If the Dorion trades Karlsson what should fans do?

What should they do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Karlsson was traded, we might as well trade Duchene with him. Because Duchene ain't staying if Karlsson is gone. You're correct. Our franchise would be a joke and I would sell every Jersey I have and stop watching hockey. Karlsson should get paid.

Duchene just mentioned that he's down to stay

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Can I get it in writing that all you fairweather fans are gone forever on monday if he's traded? That's a major plus for the team right there. You're a cancer in the cheapseats. Addition by subtraction.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Just so we're clear Eug - Karl for another top end talent +we're OK, I and thousands of others renew.

Karl for some ok talent and draft picks and general cheapness - Forbes value drops $150, because you're a totally self-absorbed idiot.

Clear?
Except it won't drop the value at all with Lebreton on the horizon. That's why he's burning it down over the next couple of years.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I’m only gonna be mad if it’s a Spezza type trade that gets us a 4th line scrub.

We need someone with elite/franchise potential back as an absolute minimum.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I’m only gonna be mad if it’s a Spezza type trade that gets us a 4th line scrub.

We need someone with elite/franchise potential back as an absolute minimum.

That's exactly what we're going to get.

Karlsson is going to a cup contender. No team seriously gunning for a cup and playing well is going to gut their team and get rid of key players. We are going to get rid of Karlsson and Ryan and get back some picks and prospects who aren't playing in the NHL. It's laughable that some people think we're going to get back guys like Serg or even Point.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Only thing Melnyk cares about and the only way to hurt him is to hit his wallet. Just stop spending money on Senators.

Reactions: Razlo

TrevSens

Jan 18, 2016
From here on out no matter what happens with Karl we need to make a statement that Melnyk needs to go. The most powerful statement honestly is a full house emptying out during play, say at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd period. It shows were good fans capable of filling the building consistently and also shows visually the message with TV cameras capturing the building emptying out during play. Just not showing up or buying tickets give Melnyk a leg to stand on to bash the Ottawa market.we don't want to give that guy anything to complain about regarding our support financially. The rest of this season is our playoffs now. Our chance to send our message not only to Melnyk but to the rest of the hockey world that we NEED change in management here.

Reactions: billpo

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No one is untouchable. Karlsson should get an 8 year 90 million dollar contract but if Ottawa cannot afford it--why not?-or if Karlsson wants more or just wants to leave or the offer blows your doors off then you deal. Great players have been traded. Just make sure your team gets better not worse.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This can be eased by a great return and the extension of the other franchise player - Duchene, but what madness this has become. Damn.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
We went for it with EK already. The Sens have made big, big moves in an attempt to surround EK with talent to win with him in his prime.

- We overpaid for Ryan in the trade and retaining him b/c those were going for it now kinda moves. The idea was to get the best player in the trade. Wrong or right - that was the idea.

- In the Phaneuf deal it was about moving money AND getting the best player in the trade to settle the top four 'right now.'

- We traded Zibby for Brassard, were even willing to overpay with the picks exchanged there, b/c the thinking was we were getting the better player for a play-off push and for 'right now.'

- Extended Andy b/c he was the best goalie we've ever had and our best chance to win now. Traded Lehner b/c we were all in with Andy while we had EK.

That was the plan. It almost worked. Even though I was against every single one of those moves... I was wrong - proved wrong b/c their plan almost worked. It turned out to not be such a bad idea in the short term after all. The team that was built was a Stanley Cup contender. That was what they were trying to do. I had a different vision than their plan, so I didn't like their moves, but I can't really argue that their plan didn't work.

But it didn't win and here we are trying to deal with the aftermath.

And the new plan seems to be, and I like it in theory, we need to build around a franchise center. The new plan started when they didn't protect Methot. I thought that was idiotic... but I thought we were building around EK still. We aren't. And then we moved Turris in a deal where we overpaid for Duchene. I thought we really overpaid... but I guess the thinking is we'll get those pieces back (and then some... god I hope and then some) when we move EK. Because the plan is, I think, to move EK. Because Duchene is the new plan. Because you win in the NHL with teams built around centers and the Sens think those centers are Duchene-Brown-White-and some players to be named later if his name isn't Pageau. The next group of Sens centers.

I think we can honestly admit that the management did their best to surround EK with the team to win. That was the best they could do. They were close. Closer than I thought they'd get. The Cup run took me by surprise - but it was by design.

If the Sens trade EK it will also be by design. It's an incredible development, and took me by surprise, but it's been in the works for a while now and, as before, I'm probably just coming up to speed on the plan.

Now, if the Sens trade Hoff... I'll be really confused and I'll be sitting here scratching my head wondering what's going on. If they keep EK I'd guess it'll be b/c they didn't get the right offer and will try again sometime before his contract runs out.

But to answer the OP's question, "What should fans do if Dorion trades Karlsson?" I can only speak for myself (an out of town fan) but I'm going to grab a beer, sit back, cheer for the Sens, and see what happens. Because I've been pleasantly surprised before.

Reactions: thinkwild

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol what else do you think he's gonna say?

Duchene doesn't need his name coming up in trade rumours everyday again.

Ok, so let me get this straight. We take all of the negative comments at face value, and all of the positive comments as lies.

EK checked out a while back, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that several guys are happy for him to be traded so that the team can move on from the distraction. EK clearly stopped playing for the jersey and subsequently his team mates. I don't blame EK for wanting out, he's a grown man who is entitled to make his life choices, but this team will live on when he's gone, and It's reasonable to think that there are guys in the room that want to step up and lead this NHL team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He wants to win a cup.... Not happening here anytime soon

Everyone wants to win a cup, he's not a playoff rental, he wanted out of Colorodo, is close to home, and seems to be happy here. I could be wrong, and definitely am on occasion, but I'll stick to going with the limited things he's said over speculation for now.

Guys get traded all the time, and the team picks up the pieces and moves on, I mean we've seen guys get stripped of their captaincy and stay on the squad. I have a feeling Stone is looking to be the captain of the team, and the room dynamic will change into something that very well could be positive.

Just because EK wants to leave doesn't mean everyone else does, he's not the pied piper, he's a super star who checked out on the team (I don't want to get into criticizing his reasons or anything).

Reactions: thinkwild

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sens fan before Karlsson, Sens fan after Karlsson.

Ottawa Senator Fans don't have to like who or who is not traded.... going out, or coming in.

They can be pissed off, or cheer, but in the end they'll get past it, altough some "fans" will not, and will continue to hold a grudge against the Owner/Coach/GM

Fans will continue to support the Senators.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I’d be down for throwing my jerseys on the ice, but that means I’d be paying for a ticket which I refuse to do.

I’m 98% done with this team. What a joke, 1 goal from the final to full on rebuild in less than 12 months...

So all talk, but no action?

Oct 10, 2010
This can be eased by a great return and the extension of the other franchise player - Duchene, but what madness this has become. Damn.
don't kid yourself expect an announcement on a Stone extension the minute Karlsson is traded to try and take away from negative press. This is how they do business.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion isn't trading EK, Melnyck is.

Dorion's a very smart hockey mind, he'd never trade EK if he was running a sane NHL team.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So all talk, but no action?
Sorry Eugene, my action (if it wasn’t clear enough) is not spending a dollar on your stupid team. I used to attend an average of a dozen games a year, bought a few authentic jerseys (not the cheaper premier ones) and bought other merchandise (hats, shirts...) pretty regularly.

So far, I’ve spent $0 on the Sens over the past 2 seasons (other than subbing to TSN which I would do anyway). Not another dollar to this team until you’re gone!

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->