Friedman: "If I'm the Edmonton Oilers, I'm calling the Montreal Canadiens and asking for Max Pacioretty"

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The only thing that keep RNH in the realm of reasonable ness is that he's slightly overpaid, and even then the idea of wanting significantly more than a 24 year old 2+C with two extra years on his deal for a wing rental is kinda crazy.

Straight across for RNH, or if they're in a similar spot come the 20 game mark call the season and make it for futures, reload at C via UFA in the off-season.
Base it on the Yandle/ Pominville deals for rentals + one season, and add since it's earlier in the year.
Something like 2019 2nd (1st if Oilers make final 4 or win division) + 2018 2nd (1st if Oilers make playoffs)+ Caggiula + Bear

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Pacioretty and Danault to Edmonton for Nugent Hopkins + 2nd rd pick to Montreal ? Is it over paying by Montreal maybe .. Sometimes you got to over pay for things you need and Montreal need a center who can play as a #2

Last edited:
Reactions: LiasAndersson

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pacioretty and Danault to Edmonton for Nugent Hopkins + 2nd rd pick to Montreal ? Is it over paying by Montreal maybe .. Sometimes you got to over pay for things you need and Montreal need a center who can play as a #2
I don't want to move Nuge, but we would almost have to take this deal in my opinion. Can Pac play RW? Has he ever been used in that role before? If so, I'd love to try this out:

Maroon-McDavid-Pacioretty
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Cagguila - Danault/Letestu - Kassian
Jokinen/Khaira - Letestu/Danault - Slepyshev

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
thats ok if you dont want to pay it or dont believe it but consistent 30-39 goal guys who play solid two ways and have 2 more years on a sweet deal is worth a ton. Teams would line up.

They might line up, but they sure as hell wouldn't be offering their best prospect AND a first AND a top 6 C

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Has Pacioretty ever been tried on RW? I could see him doing well there. If he did that on EDM it would allow the Oilers to shift Drai to C full time

Or keep Patches on LW and run a world-smashing line of Patches-McDavid-Drai.

We'd have absolutely nothing anywhere else for scoring up front , but that line would be fun as hell to watch.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
RNH and a 2nd for Pacioretty + Plekanec with money retained (even 50%, doesn't really matter with the Habs having $8 mill in space).

I don't want to trade Pacioretty, but Habs needs centres badly and have decent wingers.. for the Oilers, Pacioretty would be great with McDavid.

Plekanec can help with the loss of RNH for this year and chip in 25-30 pts on their third line.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I don't want to move Nuge, but we would almost have to take this deal in my opinion. Can Pac play RW? Has he ever been used in that role before? If so, I'd love to try this out:

Maroon-McDavid-Pacioretty
Lucic-Draisaitl-Strome
Cagguila - Danault/Letestu - Kassian
Jokinen/Khaira - Letestu/Danault - Slepyshev
Pacioretty is a left winger put him with McDavid both have speed they would be hard to shut down and Danault would be a perfect # 3 center with Letestu sliding back to #4 center .Would help both teams .

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Pacioretty is a left winger put him with McDavid both have speed they would be hard to shut down and Danault would be a perfect # 3 center with Letestu sliding back to #4 center .Would help both teams .
Nope. If he can't play RW we don't need him. No sense in creating a hole at C for yet another LW, even if said LW is as good as Pacioretty. McDavid's chemistry with Maroon is off the charts.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

That's a severe overpayment from the Habs and would cripple us for even longer.

ginomini

May 25, 2014

This is a serious overpayment and really is conter productive for Montreal. They need centres, trading Danault would be stupid as it would create a whole at 3C.

Montreal needs RNH and Danault. If you need to trade Danault to get said center, look elsewhere.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
They might line up, but they sure as hell wouldn't be offering their best prospect AND a first AND a top 6 C

My memory is fuzzy but im pretty sure i said the deal should be RNH and JP for Patches and a prospect/pick.

Patches is 4th in goals over the past 4 years. He is a consistent 30-35 goal guy. Add to that his strong 2 way play and sweet contract. He wont come cheap. That being said, you are right, some of the asks have been unrealistic but some of the offers have been as well.

RNH and Pulju for Patches and a pick or prospect isn't outrageous IMO

yup i did

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
My memory is fuzzy but im pretty sure i said the deal should be RNH and JP for Patches and a prospect/pick.

yup i did

Prospect/pick doesn't cut it, as I'm assuming it's not your first rounder and you're offering up guys like Juulsen and McCarron as always.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is a serious overpayment and really is conter productive for Montreal. They need centres, trading Danault would be stupid as it would create a whole at 3C.

Montreal needs RNH and Danault. If you need to trade Danault to get said center, look elsewhere.

Right, trades take two sides. Edmonton isn't exactly keen to dump RNH off a cliff for complementary pieces and futures. If that's all that's being offered then I don't see a fit.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Prospect/pick doesn't cut it, as I'm assuming it's not your first rounder and you're offering up guys like Juulsen and McCarron as always.

no of course not. The Habs are giving up the best player in the deal so...Probably a 3rd or someone like Lernout

Patches > RNH
Pick or Prospect < JP

Kinda balances out

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Right, trades take two sides. Edmonton isn't exactly keen to dump RNH off a cliff for complementary pieces and futures. If that's all that's being offered then I don't see a fit.

Dont kid yourself. they will need to deal him soon for cap reasons. we both know it. Also its not always a bout fair value. its about making your team better

( see Hall trade) not fair value but it made the Oilers much better

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Dont kid yourself. they will need to deal him soon for cap reasons. we both know it. Also its not always a bout fair value. its about making your team better

Dealing him isn't the same as throwing him away for Byron+.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

no of course not. The Habs are giving up the best player in the deal so...Probably a 3rd or someone like Lernout

Patches > RNH
Pick or Prospect < JP

Kinda balances out

Patches > RNH
Pick or Prospect < JP

Kinda balances out

Patches > RNH
3rd or Lernout aka the kind of assets everyone has in spades <<<<< JP.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Teams never lined up

Actually not really. Chia already on record in saying he doesn't have to move Nuge..theres other objects that can be moved in order to keep him

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
i never said Byron +

in fact Id want to keep Byron. That kid is awesome.....

Excellent, no deal to be had. I don't see what montreal could offer that would be worth it for Edmonton.

You referenced the Hall trade - that got us a piece we desperately needed, a top pairing RHD. Unless you have a 2nd pairing RHD that can move the puck and save us money, I don't see it happening.

And God this new interface sucks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
yea so?

The Habs are giving up the best player in the deal. Thats how this works. Best player plus small add for 1 good player and an unknown

Right, but centres are more valuable and RNH is much younger. Couple that with the fact that the Habs should be desperate and you're not dictating terms here.

If Chia decided he really wanted Patches he'd add to RNH I bet, but you're kidding yourself if you think you'd scoop a blue chipper like JP in the same deal when you're adding junk.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

So the answer to making our team better is getting rid of our 2C s well as our best prospect, who plays a position we aren't deep at, for a LW?

And a good solution to the Oilers likely impending cap issue is to trade away a cost controlled player in Pulju?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Teams never lined up

Actually not really. Chia already on record in saying he doesn't have to move Nuge..theres other objects that can be moved in order to keep him

Of course he said that. he is trying to keep the value of his asset. I can totally respect that....but its kinda bull feathers.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad