not the ones that "start at" $133.33. Take the tarps off and make it the family zones. $100 flat (no including parking). 2 Adults, 2 kids. 4 hot dogs and 4 medium drinks. Ottawa is a family town. I'm a die hard, but the difference from 10 years ago is I have a growing family with responsibilities and a budget. I'd sit with my family in the nose bleeds. Most kids just want to be there, they don't care where they sit. For $100, I'd take my kids to 2/3 games a year.

4. Be upfront, but diplomatic. Acknowledge that the team isn't built to be a contender, and a shift was needed.

My honest assessment is we went to the finals with one of the best forward lines ever assembled, and the rest were 3rd/4th liners.
Since then we've been up and down. We had a miracle run that ended in the 1st round of the playoffs then reality hit the next season.
Last year the stars aligned. The season overall was consistent, but we stumbled when we got into the playoffs. When Methot went down there was a noticeable difference.
We ended up with a favorable matchup in the 1st/2nd rounds. We had a Bruins team that was injury riddled, and a NYR team that should have beat us. We took the Pens to 7, but most of those games we'd hang back and pray to god Andy made 10-bell save after 10-bell save, and scored timely goals. It was a fun ride, but this has to be done right.

5. Bring back Cyril. Ottawa is a big-small town. You can't piss off the wrong people. This town gossips.

6. He needs to stop talking about money. Him and Dorion. When Phaneuf was traded he smirked, and said "we saved a bit of money".
Just stop talking and make it all about hockey. People making 50-60k, don't care about millionaires complaining about money.
I would have traded Dion for a paperclip to get him off the books.

That's all I got for now.
Peace.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I wanted two things to happen this year.
Trade Dion and Ryan.

We're half way there!

If EK wants 11/12M a year, let someone else pay it. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Are we seeing the new EK because of the injuries, or is he so unhappy that it's affecting his play? Either way no team should pay 12M to one player.

Regardless of what EM says, we're not a budget team. Not on salaries. They spend enough, just not in the right places.
Getting rid of Dion and Ryan allows the team to spend 14.5m properly.

What EM has too do to have a chance in hell of turning this around is:
1. Start with goodwill. Bring back Lydon for the last game, and announce he's back.
Sprinkle in Mary Jane everyone once in while. She's easy on the eyes and a great singer.

2. Bring parking and concessions down to reasonable levels. Traffic in this city over the last couple of years has been a nightmare on weekdays.
Make it a little easier to bring people out.

3. Have family packages. Real family packages. Not the ones that "start at" $133.33. Take the tarps off and make it the family zones. $100 flat (no including parking). 2 Adults, 2 kids. 4 hot dogs and 4 medium drinks. Ottawa is a family town. I'm a die hard, but the difference from 10 years ago is I have a growing family with responsibilities and a budget. I'd sit with my family in the nose bleeds. Most kids just want to be there, they don't care where they sit. For $100, I'd take my kids to 2/3 games a year.

4. Be upfront, but diplomatic. Acknowledge that the team isn't built to be a contender, and a shift was needed.

My honest assessment is we went to the finals with one of the best forward lines ever assembled, and the rest were 3rd/4th liners.
Since then we've been up and down. We had a miracle run that ended in the 1st round of the playoffs then reality hit the next season.
Last year the stars aligned. The season overall was consistent, but we stumbled when we got into the playoffs. When Methot went down there was a noticeable difference.
We ended up with a favorable matchup in the 1st/2nd rounds. We had a Bruins team that was injury riddled, and a NYR team that should have beat us. We took the Pens to 7, but most of those games we'd hang back and pray to god Andy made 10-bell save after 10-bell save, and scored timely goals. It was a fun ride, but this has to be done right.

5. Bring back Cyril. Ottawa is a big-small town. You can't piss off the wrong people. This town gossips.

6. He needs to stop talking about money. Him and Dorion. When Phaneuf was traded he smirked, and said "we saved a bit of money".
Just stop talking and make it all about hockey. People making 50-60k, don't care about millionaires complaining about money.
I would have traded Dion for a paperclip to get him off the books.

That's all I got for now.
Peace.
At the end of the Day if we can get a great return for Karlsson I won't be mad. We better be getting back a player who will be our #1 center for the next 8 years at a ppg though.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I won't be pleased. Spezza was heading down the road to being done, Alfie was a mistake, but he was old, this is a guy in his prime. Unless he wants out, we should be paying him 12 mil times 8 years.

Reactions: pepty and billpo

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I won't be pleased. Spezza was heading down the road to being done, Alfie was a mistake, but he was old, this is a guy in his prime. Unless he wants out, we should be paying him 12 mil times 8 years.

Look at Chicago. Without Hossa going on LTIR, they'd be in cap hell. They gave Kane and Toews what 12m +?
They won't be winning any more Cups with that formula. At least they won Cups before they were handed those deals.

Sid has taken 8.7m his whole career so his team has a chance every year.

The team has to be smart, even with a generational player like EK.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Look at Chicago. Without Hossa going on LTIR, they'd be in cap hell. They gave Kane and Toews what 12m +?
They won't be winning any more Cups with that formula. At least they won Cups before they were handed those deals.

Sid has taken 8.7m his whole career so his team has a chance every year.

The team has to be smart, even with a generational player like EK.
Agreed, but between malkin and cros they're spending 20 and between Karlsson and Duchene, we'd be spending roughly the same. I think we can manage without many issues with the core of the team Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Chabot.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
It really depends on what comes back in the trade. Maybe we end up with a pick or prospect that turns out to be EK version #2.

Whatever happens I'll keep watching even if it's to yell at the TV.

StutzleTheGoat

Feb 24, 2018
Anyone going to the game tomorrow should start a ''Keep Our Captain'' chant every time there is 6:50 left in the period. ForeverKarl !!!

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
It really depends on what comes back in the trade. Maybe we end up with a pick or prospect that turns out to be EK version #2.

Whatever happens I'll keep watching even if it's to yell at the TV.
And how long until he peaks and we're forced to trade him for financial reasons?

We're one year off a run to the conference finals. If now was not the time to spend, when will it be?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

If Karlsson was traded, we might as well trade Duchene with him. Because Duchene ain't staying if Karlsson is gone. You're correct. Our franchise would be a joke and I would sell every Jersey I have and stop watching hockey. Karlsson should get paid.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Just so we're clear Eug - Karl for another top end talent +we're OK, I and thousands of others renew.

Karl for some ok talent and draft picks and general cheapness - Forbes value drops $150, because you're a totally self-absorbed idiot.

Clear?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
And how long until he peaks and we're forced to trade him for financial reasons?

We're one year off a run to the conference finals. If now was not the time to spend, when will it be?

We're not trading EK for financial reasons. We're not looking to be a cap floor team (though if everyone stops going that's where we'll end up I'm sure). Reshuffling resources doesn't mean we can't afford him, it means it may not be prudent to, given his comments about asking price and his current level of play.

Also, even though it could still be used to slam EM, people seem to avoid looking at the concept that EK may not want to extend here, and may have made this known. His play this season certainly look's like that of a player who has checked out on most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad