Friedman: "If I'm the Edmonton Oilers, I'm calling the Montreal Canadiens and asking for Max Pacioretty"

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Obvious to everyone but Marc Bergevin. Trading for Weber and re-signing Price to that monster deal aren't rebuilding moves.

He might have offers from most of the league, but again, if what the Habs want is a legitimate top 6 centre and a blue chip prospect, no one in their right minds is going to offer that. Look how much trouble the Avs are having getting their reported asking price for Duchene.

Duchene hit 30goals one time, MPac regularly surpasses it and he makes less than Duchene. There aren't that many 30+ goal scorers in the league and even less available. Bergevins time with Montreal is probably drawing to a close, I would be very surprised if he is involved in any rebuild efforts. I guess if you're hoping MB will make another huge blunder that's possible but it's probably a long shot. The odds are they shop him around or keep him.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Obvious to everyone but Marc Bergevin. Trading for Weber and re-signing Price to that monster deal aren't rebuilding moves.

He might have offers from most of the league, but again, if what the Habs want is a legitimate top 6 centre and a blue chip prospect, no one in their right minds is going to offer that. Look how much trouble the Avs are having getting their reported asking price for Duchene.

Sakic is out of his tree....

For Landy the rumored ask is top-level defenseman, a first-round draft pick plus. And for Duchene its even more. Thats hardly a good comparable since patches is better than both of them and RNH and PJ is far less than the ask for either of them.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Pacioretty doesn't give us a few years, he gives us this year and next until he most likely prices himself out of here. Add that to the piles of problems with a potential deal.

why is that? it gives the Oilers this year and next. Maybe Patches enjoys winning more and having less pressure. Even if he goes to 7 million a year its better to have patches at 7 than RNH at 6

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
why is that? it gives the Oilers this year and next. Maybe Patches enjoys winning more and having less pressure. Even if he goes to 7 million a year its better to have patches at 7 than RNH at 6
A 7 million winger is a luxury the Oilers won't be able to have and his upcoming UFA status is not a risk they would want to take on. Certainly not at the price Habs fans expect them to pay for it.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
McDavid and Drai are already the best line in the league, why throw the ability to play them together away, especially in a deal we lose handily?

i Believe that Stamkos and Kucherov would have something to say about that. Also you don't lose a deal when you get by far the better player .

Reactions: dralaf and mikeyp24

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Point production wise, Eberle is 100% the player that Patches is. The rest of his game lags behind.

Secondly, heck yes it's overpaying. You think the Coyotes would give you Stepan and Strome for Patches? Not on your life.

Goal wise Eberle isn't even close to Patches let alone the rest of his game.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
RNH + 3rd for Pacioretty. Edmonton adds the pick because of the sweet contract he is on.

Then move Galchenyuk up the lineup on the LW.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I wouldn't mind Pacioretty, but I do have a few issues...

1) there are likely cheaper options like Nash, who bring a lot of the same assets to the table.
2) Why do you move RNH+, when a similar result could be attained just by playing him on Draisaitl or McDavid's wing. (an idea which during the few times it's been tried has looked good)

If Paches were a RH shot I'd be a lot warmer to the idea, but moving RNH for him just strikes me as re-arranging the deck chairs.

This team needs RH sniper. Eberle couldn't fit the role, and nor does Strome. Letestu can 1 time the puck, but that's about it. Slepyshev, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto all could maybe grow into the role, but they're not there now. Right now teams don't need to respect the entire LW side of the the zone when the Oil are on that PP, and that's allowing them to just pressure McDavid, Draisaitl, and Klefbom on the RW halfwall.

Not to say they're better players, but a Vrbata or Vanek would be a bigger help to this team than Pacioretty (or Nash), as their presence would force teams to actually cover the far side of the ice.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
The quote is clearly taken out of context. Friedman is assuming the Oilers are going for another 1st overall.

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
Kessel is much, much, much better than Pacioretty.

Pacioretty has proven this much: great regular season scorer, no show when things get rough.

I never said he was garbage.
Kessel is fast and a sniper. He is playing left wing on the 3rd line. Less responsibility and is sheltered which fits his skill set. Pacioretty may be playing as good as he can with the team mates that he has.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How about just getting some OK hockey players? So many guys on that roster that just don’t have a complete game. Almost shocking when you see them play.

But I recon Chia will keep getting away with anything. Like the only good move he made was for Talbot and that was a deal he came so close to screwing up since he rather threw that late first after Griffin Reinhardt that a starting goalie.

Anyway, the reason for why I thought of this thread was I think EDM should have zero interest in a PF like MaxPac, who isn’t the most complete player. They need to replace 4 players at least on that roster with capable NHLers. Capable 2 way players.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How about just getting some OK hockey players? So many guys on that roster that just don’t have a complete game. Almost shocking when you see them play.

But I recon Chia will keep getting away with anything. Like the only good move he made was for Talbot and that was a deal he came so close to screwing up since he rather threw that late first after Griffin Reinhardt that a starting goalie.

Anyway, the reason for why I thought of this thread was I think EDM should have zero interest in a PF like MaxPac, who isn’t the most complete player. They need to replace 4 players at least on that roster with capable NHLers. Capable 2 way players.

Pacioretty is a 2-way player...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why would Montreal trade their perennial 30+ goal captain for Jesse Puljujarvi?

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
The Habs already cannot score goals. They will NOT trade Pacioretty. Unless it is for another 30+ goals scorer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

You don't say.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Any Oilers fan that wanted Eberle gone for nothing based on last years playoffs should definitely not want anything to do with an RNH - Patches centric deal. Unless there was a reasonable excuse for Pacioretty's play last post-season that came out later (injury?).

The Oilers' LW is the least of their worries. IMO there is a correlation between the defence being a dumpster fire and a lack of scoring. Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl should be a dominant line in the NHL and aren't, but there are other 3 players on the ice that play a part. Also, zero top 6 RWers so Drai is needed there. Oh and an NHL worthy backup goalie. And Strome is an awful 3c. Lots of holes right now.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Any Oilers fan that wanted Eberle gone for nothing based on last years playoffs should definitely not want anything to do with an RNH - Patches centric deal. Unless there was a reasonable excuse for Pacioretty's play last post-season that came out later (injury?).

The Oilers' LW is the least of their worries. IMO there is a correlation between the defence being a dumpster fire and a lack of scoring. Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl should be a dominant line in the NHL and aren't, but there are other 3 players on the ice that play a part. Also, zero top 6 RWers so Drai is needed there. Oh and an NHL worthy backup goalie. And Strome is an awful 3c. Lots of holes right now.

To the bolded, huh? That line has played 8 of Draisaitl's 9 games together and has combined for 8 goals at 5 on 5 (Draisaitl 2-7-9, Maroon 2-4-6, McDavid 4-5-9 at 5 on 5 in 8 games). If 8 goals in 8 games at 5 on 5 is not a dominant line then I'm really not sure what is. They are by far the least of the teams worries.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
To the bolded, huh? That line has played 8 of Draisaitl's 9 games together and has combined for 8 goals at 5 on 5 (Draisaitl 2-7-9, Maroon 2-4-6, McDavid 4-5-9 at 5 on 5 in 8 games). If 8 goals in 8 games at 5 on 5 is not a dominant line then I'm really not sure what is. They are by far the least of the teams worries.

I'm not calling them "the problem". I'm saying they are capable of more and believe the defence being a dumpster fire is holding them back. They're getting points but not as much O-zone time and making other teams poop. Last year losing 2-0 was never out of reach 'cus Drai and McDavid kerPOW! Feels a bit different this season no? I could be wrong, adulting got in the way of watching every game so far.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not calling them "the problem". I'm saying they are capable of more and believe the defence being a dumpster fire is holding them back. They're getting points but not as much O-zone time and making other teams poop. Last year losing 2-0 was never out of reach 'cus Drai and McDavid kerPOW! Feels a bit different this season no? I could be wrong, adulting got in the way of watching every game so far.
I dunno, I feel like they've been more than fine and have had some absolutely dominant games. The main issue is no one on the D or bottom 6 is scoring and and the PP/PK/mediocre goaltending is killing us. I think it felt more like they were dominating last year because they were getting support from other lines. Its much easier to push it and get a goal back than it is to be relied on for 3+ goals or else you lose, and on most nights they're falling behind by 2 or 3 and the zero contribution from lines 3 and 4 are putting the full burden on them.

Special teams are still probably the biggest issue though. You can't win with a 60% PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad