If the Dorion trades Karlsson what should fans do?

What should they do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Do we even have mods anymore? There are like three identical Karlsson threads, three identical Melnyk threads, and a bunch of identical "all purpose bitch and moan" threads.

It's like the tsn.ca coverage of the Leafs in here.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Do we even have mods anymore? There are like three identical Karlsson threads, three identical Melnyk threads, and a bunch of identical "all purpose ***** and moan" threads.

Very little is more ironic than whining about people whining, yes?

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Which is what you're doing as well... And on the 'irony' rolls....

Not sure how me pointing out that someone else is whining constitutes whining. If it does, though, then by definition, wouldn't you also be whining by suggesting that I am whining to be pointing out that another person is whining?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure how me pointing out that someone else is whining constitutes whining. If it does, though, then by definition, wouldn't you also be whining by suggesting that I am whining to be pointing out that another person is whining?

You got it! Hehe, just some levity :)

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
You got it! Hehe, just some levity :)

Fair enough. As long as I understand.

Regardless, I think that at this point, whining about how things have gone this season is perfectly understandable. We went from game 7 double OT in our conference final to bottom 3 in the league and about to trade the best player we've ever had on the team because our owner has successfully made it all about his wallet. If that doesn't cause a negative emotional response from someone, then I would question if they actually are fans of this team.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fair enough. As long as I understand.

Regardless, I think that at this point, whining about how things have gone this season is perfectly understandable. We went from game 7 double OT in our conference final to bottom 3 in the league and about to trade the best player we've ever had on the team because our owner has successfully made it all about his wallet. If that doesn't cause a negative emotional response from someone, then I would question if they actually are fans of this team.

I totally agree, there is a truck ton of misery to go around. Personally I have avoided paying much attention to EM drama, I don't much care for it as an out of town fan. I have been very disappointed with EK this season, and it makes a ton of sense to me to learn that he has wanted out for a while now.

Given this I'm just looking forward to what we can get for him and move on. If you're not tuned into the surrounding noise there is a lot to be excited about when looking at a rebuild when we also have some really nice prospects and players staying around.

I guess I take what I want and need from NHL patronage. I get one game a year, soon two when Seattle gets their team. EM will be gone eventually, and the team will roll on.

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I totally agree, there is a truck ton of misery to go around. Personally I have avoided paying much attention to EM drama, I don't much care for it as an out of town fan. I have been very disappointed with EK this season, and it makes a ton of sense to me to learn that he has wanted out for a while now.

Given this I'm just looking forward to what we can get for him and move on. If you're not tuned into the surrounding noise there is a lot to be excited about when looking at a rebuild when we also have some really nice prospects and players staying around.

I guess I take what I want and need from NHL patronage. I get one game a year, soon two when Seattle gets their team. EM will be gone eventually, and the team will roll on.

Makes sense. To be honest, I think Karlsson's language in his recent interviews tells the tale.

When asked about guys being traded, he points out that "its a business". Businesses are about money. Ideally, I would think we would all want our captain thinking of the organisation as a team, not as a business.

But with people being moved out for money reasons (Turris, for example), its been made apparent that at least SOME of the decisions about the team are based on money, and EK is a pretty smart guy. He's probably picked up on that, and might just have checked out emotionally, given that the owner isn't emotionally invested in the success of the team.

Pure speculation, of course.

Oct 10, 2010
Mark my word quote me if you like but jersey's will 100% be thrown on the ice with a special message written on them for Melnyk.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Tampa fan coming in peace.

"The Dorion" cracked me up.

If he trades Karlsson, no one will blame you if you wash yourselves from the franchise. Ownership has torn the team apart in less than a year through outright incompetence and insane moves (Duchene acquisition no doubt started this).

If Karlsson is moved to TB, hop on the TB bandwagon and cheer your boy on to win a cup or two.

No. I'm a sens fan

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
We went for it with EK already. The Sens have made big, big moves in an attempt to surround EK with talent to win with him in his prime.

- We overpaid for Ryan in the trade and retaining him b/c those were going for it now kinda moves. The idea was to get the best player in the trade. Wrong or right - that was the idea.

- In the Phaneuf deal it was about moving money AND getting the best player in the trade to settle the top four 'right now.'

- We traded Zibby for Brassard, were even willing to overpay with the picks exchanged there, b/c the thinking was we were getting the better player for a play-off push and for 'right now.'

- Extended Andy b/c he was the best goalie we've ever had and our best chance to win now. Traded Lehner b/c we were all in with Andy while we had EK.

That was the plan. It almost worked. Even though I was against every single one of those moves... I was wrong - proved wrong b/c their plan almost worked. It turned out to not be such a bad idea in the short term after all. The team that was built was a Stanley Cup contender. That was what they were trying to do. I had a different vision than their plan, so I didn't like their moves, but I can't really argue that their plan didn't work.

But it didn't win and here we are trying to deal with the aftermath.

And the new plan seems to be, and I like it in theory, we need to build around a franchise center. The new plan started when they didn't protect Methot. I thought that was idiotic... but I thought we were building around EK still. We aren't. And then we moved Turris in a deal where we overpaid for Duchene. I thought we really overpaid... but I guess the thinking is we'll get those pieces back (and then some... god I hope and then some) when we move EK. Because the plan is, I think, to move EK. Because Duchene is the new plan. Because you win in the NHL with teams built around centers and the Sens think those centers are Duchene-Brown-White-and some players to be named later if his name isn't Pageau. The next group of Sens centers.

I think we can honestly admit that the management did their best to surround EK with the team to win. That was the best they could do. They were close. Closer than I thought they'd get. The Cup run took me by surprise - but it was by design.

If the Sens trade EK it will also be by design. It's an incredible development, and took me by surprise, but it's been in the works for a while now and, as before, I'm probably just coming up to speed on the plan.

Now, if the Sens trade Hoff... I'll be really confused and I'll be sitting here scratching my head wondering what's going on. If they keep EK I'd guess it'll be b/c they didn't get the right offer and will try again sometime before his contract runs out.

But to answer the OP's question, "What should fans do if Dorion trades Karlsson?" I can only speak for myself (an out of town fan) but I'm going to grab a beer, sit back, cheer for the Sens, and see what happens. Because I've been pleasantly surprised before.
when were you pleasantly surprised ?...last year(when the stars all aligned) ?...and before that...when ?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
We went for it with EK already. The Sens have made big, big moves in an attempt to surround EK with talent to win with him in his prime.

- We overpaid for Ryan in the trade and retaining him b/c those were going for it now kinda moves. The idea was to get the best player in the trade. Wrong or right - that was the idea.

- In the Phaneuf deal it was about moving money AND getting the best player in the trade to settle the top four 'right now.'

- We traded Zibby for Brassard, were even willing to overpay with the picks exchanged there, b/c the thinking was we were getting the better player for a play-off push and for 'right now.'

- Extended Andy b/c he was the best goalie we've ever had and our best chance to win now. Traded Lehner b/c we were all in with Andy while we had EK.

That was the plan. It almost worked. Even though I was against every single one of those moves... I was wrong - proved wrong b/c their plan almost worked. It turned out to not be such a bad idea in the short term after all. The team that was built was a Stanley Cup contender. That was what they were trying to do. I had a different vision than their plan, so I didn't like their moves, but I can't really argue that their plan didn't work.

But it didn't win and here we are trying to deal with the aftermath.

And the new plan seems to be, and I like it in theory, we need to build around a franchise center. The new plan started when they didn't protect Methot. I thought that was idiotic... but I thought we were building around EK still. We aren't. And then we moved Turris in a deal where we overpaid for Duchene. I thought we really overpaid... but I guess the thinking is we'll get those pieces back (and then some... god I hope and then some) when we move EK. Because the plan is, I think, to move EK. Because Duchene is the new plan. Because you win in the NHL with teams built around centers and the Sens think those centers are Duchene-Brown-White-and some players to be named later if his name isn't Pageau. The next group of Sens centers.

I think we can honestly admit that the management did their best to surround EK with the team to win. That was the best they could do. They were close. Closer than I thought they'd get. The Cup run took me by surprise - but it was by design.

If the Sens trade EK it will also be by design. It's an incredible development, and took me by surprise, but it's been in the works for a while now and, as before, I'm probably just coming up to speed on the plan.

Now, if the Sens trade Hoff... I'll be really confused and I'll be sitting here scratching my head wondering what's going on. If they keep EK I'd guess it'll be b/c they didn't get the right offer and will try again sometime before his contract runs out.

But to answer the OP's question, "What should fans do if Dorion trades Karlsson?" I can only speak for myself (an out of town fan) but I'm going to grab a beer, sit back, cheer for the Sens, and see what happens. Because I've been pleasantly surprised before.

They traded for Ryan a panic move because of the fiasco with Alfie and to try to assuage fans outrage, they overpaid for him because they gave up so many assets in the trade. Nothing to do with Karlsson.
For most of EK's time here he has been surrounded by mediocre players and yet he has played like a champion through serious injuries.
That BS narrative being flogged on Team 1200 about so many coaches is bogus as most of it occurred before Karlsson was here. For the coaches he played did play for, mostly mediocre to poor ,he was the one bright light that dragged the team to respectability.
Team 1200 continues their tradition of bowing can scraping to management and talking down players.
Ottawa does have a reputation around the league, a reputation for turning on and driving out their best players.This would top them all.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
We let Chara walk, we let Alfie walk, we will survive trading Karlsson. People always act like the crisis of the day is unprecedented.

I'd rather keep him and contend, but if we are a bottom barrel team again, I'd rather he go win himself a cup and build this team back up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Do we even have mods anymore? There are like three identical Karlsson threads, three identical Melnyk threads, and a bunch of identical "all purpose ***** and moan" threads.

Might be best to simply let folks vent right now. Release that steam before things explode.

I'm sure things will tighten down a bit after the trade deadline.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
We let Chara walk, we let Alfie walk, we will survive trading Karlsson. People always act like the crisis of the day is unprecedented.

I'd rather keep him and contend, but if we are a bottom barrel team again, I'd rather he go win himself a cup and build this team back up.
I agree that Ottawa will be fine. If traded to Tampa, you're going to get some really good assets that are going to hurt us in the long run, but any contender would pay the price for EK.

Still though, I like the thought of Cal Foote and Howden along with others on the young Sens. Just get rid of your front office if Karlsson is moved.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Alfie was not run out of town, he left on his own accord much to the unhappiness of everyone.
Hrm, can't say I have all the details and might be totally off here but wasn't the story that Alfie took a severe home town discount for several years while being promised to be made whole when the contract was going to be renewed?

Naive, sure, but also understandable that feelings might have been hurt when he got lowballed again in the next contract discussion?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sorry Eugene, my action (if it wasn’t clear enough) is not spending a dollar on your stupid team. I used to attend an average of a dozen games a year, bought a few authentic jerseys (not the cheaper premier ones) and bought other merchandise (hats, shirts...) pretty regularly.

So far, I’ve spent $0 on the Sens over the past 2 seasons (other than subbing to TSN which I would do anyway). Not another dollar to this team until you’re gone!
[mod]

It's ridiculous to even think that the owner of the Senators would even waste his time on this site, never mind creating an account and interacting with people like you and me.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, it might actually make sense to trade him. Lots of short-sightedness in here.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Alfie was not run out of town, he left on his own accord much to the unhappiness of everyone. EK has not been run out of town, Yashin ran himself out of town. Spezza was the only one who was run out of town by fans and media, and he wasn't captain for long.
Management ran them all out in some fashion.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hrm, can't say I have all the details and might be totally off here but wasn't the story that Alfie took a severe home town discount for several years while being promised to be made whole when the contract was going to be renewed?

Naive, sure, but also understandable that feelings might have been hurt when he got lowballed again in the next contract discussion?

I remember this as well, though that was from Alfie, Murray did not corroborate that. I like Alfie, I like and trust Murray, I didn't pick a side, but Alfie for sure could have stayed. I respect that he wanted a chance to win a cup though.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
I'm looking forward to moving my allegiance to EK's next team and hope I don't have to wait until the draft or longer. EM and the Senators get zero of my dollars going forward. And if by some strange twist EK remains a Sen, then I think I'm still done with this tire-fire of a franchise. Pathetic how it has been run in recent years. Good luck to them. God bless you all. Ottawa will always be a city I enjoy visiting, just not for NHL games.

Reactions: Rand0m
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->